PDA

View Full Version : Oddly Enough

Loingo
2006-12-24, 01:09 PM
Everyone knows min/maxing and uber chars can be fun now and again. However my question is what is the absolute strangest character race/class combination you have ever played.

Loingo

Scathach
2006-12-24, 01:13 PM
Half fiend, half-celestial, half dopple-ganger elf bard.

Ah, the joys of asking a DM to approve a character while he is too drunk to walk or do the math involved with level adjustments.

He was fun to RP for his brief span of existance. The DM wound up swiping him as an NPC for another group.

Saph
2006-12-24, 01:20 PM
I played a character called Kesiliss once, who was a Galidyn - an obscure Star Wars race that looks like a kind of snake-bird-dragon thing with a long snout. This was before I'd learned that min-maxing was a bad idea, so I made Kesiliss' Strength score so high that he was almost immune to character-scale weapons. He could take heavy blaster shots and ignore them, and could kill pretty much any humanoid with his teeth. On several occasions, he saved a PC or crucial NPC from dying by covering them and soaking up the blaster fire.

The GM eventually blew him up with an assault starship. He sent the ship right down through the atmosphere of the planet we were on and chased Kesiliss around the city, trashing most of the buildings in the process. He finally got every gunner on the starship to Force Point their attack rolls to make sure they got him.

This was the point at which I learnt that overpowered characters are not a good idea.

- Saph

Ambrogino
2006-12-24, 01:27 PM
An alcoholic sentient amoeba. Tales from the Floating Vagabond was a strange game.

D'Artagnan
2006-12-24, 07:39 PM
Myself. Starting with levels in Player, later multiclassing to Rules Lawyer. I could use all sorts of cool abilities, like 'Fudge Dice Roll' and 'Argue False Point.' That was an amazing game.

Dhavaer
2006-12-24, 10:51 PM
Elf Rogue/Fighter/Wizard. Not really strange, but would have ended up with far too many classes if the game had kept going.

Necomancer
2006-12-24, 10:58 PM
I'm still trying to play my gnoll ranger/rogue who duel wields hand crossbows...Sadly I have yet too.

Ashheart
2007-01-22, 06:07 AM
I make a point of playing strange characters.
To name but a few (with some of them still in ongoing campains):
A male Gnome Sorcerer/Fleshgrafter/Thaumathurgist who was in turn reincarnated as a silver dragon by means of a wish spell,

A female human Cleric of Vecna who had a split personality (which was in turn a warlock/ninja/assasin). This girl ended each night with a full moon as her assasin counterpart and was eventually killed by her party members as a means of "setting free her spirit".

A male Karsite Binder/Soulknife (see discussion thread elsewhere on this forum) who pretended to be an Eldrichten Knight to lead his church going assailents on red harings when they looked for him.

I think it may be a challenge to see who on this forum has played the most "standerd" character instead as may of us are experienced players.....

Malachite
2007-01-22, 07:52 AM
My favourite character yet is/was standard dwarf fighter with waraxe and shield, later going into Dwarven Defender. If that isn't generic, I don't know what is.

My oddest? Probably would have been the pixie cleric, had it not been for a) losing internet access and dropping out of the game and b) realising you can't start with a pixie at level 1 and just gain experience slower (I was new ;D).

Khantalas
2007-01-22, 08:23 AM
Elf Rogue/Fighter/Wizard. Not really strange, but would have ended up with far too many classes if the game had kept going.

In AD&D, that would have worked. Wasn't it a multiclass combination for elves or half-elves?

MrNexx
2007-01-22, 09:18 AM
In AD&D, that would have worked. Wasn't it a multiclass combination for elves or half-elves?

Yes; Fighter/Mage/Thief and Fighter/Mage/Cleric were both valid multi-classes for the point-ears in 2nd edition.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-22, 11:08 AM
Once I was bored, so I rolled up the stats for a tree. I was a sentient tree- I had a permanent homebrew spell that made me sentient. I couldn't move though, but my DM gave me eschew materials, silent spell and still spell for free. Yup. I was a tree-wizard. I used ghost sound to speak- I could see and hear as part of the homebrew spell.

silentknight
2007-01-22, 02:19 PM
Doesn't the spell Awaken do the same thing?
And Ghost Sound does not produce understandable speech.

But overall, that is a strange character.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-22, 02:25 PM

The Awaken spell lets you talk and move your limbs. He only wanted to sit there, I presume.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-22, 02:28 PM
My favourite character ever? Well, probably my long-running 2E fighter Eardwulf MacHengest. Pure fighter, not that tweaked but awesome to play and mean in a scrap.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-22, 02:30 PM
A Rogue 1/Spellthief 1/Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Ninja 1/Swordsage 1/Assassin 1/Poisoner 1/Mole 1/Ronin 1/Invisible Blade 1/Opressor 1/Replacement Killer 1/Shadow Thief of Amn 1/Zhentarim Spy 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=325000&postcount=1), for 15d6 sneak attack at level 14.

MrNexx
2007-01-22, 03:52 PM
And Ghost Sound does not produce understandable speech.

But overall, that is a strange character.

The volume of sound created depends on your level. You can produce as much noise as four normal humans per caster level (maximum twenty humans). Thus, talking, singing, shouting, walking, marching, or running sounds can be created.

Yes, it can.

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-22, 03:59 PM
A phrenic half-celestial kobold paladin 2

Rigeld2
2007-01-22, 05:15 PM
Kesiliss' Strength score so high that he was almost immune to character-scale weapons.

Was this WEG Star Wars? Even in that, I cant think of a way to do that... and Speeder scale (or whatever that scale was called) wouldve destroyed you. And d20 Star Wars has no such mechanic.

edit: on-topic - A Warforged Frenzied Berserker. I normally only play humans (I'm a feataholic) and often play fighters (even though I argue very strongly that theyre underpowered) so this one was kind of out of left field according to the rest of my group.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-22, 05:23 PM
I played a tiefling homebrew warlock. He was awesome. In one round, at second level, he dealt 1d10 + 34d6 anti-matter damage (no save, no sr) to a single opponent. Makes the blaster caster not so weak when you can pwn pretty much anything inside a city.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 05:25 PM
A Shan in d20 Call of Cthulhu. I used a ranged weapon and had a Dex of 30. Also, I was incorporeal and could possess people. I eventually got killed by a Chosen of Hastur who wanted my candy, though.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-22, 05:30 PM
I also had a human cleric who died and was placed on a random altar in a random dungeon (it sounded like a good idea at the time). She became an unspecified spirit being. I then was able to use her to possess random npcs to add whatever character class I needed, plus she retained all of her spell-casting abilities, since they were mental and not physical. She ended up possessing a drow priestess before we took on the bbeg (who was using the drow as minions). We all died, but Faith was awesome!

EDIT: Huzzah! Barbarian!

Rigeld2
2007-01-22, 05:37 PM
I played a tiefling homebrew warlock. He was awesome. In one round, at second level, he dealt 1d10 + 34d6 anti-matter damage (no save, no sr) to a single opponent. Makes the blaster caster not so weak when you can pwn pretty much anything inside a city.
I bolded the important word there. That makes the arguement not so strong when its based off of something that probably isnt remotely balanced. :)

broderickdruce
2007-01-22, 05:47 PM
So many;
1)Human Barbarian/Wizard.
2)Githyanki Barbarian/Beastmaster with a roc (and 2 more that just followed me around) for companion and a few swarms of TRAINED birds.
3)Githzerai Monk/Sorcerer/Cleric/Mystic Theurge. (Still Playing)
4)Half-Dragon/Half-Ogre Barbarian weilding a Huge greataxe.
5)Shifter Druidic Avenger/Moonspeaker with 100'+ of movement.
6)Kender Rogue/Bard (Need I say more?)
7)Half-Red Dragon Troll Barbarian... with a ring of acid resistance.

Most (and perhaps only) normal Character;
Kalashtar Psion:Kineticist/Thrallherd ... Except that my DM gave me a puppeteer worm as my Thrall, as well as an Ogre ranger (This made me die a little on the inside, and laugh a lot on the outside). The worm is technically on the ranger, though if I remove it the ranger still does what I tell him.

Wrane
2007-01-22, 05:54 PM
I played a half elf Druid in 3.0 ...

Varion
2007-01-22, 05:55 PM
Well, I've created a dryad subspecies and gave her a specialty class similar to shadow dancer. It required multiclassing rogue and fighter. Then I made her the master of attacks of oportunity using some older rules. She's unbalanced though.

I've also created a hobgoblin ranger w/ an abysmal Wisdom score and a double bladed sword.

Um, Gnoll barbarian, nothing wierd there I guess.

Right now, I have aspirations of creating a speed demon who'd break the speed of sound at level 25 running, but I'm not sure what stacks for speed boosts and I dont' know what the fastest base race would be. I'm thinking a kobold at the moment, just for kicks and giggles, since then it'd be about 2 feet tall and could scream 'andale andale' as he went past.

Azrael
2007-01-22, 06:16 PM
This cute little Kobold Master of Many Forms...

...and probabilty reaches 1.

Woot Spitum
2007-01-22, 06:26 PM
Right now, I have aspirations of creating a speed demon who'd break the speed of sound at level 25 running, but I'm not sure what stacks for speed boosts and I dont' know what the fastest base race would be. I'm thinking a kobold at the moment, just for kicks and giggles, since then it'd be about 2 feet tall and could scream 'andale andale' as he went past.

Monk has fast movement that continues to increase even into epic levels, but as far as race goes though, bigger is usually better in the speed department. Unfortunately there isn't much variation in base speed to be found.

The_Snark
2007-01-22, 06:29 PM
I've had some strange ones. The anthropomorphic sperm whale paladin was among the best, though. It was only with a great effort of will that I restrained myself from making his name Richard Mobius.

I also played a pixie knight once on these boards. That was fun.

Rei_Jin
2007-01-22, 06:40 PM
The fastest PC? A level 20 Zeph Monk with the following feats

Speed of Thought (+10ft to speed)
Dash (+5ft to speed)
Xeph Burst, Extra (Taken Multiple Times, adds +30ft to speed for 1 round per use)

Your base land speed (without items) would be 105ft/round, the Xeph burst adds another 30ft to that speed with each use, each lasting 1 round.

Then you add some Boots of Springing and Striding. 115ft/round, with a burst for 145ft/round 11 times a day. So, in 66 seconds you could cover 6,960ft, or a little over 2.1 kilometres. That's with you sprinting, of course.

Now, if your DM will allow you to combine items, you MIGHT be able to combine those with Boots of Haste, adding another 30ft to your speed for 10 rounds a day, boosting that up to 175ft/round for 10 rounds, an 11th round at 145ft/round, and the rest at a measily 115ft/round. End Result? In exactly 60 seconds, you could run 7,000ft, again a little over 2.1 kilometres, but this time you'd be 6 seconds faster.

Dragons are faster, but they have a lot more hitdie, and are dragons. Nuff said

Orzel
2007-01-22, 06:43 PM
a halfelf bard/barbarian/AA with Perform (rapping) named Brookl'n
a monkey rogue named Abu
a fireball

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 08:06 PM
I've had some strange ones. The anthropomorphic sperm whale paladin was among the best, though. It was only with a great effort of will that I restrained myself from making his name Richard Mobius.

Was there a petunia inside you?

Saph
2007-01-22, 08:19 PM

Was this WEG Star Wars? Even in that, I cant think of a way to do that... and Speeder scale (or whatever that scale was called) wouldve destroyed you. And d20 Star Wars has no such mechanic.

It was WEG Star Wars. 7D dodge, 6D Strength, +1D natural armour. 'Normal' character scale weapons only do 4D-5D damage, so with character points, the chances of me both being hit and then being injured were incredibly low. As for attacks, I had 8D in brawling and did 8D damage with my teeth.

Like I said, this was before I learnt that min/maxing was a bad idea . . .

- Saph

Roderick_BR
2007-01-22, 08:31 PM
A kobold fighter. That was the more intelligent character of the group...
To this day, he thinks he killed a lion with one hit of his short sword (he didn't see the rest of the part using javelins and arrows on it)

The_Snark
2007-01-22, 08:45 PM
Was there a petunia inside you?

Not to my knowledge. But the campaign was a comic one, naturally, so you never know...

He was an albino, if it helps with the Richard Mobius reference.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 08:55 PM
Not to my knowledge. But the campaign was a comic one, naturally, so you never know...

He was an albino, if it helps with the Richard Mobius reference.

Oh yes, I got your reference, and then made one of my own. And I would hope it was a comic one.

I ended a campaign once by turning all the players into various potted plants. I wrote up a table of random potted plants just for the purpose.

Missing Shoe
2007-01-22, 08:59 PM
I wish I could take credit for this, but I did play with this character as a fellow party member. A friend of mine had a bipolar extremely old wizard (the highest age category you can go for human), who joined the party because we found him in a broom closet.

Randomly and during stressful situations he had to roll a d% to see if he switched to his alternate personality - in which he thought he was an epic fighter. He still had the stats of an old man wizard, but he thought he could beat us all in sword fighting. It was fun for the short time it lasted.

TheOOB
2007-01-22, 09:04 PM
In a gestalt campagin I played a werefox monk/drunken master/fighter/cleric/bard

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-22, 09:08 PM
The most powerful character I've ever made was an intermediate diety of fiends. However, the strongest character I've played was actually a warlock. He takes things out fast and smoothly.

TheOOB
2007-01-22, 09:11 PM
However, the strongest character I've played was actually a warlock. He takes things out fast and smoothly.

Thats not a statement I expected to hear.

The_Snark
2007-01-22, 09:15 PM
Oh yes, I got your reference, and then made one of my own. And I would hope it was a comic one.

I ended a campaign once by turning all the players into various potted plants. I wrote up a table of random potted plants just for the purpose.

It was. Perhaps had the campaign gone on a while longer, we would have gotten a quest to save his long-lost brother, who he had never seen...

It would have been an interesting surprise.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-22, 09:26 PM
Thats not a statement I expected to hear.
It never is.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-23, 10:31 AM
I bolded the important word there. That makes the arguement not so strong when its based off of something that probably isnt remotely balanced. :)

Well, it was balanced when that was all of the magical attacking that I could do for the week, plus I lost 2 CON points permanently. We happened to chance upon two of the major BBEG's powerful henchmen who was in the process of kidnapping an uber powerful psychic, one teleported away with her, the other (not being a caster) was stuck and felt my wrath. Mind you, this is also in a 1.x game, so "warlock" hadn't been invented yet and stats don't bump with level.

Wolf53226
2007-01-23, 11:45 AM
Going back to the WEG Star Wars conversation.

Race: Wookie
Base Strength: 6D6
Rampaging: 8D6
Add the doubling of a force point: 16D6 which after the math is close to the damage the Death Star could dish out.

Which means that a rampaging wookie with a force point "COULD" take a shot from the Death Star and shrug it off. Which has lead to such statements like: "If only Alderaan had the wookie defense screen."

Darrin
2007-01-23, 11:59 AM
The fastest PC? A level 20 Zeph Monk with the following feats

Speed of Thought (+10ft to speed)
Dash (+5ft to speed)
Xeph Burst, Extra (Taken Multiple Times, adds +30ft to speed for 1 round per use)

In Star Wars d20, an 11th level Jedi can break the sound barrier (about 6600 ft/round or 2160 m/round) with about three feats.

Varion
2007-01-23, 12:05 PM
There's an old feat called cheetah speed for druids that I consider crucial to the build. It allows you to multiply your speed by 10 for 10 rounds. That is how you get to breaking the sound barriar, or in other words, going about 6000 ft in a round. I will now refrain from future off topic posting though.

Oh, can I stick in some of the stuff I've helped friends make?

A Barbarian Hound archon, an elven barbarian/wizard, my lizardman assassin and my kobold psi-warrior.

Muffin_Man
2007-01-23, 12:21 PM
For GURPS a kobold that thought he was a samurai of a great kingdom, and that the rest of the party were his servants.

From my group: a jedi tree, a crow wizard (that had a crow familiar), a dwarf fighter that had no armor becouse he was too fat (no build for that), a fire genasi prostitute (that had a son with a minotaur), a bellsprout (the pokemon) and a druid with low wis (he couldn't cast spells) and high str (the first party of my first group).

kensai
2007-01-23, 12:31 PM
In a Survivor style D&D campaign (PBEM) it was fun to try a character that was designed to be essentially a non-combatant. No armor or weaponry to speak of. Ch'rri was a high level chaotic evil lust priestess whose magic items were mostly potions, since those were affordable. The only permanent item of real power was a Ring of Diabolical Deceit; it reversed the effects of incoming alignment detection magics, and allowed any lies the character would speak register as true against lower-level magical means of truth detection.

Her major accomplishments involved surviving an attack from the deadliest PC in the game by 'surrendering'; apparently the NPC she was hanging around with looked more like a competitor than Ch'rri. At another time, she manipulated a paladin and an anti-paladin to be her protectors at the same time. Keeping them from attacking each other required quite a bit of effort.

Ch'rri was lovely to play. An all-out roleplaying character consisting almost exclusively of social stats in a campaign where most minmaxed as best they could. She eventually ended up outliving the competition, despite both GMs asking whether I really wanted to play a character who 'didn't stand a chance'. ^_^

illyrus
2007-01-23, 02:03 PM
Most of my characters are base class base race characters, I've taken a PrC once time over scores of games so I tend to play fairly vanilla character race/classes. So the oddest one for me probably isn't that odd:

A female changling vermin druid that grew up in a gnoll village and had the ethics of a gnoll. She was a cannibal that hung around with bugs and appeared as the people she had killed. She believed herself the prophet and priestess of a monsterous and intelligent termite queen and was attempting to help the queen ascend.