PDA

View Full Version : Making Psionics Count as Arcane And/Or Divine Casting

Rubik
2013-09-13, 08:00 PM
I know that the Magic Mantle (from Complete Psionic) forces magic and psionics to "Identical" for all purposes, but is there some way to push manifesting into counting as arcane and divine for, say, qualifying for feats, PrCs, and item usage? There are lots of things that could be useful for arcane and divine casters that simply don't work with psionics as written, and I'd like to find a way.

Anyone have any ideas?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-13, 08:07 PM
Many prestige classes have built-in adaptations for use with psionic classes instead of spellcasting classes. Most spellcasting feats have a psionic equivalent, while psionics gets plenty of its own unique feats that spellcasters can't benefit from.

What specific feats, prestige classes, and items are you wanting to benefit from?

Rubik
2013-09-13, 08:08 PM
Many prestige classes have built-in adaptations for use with psionic classes instead of spellcasting classes. Most spellcasting feats have a psionic equivalent, while psionics gets plenty of its own unique feats that spellcasters can't benefit from.Alas, adaptations are homebrew and aren't likely to see use at some tables, at least. I'm looking for something printed in text, even if it's 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder, or Dragon Magazine. The more options we have available, the better.

What specific feats, prestige classes, and items are you wanting to benefit from?All of them.

Psyren
2013-09-13, 08:22 PM
Even if you go with that very obviously unintended reading, since as you rightly point out it isn't typed, they would end up with the same restrictions faced by Shadowcasters.

Rubik
2013-09-13, 08:32 PM
A limited form could be used with UMD, assuming the item requires a specific type of casting to use but doesn't specify what type of spell you're casting -- such as a prayer bead of karma.

Mjollnir075
2013-09-14, 12:40 AM
Well, I don't know how much this will help you at the moment, but while I was reading up on the (hopefully coming soon) Ultimate Psionics, I believe I seen it mentioned that it would have a section dedicated to treating Psionics as a sort of Rune Magic.

Now, whether that means it will be counted as Arcane casting or not, I can't say, but it may be a step in the direction you are looking for. On the Paizo website, some of the comments from the head guy from DSP made it sound as though Ultimate Psionics (at least the PDF) would be available in the next month or so (I'm hoping..).

Psyren
2013-09-14, 12:42 AM
PF Psionics doesn't have mantles though, so now you're involving houserules to get the two systems to work together.

Rubik
2013-09-14, 12:59 AM
PF Psionics doesn't have mantles though, so now you're involving houserules to get the two systems to work together.Unless you're playing 3.P.

Psyren
2013-09-14, 01:02 AM
Unless you're playing 3.P.

Right, that's what I said.

Rubik
2013-09-14, 01:15 AM
Right, that's what I said.I thought Pathfinder was meant to be played with 3.X. "Backwards compatibility" was supposed to be one of the primary goals of the system, unless I'm mistaken.

Psyren
2013-09-14, 01:21 AM
I thought Pathfinder was meant to be played with 3.X. "Backwards compatibility" was supposed to be one of the primary goals of the system, unless I'm mistaken.

It was - but the DM explicitly gets to pick and choose what is brought in and what is left out. It's not a baseline assumption that all 3.5 material is allowed the way that, say, the APG or Ultimate Equipment might be.

Just to Browse
2013-09-14, 01:32 AM
I thought Pathfinder was meant to be played with 3.X. "Backwards compatibility" was supposed to be one of the primary goals of the system, unless I'm mistaken.

You still need to stick houserules in there. Like, are grapple checks with grapple mods or CMBs? Do you get favored class bonuses? Which version of grease do you use?

Rubik
2013-09-16, 06:01 PM
If you really stretch it, I suppose you could be a spell-to-power erudite and have a 2nd level spell known that is on both the wizard's and cleric's spell list to qualify for geomancer (since you can now cast a 2nd level arcane and divine spell, technically), and use Spell Versatility to make it count as both arcane and divine whenever you need it.

Alternatively, magic mantle + illithid savant to pull in Spell Versatility for use on your powers.

That last one...might be the way to go, actually. But then, it's illithid savant, which could potentially be the answer to every optimization question in the whole game, if you try hard enough...

[edit] After a bit of consideration, the geomancer trick requires one level of each class you want to use spell versatility for. So a cleric 1/wizard 1/StP erudite 15/illithid savant 3 with the magic mantle could use spell versatility to force its powers to count as cleric or wizard spells, at will.

Best if used in gestalt, methinks, or while using Fusion.