PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you have two similar abilities?

CyberThread
2013-09-14, 12:24 AM
Say you have a claw attack,and a PRC gives you a claw attack, and they both do the same damage, then does nothing happen or some sort of dice upgrade?

ArcturusV
2013-09-14, 12:28 AM
As far as I can remember or find, it doesn't do anything. If one was higher damage, then it would just use the higher function. But two instances of the exact same natural attack (Or whatever) don't stack. E.g.: If I had two classes that both gave me a feat like... Improved Initiative... I'd only get the feat once for a +4, not twice for a +8.

The only things that would really stack is say... dodge bonuses I suppose, as they explicitly stack. So if you had two abilities giving you a Dodge then you could put them together.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-14, 06:44 AM
Well... if they each only give you one claw attack, you might be able to say each goes on a separate hand and this gives you two claw attacks. But that'd be an 'ask your DM nicely to house rule it' situation.

If they both give you two claw attacks and you only have two hands, no dice.

Eldonauran
2013-09-14, 11:29 AM
Well... if they each only give you one claw attack, you might be able to say each goes on a separate hand and this gives you two claw attacks. But that'd be an 'ask your DM nicely to house rule it' situation.

If they both give you two claw attacks and you only have two hands, no dice.

Yuki has the right of it. Personally, as the DM, I would allow the claw to go up one dice on damage.

Urpriest
2013-09-14, 11:39 AM
The title really should reflect what you're asking about, natural weapons aren't exactly abilities.

Anyway, it depends on the wording. If the PrC just gives you claws on an existing limb, you use the better damage. If they give you a new limb, you get both.

Chronos
2013-09-14, 11:48 AM
Most things that give you natural weapons explicitly say "If you already have this kind of natural weapon, use whichever damage is higher".

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-14, 05:04 PM
If it's abilities, then it's a little different. If I have two templates, each giving me access to Entangle 1/day as a SLA, then I have two separate instances, effectively giving me the Entangle SLA 2/day. If I have a template that gives Evasion, then take a class level that gives me Evasion, then I gain no benefit (unless I take an ACF).

Natural attacks require a bit more adjudication. Claws and Bites are pretty clearly limited by the number of limbs you have, but Tentacle and Slam attacks are a bit more vague, I think.