PDA

View Full Version : Planescape: Torment

Zach J.
2013-09-14, 01:50 PM
Who's played it?

I've heard good things about this game so I thought I'd fire it up and give it a try. The plan is to turn the Nameless One into a Mage as soon as possible. Starting abilities will be set at Wis 18, Int 17 and Cha 13 with the physical abilities left at base. Sound good?

Remmirath
2013-09-14, 05:41 PM
It is, indeed, quite a good game.

Playing as a mage with high mental stats is definitely a viable way to go. Generally speaking having a higher intelligence than wisdom is better for playing a mage, but if you're not worried about being the best mage possible then having a higher wisdom is fine and good. I did enjoy my mage playthrough best so far.

Personal preference thing, but I'd probably not dump the physical abilities completely, partly just because I don't like doing that and partly because you might want to use them for some things.

Eldan
2013-09-14, 07:29 PM
I can't really think of any point where you need the physical abilities and wisdom is by far the most important, so go for it.

Guancyto
2013-09-14, 07:33 PM
Wisdom is indeed the best stat because not only does it get you the most XP, it gets you the most of the story. (And that's what you're there for, right?)

Sounds like a good spread.

Eurus
2013-09-14, 09:06 PM
Playing a dumb character can actually be kind of amusing, but wisdom is basically the godstat, story-wise. I think it also boosts XP gained. Charisma and intelligence are also useful in some areas.

It's not a very hard game, honestly. The only part I had issues with was fighting a certain fellow in Curst, as far as I remember. Any mechanical build will do fine.

Zubrowka74
2013-09-14, 10:02 PM
I have good memories of this game. The first to introduce character development via the answers you give in the dialogues.

If I remember correctly you have to go through certain classes in order to finish the game.

Archonic Energy
2013-09-15, 06:29 AM
Who's played it?

I've heard good things about this game so I thought I'd fire it up and give it a try. The plan is to turn the Nameless One into a Mage as soon as possible. Starting abilities will be set at Wis 18, Int 17 and Cha 13 with the physical abilities left at base. Sound good?

as soon as you leave the mortuary find the woman in the hut. i will say no more

Anonymouswizard
2013-09-15, 07:17 AM
Who's played it?

As said before me, find the woman in the hut as soon as you leave the mortuary, before you even try to move the story along. You'll have to do a quest, but it takes all of 5 minutes and mages are the most powerful class from my experience.

As for your abilities, it doesn't matter which way round you put your Int ans Wis, as Wis will give you a slightly deeper story, and Int will make you a slightly better mage, but you will gain extra points when you level so the difference doesn't matter.

Also, don't be surprised if you manage to get to level 12 or 13 with less than 20 combats. The only one I had any trouble with was the first completely unavoidable story combat. It's not a particularly difficult game.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-15, 07:25 AM
I suggest a Charisma of at least 14, as it's required for one of the better abilities. I mean, you can always put a stat point into Charisma when you level up, but...

Dexterity is useful for some dialogue options, but generally mental scores are the way to go.

Johnny Blade
2013-09-15, 10:37 AM
Fair warning, a lot of the spells in this game have really long animations. Some of them started getting on my nerves the first time I saw them, never mind the tenth.

I switched back to Fighter eventually, despite not really having the stats for it.

Eldan
2013-09-16, 04:21 AM
In fact, I'd say this: once you go out of the Mortuary, have a look at everything and talk to everyone. Don't continue the story.

Zubrowka74
2013-09-16, 09:26 AM
Fair warning, a lot of the spells in this game have really long animations. Some of them started getting on my nerves the first time I saw them, never mind the tenth.

I switched back to Fighter eventually, despite not really having the stats for it.

Mechanus Cannon is the coolest, though, along with meteor swarm.

Choyrt
2013-09-16, 10:48 AM
Area of Effect spell casting is the best combat that Planescape has to offer. Also, you can have a great rogue with Annah and a great warrior with Mort and Valor, but the only solid mage is Ignus and.... you may not want him in your party so much.

I always play a mage with charisma and intellect as my focus because, as others have mentioned, it unlocks a lot of the story. You will get a lot more out of your NPCs through deep dialogue delving (your Gith companion is a novel unto himself) and it will help you solve the single largest quest in the game.... the quest to recall your name.

A decade and a half later, this game still stands out. Never have I been taken to such an original place before as with Planescape Torment. Seriously worth your time.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpfufdxjH61qhn466o1_400.jpg

Calemyr
2013-09-16, 12:37 PM
You'll almost certainly want good constitution if you're going to train under Ignis as a mage, though, as all of his lessons permanently decrease your HP. Sure, death is pretty much a slap on the wrist for the Nameless One, but it does tend to be pain.

If you're going to be a mage, Mort is a godsend. He's an excellent tank, and his Litany of Curses ability let's him draw aggro very well. Vhailor may be a better tank, but he's also very dangerous plot-wise. Like Ignis, it's very easy to run afoul of him, even after recruiting him. I tend to leave him out to make room for Nordom, who is just too much fun to have.

Morty
2013-09-16, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't entirely discount playing a Fighter. To me, at least, it's very entertaining to play a TNO who can hold an intellectual conversation and hack through a pack of devils using an axe with equal ease.

Choyrt
2013-09-16, 01:56 PM
If you're going to be a mage, Mort is a godsend. He's an excellent tank, and his Litany of Curses ability let's him draw aggro very well. Vhailor may be a better tank, but he's also very dangerous plot-wise. Like Ignis, it's very easy to run afoul of him, even after recruiting him. I tend to leave him out to make room for Nordom, who is just too much fun to have.

All of this is spot on. And I can't believe I forgot how to spell Vhailor's name. Conversations with him get kinda scary.

Choyrt
2013-09-16, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't entirely discount playing a Fighter. To me, at least, it's very entertaining to play a TNO who can hold an intellectual conversation and hack through a pack of devils using an axe with equal ease.

What is that crazy ax called? 'Heartgrinder?' It does electrical damage directly to the heart when it strikes.

Also, warriors can use a club that is your own petrified arm from a long lost incarnation of you... yeah...

Avilan the Grey
2013-09-16, 02:32 PM
Haven't played it for ages. Loved it!
The graphics has not aged well, of course.

Johnny Blade
2013-09-16, 03:44 PM
Mechanus Cannon is the coolest, though, along with meteor swarm.
A lot of the spells look cool, yeah.

And, really, if long, flashy animations don't tend to annoy you, playing a mage should be fine, I just wanted to give a heads-up because I didn't enjoy the class in PS:T for that reason.

Luckily, you don't really need arcane magic.

And it would, after all, only be fitting for the Nameless One to be a true renaissance man.

Last but not least:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpfufdxjH61qhn466o1_400.jpg
This is adorable.

Zach J.
2013-09-16, 03:53 PM
So the characters in the game often walk backwards. It's not a big issue, but it's kind of off putting when I'm trying to immerse myself in the story. Is there a way to fix this?

Pseudo_Nym
2013-09-16, 04:07 PM
So the characters in the game often walk backwards. It's not a big issue, but it's kind of off putting when I'm trying to immerse myself in the story. Is there a way to fix this?

Don't particularly remember that, myself, though I do recall them walking into walls a lot. Have you considered patching (http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide) the game at all? It's rather buggy if you don't.

And I know it's a bit late to comment on your starting stats, but there's a 1st level spell that boosts charisma. Temporarily, but considerably, and it can see you through all the times it comes up, if you'd like to boost Con or Dex more.

Choyrt
2013-09-16, 04:35 PM
Ah, thanks for mentioning the backward walking thing:

Do EVERYTHING you are willing to on this thread here to bring the game up to date. Widescreen resolution, scaled UI, a number of things... (http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide)

Zach J.
2013-09-16, 04:46 PM
Wow, this looks like exactly what I need. Since I'll need to start a new game how should I adjust my stats? I know I'd like a high (18) wisdom and intelligence to help my mage skills and unlock more dialogue options. Should I put my remaining points into Charisma or Constitution?

Pseudo_Nym
2013-09-16, 04:49 PM
Wow, this looks like exactly what I need. Since I'll need to start a new game how should I adjust my stats? I know I'd like a high (18) wisdom and intelligence to help my mage skills and unlock more dialogue options. Should I put my remaining points into Charisma or Constitution?

I linked to the same thing... and for the reason I mentioned above, I'd recommend Constitution.

Aotrs Commander
2013-09-16, 06:30 PM
Still, I think, the best RPG. Others have come close, but nothing since has ever quite managed Torment's perfect storm (I hold hope that project Eternity and Tides of Numenara might come close).

I once played through in what I called the Nameless Nutter: primarily fighter, and I squeezed every last drop of XP I could out of the game: mostly soloing, getting a character in the party, doing their dialogue bits, booting them out again, taking rogue and mage just enough to pump it for XP...

I finished the game at level 60(!), with 25 in every state except charisma (which was 23), and average of Neutral alignment, and combined with those tattoos which increase your regen and m 570 ish hitpoints (this is 570, remember in AD&D, where that was kind of a bigger deal than even 3.x!), I had to stop and wait for five minutes after every combat for the "Heal 1"s to stop scrolling up the screen. (I stood there, letting the final boss hit me for a bit, but I was regening so fast he actually couldn't kill me. It was hilarious!)

Ending spoiler
In the end, when the Nameless Nutter went to the Blood War, I just shook my head and said "right. That's it. Blood War's over, considering only the time it's gonna take Nameless Nutter to cheerfully kill everything on both sides, seeing as they can't kill him fast enough...!"

Priceless.

BladeofObliviom
2013-09-16, 08:43 PM
Level 60. Jeez, by that point you're practically a deity yourself!

And that would be BEFORE the Nameless One
regains the memories and powers of all of his past lives!

Anyway, yeah. This game is pretty awesome. Really, the only other DnD game I've found that could even hold a candle to it storywise is the excellent Mask of the Betrayer expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2.

Eldan
2013-09-17, 03:28 AM
60. Damn. I thought my level 27 mage who soloed a lot was impressive.

Sharoth
2013-09-17, 07:34 AM
If I can get my computer up and running, then I will have to play Planescape again.

Wookieetank
2013-09-17, 09:02 AM
...blah blah blah...
Level 60
...blah blah blah...

:smalleek: Wow, just wow. Next time I get around to this game I have a new personal goal.

Choyrt
2013-09-17, 09:48 AM
I never got THAT high, but I suspect a lot of grinding in undersigil is involved. Those slugs with faces are, what.... 12K xp each or something? And they respawn each day.

Aotrs Commander
2013-09-17, 10:00 AM
I dug out the save file (yes, I do keep lots of old game saves for posterity...!)

I was remembering incorrectly. I wasn't level 60 with 500-odd hit points.

I was level 64 (fighter) with 743 hit points:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/AotrsCommander/Nutterscreen_zps783a1143.png

Ah, good times, good times. Best "evil" playthrough ever. (I say in inverted commas, since I was playing utterly ruthlessly, but did whatever gave me most XP, so I ended out neutral, to my great amusement.)

60. Damn. I thought my level 27 mage who soloed a lot was impressive.

I managed level 28 with my mage on my last regular playthrough...! (And with only a little bit of effort grinding in Carceri.)

I never got THAT high, but I suspect a lot of grinding in undersigil is involved. Those slugs with faces are, what.... 12K xp each or something? And they respawn each day.

A bit, probably, but if the was any done, it'd more likely to be late game in Carceri where there's even faster respawn. And not too much either: my last proper game ended 55 days in, that one ended 25 days in...! (Assuming that's an accurate count.)

That said, don't under estimate the amount of XP you can get by soloing the entire game (because remember, Torment still ran on splitting XP between party members). I literally solo'd the entire game, only having companions in my party long enough to do the talks that got you XP, and then booted them out again. (If you think about it that way, you can get 3-6x the XP of having a party).

And also, once you hit whatever level, every level of fighter is only 250K XP: it doesn't get any higher.

I love Torment.

Choyrt
2013-09-17, 11:03 AM
A fighter or even a rogue could pull off soloing the game, but no way could I as a mage. You'd just run dry of spells, and a dinky dagger won't cut it. I tended to be a glass cannon.

But that xp is MADNESS. If I hadn't switched to Pathfinder, my DnD character would be worshiping yours.

Aotrs Commander
2013-09-17, 11:20 AM
A fighter or even a rogue could pull off soloing the game, but no way could I as a mage. You'd just run dry of spells, and a dinky dagger won't cut it. I tended to be a glass cannon.

Well, even when I did mage, I did do the first eight to nine levels as fighter to grab the D10 HD: like goes a long way to keeping your hit point total up. But in the end, it's the Con that does it (I think I was gaining something like 11 hit points a level, even past the point you only got about 3 from Fighter.)

But that xp is MADNESS. If I hadn't switched to Pathfinder, my DnD character would be worshiping yours.

I know, right?

Like I said: Blood War = screwed.

Choyrt
2013-09-17, 01:56 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/25q7u69.jpg

BladeofObliviom
2013-09-17, 02:01 PM
I see somebody's been having fun with Photoshop. :smalltongue:

Aotrs Commander
2013-09-17, 02:20 PM
*unadulterated pure awesome*

Pahahahahahahaha!

Sweet!

Beacon of Chaos
2013-09-17, 02:35 PM
*wanders in* Hey guys, what's going on in this thr-

God of Blood War

http://t.qkme.me/3oin0m.jpg

Choyrt
2013-09-17, 03:16 PM
I take zero credit for this gift that the internet has bestowed upon us!

Wookieetank
2013-09-18, 08:38 AM
I take zero credit for this gift that the internet has bestowed upon us!

You at least found it when none of the rest of us knew about it, so kudos for that much at least. :smallsmile: