PDA

View Full Version : [3.5+PF] Cool spells for eternal wands

Novawurmson
2013-09-12, 02:56 PM
As a bit of background: My characters hate consumables. If I'm lucky, they'll actually write down any that they loot as treasure - it's usually straight to a merchant with them.

In trying to find fun, useful, and interesting items for them to loot, I've been able to ascertain that they enjoy items with per-day effects, which the MIC is thankfully full of.

We're currently doing a campaign in Eberron, which led me to eternal wands. I had a merchant offer them an eternal wand of benign transposition, and they loved it.

Now I'm asking: What are some other cool spells or powers (I'm fine handing out an "eternal djore") that could work as an eternal wand? Good traits include not being dependent on caster level or saves, so utility/buffs are generally best.

ZethVorador
2013-09-12, 06:24 PM
Eternal wands in my experience are amazing. Most of the time you'll find the most bang for your buck in utility spells. Identify, Read magic, comprehend languages etc. Those spells that don't quite make it into the day to day list and end up getting replaced by damage spells. But I wouldn't say combat isn't for eternal wands either. My Rogue/Assassin is currently making great use of eternal wands like true strike, grease and expeditious retreat and of course plugging them into a weapons wand chamber is just icing. The best thing that I learned about wands was the casting time on the spell is the casting time for the wand. UMD still applies to relevant characters but it's still handy.

Detect magic/psionics, entangling ectoplasm, control sound, featherfall, flight, rope trick, See Invisible/Arcane Sight, locate object, knock and Psionic Divination are all handy ones I've seen as well.

Alex12
2013-09-12, 06:39 PM
I currently have, as a backup character, a Necropolitan Dread Necromancer who keeps an eternal wand of Disguise Undead stored between his radius and ulna.
Prestidigitation may be the most useful level-0 spell in existence.
Summoning effects are fun, as are the assorted utility spells (2 Identify spells per day forever? Yes please!)