PDA

View Full Version : Casting from a Scroll but at higher level

WebTiefling
2013-09-13, 12:28 AM
Let's say my CL is 14 but I'm casting a typical Scroll with Fireball.

Is the damage from the spell based on my CL or the typical minimum-necessary-for-the-creator-to-cast-the-spell CL of a scroll?

I can't find anything in the books that describes that circumstance. Am I missing something?

EDIT: And if I use the CL the scroll's creator cast it at, is there any way I can somehow make it cast at my higher level?

Qc Storm
2013-09-13, 12:32 AM
Let's say my CL is 14 but I'm casting a typical Scroll with Fireball.

Is the damage from the spell based on my CL or the typical minimum-necessary-for-the-creator-to-cast-the-spell CL of a scroll?

I can't find anything in the books that describes that circumstance. Am I missing something?

Typically minimum CL to cast the spell. You can pay exorbitant amounts to increase it.

Blasting with scrolls isn't very effective.

WebTiefling
2013-09-13, 12:37 AM
Yeah, blasting was just an example.

I want to cast a really high level Permanency spell to make it hard to dispel. However, I'm a cleric and don't have Permanency in my list, and I don't have the Time domain to add it through a Domain.

So, I was hoping that I could find an NPC cleric who does have the Time domain and have him scribe the Permanency scroll for me. Then I could cast it at a much higher spell level by buffing my own CL way up.

Is there any way for me, a cleric, to accomplish that or its equivalent?

WebTiefling
2013-09-13, 12:52 AM
Oh! Just had an idea. Could I grab a Rod of Metamagic of Heighten Spell and use it to heighten the spell I cast from the scroll?

That would solve the problem, if it's possible.

Deophaun
2013-09-13, 01:06 AM
What you want is greater anyspell in the Spell Compendium. You need access to the Spell domain, bu that would let you "prepare" Permanency in your 6th level Domain slot.

But generally, no, you cannot use your caster level or metamagic feats (or metamagic enhancers granted by items) on scrolls. There are some classes that can do this (like the Artificer), but that's not really helpful for you.

Crake
2013-09-13, 01:06 AM
Heightening doesn't affect how hard a spell is to dispel, just the order of which spells are dispelled from a target during a targetted dispel.

If you don't have the time domain to get permanency, even another cleric scribing a divine scroll of permanency wouldn't let you cast from it. Unless you could cast permanency yourself (ie it's on your spell list somewhere) you cant cast it from the scroll, barring using UMD. Even then it would only cast at the scroll's CL, not your own.

Edit: if you have access to the magic domain though, you can cast from a scroll of permanency as if you were a wizard of your cleric level

WebTiefling
2013-09-13, 08:18 AM
Deophaun - I'll do that with the Greater Anyspell if I can't figure out another way.

Since I don't have the Time domain, and I can't seem to get Permanency into my list without waiting to get Greater Anyspell, I think the only other option I'm seeing is to hire a cleric with the Time domain. Then pay and arrange for him to crank up his CL a bunch.

Crake - why couldn't I cast Perm from a scroll without UMD? As long as it's a Divine spell, even if it's higher than my level, I just need to roll a CL check to see if I can cast it, but that's it.

For casting a scroll:

If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC=scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully.

Also, the DC for dispelling a spell is "11 + the spell's caster level." If my caster level gets cranked up to 30, then the DC to dispel it is 41.

If I cast something from a scroll, then it is cast at the scroll's CL, and I can't seem to crank that up. (Unless I'm an Artificer, maybe, but I'm not)

Diarmuid
2013-09-13, 08:31 AM
One of the three criteria that's being referenced in that quote is having the spell on the scroll on your spell list. Permanency is not on your spell list so you would need to make the UMD check.

Just because it's a "divine" spell doesnt automatically mean you can easily cast it from a scroll.

WebTiefling
2013-09-13, 10:10 AM
Ahhh, I stand (or actually sit) corrected.

Hmmm, I might have to go for the Time domain somehow. Getting the Greater Anyspell is an option, but that will take several levels longer than I prefer to wait.

That would make it easier - figure out how I can get the Time domain, and then just cast the freaking thing myself and forget all the machinations.