PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Fleshing out a thri-kreen barbarian

Shugi
2013-09-14, 01:43 PM
Hello all - long time listener, first time caller.

I'm looking to fill out a thri-kreen holy warrior concept, without going full caster or Perfect Multiweapon Fighting. (I play full casters fairly often, and I'm trying to avoid the obvious cheese.)

Rules-wise, I'm a non-psionic thri-kreen (2 HD, +1 LA), and I'm considering barbarian X/champion of Gwynharwyf - maybe with some CG paladin or Holy Liberator/Pious Templar for flavor. We rolled stats very strangely for this game - my pre-racial ability scores are 14, 17, 14, 14, 20, 17.

Basically, I'm suffering from too-many-options syndrome, and am looking for a bit of advice on feats or what-have-you.

Knight of Stars/Righteous Wrath are required for Champ of Gwyn.

I was looking at Intimidating Rage/Instantaneous Rage/Imperious Command, but doesn't Champ of Gwyn's Fearsome Fury class feature (eventually) make those redundant?

From a guardian standpoint, Combat Reflexes/Hindering Opportunist/Stalwart Defense, or Constant Guardian/Dutiful Guardian, both seem like valid options - but maybe sub-par from an optimization PoV.

Also, I think two-hander + shield + one free hand/claw might not be a bad idea, since I can use the free hand for Deflect Arrows, grappling, spellcasting, etc. (Of course I could take one hand off the polearm to cast.)

For the sake of theory-crafting, any WotC 3.5 book is allowed except for world-specific books (no Eberron, FR, or Dragonlance).

With all that said, does anyone have any thoughts?

mattie_p
2013-09-14, 01:52 PM
Rules-wise, I'm a non-psionic thri-kreen (2 HD, +1 LA) ...

For the sake of theory-crafting, any WotC 3.5 book is allowed except for world-specific books (no Eberron, FR, or Dragonlance).

You do realize this is contradictory, correct? The only non-psionic thri-kreen in 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons is in the Forgotten Realms Shining South book.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-14, 02:11 PM
I would either go Totemist for more arms and grab Rapid Strike to get the most claw attacks ever, or use the savage species rules to get as much strength on a strike as possible.

Shugi
2013-09-14, 02:20 PM
You do realize this is contradictory, correct? The only non-psionic thri-kreen in 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons is in the Forgotten Realms Shining South book.

Indeed it is. The DM doesn't use psionics, which is a small addendum to my earlier statement (non-psionic feats from the XPH are fine).

Vinyl Scratch
2013-09-14, 03:38 PM
Don't they get a bonus to jump checks? Why not go that one feat that allows for jumping charges? (It's in complete warrior, I think...)

Shugi
2013-09-14, 04:28 PM
Don't they get a bonus to jump checks? Why not go that one feat that allows for jumping charges? (It's in complete warrior, I think...)

They get a +30 racial/competence bonus (depending on which version you look at). I was looking at that feat (Leap Attack) and it certainly fits. Not sure if I want to go Lion Totem ACF for pouncing madness or not. I would prefer more options than "I charge again".

Also, has anyone used the Whirling Frenzy ACF in UA? I'm curious about how it works in actual practice...

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-14, 06:01 PM
In my experience, awesomely.

I very much like the flavor of Thri-Keen Totemists, and if you're gonna go Barbarian, Totem Rager is right up that alley. Plus Totemist gives you a lot more options in and out of combat while focusing your build.

geonova
2013-09-14, 08:12 PM

i call foul. you have obviously not read the thri-kreen entry in the MM2, in the thri-kreen as characters section it states that you can play a non-psionic thri-kreen. read it yourself if you don't believe me.