PDA

View Full Version : Frenzied Berserker and Righteous Wrath

littlebum2002
2013-09-13, 01:08 AM
We're doing a beat-em-up run soon, and I figured this would be the perfect chance to try a FRENZIED BERSERKER. After all, they aren't usually welcome in runs, and I wouldn't usually want to play one. But we have lots of restrictions on our classes, and we're getting lots of extra feats, and no one seems upset about it (they actually seem to find it funny) so I'll try it.

Anyway, the DM suggested a feat called "righteous wrath" which is supposed to keep you clear headed in rage.

(P.S. if you are the DM of this campaign, please stop reading now!)

Anyway, I read the feat:

While raging, you maintain clarity of mind unusual among barbarians. You are perfectly able to deal nonlethal damage, stop your attacks to show mercy, and distinguish friend from foe even in the heat of your rage.

However, it specifically mentions RAGING, not frenzying, so I assume it's not really supposed to work on frenzys(not that I'm going to point that out to the DM). But if that's the case, does it really do anything at all? Aren't you supposed to know friend from foe during a rage anyway? So, unless this feat applies to frenzys, it's basically saying "you can do what you could do anyway" (it does do other stuff, too, but why would it even mention letting you do something you can already do?). So because of this I'm inclined to think it DOES work on frenzys, which makes that much less likely to piss off the rest of the group, but

maybe a LITTLE less fun, too. After all, isn't some of the fun trying to figure out how to turn him off one the battle ends?

So, what is it?

herrhauptmann
2013-09-13, 02:15 AM
Yeah, it's pretty worthless as a feat.
There might be (have been) a restriction about regular barbarians not being able to do nonlethal and accidentally killing allies in older editions, but danged if I can remember it.

If it was in older editions, it's entirely possible this feat is a mistake made by a designer who forgot it didn't apply anymore. Heck, elves being immune to sleep and Ghoul's touch is a carryover from Chainmail.
It's also possible the designer knew that the FB was coming out (or was already out) and wanted a feat to help them. But he forgot that they frenzied instead of raging.

Qc Storm
2013-09-13, 03:36 AM
One way you can help is with Steadfast Determination and some Saving Throw Rerolls, in case of a 1.

Waker
2013-09-13, 05:35 AM
By RAW, it has no effect on your Frenzy. You are better off bringing up the issue with your DM. Since they were the one who actually pointed out the feat, they probably won't have any issue applying it to Frenzy as well.

littlebum2002
2013-09-13, 06:38 AM
One way you can help is with Steadfast Determination and some Saving Throw Rerolls, in case of a 1.

That's what I was planning on doing.

This feat is pretty much broken either way. If it applies to rages, it's worthless. If it applies to frenzies, it's too powerful. Sorry Munchkins, but I think I'm gonna decline to take it.

Greenish
2013-09-13, 08:01 AM
You can tell friend from foe even while in frenzy, anyway. That's why you attack them last. :smalltongue:

Chronos
2013-09-13, 09:00 AM
It's a common interpretation to say that it applies to all rage-like abilities. Whether you consider that interpretation a houserule or not is a matter of taste. But given that the DM was the one who recommended it, I would say go for it.

This feat is pretty much broken either way. If it applies to rages, it's worthless. If it applies to frenzies, it's too powerful. Sorry Munchkins, but I think I'm gonna decline to take it.
You shouldn't worry about being too powerful. First, the DM recommended it, and may well be assuming that you'll be overpowered to a certain degree, to be able to survive the challenges he has planned for you. If you do end up too powerful, that's his problem, not yours. Second, you're still a mundane, even if you are a mundane with a really high strength. The party's spellcasters may well accidentally end up being significantly more powerful than you.