PDA

View Full Version : E6 help: How can I trigger a trip attack off a hit with my morningstar?

OldTrees1
2013-09-14, 01:20 PM
I am going to be playing E6. I am curious if there is a way to trigger a trip attack off a hit with my morningstar that would combo with Improved Trip[feat] so I could strike twice and thus trigger Three Mountain [weapon style feat]?

Notes:
Three Mountain[feat] requires me to use a Heavy Mace, Morningstar or Greatclub and to hit twice in a turn.
None of these weapons are specified as trip weapons.
The Knock-down [feat](Sword and Fist) specifically does not work with Improved Trip(its prereq).
I want to combine this with knockback[feat] so I do not want to have to use a second attack to trigger three mountain[feat].

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-14, 01:58 PM
Just don't use Knockback on your first attack, use it on the second one. It states you can make a bull rush attempt, not that you have to. Just choose not to use it on your first attack.

You can take TWF, Improved TWF, and Oversize TWF and get four morningstar attacks per round. If you go Fighter 6 and get the E6 Fighter capstone feat you can get Melee Weapon Mastery in PH2, once for bludgeoning and once for piercing, and get an extra +4 to attack and damage on top of weapon focus/specialization.

OldTrees1
2013-09-14, 02:04 PM
Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) is exactly what you're looking for.

Is there anything better than Knock-down? I ask because Knock-down does not trigger Improved Trip.

Darrin
2013-09-14, 03:26 PM
Is there anything better than Knock-down? I ask because Knock-down does not trigger Improved Trip.

It does if you use the version in the SRD (http://srd.realmspire.com/divineFeats.html#knock-down).

Other than that... hrmmm. Best I can find is maybe Aptitude weapon with one of the [Style] feats.

Maybe Elusive Target?

OldTrees1
2013-09-14, 03:36 PM
Oh. So it was reprinted in Deities and Demigods and they removed that pesky clause from the Sword and Fist printing? :smallsmile:

Nice.

Thanks for the info.

Darrin
2013-09-14, 04:27 PM
Oh. So it was reprinted in Deities and Demigods and they removed that pesky clause from the Sword and Fist printing? :smallsmile:

Not exactly. Deities & Demigods was a 3.0 book published about a year after Sword & Fist. I'm not entirely sure when the S&F came out, probably 2001-2002ish? 3.5 was released in 2003. Sometime after that, the 3.5 SRD was published online in 2004. Somewhere in 2005, near as I can tell, the Divine section was added. The wording is almost identical to the 3.0 version, but the errata from S&F was never included.

We can't tell if this was deliberate or if the editors in charge of the SRD were just unaware of the 3.0 errata. But if you go strictly by RAW and by publishing date, the SRD version supersedes the 3.0 version as well as the errata.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-14, 05:20 PM
In the front of Sword and Fist it says Copyright 2001.
Deities and Demigods was published April 2002.
The Sword and Fist Errata is dated October 2002.

So technically the most current version of the feat should include the errata. It's entirely up to your DM.