PDA

View Full Version : [Pure PF] Suggested splat books

Jhango
2013-09-13, 07:58 PM
Hey guys!

I noticed there are quite a few splat books out for Pathfinder, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest any really good ones for character creation?

By Splat books, I do mean books other than the Player's Handbook, Advanced Players Handbook, Ultimate Magic, and Ultimate Combat.

Official Pathfinder books only please, no 3rd party stuff.

Feint's End
2013-09-13, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Campaign ... everything on how to create authentical characters and campaigns and much more

Advanced Races Guide .... way more races and a system to create new ones. Also lots of awesome ARchetypes

If you are into Psionics ... those books are pretty awesome too though I'd wait for the combined release of those.

Raven777
2013-09-13, 09:48 PM
Inner Sea World Guide, which details Pathfinder's default campaign setting, Golarion. Golarion is a really cool place. Worth it for Cheliax (think medieval Star Wars Empire with Devils holding the reins) and Numeria (a Fallout like barren waste full of scavengers where an alien ship full of cybernetics and Cthulhu references crashed aeons ago) alone.

I hear most of the Adventure Paths are also pretty good. Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne and Reign of Winter sound really worth playing.

Dr. Yes
2013-09-13, 09:54 PM
What's your goal? d20pfsrd.com is pretty much the ultimate resource for character options, so if those are what you're looking for, that's what I'd recommend.

Ailowynn
2013-09-13, 10:15 PM
By splatbooks do you mean stuff likethis (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/companion/pathfinderRPG)? If so, the Dungeoneer's Handbook, Paths of Prestige, and Faiths of Balance/Purity/Corruption are pretty good.

Jhango
2013-09-13, 10:30 PM
By splatbooks do you mean stuff likethis (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/companion/pathfinderRPG)? If so, the Dungeoneer's Handbook, Paths of Prestige, and Faiths of Balance/Purity/Corruption are pretty good.

This is exactly what I mean by splat books. :D

d20pfsrd.com is a great resource, however I find it rather difficult most times to locate what books the content comes from.

I'm just trying to put together a list of all the good ones so I know what to go out and get :D
(Loving the Books of the Damned right now)

Squirrel_Dude
2013-09-13, 10:57 PM
Inner Sea World Guide
Advanced Race Guide
Inner Sea World Guide
Ultimate Equipment
Inner Sea Magic
Pathfinder Society Field Guide
Inner Sea World Guide

Arutema
2013-09-14, 02:07 AM
Blood of Angels if you're thinking of playing an Aasimar.
Blood of Fiends if you're thinking of playing a Tiefling.
(Less so Blood of Night for Dhampirs, it wasn't as good.)

Faiths and Philosophies for a lot of atheistic and pantheistic goodness.
Animal Archive for greatly expanded animal companion and familiar options.

And finally, combine those last 2 for a 3-feat chain that gives any class a full animal companion from a limited list.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-09-14, 07:02 AM
I'm just trying to put together a list of all the good ones so I know what to go out and get :D
(Loving the Books of the Damned right now)

The sources of the content is always right there on the bottom of the page.

That said, I like having the books anyway: I like to sit down and read the books cover to cover when the new content comes out (as opposed to clicking through wiki pages), and the art and presentation is usually fantastic.

Greenish
2013-09-14, 07:46 AM
I've browsed Inner Sea World Guide, and it somehow just failed to grip me. Maybe because I've no familiarity whatsoever with the setting, but it seemed more like a list of places and things than something that'd make me want to play there. Bits and pieces were interesting, but… eh.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-09-14, 07:53 AM
I've browsed Inner Sea World Guide, and it somehow just failed to grip me. Maybe because I've no familiarity whatsoever with the setting, but it seemed more like a list of places and things than something that'd make me want to play there. Bits and pieces were interesting, but… eh.

Eh, the inner sea world guide is "Let's cram as many 2-3 page descriptions as we possibly can in one book." It's nowhere near everything there is to see. Take the bits you found interesting and find other books that deal with them.