PDA

View Full Version : How vague can we make Immune to Divine Damage?

CyberThread
2013-09-13, 08:46 PM
So curious on just a three level dip in the defiant which makes you immune to divine damage, (not just divine spells that do damage). How far can we streeeeeeeetttttchhh that term to fit other things besides normal spells.

Benthesquid
2013-09-13, 08:49 PM
Well, once you start stretching the term, your GM may well tell you that since nothing is listed as causing Divine Damage in the rulebook, your ability is useless.

If it's just an exercise in semantics... well, Druids (potentially) draw Divine Power from worship of nature, so anything that occurs in nature is divine and therefore unable to harm you, for starters.

Psyren
2013-09-13, 08:50 PM
Err, it's pretty clear. If the damage type is "divine," you're immune - it already applies to things besides spells.

So if for instance a Dweomerkeeper tried to blast you with Su Flamestrike, you'd still resist the divine half of the damage.

ArcturusV
2013-09-13, 08:51 PM
And keep in mind Fiends, Archons, etcs, are all basically the personal bootlickers of a divine force, and reside on planes of divine energy held together by divine will, etc... one could probably argue that it makes you nigh immune to the spells, abilities and natural weapons of Outsiders. Also possibly anything which carries a damage type like Holy or Unholy, Axiomatic and Anarchic. If you want to go for insane stretching of the definition. But I wouldn't suggest it.

TuggyNE
2013-09-13, 09:34 PM
Psyren has the right of it for a sane reading.

If you mean "full munchkin misreading, anything goes", well... anything goes. You can justify pretty much any absurdity with enough fast-talking.

Novawurmson
2013-09-13, 10:13 PM
Assumption: Gods created the D&D universe in question.
Therefore, all things in the D&D universe have a divine origin.
Therefore, all damage in the D&D universe could perhaps be considered a form of "divine damage."

If you want to go with a silly and 100% not RAI or RAW reading.

Edit: Even better:

The DM is most likely the maker and sustainer of the presumed D&D universe, taking the role of a "creator" or "god" of the world.
Therefore, effects caused by the DM are essentially divine for the inhabitants of the world.
Therefore, the damage is "divine damage," and any damage caused by the DM to the Defiant is negated.

Segev
2013-09-13, 10:21 PM
Ah, but can the DM even find the Defiant? I hear it has a Romulan cloaking device.

Psyren
2013-09-13, 10:41 PM
"Special: Any character who has a connection to a god, demigod, or other divine entity must renounce that connection before taking a level in this prestige class."

You were created by a deity, therefore you have a connection. The only way to renounce it is to unmake yourself. Until you do, you can't be a Defiant.

CyberThread
2013-09-14, 12:09 AM
Psyren, I think you are confusing monotheistic setting, compared to the other settings. In most settings ( using human as an example) Humans were not made by anything, and don't have much of an mysterious origin.

Psyren
2013-09-14, 12:40 AM
Psyren, I think you are confusing monotheistic setting, compared to the other settings.

Why would mono vs. polytheism have anything to do with it? In D&D, whether there was one deity or a pantheon, at least one god had a hand in every race's creation.

If you try to go for a cheesy reading of this ability these are the kinds of doors that get opened.

Jeff the Green
2013-09-14, 01:33 AM
Why would mono vs. polytheism have anything to do with it? In D&D, whether there was one deity or a pantheon, at least one god had a hand in every race's creation.

If you try to go for a cheesy reading of this ability these are the kinds of doors that get opened.

Depends on the setting. I'm pretty sure in Eberron at least some people think gods don't exist at all.