PDA

View Full Version : Fiend of Blasphemy: Builds and uses?

Xuldarinar
2013-09-13, 08:37 AM
Within the fiend folio is a class that I hear so little of, and I am left to wonder why. While at a glance at it doesn't reveal anything overwhelmingly powerful, I see potential. Im curious if anyone has any advice or builds regarding the class.

For people AFB or unfamiliar with the PrC.

Requirements
Race: Outsider with the evil subtype
Base Save Bonus: Will +7
Skills: Bluff 10 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 10 ranks
Feats: Leadership
Special: Must have at least one spell-like ability that duplicates a spell effect of 4th level or higher.

Proficiencies: Nothing new

Spells: Divine spellcasting. No 0 level spells and caps at 5th level spells, obtained at 5th level in the 6 level PrC.Cast off of divine, with access to a small list of spells as well as access to 2 domains of your choice.

Blood Oath: You can preform a ritual to bind cult members to your service. You affect everyone at the end of the ritual with an enthrall spell, based on Cha mod + class level + 10. Willing participants take a -4 to their save, hostile onlookers get a +4 bonus to their save. This also is used to form a bond between the fiend and the participants, each gaining a save to resist the bond. The fiend knows if they resist, but that doesn't stop the ritual.

Locate cultist: At-will locate creature on any creature that has sworn a blood oath with the fiend.

Undetectable alignment: Speaks for itself

Transfer spell-like ability: 2nd level. A version of imbue with spell ability that gives a cultist access to the fiend's spell-like abilities. The fiend can grant as much as the choose, and the cultist can use the spell-like ability 1/day. Saves and such are based on the fiend. An at-will ability becomes 4/day with this, all other things would normally use 1 use with this. He can grant multiple uses to single or multiple cultists. (A FoB warlock could give 1 cultist Eldritch blast up to 5/day, or up to 5 cultists eldritch blast 1/day.)

Sponsor Worshiper: 3rd level. You can sponsor clerics for the purposes of spellcasting. You however can only sponsor a cleric no higher than twice your FoB level. So, up to 12th overall. If you find ways to advance the class further, then this increases as well. Clerics you sponsor get access to 2 domains associated with your master, which can include the 2 you picked, as well as the full list of cleric spells.

Scry on Cleric: 4th level. You can scry on any individual cultist of yours 1/day as the spell. If you have 100 followers, you can use scry 100/day, but 1/day on each.

Torture cultist: 4th level. You can inflict pain on any one of your cultists. Distance isn't an issue, though plane is. Doesn't do damage, but inflicts penalties for a couple of rounds, based on your class level. No apparent use limit.

Mind Shielding: 5th level. Immunities to detect thoughts and discern lies. Speaks for itself.

Kill Cultist: 6th level. You can kill a cultist of yours who has displeased you. Same limits as torture cultist. If they succeed on a fort save, they just take damage.

Edit/Note:
Strangely enough, a race I think that would be one of the best for this is the Aasimar. +2 Wis and +2 Cha work quite well for the PrC, and it only has an LA +1 as an Outsider. Aasimar Shadowcaster 7 + Ritual of Alignment (Evil) + Favored Mystery (Shadow Evocation). Just there you have Outsider (Evil) and a Spell-like ability that duplicates a spell effect of 4th level. You just need the Leadership feat, Bluff and Knowledge (religion) as class skills, and the remaining +2 base will save. Minimum Int: 14.

nedz
2013-09-13, 12:33 PM
Last time I checked Aasimar had the type Outsider (native), which is not Outsider (evil). Note: the type here has to have the evil descriptor, it's not just the character's alignment.

Xuldarinar
2013-09-13, 12:50 PM
Last time I checked Aasimar had the type Outsider (native), which is not Outsider (evil). Note: the type here has to have the evil descriptor, it's not just the character's alignment.

Aasimar: Outsider (Native)
With the Ritual of Alignment preformed one time:
Outsider (Chaotic, Native), Outsider (Evil, Native), Outsider (Good, Native) or Outsider (Lawful, Native)

Hense my mention of the ritual. You can be any alignment you want and qualify, you need to have the subtype.

nedz
2013-09-13, 02:21 PM
Aasimar: Outsider (Native)
With the Ritual of Alignment preformed one time:
Outsider (Chaotic, Native), Outsider (Evil, Native), Outsider (Good, Native) or Outsider (Lawful, Native)

Hense my mention of the ritual. You can be any alignment you want and qualify, you need to have the subtype.

Ah, sorry, missed that.

Xuldarinar
2013-09-13, 03:13 PM
Ah, sorry, missed that.

Completely understandable.

That said, do you think the perception is correct that it would make for a decent race for that purpose? Any other input to provide?

nedz
2013-09-13, 08:13 PM
Some interesting Entry classes to think about — based on the skill requirements.

Bard
Cleric: but you would duplicate one of the class features. You would need to snag one of the following domains to acquire Bluff as a class skill {Dragon (SpC), Envy (SpC), Trickery (PH) }
Warlock: Several Lesser invocations count as level 4 SLAs, you just have to choose the right one.
DFA: As Warlock
Factotum

Realistically you are looking at level 10 for single classing due to the Will+7 requirement. Multiclassing is better: X 2 / Y 4 both with good saves would do (obviously with another level somewhere), though X 1 / Y 6 might be better.

Bard and Factotum also require 10 class levels for level 4 spells.

Warlock 6 / Marshal 1 is interesting since you have some Cha synergy.
DFA 6 / Marshal 1 similarly, though the Warlock invocations are probably more useful.
Bard can replace Marshall, as could Cleric

You can also dump the LA by playing a Lesser Aasimar which is in one of the settings books (PGtF) or here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), assuming you don't take the Racial level. Basically you would lose: Wis +2, daylight, resistances (acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5)

Vaz
2013-09-13, 08:18 PM
You can get in as the Divine Minion feat. Sort of fits as well.

123456789blaaa
2013-09-13, 08:41 PM
Fiend of Possession also has the Outsider with the evil subtype requirement so the handbook for that PRC could help with entering this one.

I think the main reason you don't hear much about this PRC is because its abilities aren't that great for PC's. I mean you can probably optimize it so its good but it requires much more work than FoP or even FoC (Fiend of Corruption).

Warlock is really terrible since the PRC makes the normally at-will invocations only 4/day. This is really terrible.

I never thought of using Shadowcaster...that's pretty interesting. You'd still only be able to transfer either your apprentice or initiate mysteries though. Plus you'd be even more MAD than a normal Shadowcaster (Wis for FoB spellcasting and abilities).

Xuldarinar
2013-09-13, 08:41 PM
Some interesting Entry classes to think about — based on the skill requirements.

Bard
Cleric: but you would duplicate one of the class features. You would need to snag one of the following domains to acquire Bluff as a class skill {Dragon (SpC), Envy (SpC), Trickery (PH) }
Warlock: Several Lesser invocations count as level 4 SLAs, you just have to choose the right one.
DFA: As Warlock
Factotum

Realistically you are looking at level 10 for single classing due to the Will+7 requirement. Multiclassing is better: X 2 / Y 4 both with good saves would do (obviously with another level somewhere), though X 1 / Y 6 might be better.

Bard and Factotum also require 10 class levels for level 4 spells.

Warlock 6 / Marshal 1 is interesting since you have some Cha synergy.
DFA 6 / Marshal 1 similarly, though the Warlock invocations are probably more useful.
Bard can replace Marshall, as could Cleric

You can also dump the LA by playing a Lesser Aasimar which is in one of the settings books (PGtF) or here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), assuming you don't take the Racial level. Basically you would lose: Wis +2, daylight, resistances (acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5)

Interesting. I will say though you couldn't do Lesser Aasimar in this easily, as that is Humanoid (I think), not Outsider.

Not sure how we could get cleric naturally to enter. Bard, I can see entering after 12th, via song of freedom.

Edit:

Fiend of Possession also has the Outsider with the evil subtype requirement so the handbook for that PRC could help with entering this one.

I think the main reason you don't hear much about this PRC is because its abilities aren't that great for PC's. I mean you can probably optimize it so its good but it requires much more work than FoP or even FoC (Fiend of Corruption).

Warlock is really terrible since the PRC makes the normally at-will invocations only 4/day. This is really terrible.

I never thought of using Shadowcaster...that's pretty interesting. You'd still only be able to transfer either your apprentice or initiate mysteries though. Plus you'd be even more MAD than a normal Shadowcaster (Wis for FoB spellcasting and abilities).

I can see that being the reason. Its not the best class for optimization.

Im not certain if it actually makes Eldritch Blast 4/day, only makes it 4/day for the purpose of transfer (once makes it 3/day after transferring 1/day, then so on) or if transferring a use of it makes it 4/day. Its wording is odd to me for that case, oh well.

It is an interesting option, shadowcaster. My fondness and familiarity with the class are all that had me think of it for it. The mad is an issue, granted, but understandable. Binder also might be a decent choice, vestige depending. I'd say permitting psionic entry would be interesting, but I don't know how much would open up with Psi-like abilities that simulate powers of at least 4th-level being an option.

nedz
2013-09-14, 04:52 AM

Only if you transfer the SLA to a cultist. Also, it can be revoked as a free action should you need to do it more than that. Many Warlock invocations last for 24 hours, and since 4 times a day should be more than enough to cover the occasional Dispel Magic these are ideal for Transfer use. You probably wouldn't want to transfer Eldritch Blast though.

Interesting. I will say though you couldn't do Lesser Aasimar in this easily, as that is Humanoid (I think), not Outsider.

Not sure how we could get cleric naturally to enter. Bard, I can see entering after 12th, via song of freedom.

Lesser Aasimar is Outsider (Native), check the link.
The PGtF version is both Outsider (Native) and Humanoid.

Cleric is not a good choice, and I had mis-read the requirement as spell or SLA.

Meeting the SLA requirement can also be done by the Fiendish (or Fey) Heritage feats. Kind of an expensive way of doing it, but it might help mundane builds.

Crake
2013-09-14, 05:37 AM

get another fiend of blasphemy to transfer you one of his spell like abilities!

Xuldarinar
2013-09-14, 09:13 AM
Only if you transfer the SLA to a cultist. Also, it can be revoked as a free action should you need to do it more than that. Many Warlock invocations last for 24 hours, and since 4 times a day should be more than enough to cover the occasional Dispel Magic these are ideal for Transfer use. You probably wouldn't want to transfer Eldritch Blast though.

Cleric is not a good choice, and I had mis-read the requirement as spell or SLA.

Meeting the SLA requirement can also be done by the Fiendish (or Fey) Heritage feats. Kind of an expensive way of doing it, but it might help mundane builds.

Huh. I'll take another look at lesser aasimar.

Edit: No, they are not outsiders in PGtF. Lesser aasimar are Humanoid (planetouched). They are susceptible to spells and effects that effect outsiders, but there are not outsiders in of themselves. A lesser aasimar who goes through with the ritual of alignment (Evil) is Humanoid (Evil, Planetouched).

I agree and that is an easy mistake to make.

I'll have to look at those feats then. Thank you for bringing that up.

get another fiend of blasphemy to transfer you one of his spell like abilities!

Few problems with that though.

1: You have to meet all other prerequisites then belong to a fiend's cult.

2: Even after, if you lose the SLA, like the FoB you got it from takes it back, you may no longer be a FoB till you get it back. Regardless, you are subserviant to that FoB's will and by your nature in that case could be competition in a sense. Granted, one might be able to work out a pantheon oriented agreement, but the circumstances are.. less than likely or favorable.

nedz
2013-09-14, 11:04 AM
Huh. I'll take another look at lesser aasimar.

Edit: No, they are not outsiders in PGtF. Lesser aasimar are Humanoid (planetouched). They are susceptible to spells and effects that effect outsiders, but there are not outsiders in of themselves. A lesser aasimar who goes through with the ritual of alignment (Evil) is Humanoid (Evil, Planetouched).

OK the PGtF version won't work, however if you look at the Savage Species progression, see the Link I posted earlier, you get the Outsider type. You simply delay [forever] taking the racial level.

Xuldarinar
2013-09-14, 11:16 AM
OK the PGtF version won't work, however if you look at the Savage Species progression, see the Link I posted earlier, you get the Outsider type. You simply delay [forever] taking the racial level.

Savage progressions are effectively monster classes. Being subject to those rules, that path doesn't work either.

Once you enter a monster class, you cannot multi-class out of it until you have completed its full progression. Taking that route, you can be a 1st level Aasimar, lacking standard class levels if you are a 1st level character. You cannot just grab the racial traits and not grab the 1st monster class level.

A better route would be simply to play a standard aasimar and take this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) route, as you can then effectively remove that level adjustment.

nedz
2013-09-14, 03:02 PM
Thereafter, the character can take levels in her racial class in order to gain her full complement of racial abilities.

From the Web article.

It says Can not Must.

Xuldarinar
2013-09-14, 03:07 PM
From the Web article.

It says Can not Must.

Semantics, but I concede. It is an option, a viable one at that.

123456789blaaa
2013-10-01, 09:23 PM

Edit:

I can see that being the reason. Its not the best class for optimization.

Im not certain if it actually makes Eldritch Blast 4/day, only makes it 4/day for the purpose of transfer (once makes it 3/day after transferring 1/day, then so on) or if transferring a use of it makes it 4/day. Its wording is odd to me for that case, oh well.

It is an interesting option, shadowcaster. My fondness and familiarity with the class are all that had me think of it for it. The mad is an issue, granted, but understandable. Binder also might be a decent choice, vestige depending. I'd say permitting psionic entry would be interesting, but I don't know how much would open up with Psi-like abilities that simulate powers of at least 4th-level being an option.

When it transfers a spell-like ability, the fiend cannot use the ability as often as usual: It can use abilities normally available at will only 4 times per day and loses on use per day from other abilities.

So yeah.

I can't recall any vestiges that really grant many uses of good SLA's. The few I can recall that grant any SlA's at all do not grant very good SLA's (and the SLA's aren't usable very often either). Am I forgetting some?

BTW I'm putting a lot of emphasis on SLA's because (besides the spells), the Transfer Spell-Like Ability class feature is the best class feature the FoB has. The others are either very minor perks (Locate cultist, Undetectable Alignment, Scry on cultist, Mind shielding) or useless because a PC is only going to be making a Blood Oath with his buddies (Torture cultist, Kill cultist). The Blood Oath ritual only enthralls enemies if they can't pass DC 19. That's not very good. You're almost always better off dipping FoB 2.

The Half-Fiend template gives you entry to the class and a bunch of good SLA's. That +4 LA is crippling though. You can either use Savage Progression cheese (The Half-Fiend transition template class) or maybe the Variant Half-Fiend article to beef up the template. I say maybe because I'm not sure theirs a fiend powerful enough to make up for the +4 LA.

Half-Fey also gives a bunch of good SLA's but is only +2 LA so it's not as bad as half-fiend. It's Cha-focused though so MAD is still an issue.

Phrenic is a template that is the same except with PLA's instead of SLA's.

Also, the Fell Conspiracy feat (Exemplars of Evil) is a good fit. Gives group-based benefits in exchange for Know:Religion ranks.

The Master of Flies PRC gives Summon Swarm, Insect Plague, and Creeping Doom as SLA's once per day per level in the PRC. It also gives you the ability to turn into a swarm (though the ability needs some fixing due to 3.0/3.5 weirdness).

One very interesting option could be psionic's in general:

Psi-Like Abilities (Ps)
The manifestation of powers by a psionic character is considered a psi-like ability, as is the manifestation of powers by creatures without a psionic class (creatures with the psionic subtype, also simply called psionic creatures). Usually, a psionic creature’s psi-like ability works just like the power of that name. A few psi-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described.

Take the Magic Mantle and PLA's count as SLA's. Thus you could then give your psionic ability with Blood Oath. I have no idea how this works.

The only 3 classes I know of that grant Mantles are the Ardent, ACF Wilder, and the Divine Mind. Wilder is Cha-focused and Divine Mind is crap. Ardent is actually the best choice because they're are Wis-focused so there isn't MAD and because ardents have a unique way of selecting powers so they don't get crippled as much by ML loss.

Go Ardent 10 (for the dominant ideal ACF)/FoB 2/Psychic Theurge 4/Ardent 4 (not in that order). Not a bad build at all (assuming the psionic transfer isn't crappy).

You make some good points actually. FoB warlocks aren't that bad.

If you can get Turn/Rebuke undead, then going into the Eldritch Disciple PRC progresses FoB casting and invocations at the same time.

The demonbinder PRC could also be an interesting option. Its demonbind ability is a SLA so you can transfer it to your cultists. Great flavor too. Take a dip in demonbinder and then go into Uncanny Trickster/Legacy Champion. Sadly uses/day is very limited (it's equal to your demonbinder level).

CyberThread
2013-10-01, 10:40 PM
you are looking for the kordai from vile

123456789blaaa
2013-10-02, 05:14 PM
If you wanted to go the Mantled Wilder route, you could combine it with the phrenic template actually. Just make sure you're using LA buyoff.

Ansem
2013-10-02, 05:23 PM
From description:

As the name suggests, only fiends can acquire and
advance in the fiend of blasphemy prestige class. Some can
qualify without any levels in other classes at all, while others
gain levels, usually as clerics, before joining the prestige
class.
So basically starting as a Fiendish character should be possible perhaps, being a monster PC ?

Funny discovery by the way, under Fiend of Corruption it says the following:

Mind Shielding (Su): At 2nd level,
a fiend of blasphemy gains complete
immunity to detect thoughts, discern lies, and any attempt to
magically discern its alignment.
This ability solidifies a fiend’s disguise, cloaking its
thoughts as well as its flesh
Go home writer, you're drunk....
thats the wrong name mate.

123456789blaaa
2013-10-08, 08:03 PM
Jaunter is another nice PRC for the FoB. It's only 4 levels long and grants benign transposition, baleful transposition, teleport, and plane shift as SLA's Jaunter level+Dex mod/day

Kaorti might be a good race. It's one of the few races that is worth its LA. It's an Outsider with the [Evil] subtype so it bypasses the hardest prereq of FoB. It also gains a couple of SLA's (including Alter Self!) 1/day. Take the Magic in the Blood feat to change all those to 3/day. Iwouldn't recommend it for the psionic builds though because of the 2 RHD (the LA can at least be bought off).