PDA

View Full Version : [PF]There is no way to inflict slashing damage with bow?

isildur
2013-09-13, 11:46 AM
There is blunt arrow, but there is no slashing arrow?

Well...

Khosan
2013-09-13, 12:02 PM
I'm trying to think of how a slashing arrow would work. Blunt arrows I get, it's like replacing the arrowhead with a larger sling bullet. A slashing arrow though? I guess you could graze them, but that's hardly doing damage. Maybe if you replaced the arrowhead with an exceptionally tall but very thin axehead (it's technically still piercing, but it's piercing a wider area which is kind of like slashing), but that just looks silly.

manyslayer
2013-09-13, 12:09 PM
If you use 3.5 material, Races of the Wild has the serpent tongue arrow which deals both piercing and slashing.

subject42
2013-09-13, 12:16 PM
I'm trying to think of how a slashing arrow would work.

Something like this (http://www.newarchery.com/preview/640-480/content/files/mod.catalog/102d74ef813e49e48a448536d9e93ed31.jpg) is specifically designed to slice and shred through a target animal's flesh on impact. It's probably pretty close to slashing, in D&D terms.

isildur
2013-09-13, 12:17 PM
A slashing arrow though? I guess you could graze them, but that's hardly doing damage.

Well, there is crescent shaped arrow head. It's not so effective in real world, but blunt arrow? It's not effect too.

Zubrowka74
2013-09-13, 12:20 PM
Well, there is crescent shaped arrow head. It's not so effective in real world, but blunt arrow? It's not effect too.

Yes, I was aboot to sait this. It's design to cut ropes though.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-13, 12:24 PM
I'm trying to think of how a slashing arrow would work. Blunt arrows I get, it's like replacing the arrowhead with a larger sling bullet. A slashing arrow though? I guess you could graze them, but that's hardly doing damage. Maybe if you replaced the arrowhead with an exceptionally tall but very thin axehead (it's technically still piercing, but it's piercing a wider area which is kind of like slashing), but that just looks silly.

In a different RPG game L5R they had these rope cutter arrows
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061113130306/l5r/images/3/35/Rope_Cutter.JPG

I can't recall what so ever the effects they had if used in combat but the crescent moon shape could be considered to cause slashing damage.

Psyren
2013-09-13, 12:24 PM
Soulbolt can do all three damage types, though it's not a "bow" unless you enter Soul Archer.

Khantin
2013-09-13, 12:28 PM
I believe there's a second or third level spell that allows your weapon to do other damage types. It's like adaptive weapon or something.

It may be a cleric spell though.
Edit: 2nd level for most partial casterswww.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/versatile-weapon

JusticeZero
2013-09-13, 12:38 PM
I'm trying to think of how a slashing arrow would work.
The standard combat arrow is a heavy piercing point something like a drill bit, optimized for armor penetration. Hunters use broadheads instead, which are wide arrows with thin blades. There are also a few that pop open that have much wider blades. All of these are wide, in order to do slashing damage at the cost of the narrowness that would give the piercing benefits; a pick and an axe are swung the same way, but the axe's broader blade means that it does slashing damage instead.

ArcturusV
2013-09-13, 12:48 PM
Exactly. Older versions of DnD used to have "Hunter's Arrows" or something of a similar name which dealt slashing damage, and I think one higher dice type (Thus instead of 1d6 they'd do 1d8) but would shorten your range. Last version I remember them being printed in was 2nd edition ADnD however, so it's not exactly an easy conversion.

Person_Man
2013-09-13, 02:27 PM
Ug. I hate the whole slashing/piercing/blunt thing. It's such a small, fidlly little rule that only applies to a very small subset of creatures (with DR X/blunt) and Feats. Can't we just agree to ignore this rule?

JusticeZero
2013-09-13, 02:32 PM
I already let people get different damage types for their bows and crossbows. Drop the damage die by one and change the damage type of the ammo, since it's a specialty item. Normal war arrows are piercing heads, but you can get flat heads with hooks on the edge (blunt) or broadheads (slash). Neither are as good at punching through armor, so the damage die drops one step - not a perfect solution, but it works passably when you know you need to expect to shoot at skeletons or similar.

Ravens_cry
2013-09-13, 02:33 PM
Ug. I hate the whole slashing/piercing/blunt thing. It's such a small, fidlly little rule that only applies to a very small subset of creatures (with DR X/blunt) and Feats. Can't we just agree to ignore this rule?
Sure, if you do't mind your PCs cutting ropes with clubs, or knocking down walls with rapiers. If you allow these things, you then still have the categories, they are common law rather than civil.

Khosan
2013-09-13, 03:02 PM
The standard combat arrow is a heavy piercing point something like a drill bit, optimized for armor penetration. Hunters use broadheads instead, which are wide arrows with thin blades. There are also a few that pop open that have much wider blades. All of these are wide, in order to do slashing damage at the cost of the narrowness that would give the piercing benefits; a pick and an axe are swung the same way, but the axe's broader blade means that it does slashing damage instead.

My thing with that is a broadhead arrow is still only about as wide as a shortsword (if that). If a shortsword deals piercing damage when thrust into someone, I imagine the broadhead would too.

I think what might help is defining the difference between piercing and slashing damage in the first place. Or more specifically, the width an entry wound needs to be to cease being a piercing attack and become a slashing attack instead.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-09-13, 04:08 PM
There is blunt arrow, but there is no slashing arrow?

Well...

As mentioned, the 3E serpentstongue arrow from RotW is your best bet.

Barring that, keep in mind that once you have BAB +6 and a feat slot, you never have to really care about this stuff again, thanks to the Clustered Shots feat.