PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Your favorite/best LA

Snowbluff
2013-09-13, 01:07 PM
LA gets a lot of crap in 3.5. I love it, though. There are quite a few gems in the material for interesting options.

For example, Phrenic is crazy powerful template. I have a Swordsage who supplements his Maneuvers with the ability to engage enemies at a range with MIND POWERS!

So, what is your favorite creature or template you'd play with LA?

XenoGeno
2013-09-13, 01:18 PM
The Shadow template from Lords of Madness, no doubt. It scales very well with level giving all sorts of goodies that are extremely useful, especially on more defensively-minded characters.

Silva Stormrage
2013-09-13, 01:20 PM
I think I use draconic the most simply because its pretty good, especially for gishes. I think my favorite would be the dark template or mineral warrior though.

Or maybe Dry Lich but I only get that one through walker in the waste so it really doesn't count.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-13, 01:38 PM
There's a Tier System for Templates (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7044) that pretty accurately lists which ones are worth the level adjustment and which ones aren't.

Lucid
2013-09-13, 01:43 PM
I like the Marrulurk, especially for Rogues and other sneaky characters.
3 RHD and LA+1 could be considered pretty bad, were it not for the great stats, sneak & death attack and other goodies.

herrhauptmann
2013-09-13, 01:43 PM
Personal favorites: Dark, Mineral, and Halfminotaur (on a medium creature).

I found the Blooded template in Unapproachable East that I really want to use. But the skin color changes make that impossible in the game I'm currently in.

Sometimes I wish that the genasi were just templates to put onto a base creature, rather than creatures born of human and elemental ancestry.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-13, 02:16 PM
Sometimes I wish that the genasi were just templates to put onto a base creature, rather than creatures born of human and elemental ancestry.

Funny enough, that's exactly how I treat them in my games.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-09-13, 02:24 PM
For LA +1, I like aasimars (despite being very underwhelming) and the dark creature template.

For LA +2, I like the Fey'ri and the shadow creature template.

Going of the deep end, I've always wanted to play a Lillend.

TheGeckoKing
2013-09-13, 02:39 PM
I'd be mad myself to ask any sane DM, but I'd like to play a Sarrukh that focused on being a crazy fleshwarping scientist that rode a fire-breathing symbiot-mecha T-Rex or something just as silly. At ECL 22, it couldn't be any worse than Epic Spellcasting, could it?

Fax Celestis
2013-09-13, 03:29 PM
Half-fey (flight, enchantment immunity, SLAs, huge +CHA, other stuff), LA +2. Poisondusk lizardfolk (poison use, being a goddamn lizard, small with no speed penalty, +Dex, +Con, -Cha, claw/claw/bite, natural armor) and whisper gnomes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=3), Dark (increased speed, HIPS, skill boosts, some resists) LA +1.

Snowbluff
2013-09-13, 05:03 PM
Half Fey is slightly below Phrenic in my eyes. More mind-affecting and no SR. Still really good. :smalltongue:

I like the Marrulurk, especially for Rogues and other sneaky characters.
3 RHD and LA+1 could be considered pretty bad, were it not for the great stats, sneak & death attack and other goodies.
I love the Marrulurk. It's pretty awesome.

I'd be mad myself to ask any sane DM, but I'd like to play a Sarrukh that focused on being a crazy fleshwarping scientist that rode a fire-breathing symbiot-mecha T-Rex or something just as silly. At ECL 22, it couldn't be any worse than Epic Spellcasting, could it?
XD

If your avvie a Sarrukh?

TheGeckoKing
2013-09-13, 05:17 PM
If your avvie a Sarrukh?

It wasn't intentionally chosen for that, but now you mention it to me it does bear a certain resemblance.

To stay on topic, another race from Faerun that's fun looking but obnoxiously broken is the Malaugrym - CL 20 Shapechange at ECL 11, anyone?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-13, 05:23 PM
I use Feral, Half-Minotaur and White Dragonspawn a lot. I am aware that this makes me a bad person.

Snowbluff
2013-09-13, 05:24 PM
It wasn't intentionally chosen for that, but now you mention it to me it does bear a certain resemblance.

To stay on topic, another race from Faerun that's fun looking but obnoxiously broken is the Malaugrym - CL 20 Shapechange at ECL 11, anyone?:smallsmile:

Source? Another similiar is the Yuan Ti Tainted One. They can polymorph into snakes.

TheGeckoKing
2013-09-13, 05:29 PM
The source is Monsters of Faerun, and the LA is in the errata.

Yogibear41
2013-09-13, 05:36 PM
Were-Bear of course sure it might not be the greatest but something about being a large half-bear half man hybrid beast ripping bad guys apart with claws and bites just makes me a happy camper :smallsmile:

Jeff the Green
2013-09-13, 05:44 PM
It includes 7 HD, but Gloura (LA +2) is pretty good. +10 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Wis, +6 Cha, DR 10/Cold Iron, cast as a level 7 bard, and Charisma to saves and AC. I rather like it with unarmed Swordsage with Ascetic Mage and shadow blade.

PurpleSocks
2013-09-13, 06:24 PM
I personally love Curst, they're considered a +3 LA adjustment, and while they're not great they are effectively unkillable. Immune to all sorts of things, regen 1 hit point per hour, can survive being decapitated, dismembered, set on fire and comes with scaling SR.

The Viscount
2013-09-13, 07:31 PM
I'm rather a fan of Karsite for +2 LA. If you roll Karsite Warlock you've got infinite self healing, and that seemed pretty neat. Also due to very specific wording Karsite Warlock and Karsite with any psionics is legal.

Flickerdart
2013-09-13, 07:33 PM
Black Ethergaunt. :smallbiggrin:

gurgleflep
2013-09-13, 08:12 PM
Half-illithid's and Half-fiends (using a variant for specific fiends) are my two favorite - illithids are my favorite creature, and who doesn't want to be part balor?!

Tobimaro
2013-09-14, 01:07 AM
Centaur (especially following the rules in Races of the Wild). I was playing one in the old Living Greyhawk campaign, and had to endure being 6 levels of medium centaur, then I had to pay my large tax with resizing my items as I became large. Armed with a great falchion from Sandstorm, and blessed with a 24 strength (and power attack), I could do 3d6 +11 of damage before PA. The only downsides were a lower hit point total and that there were several modules where being large was a detriment.