PDA

View Full Version : Most akward in character moment?

Aimbot
2006-12-24, 01:24 AM
Have you ever been in a situation where your character screwed up so bad you were embarrassed for him? I'm currently running a hairless Dwarven Defender (long story) named Jormund at level eight in a low magic campaign. He's Lawful Good, but I play him as more a Roy LG than a Miko LG. The party is mostly evil with a neutral or two. Early in the campaign we entered an inn in a wood and were beseeched to find the innkeeper’s kidnapped daughter. She was kidnapped by a group of large hominids (bugbears, we'd later discover) about two weeks beforehand. They left a letter in the field she was captured in saying that 1000 gold needed to be delivered to a specific spot under some rock in the badlands. The party spent 20 or 30 minutes debating what priority the trip was and whether we were prepared enough when my character piped in:

(We've haven't played a session in a few weeks and I can't recall the names of the other pcs, so it's just going to be classes, unfortunately.)

Jormund: 50 gold says she's dead.
Gladiator: Why do you say that? It's a ransom.
Jormund: A two week old ransom. One that orders cash to be planted before the girl is delivered.
Gladiator: Well, yeah, but that's awfully shaky grounds to make a bet on.
Jormund: Large demi-humans. A Poorly written ransom note.
Rouge/Monk: If you're implying that they're not bright, that seems more the reason they'd think they'd need to keep the girl alive.
Jormund: I'm implying that they're simple. These things have two options: carry, feed and shelter the pretty, tasty little elf girl or rape and or devour her and still collect a sizable ransom.
Rouge/Monk: Well, that makes sense, but do you really think they'd realize-
Jormund: Stupid and cunning are two different things entirely. They even called the place they kidnapped her, by all accounts a nondescript flowered clearing, "the killing place," for crying out loud.
Innkeeper: Oh god, you think my Elaine is dead?!

Caught me completely off guard. "Wait! We're still in the inn?"

Everyone nods.

"I thought we were out by the wagon checking suplies?"

Everyone shakes their heads.

"So I tried to start a dead pool for a man's daughter in front of him?"

Everyone nods.

Jormund: Err... No. I'm sure she's alright... Heh.

Big_Red_Bird
2006-12-24, 01:38 AM
First off, Jormund the Dwarf wins at life (though it might just be that I would consider doing that in reality).
I wouldn't say I've had any embarrassing in-character moments, since I usually DM, though I can say I've been embarrassed by my own DMing skills at times (I like to think I've learned better).

Necomancer
2006-12-24, 01:48 AM
I think mine was when I played Pol the elven's Cleric of the nameless god of death and tacos.

Earlier he got in a fight with a woman over a few dead zombies. Long story short she somehow got a crush on Pol and kissed him, he later found out she was a very well perserved lich. He had a girlfriend so he didn't go further but damn was he tempted too.

Later on he was talking to a resident of the inn he stayed at and he began talking about his day and she his. She mentioned a sister she had and while Heith was talking about how great a kisser this girl was he realized the lich girl and the woman he was talking to were sisters...

The funny part was when instead of dealing with this he ran to the nearest window and jump out, it was closed and he landed in a thorn bush...Later on the woman at the inn actualy said "Did he really jump out the window?"

Shazzbaa
2006-12-24, 04:32 AM
I'd be better at keeping my dignity intact if people would just (http://shazzbaa.foskie.com/shazztemplate.php?image=/sketch/DND_SC_demeaning.jpg) stop PETTING (http://shazzbaa.foskie.com/shazztemplate.php?image=/sketch/DND_SC_poordarrik.jpg) ME! :smallmad:

Truthfully, I'm constantly embarrassed for poor Darrik's sake, because the man is just not very good at controlling his lycanthropy. Suddenly turning into a wolf and being unable to explain yourself until dawn is, yes, most unpleasantly awkward.

And... Aimbot, that's... amazing. ^^;

MrNexx
2006-12-24, 05:26 AM
Can totally understand Jormund's position.

Was playing a ganger; just run up from San Francisco after the Trads trashed us, trying to settle out in Seattle. One of our guys got fragged in a firefight, and our resident jerk decided I had to butcher him into small bags for easy disposal. Beat me bloody in order to convince me.

Next day, the mother-hooping fragger tries to order me around again. I tell him where he can take his orders, and that if he wants anything done, he can take the body and bury it out in the woods himself.

Due to this being a PBP, I did not realize I was in the parking lot of a motel when I said this. The busy parking lot of a motel. We left very quickly.

Sir_Banjo
2006-12-24, 06:21 AM
The most embarrassing moment came when I referred to the dead after a battle as the "butcher's bill". My character was a mercenary and spent all his time around soldiers so I was used to being fairly casual about such things. The healer, who'd spent most of the night operating on these poor volk, took offense. So began a rather awkard discussion with me trying to dig myself out of that whole. Rather well done by the dm.

Culwch
2006-12-24, 07:56 AM
World of Darkness. After a 2 year-long campaign the PCs (a Toreador, a Brujah and an Assamite) managed to purge NYC of Sabbat and claim dominion (as improbable as it is, bear with me. RPG is about having fun.)

A new player wants to join: a Gangrel vampirised on a whim of his feral master and abandoned, a stowaway on a tanker going from Brasil to NYC. He disembarks, makes a haven in the docks. People start to disappear as bodies drained of blood, with bitemarks on the necks start to appear. Poor guy knows nothing of Masquerade, he's not even completely certain what is happening to him.

The party allows him to create a sizeable debt before revealing themselves to him. A dramatic scene atop one of NY's tallest buildings, howling wind, full moon, the works. The Toreador Prince employs his Majesty to get the Gangrel's full undivided attention. He goes on to lecture him on the finer points of undeath and vampirism, introduce Masquerade and induct him into the coterie. The gangrel is speechless, overwhelmed by the sheer majesty of the Prince.

When the final words of the Prince trail off into the silence, the Gangrel is finally able to speak. The words he manages to find are these: "No comprende?!"

His player never cared to buy a dot in Languages for him and the poor sucker knew only Portugese (or Spanish, not that we cared). The prince spoke in English. That was the end of the campaign.

Sugarmouse
2006-12-25, 12:12 AM
Can totally understand Jormund's position.

Was playing a ganger; just run up from San Francisco after the Trads trashed us, trying to settle out in Seattle. One of our guys got fragged in a firefight, and our resident jerk decided I had to butcher him into small bags for easy disposal. Beat me bloody in order to convince me.

Next day, the mother-hooping fragger tries to order me around again. I tell him where he can take his orders, and that if he wants anything done, he can take the body and bury it out in the woods himself.

Due to this being a PBP, I did not realize I was in the parking lot of a motel when I said this. The busy parking lot of a motel. We left very quickly.

It was very amusing to read about at the time, Nexxie. :smallsmile:

Rick and I shared quite a few chuckles about that one.

Viscount Einstrauss
2006-12-25, 12:24 AM
Last Thursday my character got put in jail for "drunken disorderly conduct", after (failing) to cheat at a drinking game, disguising myself as a halfling (I was a changeling), completely ignoring my fellow PC's attempts at explaining to the guards why he shouldn't be thrown in jail, and then somehow managing to not finish lying my way out of the situation despite a HUGE bluff skill for a level 1. I was so ticked, I filled the chamber pot in my cell up and threw it at the other halfling that got tossed in with me because they couldn't tell which one of us was the culprit.

But I'm still kind of mad at the DM. He didn't tell me until after the night's session was over that I was failing my bluff checks despite good rolls and a high stat because he was taking a ridiculous chunk out of it for being "drunk". This especially made me angry because my cheating made it so that I'd only downed two glasses of ale by that point, not enough to warrant the -8 on everything he was slapping me with.

MrNexx
2006-12-25, 12:26 AM
Who were you playing, Sugarmouse? Were you the mother-fragging hoop in question? And what the Hel happened to Riki that he just disappeared in that? I finally wound up taking my writing about Hank to MySpace.

Jades
2006-12-25, 12:32 AM
My current character, Coulter Guile (Warlock 1/Cleric 4) is the reincarnation of the ancient god of Healing, Magic, Chaos, and Good. Half of my mind is in my staff, and the other is, well, in me. My staff talks to people, when I'm not paying attention to it.

We were in a bar.
Talking Hat: You need to talk to this hot chick named Quanji.
Random PC: She's a God.
Staff: Good, so are/am we/I... this is a grammatical nightmare, why didn't I predict this?
Random PC: You're a god? Prove it.
Staff: *turns undead, just trying to get some holy mojo going*
Bartender: *is turned and destroyed*
Random PC: You are a God!

Later, talking to some demons.

Goliath PC: We're here looking for a sword.
Demons: Why should we give it to you?
Goliath PC: *points at me* He's a God, and he'll destroy you if you don't.
Demons: *douse torches and begin to gank us from the darkness*

Indoril
2006-12-25, 12:40 AM
I'd be better at keeping my dignity intact if people would just (http://shazzbaa.foskie.com/shazztemplate.php?image=/sketch/DND_SC_demeaning.jpg) stop PETTING (http://shazzbaa.foskie.com/shazztemplate.php?image=/sketch/DND_SC_poordarrik.jpg) ME! :smallmad:

Truthfully, I'm constantly embarrassed for poor Darrik's sake, because the man is just not very good at controlling his lycanthropy. Suddenly turning into a wolf and being unable to explain yourself until dawn is, yes, most unpleasantly awkward.

And... Aimbot, that's... amazing. ^^;

I laugh at Darrik's discomfort. Expect more in the future :smallbiggrin: .

Sugarmouse
2006-12-25, 01:11 AM
I played John Tanaka.

Yah, Riki disappeared on a job. Then he came back. I got an email from him about a year and a half ago, and I think he may even have been in WoW.

[/derail]

In the spirit of the thread- my moment was in Earthdawn.

My Swordmaster had been horror-marked (not good, m'kay?), and the Horror chose an in-opportune time to freeze me in place. Namely when I was following a Thief who supposedly had information on someone I was hunting.

Needless to say, the Thief circled back, and proceeded to take everything of value I had; including two silver earrings that were removed oh so painfully.

Of course, this being a RBDM, ten minutes after that, some drunken Airsailors showed up...

Valantas was a very sore Elf for about a day or so.

MrNexx
2006-12-25, 01:22 AM
Ok, so this MUST have been Riki DMing...

Necomancer
2006-12-25, 01:42 AM
I played John Tanaka.

Yah, Riki disappeared on a job. Then he came back. I got an email from him about a year and a half ago, and I think he may even have been in WoW.

[/derail]

My Swordmaster had been horror-marked (not good, m'kay?), and the Horror chose an in-opportune time to freeze me in place. Namely when I was following a Thief who supposedly had information on someone I was hunting.

Needless to say, the Thief circled back, and proceeded to take everything of value I had; including two silver earrings that were removed oh so painfully.

Of course, this being a RBDM, ten minutes after that, some drunken Airsailors showed up...

Valantas was a very sore Elf for about a day or so.

Sadly I know a DM who would do this.

Sugarmouse
2006-12-25, 03:27 AM
Hehe. Now now, Nexx, easy on the vague hint of bitterness. :) Actually it was my regular DM, egged on by the ED buff of our group.

BnF95
2006-12-25, 05:45 AM
As a player, my most embarrassing moment was during a Mechwarrior game. Our unit (12 PCs) formed a company, after playing for the better part of a year (49 sessions) and equipped with LAMs (Land-Air Mechs), we ALL blew our drop rolls (in Aerospace Fighter mode no less) and crashed into the planet. All dead.

As a GM, the most embarrassing moment I've ever witnessed was in Shadowrun. A team of 8 high-tech runners (mostly alphawared and/or initiated wizzers) packing grade a bang-bangs to Scotland that they were able to smuggle into the country or buy there in the black market. When they found clues leading them out into the wilderness, they found out that they didn't have enough money to rent a vehicle. They didn't have time to steal a vehicle, so instead they rented bicycles. Can you imagine how ridiculous they must've looked?

Khantalas
2006-12-25, 07:11 AM
That happened to a friend of mine, in a game I was DMing.

There was an AD&D boxed set, if I recall correctly. Its adventures involved xvargs, bugbears, vampires (actually, that was a wight) and red dragons. Well, playing those adventures, my friend got frustrated with someone in the inn. She said, jokingly, "I take an arrow, pull the string of the bow and release." I said "Make an attack roll." She did, it was a 20. I said "Roll damage." She did, and I can't remember the result, but it was enough to kill the guy. In the middle of an inn. Needless to say, the party got arrested and executed. She kept on saying she didn't mean it.

Lesson to be learned: Never joke out-of-game about something that can be done in-game... especially in the middle of the gaming session.

blackout
2006-12-25, 07:23 AM
My most awkward moment has to be when my all-monster party walked into a bar and all of a sudden, stuff started being broken, or set on fire via fireball from the team wizard. I was sitting there going 'WTF!? WTF!?' Turns out this was the whole reason we were there, enforcing the monster stereotype.

Lektor
2007-01-10, 10:45 AM
This wasn't in D&D, but in a Star Wars GURPS adventure we were running for a long time, and wasn't me but two of the party. But the story still makes us all laugh.

We had one player who insisted on making Bothan slicers, with absolutely no success. They all died terrible deaths, involving one of them who tried to use a grapple hook to go up a lift shaft, with no skill and a terrible dexterity, and promptly fell to his death.

But his funniest death had to come on one mission where I'd sent him to follow an assassin to his hide out, and report back. I stress follow only, then report back in. He did so, but then decided he was going to break in to this building. Once again, with no skill or tools, using a simple lock picking technique on a very high tech door lock. He set off several alarms and the door opened to reveal 4 very large guys with guns who took him away.

We went to the location of his last transmission, and I decided we had no time to be stealthy, so stormed the front of the building. We get through the front door and into the room he's being held in, I charge in to fine him stripped naked, with his legs and arms fastened to a wall with a man in front of him with what was described by our GM simply as 'The intruder'.

So I open fire with my rifle and fall the three badies on either side of him, my team mate runs in, shoots at the guy with the Intruder, misses and gets our friend smack bang in the middle of his face, with all three shots. Knocked him out (the bad guys hadn't actually laid a finger on him) instantly, and it was only my first aid skill that stopped him from dying.

He had to be sent away to have surgery to give him a new face. When he finally came back to the party, he, on his first mission back, managed to lock himself in a box whilst running away from some guards. But not just any box, an air tight box, an air tight box with a lock on the outside. Guess what happened next?

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-10, 11:00 AM
My level two rogue had found a dwarven underworld fighting ring--he was very physically weak and wanted to become a stronger person. He got into a fight with a kobold and downed him in one hit, then decides to up the ante on the gold wager. Behind him, "Sure. I'll take that bet."
My rogue has to fight a freakin' gargoyle. He spanks me, though I managed to bluff him into thinking I was a holy being of some kind (spoke Celestial), right before he drops me.
Then afterwards, while talking to the paladin in a fluff session, he brings up the fact that he's pretty good at staying alive, despite the attempts of spiders, ghosts, and rock monsters.
Paladin: "...wait, rock monsters?"
So my rogue actually gets a TALKING TO like a bad kid for going off to the fighting ring.
The whole thing was sort of embarassing--I'd rolled a natural one on my gather information check to find the ring, and we decided that in his drunken (What? Dwarven city) hangover, he asked a constable about it. A member happened to see the exchange and came over to thwack me on the head. I failed so bad I came out the other side.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-10, 11:23 AM
I had a character that got involved with a weird nature cult (my first character) and I thought it was all well and good because William the ranger needed a nature God to be able to get his spells. It wasn't a problem when they asked for donations but the secret ritual they brought him into involved some snips in places he wasn't prepared to be snipped in. It ended with him running out of the shrine screaming with all his parts intact and ready to swear burn the place down. Luckily he found meiliki (as I found the deities and demigods book):smallbiggrin:

Kesnit
2007-01-10, 12:20 PM
I had just joined the group and the DM was working the others to a point where my character could join. So I got to sit back and watch this develop.

The party split up in a swamp, with the Ranger/Fighter going one way and the Cleric/Wizard and the Paladin/Knight going another. (All characters are gestault.) I can't remember the exact details, but the groups ended up opposite each other, but not knowing how close they were. The DM only told them that they could hear movement in the underbrush.

I was convinced that they were going to end up killing each other before anyone realized the truth.

In the next session, they were heading into the big battle. In an attempt to sneak up on the Ogres and Orcs, they went invisible. (Not sure exactly how since I was out of the room at the time.) So yes, they could sneak up on the monsters, but they didn't know where the others were. Meaning the Wizard couldn't cast any AoE spells and the Ranger couldn't shoot - for fear of hitting another PC.

Meschaelene
2007-01-10, 01:58 PM

My Swordmaster had been horror-marked (not good, m'kay?), and the Horror chose an in-opportune time to freeze me in place.

I knew nothing about Earthdawn and was just handed a character sheet right before a fight with a horror. I had just moved to the city, and it was a new gaming group. Well, accents are sometimes difficult, and "Horror" pretty much dropped its second syllable in Indiana midwestern... After an hour fight, I said, "That was the toughest prostitute I ever killed!"

The same group, several months later... The game system was Rifts, and the GM asked me to make a 20th century priest. He did *not*, however, tell me the real reason... (see below) As some folks are aware, in the various civil wars and latin american revolutions of the past 50 years, priests have several times become leaders in the revolutionary movements -- and led into combat. It's that sort of liberation theologian I chose for my character...

Our first adventure was fighting the pharoah reborn... I chucked satchel charges and grenades EVERYWHERE, screaming, "Let my people go!" and justified every atrocity I could dream up by citing God's preferential option for the poor and oppressed. As I am justifying placing a bomb in a nursery "as a diversion" so that "we may rain Justice upon the Heads of the Oppressors!", the GM finally tells me that the reason he wanted me to play a 20th century priest was to counteract and tone down the blood-thirstiness of the other players.

Erp...

"...of course, there is no Justice without Mercy..."

Fax Celestis
2007-01-10, 02:04 PM
Most embarrassing? Trying to pick the pocket of the BBEG while making it look like I was trying to seduce him, and botching the Sleight of Hand check.

"What's that in your pocket?"

"That's the hilt of my longsword."

"Is that what they call it these days?"

"No, that's really my longsword."

Sactheminions
2007-01-10, 02:22 PM
Well, this is all Vampire. I have D&D examples too, but all the best ones involve my old VtM character, Kendrick Dane. He was a Tremere, and always at odds with the Powers That Be in whatever city he was in because his "job" for House and Clan was "troubleshooter". Him showing up was a virtual guarantee that the Tremere knew something very bad was going to happen. It also meant, given his usual strategies, they were relatively unconcerned with collateral damage. (Masquerade aside of course - K. was a stickler for that.)

Anyway, we're in SF late in his career, and after the Prince is assassinated by Setites, K. decides he needs to take over because the Prince-in-waiting is a very old, very intelligent, decidedly non-vicious Toreador. So K. cuts a deal: I get to be the Prince until the war is over and then I'll abdicate (since he assumes the Clan would send him elsewhere anyway).

Two weeks later, K. and his [fellow PC] Thomas Doherty are catching the news in the apartment of a Setite they tracked down. K. says "Hey, wasn't that the building the Setites were using as a front?"

Thomas: Yes.
Kendrick: Why is it on fire?
Thomas: ...
Kendrick: And why are there six Brujah of your immediate acquaintance standing around looking satisfied in the background!
Thomas: Uh, Kendrick, I think you should know...

Turns out he had had his acquaintances hijack a [get this] -tanker truck- and drive it into the lobby of the building while the Setites were inside. Not noticing that there was a gas station next door. Needless to say, a lot of people have a lot of explaining to do when whole city blocks go up in flames.

Needless to say, I wasn't actually too embarrassed in character, because K. was sort of immune to that sort of thing. Out of character, though, I mean, come ON...

This kind of stuff isn't supposed to happen in Vampire games! This isn't Shadowrun!

twipper
2007-01-10, 02:54 PM
Think way back to yester year when TSR released skills and powers for 2nd Ed. I decide to run the party through an absolutely chaotic epic campaign to reassemble the Rod of Seven Parts. The game starts in Faerun, jumps to Greyhawk, Spelljams to Vecna's private cystral sphere. The party even ended up outside the front gate of Castle Ravenloft a 1000 years after Strahd's supposed death. At midnight.

Cleric Type: Come on, lets set up camp inside the courtyard <steps through the gate>
DM (me): Everyone make a will save as the guardian banshee screams.
<1/2 the party keels over dead>

This was one of the 4 times during the campaign that the druid being played by my wife was presumed and left for dead. For 4 separate and all equally unrealistic yet legal reasons he didn't in fact die. During one such incarnation of death, the druid befriended a blink bunny.

The campaign ended when the blink bunny in question killed Orcus w/a +5 holy silver vorpal scythe stolen by the party from a group of redneck githyanki and assumed his place as the new Lord of All Undead.

Talk about awkward.

Though there was the campaign where the bard acquired Yog Sothoth as a patron diety...

Brauron
2007-01-10, 03:11 PM
My group (which at the moment consists of me and one other person, plus the DM. We had two other people, but they're no longer playing due to constraints of time. We've recruited at least one more person, who'll be joining us in a week when school's back in session) defeated a villainous cleric who was extorting money from the townspeople.

Well, mostly I, Brauron the Barbarian, defeated him. The Wizard cast a sleep spell that gave me time to close in on him, and so I didn't get Fireball'd (he was a cleric of a fire-god). He awoke, tried to Bluff me, it didn't work, I Raged, he hit me with a fireball but only did 8 points of damage, and whacked him in the chest with my Greataxe, dropping him to something along the lines of -2 HP. He's on the ground bleeding out, I'm rifling through his pockets, notice a big gold ring covered in runes on his finger. I try to pull it off; it's fused. The Wizard recognizes it as a Ring of Polymorph Self. I figure I can sell it and buy some booze with the money.

So I chopped off his hand.

The DM looked at me as if to say, "What did you just do?"

Then the Wizard said, "Hey, wait...weren't we supposed to bring him back alive, to be arrested and sentenced by the local constabulary?"

Oh. Yeah. We were....Oops. He's not quite at -10 yet, but neither of us have any ranks in Heal. So I make an Untrained Heal Check and the DM bursts out laughing.

He mimes a chopping motion and says, "he's not healing, why is not healing?"

So anyways I managed to get a tourniquet on his stump and stabilize him. He was at -7 HP.

So we get the evil, unconscious, no-longer-able-to-cast-spells-with-somatic-components cleric to the constabulary (we turned in his hand, too, since the Wizard had concluded that the ring probably wouldn't sell for much and the constable might need it as evidence) and received the gratitude of the town and an aleskin -- like a wineskin, but filled with ale, which, in the eyes of Brauron, makes it better.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-10, 03:20 PM
My cleric once realized the guy he was fulling intending on killing so he didn't have to split any loot with him was actually his god in mortal form.

Oops.

MrNexx
2007-01-10, 03:43 PM
Really, if your cleric was fully intending on killing him so as to not have to split the loot, and didn't see any inherent conflicts in this action, I don't see how the God could get upset by the contemplation of this action... he was, after all, only acting in the confines of the faith.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-10, 03:46 PM
Okay, so this one wasn't me, but I was embarrassed for the guy. We were playing a 1.x homebrew game, and he was playing a cambion fighter and a tiefling assassin. Mind you the assassin is female, and about 20 something (or the demonic equivelant). Also you need to know that the assassin has telepathic powers. Also Brandon (the player) has a meta-game love affair with the female npc Telra.

Anyway, our party is wandering back into town after investigating some cult ruins (which is another story altogether) and stumble across a gypsy caravan. We decide to get our fortunes told (always a good thing to do with a level 1 party). Brandon decides to use his assassin's telepathic ability to read the mind of the tarot reader (bad plan). He spends one psionic point to find out her name. As you can guess, it's Telra. What Brandon forgets to ask the DM is how old Telra is at this point and forget what gender his character with ESP is. Brandon starts to try and "pick up" Telra and convince her to come with us. Brandon goes through this whole big deal, failing checks left and right. Then I ask the DM "How old is Telra? And Telra is a girl, right?" The DM tells us that Telra is about 12 and reminds Brandon that his assassin is female. You should have seen his face. He's a rather conservative guy, and this was just too much for him. I was laughing sooooo hard. I still don't let him forget that.

If we do OOC DM faux pas, then I've got a good one.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-10, 03:51 PM
Really, if your cleric was fully intending on killing him so as to not have to split the loot, and didn't see any inherent conflicts in this action, I don't see how the God could get upset by the contemplation of this action... he was, after all, only acting in the confines of the faith.

It wasn't really that bad, it's just worrying to think what would have happened if we had tried. The entire party was behind the action. It just so happened we got into trouble and I started calling out to my god. The guy who was with us, but not fighting because we told him he didn't have to, said "What??"

axraelshelm
2007-01-10, 05:14 PM
i was playing in a game of planes scape we were taken to a plane known as the forge "Great campaign book" we were at a Ball of wannabe nobles dressed in our glad rags i just bought a new set of armour so i was in polished half-plate with a +3 flaming, great cleaving smiciter "great sword still have it"
All of a sudden these dieseased arab looking like dudes swung in and demanded money. You see I knew something like this would happen thats why i was in polished armour being a paladin most of my stats were own strength.

So i started fighting 2 went down straight away the 3rd tried to run the fight was ours anyway i as a player realy wanted to know how strong is strength of 25 so i got my paladin to grab the fleeing dieseased arab by the ankel (made the strength check) swung him overhead and smashed his skull on the pristine white marble floor, as the dm put his head smashed to the ground like a wet paper bag. There was a stunned silence from the group and i as the player just sniggered and when the arab was dying i cast lay on hand on him so he wouldn't die because of my immaturity.

My group still talks about it and it's been 3 years already.

Magnus_Samma
2007-01-10, 06:01 PM
Was playing Hackmaster last week and the group is guarding a caravan as it goes form city to city. Our first night the PC who's on watch eats -all- of the food in the chuck wagon and then goes to sleep without bothering to wake up the guy who was supposed to be on second watch.

We don't know that he ate the food, but when we wake up the next morning and find out that the first man on watch went to bed without waking up his replacement, and apparently all of our supplies were consequently stolen, my character was understandably annoyed. It probably would have ended in a fight if the DM didn't have a strict "interparty violence is smote" rule.

I mentioned it this week, implying that the guy was being an ass. The DM tells me that the guy's character has the gluttony flaw. He pretty much had to eat everything in sight.

Boy was my face red.

Kiroho
2007-01-10, 06:11 PM
This was from an ongoing Vampire LARP. I had been Prince of the city for going on 18 months and there were a number of new players coming in and out of the city who were not really good at keeping the Masquerade. The Sheriff, through no fault of his own, was not enforcing things. During one of the gaming sessions that the Sheriff player couldn't attend, there were a number of incidents that really torqued off the Prince. I was in a zone that night and was fully in character. I exploded during Conclave and fired the Sheriff and offered the job to whomever could prove they could do it.

As soon I as said it, I realized what I had done and looked around the room at the Storytellers. Both they and I suddenly realized that I had just thrown a HUGE wrench into the storyline.

Fortunately, it turned out to be a great hook for the next year.

the_tick_rules
2007-01-10, 07:23 PM
ah i made this same thread a while back but i see it faded away. well i'll tell my story again.

our party was in a tavern on a home brewed dm holiday of sorts in which using magic was forbidden. it was like tonight the seals between worlds is weak and using magic may bring grave misofortune. well a fellow pc asked me to spar. i agreed even though i was playing a straight fighter with an 18 str and 16 con and i was up against a ranger/sorcerer with 10 str and 8 con. well after i accidentally knocked this person out the fellow pc who was the girlfriend of the ranger/sorcerer got upset and stabbed me in the back (her sword was evil and poisoning her mind) well i, not knowing it was her, reacted by unsheathing my sword and slashing behind me. i got a crit and dropped her into the negatives and had to use a potion to keep her from dying. so i drag them into the tavern and my fellow teammates see me holding one bruised and one heavily gashed teammate, "umm. it's not what it looks like."

Folie
2007-01-10, 08:02 PM
I'm currently in a Star Wars campaign (using a system the GM invented - no character sheets are required, and actions are resolved through a combination of d20 rolls, a card deck, and the GM's own caprice) in which I play a teenage Rebel spy posing as a wealthy real estate heiress. The roguish crew of the ship doesn't know who she really is yet, though: the only reason they let her tag along with them during their adventures is because she's using her monthly allowance from "Daddy" to pay her way on board. As such, the other party members don't really respect or trust her abilities yet, so her opportunities to do important things have been few and far between.:smallfrown:

Last session, she was trapped in a secret underground Imperial lab on with two of the other PCs, a Twi'lek smuggler on the run from the law, and the young son of a minor government official (it's a long story). They had about 20 minutes to escape from the lab before everything within a ten-mile radius of it was destroyed as part of the "quarantine procedure." Because the captain and the medic weren't with them, they had to disable the device that was jamming the wireless signal they needed to contact the captain. Because my character's real dad, the Corellian smuggler, had taught her some mechanic skills, I figured that this was her chance to shine. She immediately opened up the complex jamming device and began to shut it down, a task that should have taken her about two minutes to accomplish. That is, if the Twi'lek hadn't simply rolled her eyes, taken careful aim, and shot the jamming device full of blaster holes.:smalleek:

mikeejimbo
2007-01-10, 08:08 PM
I'm currently in a Star Wars campaign (using a system the GM invented - no character sheets are required, and actions are resolved through a combination of d20 rolls, a card deck, and the GM's own caprice)

Sounds interesting, but kind of sexy.

Missing Shoe
2007-01-10, 11:04 PM
Not truly awkward IN CHARACTER, more awkward outside, but let me explain. The party consisted of 2 good guys, 2 bad (i was one the evil side). Using my charm I convinced some baddies to take us to their leader instead of fighting us.

Once we got there, we found out that their boss...was Mephistopheles (spelling?) So ...instead of getting our butts handed to us we join him! He gives us this ring that cant be taken off (classic dnd cursed item), but gives us evil powers. The two good guys try to remove the rings, one cuts off his finger in doing so. Meanwhile us evil guys use our new powers for evil, sneaking out at night and pillaging.

To make a long story short, the good PCs got on our nerves so we decide were going to kill them. Before we got the chance though, we got attacked by some floating eyes in a dwarven treasury. We all got slaughtered thanks to horrible rolls.

Afterwards we told them about our plan to kill them, which went something like:

Me: "yeah...we were going to kill you guys and loot your bodies after you lead us to where we wanted to go.."
Good girl: "You were going to kill us??"
*awkward silence and pause*
Good guy: "...you bastards..."

All is well though, we still play to this day.