PDA

View Full Version : Immortals Handbook

Max Caysey
2013-09-13, 07:17 AM
Hi...

I have recently discovered this line of books. I have gotten my hands on a pdf file of the one called Immortal's Handbook: Ascension. In the beginning of that book it list other books in the series.

IMMORTALS HANDBOOK: GODS & MONSTERS

IMMORTALS HANDBOOK: GRIMOIRE

IMMORTALS HANDBOOK: CHRONICLE

and

IMMORTALS HANDBOOK: EPIC BESTIARY (VOLUMES ONE, TWO & THREE)

Now... This seems to be a project gone sour, and I have only been able to find Epic Bestiarium Vol. 1.

Can anyone tell me if they can be bought or downloaded anywhere or were they never finished?

Grinner
2013-09-13, 07:21 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen most, if not all, of those at DriveThru RPG.

Edit: Checking my bookmarks, I found this (rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/55116/Immortals-Handbook-ASCENSION). And I definitely remember seeing Epic Bestiary I.

Edit 2: Reverse ninja'd?

Max Caysey
2013-09-13, 07:25 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen most, if not all, of those at DriveThru RPG.

I can only find Acsension and Bestiarium vol. 1 there also... :smallfrown:

Gavinfoxx
2013-09-13, 08:48 AM
Why do you want these books? They have a reputation for being absolute crap.

Chronos
2013-09-13, 08:53 AM
Yeah, they were written by folks who really didn't understand how epic combat or challenges work, and as a result, you end up with things like a CR 9000 monster that can be effortlessly defeated by a level 21 character with no spellcasting. There's more to high levels than just bigger numbers.

dysprosium
2013-09-13, 09:19 AM
The project has gone the way of the dodo.

The only books that were published were the Immortals Handbook Ascension and the Bestiary Vol 1.

There were going to be more books but the creator got caught up in the fervor that was 4e and started writing for that system. Unfortunately for him he never got anything out for 4e either.

They are definitely not everybody's cup of tea but at least there is something out there beyond the "standard" epic level stuff that WotC put out.

I like the series personally.

Sith_Happens
2013-09-13, 12:23 PM
You know, whenever I've seen people dump on Immortals Handbook they've only ever talked about the Bestiary. What's Ascension like?

The Mentalist
2013-09-13, 03:26 PM
You know, whenever I've seen people dump on Immortals Handbook they've only ever talked about the Bestiary. What's Ascension like?

My biggest (among quite a few) complaint is that the portfolios are all very samey and most of them seem to be done with a Ctrl+C Ctrl+V Ctrl+F Ctrl+R (Copy/Paste/Find/Replace)

I like the subdivine stuff in there but once you get bast Divine Rank 25 or so you get into stuff that's just stacking piles of numbers on with no uniqueness to the various characters or portfolios, they all become mostly clones of each other). They all do too much to avoid stepping on each other's toes and get most of the same abilities. It's like having a party of 4 Trisalt Wizard/Cleric/Druids.

The Higher than Divine powers aren't balanced with each other and some are not-so-obvious traps.

As I recall the methods of gaining Divine Points kind of sucks because it can leave party members lagging in the dust far too easily and creates an uneven leveling scenario (which is never a good thing for party balance)

That said, I think that the first two portions of this book, (The Divine and the whatever came after that) had a LOT of potential and some very cool ideas (some of which I am harvesting for my currently sigged project) but once you get into the big monsters it just bogs down too much and there's too much to keep track of even if you're intentionally keeping your build simple and combat becomes so similar every fight.

Once you get the Higher than Divine powers there's no reason not to use them for every fight and there are no counters for them that an enemy could use so whichever combination you picked is going to be the same every round, especially with the Divine Blast abilities.

TL;DR: More power without more diversity means repetitive gameplay, it's like playing level 20 straight fighters at the higher levels (and not even very optimized ones)

Maxconfidence
2020-09-07, 12:25 PM
Hi, I'm newone. Anyone know how to contact the Immortals Handbook's creator/creators? I's like to see if there is any way to complete this collection...