PDA

View Full Version : How potent is imbue arrow for casters?

CyberThread
2013-09-12, 02:33 PM
Now take this from the viewpoint of a level 18 wizard/cleric with two levels of arcane/divine archer.

How potent is the imbue arrow for what it qualifies for, any decent spell selection on it?

A_S
2013-09-12, 02:40 PM
AMF is the most common choice. It's not the worst. Probably not worth two caster levels in most cases, but it can be a fun little trick.

Then there's this classic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11663884&postcount=122). Note that Imbue Arrow overrides casting times.

Maginomicon
2013-09-12, 02:54 PM
Now take this from the viewpoint of a level 18 wizard/cleric with two levels of arcane/divine archer.

How potent is the imbue arrow for what it qualifies for, any decent spell selection on it?

Depending on who you ask, Wings of Flurry would be great for it, but that's a sorcerer-only spell.

(Personally, I interpret Wings of Flurry as being able to throw the AoE to 30 ft away from you and then center there, which allows it to have a maximum reach of up to 60 ft. (despite the inane "area effects stop at the spell's maximum range" RAW BS), but I understand why some would say it centers on you.)

You could also use it for centered-on-you buffs by aiming for a particular square (AC 5).

Imbue Arrow would have a shorter range than a Long Range spell at CL 20 (1200 ft.) but longer than a Medium Range spell at CL 20 (300ft.) unless you use a composite longbow and flight arrows ( (110 ft.+25 ft.)*10 RI = 1350 ft. ). There may also be a few ways to increase the range increment magically. With no such magical range increment buffs, that's about half the effective range of a typical real-world sniper rifle (~2625 ft.). Use True Strike the round before (ATK +20) and you'll break even on the range increment penalty (ATK -2*10 RI).

A_S
2013-09-12, 03:44 PM
(Personally, I interpret Wings of Flurry as being able to throw the AoE to 30 ft away from you and then center there, which allows it to have a maximum reach of up to 60 ft. (despite the inane "area effects stop at the spell's maximum range" RAW BS), but I understand why some would say it centers on you.)
So, I'd be the first to agree with you that spell descriptions would be easier to read if they'd written them all as "range = farthest away you can have the spell be centered." The actual rules do lead to pretty counter-intuitive spell description blocks.

But, given the actual rules, that "range 30/radius 30" thing is literally the only way it's possible to describe a PBAoE/"nova" spell that hits everything within a certain distance of the caster. I don't think it's fair to consider that interpretation "RAW BS" when there's no other way to describe such spells within the framework of 3.5's rules.

I mean, look at the descriptions for Bless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bless.htm) or AMF (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm). Do you consider it BS to interpret those spells as having to be centered on the caster?

*edit* Oh, and re: this thread, it doesn't matter how you interpret it when it comes to Arcane Archers. Imbue Arrow explicitly works to throw spells that can normally only be centered on the caster.

Sith_Happens
2013-09-12, 04:53 PM
I mean, look at the descriptions for Bless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bless.htm) or AMF (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm). Do you consider it BS to interpret those spells as having to be centered on the caster?

Both of those spells specifically say "centered on the caster." In fact, most such spells do, either in the "area" line or the description. Which leaves one wondering why they felt the need to have the range be an absolute cutoff on the effect, but that's hardly the strangest rule in the game.:smallsigh:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-12, 05:04 PM
Control Winds/weather is also really good for imnue arrows since it bypassed the 10 minute casting time.

CyberThread
2013-09-12, 05:05 PM
that is pretty cool, and may fit an elf cleric more then

wait....

ACF's?

A_S
2013-09-12, 05:09 PM
Both of those spells specifically say "centered on the caster." In fact, most such spells do, either in the "area" line or the description. Which leaves one wondering why they felt the need to have the range be an absolute cutoff on the effect, but that's hardly the strangest rule in the game.:smallsigh:
Yeah, that's true. I think it's pretty obvious that Wings of Flurry is intended to work the same way, but it would be nice if they'd clarified it a little more.

...or if they'd just made "range" work the way it's supposed to :\ .

ACF's?
What about them? Nobody in this thread has mentioned ACF's yet. Are you asking which ones would be good for an Arcane Archer? Or did you misread AMF (Anti-Magic Field)?

nedz
2013-09-12, 05:50 PM
So, I'd be the first to agree with you that spell descriptions would be easier to read if they'd written them all as "range = farthest away you can have the spell be centered." The actual rules do lead to pretty counter-intuitive spell description blocks.

That's not quite correct.

Range

A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin. If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted. Standard ranges include the following.

CyberThread
2013-09-12, 05:55 PM
Yeah, that's true. I think it's pretty obvious that Wings of Flurry is intended to work the same way, but it would be nice if they'd clarified it a little more.

...or if they'd just made "range" work the way it's supposed to :\ .

What about them? Nobody in this thread has mentioned ACF's yet. Are you asking which ones would be good for an Arcane Archer? Or did you misread AMF (Anti-Magic Field)?

<_< yeah that AMF was my bad, but while we are at it, sure ACF's :P

For a cleric seems good to have an elf cleric ACF's but seems as far as wizards are concerned, it might be best to stay normal, although am curious on prc's that change on how spells are cast

John Longarrow
2013-09-12, 06:05 PM
The feat farshot gives you 1.5 range. Toss that on a comp longbow of distance and you can really reach out and touch someone with a fireball.

Not as good as real world artillery, but able to mess with enemy encampments from a long enough distance that no one should be able to return fire.

holywhippet
2013-09-12, 06:27 PM
Consider if you were leading an army, you could drop a mass cure X wounds spell on any squad that was taking a beating from a distance. Likewise if you were facing an army you could blast them with mass inflict spells (or mass cure spells if they are undead).

A_S
2013-09-12, 06:49 PM
That's not quite correct.
Yeah, I know it's not how it actually works; I'm saying that if they'd made the rules work that way (which they didn't), spell descriptions would be easier to read.

So, AMF would be range 0, or maybe range personal, and radius 10. Fireball would either be able to affect stuff 20 feet farther away (which wouldn't be a huge deal) or they could have just adjusted all the ranges to be [radius] shorter, if they wanted everything to work exactly the way it does now.

That would allow spell descriptions to avoid this ridiculous "range 30 but actually range 0" stuff that trips people up with spells like Wings of Flurry.

I guess reasonable people can disagree on this. Maybe some would find it more unintuitive that a spell with a range of 100 feet could affect a target 120 feet away. But for me, the way the rules currently work is really confusing, and I always have to mentally subtract the radius from the printed range to get what I think of as the spell's range.

Maginomicon
2013-09-12, 07:07 PM
The feat farshot gives you 1.5 range. Toss that on a comp longbow of distance and you can really reach out and touch someone with a fireball.

Not as good as real world artillery, but able to mess with enemy encampments from a long enough distance that no one should be able to return fire.
Okay so a 110 ft composite longbow, doubled to 220 ft with the distance quality (and has at least a +1 to hit), increased by another half by the Far Shot feat to 330 ft, and finally the flight arrows give another 25 ft so 355 ft range increment. Ten range increments is 3550 ft, which is far over the effective range of a typical real-world sniper rifle (~2625 ft) but doesn't come remotely close to the current real-world record of ~8120 ft. Really, that's okay though, because even if you trade out the flight arrow for a slaying arrow (bringing the range down to 3300 ft), it's far enough away that you can take out a high-priority target and be in the next county before anyone finds where you shot from.

Besides, for the purposes of imbue arrow, you don't even need a slaying arrow.

unseenmage
2013-09-12, 07:32 PM
How might one "spam" this Imbue Arrow for maximum arrow-ey goodness?
Might a Custom Magic Item be in order?

Scratch that, thought it was a spell.
Though a way to gain additional uses of it would be nice.

Snowbluff
2013-09-12, 07:51 PM
You can also use it to trap people in Prismatic Spheres. >:D

John Longarrow
2013-09-12, 07:56 PM
Summon Monster at long range can be real fun to. The monster "Attacks your opponents to the best of its abilities." Just because your opponents are 3000 feet away..... :smallcool:

holywhippet
2013-09-12, 08:26 PM
Summon Monster at long range can be real fun to. The monster "Attacks your opponents to the best of its abilities." Just because your opponents are 3000 feet away..... :smallcool:

I'm not sure you can actually use it like that. The description says it is for area spells and summon monster isn't a spell that works over an area per se. Fireball would work because it works over an area.

Snowbluff
2013-09-12, 08:34 PM
Hey guys, what do you think about using splitting arrows?

Prime32
2013-09-12, 08:36 PM

How potent is the imbue arrow for what it qualifies for, any decent spell selection on it?Try glyph of warding (www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10643).

herrhauptmann
2013-09-12, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, what do you think about using splitting arrows?

Awesome. And abuseable.
But I wouldn't be surprised if the DM says that only one arrow gets the imbued spell.

Snowbluff
2013-09-12, 08:49 PM
Awesome. And abuseable.
But I wouldn't be surprised if the DM says that only one arrow gets the imbued spell.

Only one arrow is being imbued. There just happens to be 2 when you shoot! :smalltongue:

Renegade Paladin
2013-09-12, 09:10 PM
AMF is the most common choice. It's not the worst. Probably not worth two caster levels in most cases, but it can be a fun little trick.

Then there's this classic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11663884&postcount=122). Note that Imbue Arrow overrides casting times.
Are we talking about 3.5 or Pathfinder? It isn't clear, but if the latter they fixed that bit of stupidity. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer#TOC-Imbue-Arrow-Su-)

You can use it as many times per day as you have area spells to cast, so I'm not sure what you're asking. :smallwink:

Snowbluff
2013-09-12, 10:48 PM
Are we talking about 3.5 or Pathfinder? It isn't clear, but if the latter they fixed that bit of stupidity. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer#TOC-Imbue-Arrow-Su-)

What the incompetents at Paizo call a bug, I call a feature. The spells that are area of effect and have a long casting time are really rare. I can't name one past Fimbulwinter. It's not worth fixing, AFAIC.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-09-12, 11:29 PM
What the incompetents at Paizo call a bug, I call a feature. The spells that are area of effect and have a long casting time are really rare. I can't name one past Fimbulwinter. It's not worth fixing, AFAIC.

Guards and Wards.

My favorite impractical spell that you never see get cast by the party, since they're basically always the ones assaulting a compound/dungeon. But with AA, one bow shot in the BBEG's hideout and all of a sudden, you have home field advantage. :smallcool:

Snowbluff
2013-09-12, 11:36 PM
Guards and Wards.

My favorite impractical spell that you never see get cast by the party, since they're basically always the ones assaulting a compound/dungeon. But with AA, one bow shot in the BBEG's hideout and all of a sudden, you have home field advantage. :smallcool:

Hmm... I do like this spell. I hardly ever get to use it, though. Then again, this is something you are doing at a pretty high level.

nedz
2013-09-13, 06:03 AM
Yeah, I know it's not how it actually works; I'm saying that if they'd made the rules work that way (which they didn't), spell descriptions would be easier to read.

So, AMF would be range 0, or maybe range personal, and radius 10. Fireball would either be able to affect stuff 20 feet farther away (which wouldn't be a huge deal) or they could have just adjusted all the ranges to be [radius] shorter, if they wanted everything to work exactly the way it does now.

That would allow spell descriptions to avoid this ridiculous "range 30 but actually range 0" stuff that trips people up with spells like Wings of Flurry.

I guess reasonable people can disagree on this. Maybe some would find it more unintuitive that a spell with a range of 100 feet could affect a target 120 feet away. But for me, the way the rules currently work is really confusing, and I always have to mentally subtract the radius from the printed range to get what I think of as the spell's range.

The real crazy stuff happens when you start to use Sculpt Spell.
Compare Fireball and Lightning Bolt — two very similar spells.
Now I can sculpt a Fireball into a 120' line, but if I sculpt a Lightning Bolt into a 20' spread then it has a fixed range of 120'

Renegade Paladin
2013-09-13, 06:51 PM
You can't? Hallow, control weather, glyph of warding, the aforementioned guards and wards, hallucinatory terrain, blizzard, death hail, and several others not springing immediately to mind would like a word with you. :smallconfused:

Snowbluff
2013-09-13, 06:57 PM
You can't? Hallow, control weather, glyph of warding, the aforementioned guards and wards, hallucinatory terrain, blizzard, death hail, and several others not springing immediately to mind would like a word with you. :smallconfused:

So spells that are better replicated with other spells. Got it. I guess I missed them because Fimbulwinter has a more impressing effect. So how many of these would make you think "OMG he's two CL behind and breaking the game!"? How many of those are present in the PF spell list? How many of them fit under both categories?

CyberThread
2013-09-13, 06:59 PM
how comparable is it to a divine archer, using druid or cleric?

Not ready to ask about archivist as they get everything anyways

Piggy Knowles
2013-09-13, 07:28 PM
I made this list a while ago, for obvious reasons. All area spells with long casting times that can be reduced to a standard action via Imbue Arrow.

AREA SPELLS WITH ABSURDLY LONG CASTING TIMES

Anticipate Teleportation
Apocalypse from the Sky (I was really hoping this would be first on the list - stupid Anticipate Teleportation!)
Blinding Glory (Long duration Daylight in a huge area... pretty cool to shout "let there be light!" and fire this off, but really not worth a level 9 spell.)
Consecrate Battlefield
Control Weather (The best effects still don't come online for another ten minutes, unfortunately, but this is the spell that made me look into this as a tactic.)
Desecrate Battlefield
Energy Transformation Field
Evil Weather (This one might actually be worthwhile.)
Fimbulwinter (Are you bored of weather spells yet? I am!)
Forbiddance
Glyph of Warding
Greater Anticipate Teleportation
Greater Glyph of Warding
Guards and Wards (Fun!)
Hallow
Hallucinatory Terrain
Hide the Path
Hindight (Know everything about an area, instantly.)
Mage's Private Sanctum
Nature's Rampart
Raise Hummock (Holy geez this is an expensive spell to cast - hope you like swamps!)
Screen
Shadow Landscape
Shifting Paths
Skyrift (Would be way cooler without the crazy focus.)
Spread of Savagery (Cool spell, but what is up with the material components from BoVD? Brain fluid? Really?)
Unhallow
Utterdark
Weather Eye (Probably the stupidest possible use of this.)
Zone of Respite

Re: how comparable it is to a divine archer, note that imbue arrow doesn't actually specify that the spell must be arcane or divine - you can actually already use it with divine spells as written. (However, you'll need some arcane casting to qualify.)

My favorite arcane archer build these days combines arcane archer with chameleon - imbue any spell up to sixth level, arcane or divine, from any list. Requires playing a half-elf and either flaws or the Half-Elf Paragon class to take both Human Heritage and Able Learner at first level. I've got a version of that build in my sig.

TuggyNE
2013-09-13, 07:49 PM
Anticipate Teleportation

How would this even work? :smallconfused:

CyberThread
2013-09-13, 07:57 PM
It doesn't that is why I did not include it in my own list that I made up

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16013662

Renegade Paladin
2013-09-13, 08:53 PM
So spells that are better replicated with other spells. Got it. I guess I missed them because Fimbulwinter has a more impressing effect. So how many of these would make you think "OMG he's two CL behind and breaking the game!"? How many of those are present in the PF spell list? How many of them fit under both categories?
One CL behind, since PF arcane archer advances casting. :smallwink: Spells that have long casting times have them for a reason.

For extra hilarity you could cast greater glyph of warding, select the spell glyph option, and put geas/quest in it. Cut two ten minute castings down to a standard action, and whoever you shoot has to do your bidding. :smalltongue: Or if you just want to kill him, bind harm into the glyph and the arrow takes care of the one hit point it leaves. Since the glyph spells are area effect and can have any other spell of their level or lower tied in, if an arcane archer has access to them it allows for shenanigans galore, ranging from bestow curse to plane shift.

Summon stampede could be amusing, though it's PF-only and a full round casting time. Shoot a dude, and he gets run over by a giant herd of cattle. :smallbiggrin:

avr
2013-09-13, 09:09 PM
Note that in PF in a moment without thought, the official line became that spell-likes can qualify you for PrCs requiring casting. Arcane Archer no longer requires you to be an elf or half-elf, either. So no arcane casting dip should be required for a PF arcane archer ...

Snowbluff
2013-09-13, 09:13 PM
One CL behind, since PF arcane archer advances casting. :smallwink: Spells that have long casting times have them for a reason.
:smallslapsthatwinkoffyourface: :smalltongue:

I know that. It's just that Arcane Archer takes forever to enter with raw Wizard.

For extra hilarity you could cast greater glyph of warding, select the spell glyph option, and put geas/quest in it. Cut two ten minute castings down to a standard action, and whoever you shoot has to do your bidding. The other two weren't worth mentioning. This is a good idea, however.

Summon stampede could be amusing, though it's PF-only and a full round casting time. Shoot a dude, and he gets run over by a giant herd of cattle. :smallbiggrin: Pfft... HAHAHAHA! :smallbiggrin:

Standard and full round aren't too far off in terms of usability. Spells made standard from minute+ casting times would have more effect.

Jack_Simth
2013-09-13, 09:39 PM

The 3.5 version has no listed limit, and is thus usable as long as you have spells to power it.

Come to that, I just checked, and the Pathfinder version is the same in that regard.

TuggyNE
2013-09-13, 09:47 PM
For extra hilarity you could cast greater glyph of warding, select the spell glyph option, and put geas/quest in it. Cut two ten minute castings down to a standard action, and whoever you shoot has to do your bidding. :smalltongue: Or if you just want to kill him, bind harm into the glyph and the arrow takes care of the one hit point it leaves. Since the glyph spells are area effect and can have any other spell of their level or lower tied in, if an arcane archer has access to them it allows for shenanigans galore, ranging from bestow curse to plane shift.

If you can merge this with (some of) the tricks from The Master of Glyphs (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10643.0), you'd get even more awesomeness.

nedz
2013-09-14, 08:53 AM
"My friend is in trouble, I need to get him out of there.
I shoot him with an Imbued Arrow — Phantom Steed"
(Phantom Steed has a very long casting time)

Imbued Arrow — Dimension Door is another amusing get out.

Imbued Arrow — Heal, would also be funny.

For offensive uses

Imbued Arrow — Plane Shift is an amusing attack.

Imbued Arrow — Summon X could also be hilarious.
First they get him by an arrow, then they get full attacked by some (large) critter.

Chronos
2013-09-14, 11:47 AM
Remember, it needs to be an area spell.

jaybird
2013-09-14, 11:56 AM
Consider if you were leading an army, you could drop a mass cure X wounds spell on any squad that was taking a beating from a distance. Likewise if you were facing an army you could blast them with mass inflict spells (or mass cure spells if they are undead).

There's GOT to be better spells than the Mass Cure/Inflict line for doing damage. In fact, I'm pretty sure they make vanilla Fireball look good.

Renegade Paladin
2013-09-14, 12:17 PM
"My friend is in trouble, I need to get him out of there.
I shoot him with an Imbued Arrow — Phantom Steed"
(Phantom Steed has a very long casting time)

Imbued Arrow — Dimension Door is another amusing get out.

Imbued Arrow — Heal, would also be funny.

For offensive uses

Imbued Arrow — Plane Shift is an amusing attack.

Imbued Arrow — Summon X could also be hilarious.
First they get him by an arrow, then they get full attacked by some (large) critter.
It has to be an area spell. That's why I was bringing up the spell glyph version of glyph of warding, since it allows single target spells to be bound into it and it's an area spell that qualifies for Imbue Arrow. And glyph of warding specifies that the spell must be harmful, so no heal or dimension door allowed.

Snowbluff
2013-09-14, 12:22 PM
It has to be an area spell. That's why I was bringing up the spell glyph version of glyph of warding, since it allows single target spells to be bound into it and it's an area spell that qualifies for Imbue Arrow. And glyph of warding specifies that the spell must be harmful, so no heal or dimension door allowed.

Excuse me? If you can't figure out how to hurt someone with DDoor, you haven't met gravity. Or water. Or rocks. :smalltongue:

The spell isn't (Harmless), anyway. Too bad about Heal being Harmless while it clearly isn't to zombies.

Renegade Paladin
2013-09-14, 02:03 PM
Excuse me? If you can't figure out how to hurt someone with DDoor, you haven't met gravity. Or water. Or rocks. :smalltongue:
Creatures brought with dimension door must be willing. I suppose if your definition of "harmful" means "doesn't have (harmless) in the save entry," you could do it, but it would do nothing.

Snowbluff
2013-09-14, 02:09 PM
Creatures brought with dimension door must be willing. I suppose if your definition of "harmful" means "doesn't have (harmless) in the save entry," you could do it, but it would do nothing.

You're right, but here comes the second part.

You've just triggered a magical trap? Teleport Y/N?

Some spells restrict you to willing targets only. Declaring yourself as a willing target is something that can be done at any time (even if you’re flat-footed or it isn’t your turn). Unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing, but a character who is conscious but immobile or helpless (such as one who is bound, cowering, grappling, paralyzed, pinned, or stunned) is not automatically willing.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-09-14, 02:11 PM
There's GOT to be better spells than the Mass Cure/Inflict line for doing damage. In fact, I'm pretty sure they make vanilla Fireball look good.

Mass Heal/Harm is hilarious.

jaybird
2013-09-14, 08:00 PM
Mass Heal/Harm is hilarious.

I suppose it's a better option than Meteor Swarm :smallamused: