PDA

View Full Version : Celestial Dire Hawk companion - did I do it correctly?

ericp65
2013-09-13, 09:33 PM
Hey, all! One of my characters, who has both Druid and Lion of Talisid levels (among others), has an exalted companion in the form of a celestial dire hawk. I'm not sure if it's written correctly, so I'd appreciate any corrections that are needed.

Here's what I've got:
Magical beast (extraplanar), NG, 5' long, 11' wingspan
HD 9d8+10 (46 hp), init +6, speed 10' (fly 80', avg), AC 19 (touch 16, ff 13), Base att/grap +0/-10, att 2 claws +9 m and bite +4 m (1d4+1, 1d6, respectively), space/reach 5'/5', SA smite evil (1/day, normal att for extra damage vs. evil foe), SQ Low-light vision, Darkvision 60', acid/cold/elec res 5, SR 14, DR 5/magic.

Saves: F +6, R +10, W +6
Abilities: 14 24 15 3 15 11
Skills: Listen/Spot/M.S. +8 each (+8 racial bonus on Spot checks)
Feats: Weapon Finesse (bite), Weapon Finesse (claw)

Bonus tricks: attack, down, fetch
Special: link, share spells, evasion, devotion

Is the racial bonus on Spot checks applied over and above the normal bonus, or is that the final number?

Please gently smack me upside the head and show me the error of my ways :smallwink:

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-14, 06:51 AM
For a start, you're missing like three feats. Weapon Finesse doesn't need to be taken twice, and your hawk buddy gets an extra feat every third level just like anyone else.

It has 12 skill points*. 1 appears to be in Move Silently (its Dex modifier is +7, for a total of +8), 6 in spot (Wisdom modifier is +2), and... its Spot modifier is 2 too low even without skill points.

Its Saves should be Fort +6, Reflex +6, Will +3 before modifiers (Magical Beasts have good Fort and Ref and poor Will) - so, in total, Fort +8, Ref +13, Will +5.

And finally, its BaB should be +9 (Magical Beasts get 1:1 BaB, like Fighters). This'll give it a second attack at +3 if you give it a manufactured weapon (although it won't be proficient without spending a feat).

So... apply three feats and 5 skill points (its class skills are Listen, Spot and Move Silently, everything else is cross class, maximum ranks in anything is 12). As it's sapient (Int 3), it can have ranks in cross-class skills if you want it to.

*Magical Beasts get 2 + Int per level, minimum 1 per level, and x4 at first level. Which makes 12.

ericp65
2013-09-14, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I knew some things weren't as they should be.

This companion is for a 26th level character whose level progression includes Swift Hunter 5, Druid 5, Prestige Ranger 2, and Lion of Talisid 4, and these are the classes she has that affect animal companions' abilities.