PDA

View Full Version : The Holy City (a narrative focused campaign)

Calum
2013-09-13, 07:23 PM
This is the first turn so some guidelines are in order. Please make sure that your submissions cover:
1, what your character is planning to do.
2, how they’re planing on doing it, in what manner, cautiously? arrogantly?, are you approaching the task, and what skills are you applying, directly and synergistically?
3, why are they planning on doing it, what’s their motivation?
4, what they’re not planning on doing, this is important I will assume that characters maintain a normal routine unless contradicted.

Other than that time will proceed at the pace of the shortest posted action. The turn length is merely a suggestion. Send me a message if you have rules questions or something you want kept secret.

Orias The Annihilator
Ostmark, fortress of your king Cedarmer the Rooted, is major center by the standards of the north. It in no way prepared you for the sights and smells of the holy city. Perfumes, spices, food, so much food, and over all seething masses of people, people as white as snow and as dark as soot. Most seem weak by your standards, they would not last a day in Ostmark, much less your home village Cantiilon. Some have the signs your father taught you, the bearing of warriors to be imitated and respected. A few, a terrifying few, are blank to your instincts. You came here bearing your fathers sword as part of a warband summoned by the church to protect the city. The skinny pale commanders of the Papal Guard say you should not leave the barracks where you sleep but they are stupid, your chief, who leads the warband, says this is the adventure of a life time.

Sir Daniel Weymont
You have lived in the bastion of the Knights of Weymont as long as you can remember. The Knights are a poor order dedicated to charity and protecting the less fortunate. You still remember the day ten years ago when you brought the dying bird you had cured to your guardian, sister Clematis, you also remember the look of fear on her face. Removed from the other children you were trained in combat by the order’s ancient master-at-arms. Now with the master of the order and sister Clematis both passed on, no one knows your secret. You are a genuine miracle worker blessed by god to do his will on this earth. Possibly the only one outside of the Papal College of Acolytes. You wait for divine inspiration but none seems to be forthcoming.

Cyric No Del'Ange
Alright, so the final exams weren’t the proudest moment of your life. But you passed didn’t you? So what if you had to bribe your professor. Between your good marks in theology and your natural intelligence you were perfect for the “Tower” bureaucracy, you were doing them a favor by getting yourself in. anyway you have plans big plans and no stiff-necked instructor was going to stop you. So what if secretary to the assistant of the permanent secretary to the cardinal in charge of document irregularities in the Ministry of Administrative Affairs wasn’t precisely what you had in mind? It’s a place to start. At least you won’t have to copy documents, you have a secretary for that. Your post takes up only a few hours every day and progress can be made on many fronts.

Suggested turn length: One Day
Submissions Close: Midnight Thursday

Nickknack
2013-09-15, 06:37 PM
Daniel woke up early with much vigor, like he does every morning. "Another day, another chance to do the lords work!" waking and annoying the other members of his squad. Daniel proceeded with his standard day of sparing and training, doing it all with a smile, but as the day progresses he feels the familiar sting of a lack of accomplishment. "When will I finally be able to use my abilities and training to make a difference and help people. Andlesontheon has been to quite lately" Daniel thinks to himself as another day progress without a mission or a job in sight.

Timonic
2013-09-15, 11:35 PM
Cyric

While faithfully attending my duties at the tower I plan to spend the majority of my time after my duties have been completed mapping and making notes of activities in the tower. I plan on taking notes on positions of guards and their patterns as well as any hidden passageways and corridors out of the way of usual daily traffic. I will do so by making notes in in a notebook the majority of which is filled with notes that a scholar should have. I will observe an area and then find a place to write down my observations. I will do my observation in a not manner so it is not obvious what I am doing(stealth). If questioned I will say I am simply taking notes. If questioned further I will admit to making a map for my personal use as "I am often forgetful of such things and do not want to be lost during conducting my sanctioned duties" I will then change the subject and talk of some obscure theory of theology (rhetoric + knowledge(theology)). I will not enter any areas which are obviously locked or restricted to me but I will not shy away from any area which seems to have little to no traffic and explore it.

After leaving the tower I will return to my residence the Del'Ange(name of house) manor. While there I will copy my notes and maps into a second notebook for safe keeping. Afterwards I will attempt to subtly suggest to my sister one year my elder that we could make an alliance to grab power among our house and the nobility. This will be done subtly to the point of there being a very real possibility of the true message I am wishing to convey being completely missed. After which I will retire to my chambers.

Drewbie
2013-09-16, 01:53 AM
Orias awakens from his night of slumber. He stretches and rolls his neck, realizing he slept on it a little funny.
"No matter. It's nothing to a warrior like me," Orias thinks to himself, bolstering his pride as he dons his standard outfit of bear fur and leather. He proceeds to walk through the barracks in search of food, but finding nothing all too appealing, he proceeds to take up his massive blade and leaves the city for a nearby woods, hoping to spend the day hunting.
He has yet to see any action on this so-called "adventure", and is growing tired of waiting for a fight to find him. He is still overwhelmed by the sheer size of the Holy City. He brushes past those he comes across, not bothering to regard them, and sets out to hunt for the day, hoping that soon, he will see why he bothered coming here.

Calum
2013-09-16, 08:23 PM
here we are, and bit ahead of schedule even. be sure not to forget your action points.

Sir Daniel Weymont
The New Year is not for some weeks yet, but already the old stones of the practice yard heat like an oven in the noonday sun. You are paired against Sir Kerus a Knight only a few years older than yourself. He is taller and faster than which gives him the advantage. The pair of you toe the practice line until, he lunges (+27) desperately you brace your Shield (+29) his wooden sword rebounds as you seize the advantage, but you stumble (+20) and he turns (+30) scoring a hit on your chest. Perhaps your magic could have made a difference perhaps not, any-road he defeated you fairly and you return his salute before turning towards a fresh opponent.

That evening there is a feast to celebrate the return of Sir Malthus who had gone on a pilgrimage retracing the foot-steps of Saint Amelia. The food is lavish by the standards of the knights and wine flows freely.

What do you do?

Orias The Annihilator
The city born guard at the gate of the barracks poses no obstacle to your progress (intimidate +16) and soon you are wondering the streets of the city. A small market has sprung up in front of the barracks, as you wade through the sea of shiny trinkets you are accosted by a man holding what appears to be a chicken, except for its blue and yellow plumage, after making it abundantly clear that you want no part of the bird you are able to escape the merchants clutches.

Unlike the tiring march of the previous day you now have time to look about, and above you. The tenements around the barracks are stacked three, four, even five, stories above the streets. Faint strains of music and the sounds of cool water waft from the hidden courtyards of the buildings as you pass. You yearn to be under trees again as you follow a course that should lead you out of the city.

After what seems like hours you come to the edge of the city. Unlike the massive gates where you entered, this section of the wall is only a little higher then that of the strongholds you are used to, though this one boasts fearsome metal spikes along the top. Some rope that has been left over the wall and a bit of loose stone work make the ascent (+16) simple and you are soon under the trees on the other side.

The woods around the city are strange indeed. You see only a few small beasts of prey and no trail-sign for anything larger. The city must be hungry if this is the state of its hunting land. Presently you come upon a verdant meadow. Standing a small ways off is a princess, no a queen, draped in gold and jewels. Near her is a shifty looking man, he looks at her and she lets out a scream as she collapses. He must be a bandit out to rob her! Perhaps if you rescue her you will be rewarded.

What do you do?

Cyric No Del'Ange
You are settling into your new post nicely, your secretary, a Mr. Hallas, is not a total idiot (bureaucracy +2) and you complete your tasks (+21) with a little time to spare. This time is spent exploring. The papal palace is so vast it may take you years to fully know it. But even rough notes are helpful (Geography, Papal palace +1), (bureaucracy +1). Unfortunately it lacks the secret passages and escape hatches that honeycomb noble residences, at least as far as you can see. As you make ready to return home, Hallas hands you a locked box, he explains that it is customary for bureaucrats to take some papers home with them for the carriage ride and to be worked on over the evening.

Your father and elder brothers are all away on various business ventures, so you relish the unfamiliar feeling of authority when the butler asks in which dining room dinner should be served. It is as good as ever, though your sister insists that cook’s white sauce leaves something to be desired. After the meal your mother retreats to her rooms and the children go to their nannies. Your sister suggests repairing to the garden as the weather is so clement. What you do not realise is that this gives her an avenue of escape from your convoluted conversation. Pursuing her across the lawn and between the flower beds you continue to expand on your topic until you notice that even her perfunctory responses have ceased. Turning to her you see a look of terror on her face, she lets out a shriek and slumps to the ground in a faint. When you follow her gaze you see a man in rags with a massive sword.

What do you do?

Nickknack
2013-09-16, 08:48 PM
"I love celebrations! Give this pudding a try, friend!" Daniel says, thrusting a bowl full of a yellowish goop towards the knave sitting across from him. Daniel gulps back his cup of wine. "Not as good as a cup of the ol' brew, but I'm not complaining!" Daniel exclaims, winking at the man sitting next to him.
Getting up from his seat, Daniel walks over to sir Malthus' table to pay his respects. "If I can steer the conversation towards current events, maybe I can find out if their is a mission or a job I can do" Daniel thought to himself. Daniel gets down on his knee, Welcome back Sir Malthus"

Rolling, for Chivalry, assuming I can use it to make myself look knightly infront of my superiors in an effort to get them to give me work. [roll0]

Timonic
2013-09-16, 10:31 PM
Cursing under my breath I immediately step between my sister and the ragged man. I call loudly for the house guards (assuming we have some in employ). I take up a duelling stance ready to dodge a strike from the man intending to avoid combat and lead the man away from my sister. I call out to the man asking him of his business in an attempt to engage him in conversation. I will inform him that he is trespassing and should vacate the area immediately. Hopefully some guards come soon as I am weaponless and even if I had a weapon I know I would be not of much use. If there is a point where my sister is taken to safety I will attempt to hide from the man loosing him in the gardens. However I hope for a diplomatic solution to this problem.

Drewbie
2013-09-17, 01:27 AM
Orias snarls, a grin making its way across his face. "Finally, maybe I can have some fun!"
He crouches behind some nearby trees or foliage, using his stealth tactics to creep as close to the scene as possible, watching how it begins to play out before intervening. Secretly, he debates the idea of a reward, but puts no stock in the charity of royalty, the lazy and rich.

Upon any sign of the puny troublemaker aiming to hurt the woman, Orias stalks briskly and strongly into the clear, loudly calling, "Attacking a woman. The way of a coward, if you ask me. What honor. How about you explain yourself or face a true fight!"
Orias decides based on the robber's argument how to respond. If he makes way of a weakling, he decides to cut down the cowardly fool with reckless abandon; though if he answers reasonably, he may buy himself a slight amount more time to further make his point before Orias chooses whether to raise his blade.
If the robber chooses not to respond, Orias shouts to the woman to stay still for her safety, and continues to attempt to obliterate the defiant scum.

After this dealing, he thinks, he can maybe capture some small game to snack on before he heads back to the barracks for whatever meal he is provided.

Calum
2013-09-18, 08:49 PM
Sir Daniel Weymont

Oh dear.

You wake-up in an unfamiliar room.

With a pounding headache.

What do you do?

Orias The Annihilator

The little man speaks well and the dispute is soon resolved. It seems you have inadvertently passed into his hunting grounds, such accidents are not uncommon in the north and the etiquette is clear. You owe him a token debt, but in return he must extend hospitality if you request it. Presently the man calls for his shield bearers, presumably to carry his sick woman.

It is at this point that a pair of running men moves into your line of sight. You quickly grasp the situation, the men are clearly escaping from this chief’s land, and in order to do so must pass the choke-point formed by the large square trees on either side of the trail, right where you stand.

What do you do?

Cyric No Del'Ange

Luckily the man seems open to reason giving your (+26) words, by turns honeyed and stern, time to work. It is at this moment that you realise just why your father insists on paying all those footmen to stand around all day. The path you are on runs between the high ornamental hedges that act as a backdrop to the flower garden. They shield the house from view but, shouldn’t stop your call from being heard. After glancing at the rough man, you summon the first footmen who come to mind “Altera, Dowell, Boyard, I need you”.

With the situation stabilised and help on the way you have time to apprise the fellow in front of you. Thin almost to the point of emaciation, covered with the obvious signs of parasitic infection and pock-marked with the scars of childhood illness he is a sorry sight. An attire of crudely tanned skins marks him as a man of the far north. Too poor to be a trader, he is probably with one of the parish battalions.

You are about to shout again when a pair of rushing figures round the corner of the hedge. They make for you and your, still unconscious, sister. It is only then that the foot men make their appearance in energetic, if ineffective, pursuit.

What do you do?

Nickknack
2013-09-18, 09:46 PM
"Ouch, my head aches, where am I? Is anyone here?

Daniel wakes up in a daze, unsure of what happened. The last thing he remembered he was going to talk to his superiors.
The first thing Daniel does after calling out is to search for his shield, thinking
"Men only wake up in an unfamiliar room under two circumstances: He has either bedded a beautiful lady or has bedded a fist in his face. Let's see if I was blessed with the lesser of two evils.

I prepare an action so that if Daniel sees anyone who seems 'rough around the edges' and unfamiliar, he charges at then dealing nonlethal damage.
For anyone else, he politely asks where he is and why he is here.

If Daniel is in a prison cell or is being held in a room against his will he searches the room for any openings, weaknesses, or possible ways out.
If there isn't anyone in the room and he isn't being held Daniel leaves the room

Drewbie
2013-09-20, 05:31 PM
I stand my ground, indicating no intention to stop them - even nodding a lazy acknowledgement to them - but at the last minute, throw my arms up to clothesline them each across the throat.
When they fall to the ground, I grab each of their shirts and pull them up to their feet (strength) and (somewhat) gently BONK their heads together. I then shove them to the ground in front of me and ask them, "You seem anxious to leave. What's the hurry? I'm sure a farewell to this fine chief is an order."

-If they try to leave further without explanation, I will attack them for nonlethal with my fists, to batter them unconscious.

-If they are cleared to leave by the chief, I let them pass.

Timonic
2013-09-21, 01:53 PM
I ask the ragged man to help me stop the two men approaching implying that I can reward him if he does so. I then pick my sister off of the ground supporting her and step so that the the ragged man is between us and the approaching men.

If the men are stopped I interrogate them as to why they are trespassing after handing my sister off two one of my footmen with orders to take her inside.

Overall all of my actions will be taken to ensure the safety of my sister.

Nickknack
2013-09-21, 10:18 PM
If Daniel attacks: [roll0] there is an additonal +2 if I have my sword and shield and another +2 if I have my armour
[roll1] strength check for trying to strong arm my way out if I am locked in

Calum
2013-09-22, 02:53 PM
Sir Daniel Weymont
As the buzzing in your head recedes it is replaced by plans and speculation pertaining to your situation. Unfortunately all are predicated on the absence of the manacles that chain you to the bed.

Despite your best efforts you can move only a little. From this restricted viewpoint you survey the room while trying to quell rising panic. The walls and floor are of rough wood, you can see one heavy door and a lone window. The blue sky outside the window suggests that you’ve been unconscious for some time. You can hear a general hubbub of street sounds, you seem to on a third or fourth floor, along with the cries of gulls. A pungent aroma of fish does little for your head.

Lord knows you have plenty of time, What do you do?

Orias The Annihilator
You may on occasion have passed for nonthreatening in the north but in the midst of this formal garden you are clearly a fighter. The running figures turn towards you. One draws a wicked looking blade from his cloak. You back pedal to gain space in which to draw your massive sword. The man flicks his knife at your head. You duck (+14) but the blade opens a river of blood on your scalp. [Scalp is wounded] your assailant has the advantage.

The next few moments may bring victory or death, What do you do?

Cyric No Del'Ange
You stand over your prone sister, in what you hope is a martial fashion. The footmen are still at least a minute away but approaching quickly. The smaller man reaches out with his hand, in it is a needle like dagger. You remember your fencing lessons and slip under his line of attack (+19) the man is hardly a more able combatant than yourself and the gambit works. You jag at his extended arm. He manages to retain his dagger but will feel the blow for a while yet. The advantage is yours

Their trying to kill you! What do you do?

Nickknack
2013-09-22, 03:23 PM
"Hello!?! Someone answer me? I am sir Daniel Weymont, Paladin of the church, and if you don't show yourself immediately there will be plenty of trouble." Daniel yells as he tries with all his might to get loose from his bindings.

Drewbie
2013-09-23, 12:48 PM
Feeling the slice of my scalp and the blood pour along my face, my blood begins to boil. My muscles feel a surge of energy as the excitement of battle takes place. I take a threatening stance and proclaim, What is your hurry? I'm sure this chief would know your rush, as would be courteous when leaving his grounds. I know not thee, nor the customs of this land, however I know the sight of malicious escapees, and this is precisely what you seem. I would request an explanation of thyselves!
I glance to see if the Chief is taking note of the progression, and further await an answer, hoping for a quick resolution to this issue. I don't care to be involved any further, thinking this boring society unworthy of this effort.
If necessary, I will allow the strangers to pass, and seek asylum with the Chief for a short while, until I feel the intruders will be far enough away to head back to the barracks.

Timonic
2013-09-24, 11:32 PM
I immediately make an attempt to disarm the man I am currently engaged with. If that fails i will step over my sister pushing the man back while making further attacks the goal being to disarm or to trip my enemy. ultimately I aim to hold them off until my footmen arrive or the barbarian takes care of them for me. I make an attempt to recruit the barbarian man to fight for me implying that it is his duty as a guest.

Calum
2013-09-25, 02:19 PM
Sir Daniel Weymont
Your struggles (+13) are to no avail. Slowly the room dims as day turns to evening. The bustling of the street below is replaced by intermittent sounds of revelry and chorusing, and soon even they are silenced by the night. Your thirst is now a more pressing concern then escape.

What can a man do in such a situation?

Orias The Annihilator
You shout at the man seeking to ward him off (+18) unluckily for you the man realises that he is trapped between you and the approaching vassals of the chief. He comes at you again and this time terror lends him strength, you raise your arms to ward off his blows (+20) but his knife finds a seam in your armour. The pain is staggering as the serrated blade rips through your gut [stomach is wounded]. Dimly you are aware that more men have joined the fight.

You inhabit a world of pain.

Cyric No Del'Ange
You press your advantage with a well-executed lunge, part of your mind even expects to hear the judge’s bell, unfortunately you grasp not a rapier but thin air and your attack (+3) falls short. Your right leg is left exposed and your opponent is not one to pass up such chances, the small blade draws little blood but the damage is done [right leg is wounded]. Any attempted to recruit the barbarian is stymied by the cacophony of combat but you observe that the oaf has not even drawn his sword. Does he think city folk play at knifes?

You and your opponent eye each other warily, each has hurt the other but your lack of weapon is starting to tell. The cavalry finally arrives in the form of footman Boyard and his massive horse-whip, which strikes your opponent’s legs from under him, even as Altera and Dowell engage the larger man.

What do you do now?

Nickknack
2013-09-26, 07:36 AM
Well, I think at this point I can safely rule out that my night was full of frivolity. An enemy of the church must have done... Daniel's thoughts are interrupted by a strong thirst. "I am so thirsty, but I can't show my weakness in front of an enemy. I must hold myself together for as long as possible.
Daniel calmly sits in the middle of the room, and begins to mutter prayers to himself.

Check to overcome the thirst (fortitude?) [roll0] + whatever bonuses apply.

Timonic
2013-09-28, 11:49 PM
Assuming my footmen have the situation under control I carry my sister inside and give orders for the footmen to cary the ragged man and the two assailants inside and to provide aid to the ragged man. after everyone is safe inside and the assailants are restrained I will interrogate the assailants to ascertain their reasons for attacking us and try to see who sent them.

Due to this experience I resolve to always carry a hidden blade from now on. Preferably a Dagger around 18cm long. I also resolve to carry a rapier at my side whenever socially appropriate. Hopefully I will not have to use these weapons and just the fact that I have them will protect me.

Drewbie
2013-10-01, 01:37 PM
Pain, anger, and a feeling that this is all ridiculous are all that can fill my mind, culminating into a very strong rage. I disregard all in the focus of self-preservation, and hack wildly and strongly at my assailant, in hopes that the chief's men retrieve him soon.
In my anger, I shout, YOU ARE WEAK!!

Calum
2013-10-02, 09:12 PM
Sir Daniel Weymont
In the blank darkness of the room you think back on your lessons (+14) a prayer comes to mind from The Trials of Justheon.

Oh, Lord. Why do you blind me so? Is it truly my part to walk, a road so blank? Travellers do keep the orbs for guide, yet none I see. Do you not see, King of Kings, the path too wide, us men too flawed and few?

As you recite aloud all eleven stanzas of Justheon’s rebuke you feel your mind clearing, and you recall more of the prayer.

Do you yet see the but in my rebuke? For you infinite in all things, can leave no act undone. I cast about for you as a drowning man reaches for the moon, that hangs above the sea. I seek only a place to stand, that I may observe your world in all its glory.

As what seems like hours pass you move into the second part of Justheon’s magnum opus. Presently a light enters the room, not of dawn but of the rising moon.

I see clearly now. All that is, is all the proof that all that is “is”, and all that is, is you, for you are “all” and “is”. The only self-evident truth, that is the beacon to guide us frail and few along the path of all that is.

As you approach the climax of Justheon’s increasingly belaboured prose you realise, to your horror that you will not be able to provide the required genuflection that completes the prayer.

You are greatest, you are highest, you are effervescent, you are kind, you are loving, you are terrible, you are the Good.

Reflex born of long hours and stiff discipline forces your spine to straighten and your muscles to lift. And to your surprise, you do sitting upright and bending at the waist for the first time in hours. You are free, the manacles no longer restrain you.

What do you do?

Orias, the Annihilator
So much of this city is strange to you, but one language is truly universal. Disregarding your previous reluctance you summon all your remaining strength [Action Points exhausted] to draw your sword. In one clean motion (+34) the shining river of steel leaves its scabbard and cuts across the blackguard. The bones of his ribcage crush satisfyingly and a fountain of blood erupts from what remains of his chest.

Bleeding from multiple wounds you have no choice but to accept the chief’s hospitality. Inside the grand house you are confronted by a shrill servant girl who is seemingly terrified by the sight of blood. From the overly gentle way your host reprimands her she must be close relation, or an idiot kept out of charity. After this you are brought to a small well-lit room with a table and chairs. The room is as clean as scoured granite, or it was until you speckled it with your blood. The large shield-barrier is offering to bandage your wounds, though you’re hardly in a position to refuse.

The ordeal has been harsh but you are beginning to learn more [Level +1] about yourself and the world. What do you do?

Cyric No Del'Ange
With the arrival of reinforcements the combat is quickly concluded. You attempt to transfer the proceedings indoors without alarming the woman. This aim is thwarted by Katy who, taking a break from minding the still-room, spots your sorry company. The maid’s hysterics might soon attract a crowd, but a few soft words and an order to fetch medicine (+26) calm the girl. Your sister, Lashanda, is safely placed in the care of her lady’s maid, Caroll, and you are soon ensconced in the servant’s dining room. You also take the time to acquire a fighting knife from one of the footmen. It makes you feel safer, even if you don’t really know what to do with it.

Boyard has some experience with the side-effects of violent antagonism and begins to preform first-aid on the two wounded men. He also respectfully suggests that a doctor be summoned as the deep slashes on the larger assailant are beyond his ability to mend. The smaller assailant, however, was only stunned and is easily revived by the draught that Katy returns with.

There are many ways to make men talk. Which do you pick?

Nickknack
2013-10-02, 09:23 PM
"Thank you lord, for this freedom I am blessed." Daniel says. With what little strength he has left, Daniel makes his way to the rooms exit. With his prayers being answered Daniel is a bit more optimistic. No matter how tough the road gets, as long as I have faith I will overcome.

Drewbie
2013-10-05, 03:08 AM
I accept the hospitality of the chief by allowing the shield-bearer to bandage my wounds, however reluctantly. I understand that I will owe the Chief far more than just a favor for this effort, and as the shield-bearer attends to my wounds, I inquire of them information on the ridiculous weakling who attempted to defeat me, definitely playing up my pride. I attempt to infer a hope that this person was nobody of great importance, or at least just a troublemaker. However, in reality, I'm not extremely concerned as long as my challenger is destroyed.

I ask the shield-bearer, as he assists me, if there is a way I could seek audience with the Chief to offer my help in exchange for the hospitality he has offered me.
I intend to do so as soon as possible, and plan to part ways with this outrageous little place.

Timonic
2013-10-08, 10:38 PM
I send an extra servant to go inform the appropriate authorities of the attack.
I send the women away and ensure that my footmen and I will not be disturbed during the interrogation process.
Fist I ask my footmen for their account of the story without the two men's knowledge.
I then interrogate them separately assuming the second wakes up.
I first simply ask, nicely for the man to please answer my questions.
What are you doing here?
Why did you harm my people?
Who sent you?
I then ask the questions in a harsher tone.
I will then judge if further investigation is required.
If so I will then instruct my footmen to rough the men up a bit then ask again.

I am aiming to find any discrepancies between the two men's stories.

Calum
2013-10-10, 12:29 PM
Sir Daniel Weymont

You stand up and make your way towards the door. At first your sore muscles protest but soon they submit to the discipline expected of them. When you enter the beam of light coming from the window you see the reason for your freedom, the pins holding the manacles have rusted through. As such your hands are still bound but you can move about freely.
The door is the obvious focus as you explore the room, made of heavy timbers it is rather sturdy and you despair of breaking it down. Except for one fact, the door is barred on this side! Someone was more concerned with intruders to this room them the occupant escaping.

The building is silent, you observe no light either under the door or between the floor boards. The first phase of your ordeal seems to be over [level +1]

Orias, the Annihilator

The large shield-bearer is not unskilled at patching and sewing [scalp bandaged] [stomach bandaged]. You learn that the man was a thief and not a member of the house hold.

When you tentatively ask how you might approach the chief the man adopts a tone better suited for explaining how to herd goats “I don’t know how things are done by you skrags but here in civilisation if you want to talk to a man your standing in a room with, you just ask him. Now I’ve patched you up but don’t go running and climbing about the place or you’ll get hurt, you understand? Hurt bad, Savvy?” with that he turns to his chief. “ With all due respect Mr Del-Ange a doctor really should be called I don’t know what that bloody barbarian did to the thief, but he spilling blood everywhere, the thief that is, not the barbarian is doing fine.”

Presently the thief’s punishment begins as the shield-bearer holds the man and strikes him repeatedly.

How are you doing?

Cyric No Del'Ange

It occurs to you that you haven’t been in this part of the house before Creary, the steward, runs a tight ship but the servant’s passages lack the aromatic infusions of the living quarters. Katy is almost reluctant to leave what promises to be a ghoulish scene but a stern look sends her on her way.

Boyard still seems worried about the other assailant. “With all due respect Mr. Delange a doctor really should be called I don’t know what that bloody barbarian did to the thief, but he's spilling blood everywhere, the thief that is, not the barbarian is doing fine” having assured him that you'll take full responsibility you take him aside to get the facts of the matter. “Well Mr. Delange the first I heard of it was from your valet, he came out to the coach house all worked up, saying that there was a thief in the house and he, the thief not the valet, had made off with some of your papers, at that I gathered a few men and made for the house following him, the valet not the thief, that’s when we heard you call and came running.”

The larger assailant is still unconscious, his breathing ever shallower, but the small man has returned to his senses enough for your purposes. You question him plainly (+22) and harshly (+14) but your only response is silence and slang. You ask Boyard for assistance, he seems reluctant but you convince him that you are well within your rights (+21). Afterwards you ask the thief again (+19) but your efforts seem to have had the opposite effect, the small man is defiant.

Do you double down or try a different tack?

Nickknack
2013-10-12, 04:43 PM
"At last, freedom." Daniel thought to himself, reaching his tired arm for the door.
In his current state lifting the bar off the door is a struggle for Daniel. "Hopefully there arn't any enemies, I don't know if I can handle a fight in the state I am in." Daniel thought to himself, while opening the door to what he hopes is the end of this ordeal...

Timonic
2013-10-16, 10:51 PM
I get both thieves searched by my footmen.
I send for a doctor to come and treat the wounded man.
Then I order him to be striped and then dressed in a servants uniform and for cuts to be placed in corresponding places on the uniform as to make it appear as if the man is a member of our servants and was attacked by the other. I intend to keep this man and question him later. I keep this secret from the other thief.

When authorities arrive I will tell them that the thief attacked my servant and ask him to be taken away. If he protests that he did not attack the wounded man I will assure the authorities that he did and that it is foolish to believe a criminal.

When medical help arrives I ask for the man to be healed as one of my household. Then keep the man under watch in my household while he recovers.

Until help arrives I will do everything in my power to keep the wounded man alive.

Drewbie
2013-11-13, 01:47 AM
I nod my agreement to not push my luck or my boundaries, but I grin wildly upon hearing how the thief is doing, likely receiving a negative look from the shield-bearer.
I ask the shield-bearer if the thief took something important when his attention returns.
I push aside the pain, promising to rest before taking on any strenuous tasks.
If I am free to move, I explore the nearby area, walking slowly, to see what I can see.

Calum
2013-11-21, 09:41 PM
Turn 8

Sir Daniel Weymont
Slowly you lift the heavy wooden bar and attempt to open the door. At first it seems stuck but as you push (+19) it gives with a curious crumbling sound. The passage outside is pitch black. Even as you despair of finding your way a feeling of light builds inside you, it feels different yet somehow related to your earlier prayers. The feeling grows until (+10) a small flickering light no brighter than a candle appears over your shoulder. Its casts a warm but feeble circle of illumination, that allows you to find the staircase. With its aid you descend to the ground floor (+20).

On the ground floor is a scene of sickening carnage. Three, or perhaps four, men lie strewn about the room. The stench of death is almost over powering. Worse yet, your light disturbs the rats and insects that were feasting upon the corpses sending them scurrying to the corners. Aside from the gruesome décor the room is quite ordinary as with the ground floor of most Harbor district buildings it is given over to a business of some sort. One door presumably leads to the front of the shop the other seems to have been blown off its hinges by some great force. Through it you dimly make out a small alleyway between this building and the next.

Cyric No Del'Ange
A thorough search of the men uncovers, aside from the usual tools of the trade, a small red envelope that must clearly have been their target. The seal on the envelope bears a martial coat of arms surmounted on a great lizard wreathed in some sort of foliage. From this you recognise (+23) it as that of a senior leader of a knightly order. Unfortunately specifics escape you.

Your cunning plan to pass off one of the men as your servant is a great success. The watchmen are all too eager to find an open and shut case. Boyard, at least, seems mildly bemused at such careful preparations, but knows full well that he has already pushed the bounds of his office. Mr. Pearble, on the other hand is only beginning. The man has held the position of butler to the Del’Anges for some time and does not appreciate a young scamp intruding on his domain. He does not address you directly, but looks on disapprovingly while directing the servants to clean up after you.

The Del’Ange’s Doctor is one Miles Chacani, who combines certification from the papal university with his people’s reputation for honesty and discretion. He is close to the family and is always available at short notice. Chacani’s accent retains something of the south to it even under the precise intonations of the university life. “Ah, Mister Del'Ange, Cyrric I believe it was? Perhaps we should proceed directly to the patient. The boy you sent led me to understand that the situation was urrgent.” The man is more than competent. He quickly diagnoses three broken ribs and severe blood loss. A masterfully applied cast and an infusion of Rockwart soon stabilises the man and Chacani predicts that he well make a full recovery.

Orias, the Annihilator
Now that you’re in the great house it could hardly hurt to explore a little. The room you are in now is clearly a dining hall, the lone set of windows high on one wall lending it a gloomy aspect. Its most prominent feature is the whole north wall that is festooned with metal bells. Presently one of them rings causing the fearsome old man standing by the door to snap an order at the line of women in the hall behind him. He seems rather upset at being rousted from his customary place by your host.

No one makes a move to stop you as leave the room. The hall is low and thin, lit by the same small windows high on the walls. To your left the passage is blocked by a gaggle of similarly dressed women all straining to see the events transpiring in the dining room. A few turn to look in your direction and you quickly make your way down the left hand passage. The first door you pass is locked but a cool breeze seeps under it. The next is also locked as are the two after it. The fifth is slightly ajar but a harsh eye-watering smell convinces you to continue on your way. A narrow twisting staircase extends upwards but a faint whiff of fresh air and fine horses beckons you further down the passage. As though from nothing a girl, or perhaps a young woman, is blocking your path. She wears a dress like the lady you met in the forest behind the house and yet she is barely two thirds your height. As if she was worried that she might not be heard she exclaims “H-How many skulls do you have?”

Nickknack
2013-12-15, 01:22 PM
"By the Lord, this is a sad sight to see!" gasps Daniel, shocked at the seen of such a dark crime. Daniel immediately bows his head in sadness and says a short prayer in hopes that these men find peace. snapping back to the situation, Daniel thinks to himself: I should try to avoid confrontation, seeing as I am unprepared and unarmed. Despite the odd state of the backdoor, that is probably my safest bet.

Drewbie
2014-01-10, 01:13 PM
I briefly look back to the door that emanated the foul stench, intrigued, but not enough to venture over there.
I turn on my manly charms and swagger a little closer to her, slightly limping but with posture that indicates the pride of a battle won. "Surely, I know not what you speak of, my lady, as I am a stranger here," I reply, "But I do wonder if you could inform me where I can find a meal, and maybe some company?"

Timonic
2014-01-11, 01:04 PM
I give orders for the disguised robber to be kept in a locked room in the servants quarters.

I retire to my chambers and carefully open the letter with a knife being making sure that the seal stays intact. After reading the letter I heat the underside of the seal to reseal the letter.

I then send for the barbarian if he is still around and offer him the position of a part time bodyguard.

Calum
2014-01-11, 11:37 PM
Turn 9

Sir Daniel Weymont

You run through the night as fast as your legs can carry you (+11). In this pitch dark alley your captors could be in hot pursuit and you wouldn’t know until it was far too late.

It feels like you have been running for hours but dawn has not yet begun to break. You know that the harbor quarter is bisected by the Decumanus and the Cardo Del’Mer but in the tangle of tight packed streets you have little hope of finding your way. You come to an intersection, ahead the street devolves back into a warren like tangle. To your right the buildings become shabbier lacking even the dynamism to intrude onto the straight path. To your left relatively legitimate shops line both sides of the street, shutters tightly locked and in the distance a lone streetlamp is dimly suggestive of civilisation.

the choice is yours.

Orias The Annihilator

The girl seems somewhat nonplused at your response, but soon regains her previous poise “no, no, no you misunderstand me. It is precisely because you are a stranger here that I inquire. I have recently read, in Vercuma’s “My Travels among the Frozen People” and Abbot Lessman’s “practices of the northern congregations” that Northmen keep the skulls of their enemies as trophies. I gathered from your attire that you are not a resident of the city and your complexion is clearly not that of a Southron or an islander. Given that a warband of Northmen arrived in the city only yesterday it is reasonable to assume that a pale swordsman stranger dressed in skins is in fact a Northman and thus keeps several Skulls as trophies” when finished she stares at with a look of such utter certainty that you briefly consider whether you do not in fact have some skulls and had merely forgotten this apparently vital aspect of your culture.

Who is this girl?

Cyric No Del'Ange

You dispatch the thief in care of Boyard and retreat from the servant’s hall under the gaze of Mr. Pearble. After seeing the doctor to the door you make for you rooms. The household has at times been a less than collegial environment and as a result your rooms are somewhat self-sufficient. As your return from academia is still recent you lack a valet. In his absence the maids do a tolerable job in maintaining the rooms, but you are forced to dress yourself. This is less of an imposition as you became used to fending for yourself in the monastic life of a student, but it still rankles.

Finally alone in your rooms you begin to shake uncontrollably as the knowledge that someone tried to kill you filters through your consciousness. If it hadn’t been for that Northman it is quite conceivable that you would be dead. Perhaps the Papal Guard could be convinced to second him for a while.

You attempt to open the letter without leaving any traces, but your still shaking hands (+2) slice a piece from the seal. Cursing your luck you read the letter

Dear E
If you are reading this something has gone terribly wrong, most likely I am dead or have been compromised to such an extent that I can only be a hindrance to our plans. I cannot foresee what will happen to the treasure after my passing so I urge you to retrieve him regardless of the cost. Others will surely be hunting him down and I shudder to think what ends he would be put to if caught. The one who controls him may in time control the Papacy. I hope you will forgive this old man his dreadful prognostications but I write in fear, both for my life and the sanctity of the church.

The plans that we discussed previously will be put into motion if possible. To that end I have established a safe house where the treasure will be store in the event of an emergency. The house is located six and one third blocks west of the Cardo Del’Mer and eleven blocks south of the Decumanus. I merely pray that these preperations will be sufficient.

Yours devoutly H

P.S Justheon 4:11

Well, that is something.

Timonic
2014-01-22, 11:14 PM
I commit the contents of the letter to memory, unsatisfied with my attempt at breaching the letter without leaving traces I decide on a different course of action. I fold the letter back up and place it in the envelope I throw the whole thing into the fire place and ensuring that it burns completely.

I then take out one of my own envelops and some paper. I compose a letter in purposely poor handwriting which reads as orders to sneak into the Del'Ange manor and steal a treasure belonging to the head of the house. I mark the letter as from 'm'. I seal the letter with wax but do not mark the seal in any way. I then break the seal after it has cooled then press it back down as if opened and then shut again.

I then look up the verse referenced in the original letter. After reading it I go to sleep.

Nickknack
2014-01-25, 08:17 PM
With what little strength he can muster, Daniel trudges along to the left. As he trudges along, Daniel tries to carry himself in the toughest way possible to avoid looking week. as he walks Daniel says prayers of safety under his breath.

Drewbie
2014-05-05, 02:19 AM
I nod my recognition of the culture of my tribe.
"I am Orias. My victories in battle are many, lady. They call me The Annihilator. I allow my prowess and honor to speak for itself. I have no need for the bones of the dead and the haunting of their spirits. That said, there are other things a woman can do to acquaint herself with me.
"Now what of you? May I ask who you are?"

I shift inward, slightly imposing over her to assert my presence, communicating silently that I take myself seriously, and she should as well.

Calum
2014-05-10, 04:04 PM
Turn 10

Cyric No Del'Ange

You attempt to create a substitute for the letter you destroyed by disguising your handwriting. You know of people who would do a better job but, you hope your own efforts will suffice.

Justheon 4:11 is hardly an obscure reference (+13) and your own set of ecclesiastical texts contain Justtheon’s epic poem in whole.

Cruel but cautious was the king, who ruled a land of plenty.

Workers came, and workers died to sate an evil century.

The house of gold did rise by day, oh what a sight to see.

But fell at night, with cold calamity.

The hermit said unto the king “make your measures twice as wide and twice as tall.

Then your safe hold will not fall”.

Hide your treasure, hide your kin, keep them warm and safe within.

Considering the possible meaning of the message you prepare for sleep, you will be expected at the tower early the next day.

Sir Daniel Weymont

As the street continues to widen the buildings no longer hunch together overhead and the sky is dimly tinged with the peach coloured light of dawn. The city shakes off the toper of the previous night like some great beast ready for a new day of hunting. First, the bakers complete their nightly tasks and open shutters to begin the daily trade. The trade of the bakers allows the food venders to open their stalls for the morning traffic. A thousand regional delicacies are represented, from the spicy grain and bean cakes of the islanders to the hearty slabs of meat, cheese, and egg, adapted to city life by wrapping the package in a hollow crust of bread, favored by northern traders. The body of the bread is sold on down the line of stalls to a western gentleman who expertly fries the deceptively insubstantial rissoles popular among Shappish bookkeepers and those who work with paper and pen. Scattered among the lesser stalls are the gaudily decorated carts of the Hannish noodle venders, garish signs promise long life and prosperity to habitual patrons.

The aromas are overpowering it suddenly seems like you haven’t eaten in days, perhaps because you haven’t, hunger and fatigue cloud your mind as such the only prayer that comes to mind is the morning devotional (+6) you mutter it as you walk slowly forward amid the growing clamor.

Orias The Annihilator

"I am Trea, Antonia Del’Ange daughter of Lelmation Del-Ange, granddaughter of the Duke Dimitriadis Antonios On-Pelagos." She seems set to continue but is interrupted by an older woman dressed much more plainly then the girl. “Mistress Trea you have been warned about sneaking downstairs and bothering the tradesman…” She glances at you. “…and talking to strangers. Upstairs now! That Merrie spoils you rotten I’ll have Ms. Woodbury talk to your mother see if I won’t”

Perhaps you have over stayed your welcome it must be some hours since you left the barracks and it would do you no good to go AWOL on your first day in the city.

Drewbie
2014-05-13, 05:17 PM
"Excuse me, Lady," I say to the old lady, and I wander the way I came, more hungry than curious, just looking for some food. I have grown uncomfortable in this place, and want to make it back to the barracks for a meal.
I push forward to seek audience with the Chieftain, to thank him for his aid to my wounds, and to communicate to him my intention to return to the Holy City, where I am visiting.
"This place feels irritating," I think to myself. "Too many rules to follow, and manners to impart. I desire to be here no more. My obligation must be fulfilled, and I must enter battle yet again to crush those who threaten the Holy City."