PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 at Hogwarts IC

asdflove
2013-09-14, 03:51 PM
You're on the busy platform 9 3/4. Parents everywhere are wishing their kids goodbye, and many friends are happily seeing each other for the first time since last year. The scarlet train sets billowing out smoke cheerily and inviting you aboard. This is your first year here.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-14, 04:42 PM
Bartholomew Erikson stands beside his trunks of various books, clothing and school supplies. They are all neatly packed, courtesy of his mother; and half of one trunk is filled with home-made food with preserving charms cast on them, courtesy of his father. He is saying goodbye to his parents; or at least, he would if his father were not hoisting him into the air while crushing him to his chest.

My boy, off to Hogwarts for his first year! Roger Erikson cries, tears shining in his eyes. I'll miss ya, boy!

Bartholomew attempts to simultaneously push his father away while hugging him back. Da, I'm gonna miss you too, but I can't do that if you keep choking me! he groans out. Roger drops him lightly to the ground and the boy brushes himself off, brushing some strands of dark red hair out of his eyes.

My love, you're embarrassing Barty, Bartholomew's mother, Christine, says. She smiles beatifically as she kisses her son's cheek. Enjoy yourself, honey. Make many friends, and don't neglect your studies.

Bartholomew smiles at his parents and nods. Of course not, ma. I'm gonna be a top Auror someday, and I can't do that by slacking off!

Roger laughs, his voice booming as he claps Bartholomew on the back. That's m'boy! Now let's get your luggage in the train before it goes off without you.

Bartholomew grins and grabs the cage with Cu, his brown barn owl, and one of his sacks. His burly father grabs a trunk and hauls it into the train. They manage to find an empty room, and they settle his belongings into the upper shelves.

We'll send you an owl soon, Barty, Christine says, hugging the boy.

Don't get into too much trouble in your first week, Tholo, Roger says, giving his son another bone-crushing hug. Bartholomew returns the hug this time, and waves happily as the two walk away.

He sits down on a bench and sighs, pulling out his wand and observing it idly. It was 10" even, oak with a core of dragon heartstrings. Firm and smooth, the wandmaker had told him that it had no real strengths or weaknesses with one school of magic or the other. He shrugs and slips it back into his pocket and strokes Cu's neck, waiting for the Express to begin to move.

Hamste
2013-09-14, 08:34 PM
Pyrom walked through the station looking around. His parents were busy again and so he had to find the platform by himself. He checked to make sure he had everything again before entering the platform. He promptly whacked his face off the wall. He checked the piece of paper again and frowned. He had walked into the wrong platform. It was 9 and 3/4ths not 8 and 2/5ths. He looked around embarrassed before walking to the right platform. Hopefully, that wouldn’t be a show of how school went this year. He wondered briefly what his new life would be like at the school and what fun was to be had before he got caught up in the hustle and bustle of others tearful goodbyes and farewells.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-14, 11:58 PM
Nevile gave his father a goodbye salute before walking onto the platform.

The caged snowy owl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Owl) he was carrying fussed slightly.

Shh, Scipio. It'll be alright, girl. He reached into his pack to retrieve a bit of jerky to treat her and she calmed.

Besides his owl cage, he had only his pack, his wand, and worn clothes obviously on his person.

Setting his jaw, he boarded the train.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-16, 09:55 PM
Bartholomew drums his fingers, beginning to get antsy. The train had yet to depart, and he was feeling his nerves wear thin. He gets up and opens the door to his room, deciding that he needs to stretch his legs. In doing so, he almost runs into a boy just under his own height.

The boy is thin as a wafer; Bartholomew's mom would take him in on principle alone. He has brown hair and is generally nondescript, save for what he carries and the look on his face: determined.

Sorry bout that, he says. He notes that the boy is carrying only a snow owl and a pack on his back, and grins. Would you like to join me? There's plenty of room, especially seeing as you're traveling light.

He backs up to give the other boy some space and puts out his hand. Bartholomew Erikson, son of Roger Erikson of the Ministry's Auror Department. What's your name?

Chilingsworth
2013-09-16, 10:14 PM
As Nevile exits his room, he is startled by the near impact with this other boy.

Oh, my pardon!

He considers.

Sure. I'm Nevile, Nevile Darian.

and accepts the boy's proffered hand in a firm handshake.

He follows the other child to his room.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-16, 10:28 PM
Bartholomew grins and closes the door behind Nevile.

I think there's a professor at the school with taht name, he thinks out loud as he sits down. So how're you feeling about Hogwarts, Nevile? Excited? Nervous? Bit of both? I know I am. He chuckles, leaning back in the seat.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-16, 10:33 PM
Oh yes. Definitely both. Things are so... different... here. Nothing like we have in the States!

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-16, 10:51 PM
Bartholomew raises his brows in surprise. You're from the United States, then? he asks for clarification. Welcome to the isle, then. My family's from Ireland, but I was born and raised here. What's it like in the States? How do they treat magic there?

Don't worry if I don't reply until hours later after this; I desperately need to do schoolwork that I've been putting off :smallsigh:

Chilingsworth
2013-09-16, 11:10 PM
Nevile nods

Yeah. What it like... hmm... Well, it's pleasant enough, I suppose. But we don't have as robust a magical community as you have here. Then again, we can pretty much hide in plain sight. The muggles there are pretty much oblivious. I mean, even if they did catch us at something, they'd just assume we're harmless wiccans, or something.

Hells, one of our wand makers even makes some cash on the side selling core-less wands to gullible muggles on the internet. And sometimes, mildly magical artifacts show up on television. That's not a problem, though. Muggles can't activate them. Plus, the folks we send to retrieve them fit right in with the oddballs that show up at the places that sell them.

No worries bud.

Oh, and wand seller (http://www.etsy.com/listing/12267813/lilac-wood-magic-wand-pagan-wicca-fairy) (Incidentally, I chose my wand materials before finding that site.) and example of one of the TV shows in question (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oddities_(TV_series))

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-17, 03:19 PM
Bartholomew chuckles. Ah, that sounds funny. I don't know how you'd be able to keep your laughter in if you watched that show.

He looks to the snow owl on the other boy's shoulder. What's your owl's name? Mine's Cu; short for Cu Chulainn, one of the coolest figures in Irish mythology. He's gonna be the fiercest owl in the owlrey.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-17, 05:00 PM
Stroking his owl through the cage,

Her name's Scipio. After one of my favorite muggle historical figures. And yes, that show is commonly watched for its comedic value among our kind in the States.

MandibleBones
2013-09-18, 10:55 PM
The compartment door opens, and another little first-year, stocky but not really fat, sticks his head in. "Mind if I join you?" he asks, the trace of a Scots burr in his voice. "No, seriously, there's a fourth-year Gryffindor shaking first-years down for trolley money in the corridors, and everywhere else is full."

He doesn't wait for an answer, just looks over his shoulder and with a muttered "Oh, bugger," he's in the compartment sliding the door closed before something big and vaguely red-and-gold colored stomps past.

"Lachlan," he says, tossing a messenger bag under the seat and — far more gently — putting a cage full of a rather put out tawny owl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Strix_aluco.jpg) on the compartment floor. "Lachlan MacMillan Sinclair. And this here's The Bruce," he adds, gesturing to his owl.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-18, 11:56 PM
Bartholomew opens his arms. Welcome to our humble abode, Lachlan, he says. And that's terrible; I've half a mind to talk to that guy and set him straight. The nerve of some people.

He shakes his head. He looks around and chuckles slightly. Seems as though we have the same taste in pets. Bloody useful, owls, even with the new technology these days.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-19, 01:14 AM
Ah, welcome Lachan. Nevile Darian. *offering a hand*

And this is Scipio.

Technology? I thought Hogwarts was essentially a tech-free zone. If I had known there would be internet and cell coverage, I'd have brought my smartphone and laptop.

But Scipio chose me, not the other way around. I found her injured on a trip to Prince Edward Island last summer. I nursed her back to health and tried to release her. But, the stubborn girl refused to leave! Isn't that right, Skip?

Whoo!

the owl makes a look as if to say "who, me?"

MandibleBones
2013-09-19, 08:41 AM
"Hi Nevile, wotcher other person," Lachlan says. "I was lucky enough to find The Bruce in a pet shop in Side Way, up in Edinburgh." The owl coos, still a bit annoyed to be stuck in a cage. "'Swhere I got my wand, too," he says, showing off an eleven inch piece of hawthorne. "Hawthorne and veela hair. What about you two?"

Chilingsworth
2013-09-19, 01:00 PM
Nevile pulls out a wand with a slightly purplish grain (http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5305888/il_570xN.61846681.jpg).

Twelve and a half inches of New Hampshire lilac and Mexican dragon sinew.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-19, 01:02 PM
Bartholomew takes out his own wand again. Oak and dragon heartstrings in mine; one of the staples, my da said.

And Hogwarts doesn't allow technology, as far as I know; what I meant was that even with instant-messages and email, a good letter by mail-owl can never go amiss. Plus they're just awesome, and hunt for themselves; I've only had to feed Cu a handful of times.

Asdflove, did you ever give a verdict of whether newfangled electronics work in 2013!Hogwarts? I think someone asked but I don't remember if you responded.

asdflove
2013-09-19, 05:49 PM
A bell rings shrilly 11 times, signaling 11 o'clock, and the train leaves the station.

Hamste
2013-09-19, 06:09 PM
Pyrom stuck his head into the cart and smiled. Excuse me, would it be ok if I sat with you guys? He said as he looked in. None of them seemed that strong so they were probably good people to hang with. At least they most likely wouldn't try to have a fist fight with him. He already felt the train moving and he wanted to get in before others felt comfortable leaving their own rooms.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-19, 09:29 PM
Nevile

Sure, welcome!

I'm Nevile, and these are Bartholomew and Lachan.

MandibleBones
2013-09-20, 10:32 AM
"Come on in; close the door before the Gryffindor comes back," Lachlan says. "I don't suppose you have an owl too? That would make the whole set. These are The Bruce, Scipio, and Cu," he adds, introducing the owls.

"We're discussing wands. And probably houses, because if we aren't, we should be. Anyone else know where they want to go yet? My mum and uncle were both 'Puffs, but..." he trails off. "I'm not much into the hard work, you know? I'd rather be reading."

Chilingsworth
2013-09-20, 05:45 PM
Houses?

*Nevile pauses for thought*

Ah yes, a bit different from how things are done in the States, that. Part of the reason I'm here. You know, to broaden my horizons and such.

hmm...

Well, I don't know that I care overly much. I'm just here to learn as much as I can. I already have some familiarity with American wandless magic forms. So, I want to learn how folks in the Mother Country do things. I suppose that might make me well suited to... Ravenclaw?

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-21, 12:42 AM
Bartholomew says without hesitation, I'd like to get into Gryffindor. That's where Harry Potter went, that's where I wanna go.

He shrugs. But who knows? I like studying; I'm gonna be a top Auror, so I need to be good at more than a few subjects. I've already read a few of my textbooks, so maybe Ravenclaw as well? But nothing's gonna stop me from becoming an Auror like my da; I'll be the best in the country. So... he hesitates. His father always told him that no house is worse than another, but a child's mind is a fickle thing.

Maybe...Slytherin? But I'd rather it not be that, he finishes, sticking his tongue out at the thought.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-21, 12:51 AM
Your father's in Law Enforcement?

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-21, 12:55 AM
He sure is; I think I mentioned it earlier. And someday I'll be working right alongside him, and Harry Potter, he says, a determined glint in his eye.

MandibleBones
2013-09-21, 01:02 AM
"Being an Auror sounds like hard work unless it comes naturally like Director Potter," Lachlan observes. "Maybe you'd be better off in Hufflepuff? My uncle Ernie was a Hufflepuff, and probably would have been an Auror too if..." Lachlan trails off. "Anyway! You could probably be in any of the houses and be a top Auror, right? It takes wisdom, cunning, hard work and bravery all rolled together!"

He shakes his head. "I don't really know what I want to do when I grow up, though. I've got seven years to figure that out - and everything else. The earliest I really have to worry about it is the end of third year."

Chilingsworth
2013-09-21, 01:18 AM
*Nevile nods*

It can be dangerous, too. I... know all about that.

Hamste
2013-09-21, 07:44 PM
Pyrom sank into a seat as the conversation went on. They talked so fast and he has trouble getting into the conversation. Why don't you want to be Slytherin? Family honor, cleverness, leadership and loyalty? That all seems fine to me...even if they do have a tendency towards some other less glorious traits as well. Personally though, I think that I am going to be in Ravenclaw. I am just too focused on learning to be anything else. Pyrom said. He had always hated when people automatically disliked Slytherin... not all of them were bad and they had some great traits to them. Then again he might be a bit biased because his dad was a Slytherin when he went to Hogwarts.

MandibleBones
2013-09-21, 09:31 PM
"I don't mind Slytherin," Lachlan admits. "It's just that Ravenclaw's got a better library, and people will expect me to ask impertinant questions in that house. And I'm not terribly subtle, you know?" He waves it off. "Though I guess I'm more subtle than the Gryffindors. No offense, Barth: I hope you do get in if that's what you want."

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-21, 10:16 PM
Bartholomew shrugs, an easy smile on his lips. I'm not gonna argue, cause I know it's irrational; that's what my da always says. He's trying to knock that kind of thought out of my head; he tells me what people he works with that were in Slytherin to drill into my head that they aren't what I think they are, he says. That's just how I feel. If I do get sorted into it, I won't throw a fit; Aurors need to be able adapt, after all.

He claps his hands. But enough of me;I fear I detect a note of disapproval in your voice, Pyrom, and our first conversation shouldn't be one that brings bad blood between us. Is anyone here interested in Quidditch? I watch it with my father from time to time, but probably won't try out when we get old enough.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-21, 10:24 PM
*Nevile seems sort of absorbed by something concerning the previous conversation, but snaps out of it*

Quidditch? Hmm... it is more interesting than the muggle sports I've seen. But I'm not particularly interested in it. Of course, I haven't watched many matches, and none in person. So, maybe I haven't given it the best chance?

MandibleBones
2013-09-21, 11:11 PM
"Quidditch is pretty brill," Lachlan opines. "I follow Pride of Portree when I can, but I've not been out to a game. Skye's a while from Edinburgh for anyone who can't apparate, and mum's a little busy on game days - runs the Wand and Thistle pub, don't you know."

"Maybe we can get some pick-up games going next year, when we're allowed to have brooms," he adds. "I'm not the world's best chaser, but good enough to have fun."

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-23, 12:02 AM
Bartholomew nods. I've done okay as a Beater; I'm better at aiming a Bludger at others than I am at putting a Quaffle through the goalpost, he chuckles. Maybe I'll ask my da for a new broom next year; if I get good enough grades, I can call it a reward for a job well done.

And you should give it a shot; it's pretty big here in Britain, he says to Nevile. Expand your horizons and whatnot, right?

Chilingsworth
2013-09-23, 06:20 AM
Hmm... maybe. I suppose it couldn't hurt... much. At least as long as I prepare plenty of feather falls that day.

Hamste
2013-09-23, 06:02 PM
I would be a pretty good beater myself. I'm not particularly accurate but if someone gets hit by me they won't stand a chance. Why would you need these feather falls? It is actually pretty safe with the teachers watching and making sure we don't kill each other. Pyrom said smiling. If only they let first years practice...it would probably increase the effectiveness of the Quidditch team but there were probably safety implications with it though.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-23, 06:31 PM
Nevile

I suppose. Still, in a case where I could be killed, I like to have my own back up plan. At least, when I can. And where possible, I like my back up plans to not require my wand. You're right that I wouldn't need multiple instances of the spell, though.

asdflove
2013-10-08, 06:08 PM
Several hours later, the train pulls into Hogsmeade Station.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-08, 06:29 PM
Nevile

Ah, we're here? Hardly noticed the time passing while talking with all of you!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 06:04 PM
Guys? You alright?

I was told this would be breathtaking, but I didn't expect that was meant literally!

MandibleBones
2013-10-17, 06:07 PM
Lachlan wakes with a start. "Goblin rebellion of 1784! Alohamora! Powdered root of asphodel and infusion of wormwood! Blatching!" He shakes his head. "Oh. We're here. Good thing I'm already wearing robes, I guess." He grabs his bag and heads out toward the station. "You all coming?"

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-17, 06:24 PM
Eh? Bartholomew looks up from his trunk, having already changed into his robes. Did you say something? Sorry 'bout that, I was just making sure I have everything. Don't want to forget something on the train! Especially not you. This last bit is cooed to Cu as the boy picks up the owl's cage. Don't worry, boy, you'll be able to fly free soon enough.

He gathers his belongings and starts to walk from the room. Would you guys like to go up together? Might as well, right?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 06:35 PM
Indeed, let's.

Nevile also boarded the train wearing his robes.

asdflove
2013-10-17, 06:37 PM
(Skimming ahead, because i'm impatient sometimes.)

Once you are off the train you hear a gruff voice calling. "Firs' years! Firs' years this way!"

MandibleBones
2013-10-17, 07:04 PM
Lachlan looks up... and up, and up.

"You're in A History of the Late War!" he gasps. "Professor Hagrid?"

Hamste
2013-10-17, 07:20 PM
Pyrom rubbed his eyes as he woke up from the train stopping. He got and moved towards the shouting voice.

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-17, 07:27 PM
Bartholomew beams up a blinding smile at the behemoth of a man. You're the Hagrid! You're even bigger in person than I thought you'd be!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 07:36 PM
Nevile is too awestruck by the rest of the sights around him to speak. He dumbly nods agreements with his friends' comments.

asdflove
2013-10-17, 07:54 PM
He blushes brightly. "Aww, ya flatter me. Yeah, I'm Rubeus Hagrid, Grounds Keeper and Care of Magical creatures teacher at Hogwarts"

MandibleBones
2013-10-17, 08:03 PM
"I'm Lachlan Sinclair. These guys are Nevile Darian, Pyrom, and Bartholomew Erikson," Lachlan says, wondering mildly if his penchant for exposition came from his mother's Hufflepuff side or his father's bartender side.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 08:09 PM
Nevile metaphorically picks his jaw up off the ground, and bows politely to the legend.

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-17, 08:11 PM
Bartholomew nods excitedly. Yup, Bartholomew, that's me, he says. Do you ever see Harry Potter since he's graduated? Is it true that you were his first mentor when he joined Hogwarts?

asdflove
2013-10-17, 08:19 PM
Hagrid laughs heartily at the eager first years. "'Course I've seen 'im since 'e graduated! 'Arry's a good friend o' mine! O' course, yer question don' work anyway, since 'e never properly graduated. Skipped 'is 7th year, 'e did, so 'e could kill Voldemort." He grins. "And I dunno 'bout mentor, bu' I was tha firs' person from Hogwarts 'e met, an' I be the one who told 'im he was a wizard." Lots of other kids have gathered 'round at this point.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 08:24 PM
Coming to himself, Nevile speaks up:

This is all very interesting, but is hero worship really such a good idea? I mean, history is littered with examples of it going wrong and all.

Besides, this institution has more history to it than any one wizard, doesn't it?

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-17, 08:33 PM
Bartholomew scoffs. 'Course I knew he didn't graduate, he says, shifting his eyes from side to side.

He turns to look at Nevile, shrugging. I'm only eleven, Nev, he says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. There'll be plenty of time for me to learn about other heroes of history. But Professor Hagrid here is a direct line for information about Harry Potter, so I'll take the opportunity that's there.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 08:35 PM
Well, Bart... you're never too young to be aware of the world, nor too old for that matter.

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-17, 08:47 PM
Bartholomew sighs. I have read Hogwarts, A History, you know, he says. Along with half of the year's required reading. I can speak Spanish and Latin as well as I can English, and my dad keeps me up to date about important goings-ons in the Ministry. Just because I choose to focus my efforts on learning about Harry Potter, my idol, doesn't mean I'm as narrow-minded as you seem to think, Nev, he finishes.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 08:54 PM
I... apologize, Bart.

It's just that American Muggles do a lot of hero worshiping, and it's always made me feel ill. Just something of an ingrained response, I guess.

Nevile looks at the ground.

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-17, 09:12 PM
Bartholomew shrugs, looking to the side with a small amount of sheepishness. Don't worry about it too much, he mutters, though loud enough for the other boy to hear. It's just...we're kids, Nev. Kids are allowed to have heroes to look up to, right? People to aspire to be like. I know that my idolization of Harry Potter isn't at the level of zealous fanaticism, so your insinuation irked me is all.

He idly picks at Cu's feathers, taking sidelong glances at Nevile and Hagrid in turn, waiting for the time to depart...however they would be departing. His father had been annoyingly silent on how they would actually get to the castle.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 09:17 PM
Yeah... you're right. I'm sorry.

Nevile raises his head and looks Bart in the eye.

asdflove
2013-10-17, 09:18 PM
"Alrigh' ev'ryone, follow me!" Hagrid starts to lumber off.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 09:20 PM
Relieved to have something to do, Nevile follows, eager to get his student career started.

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-17, 09:22 PM
Bartholomew looks the other boy in the eye and gives a friendly grin. Picking up Cu's cage, he follows quickly after the large groundskeeper.

asdflove
2013-10-17, 09:27 PM
He leads through a large, but damp under ground tunnel, to a small dock in the cave where dark waters lap gently against the rock, shining gently in the torch light and many small wooden boats bob up and down slowly in the water.

MandibleBones
2013-10-17, 09:35 PM
Boats? In Scotland? In the fall? Lachlan thinks, carrying his bag and The Bruce in his cage and following.

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-17, 09:46 PM
Bartholomew looks at the boats without losing his smile. Well, I hope none of you is afraid of rafting, he says as he walks carefully into the closest rowboat.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 09:52 PM
Nevile smirks as he joins Bart in his boat.

asdflove
2013-10-18, 02:21 PM
"4 of ya to a boat! 2 wit me!" He climbs into a boat and it noticeably sinks farther into the water.

MandibleBones
2013-10-18, 05:46 PM
"Four to a boat, four of us... I see no problem with this," Lachlan tries to re-assure himself, getting in the boat with Barty and Nevile.

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-18, 10:57 PM
That's the spirit, Bartholomew says as his schoolmate joins them.

asdflove
2013-10-22, 06:10 PM
The boats take off, out of the underground cave. As you exit the cave you get your first glimpse of Hogwarts. The castle stands tall, lights shining out of scattered windows, reflecting dimly in the lake. Once damaged and destroyed towers stand tall, lights shining luminous from it. The sight is breathtaking.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-22, 06:20 PM
Just as Nevile was recovering from his dumbfounded awe, it sets in again.

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-22, 06:36 PM
Bartholomew can't help the wide grin that splits his face at the sight of the magnificent castle. It is large, and impressive, and the boy can barely contain his excitement. His foot bounces up and down slightly, a symptom of his nerves.

MandibleBones
2013-10-22, 07:09 PM
"Even the pictures don't do it justice," Lachlan observes, before awe overcomes even his motormouth.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-23, 09:45 PM
Yeah... you... said... it.

asdflove
2013-10-27, 11:43 AM
The boats reach the shore, and you're all lead to the entrance hall , where you're told to wait.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-27, 12:00 PM
Nevile nods and obeys.

MandibleBones
2013-10-28, 02:59 PM
Lachlan, glad to be off the boats, still appears nervous as he waits at the Great Hall's huge doors. He takes deep breaths, trying to calm down.

asdflove
2013-10-28, 09:22 PM
A short man with a curly brown mustache and neatly groom brown hair, both streaked with gray walks up.
"Hello girls and boys. Welcome to Hogwarts School for witchcraft and wizardry. You will spend the next 7 years of your education learning magic here. But first you have to be sorted." He grins and magically pulls open the large doors to the great hall.
Yes, Flitwick speaks in italicized Ravenclaw blue. Why? Because it has to look different from bolded Ravenclaw blue.
Candles float of their own accord all around the large room that appears to have no ceiling. Everyone at all 4 of the student tables are staring at you guys eagerly.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-28, 09:26 PM
Nevile looks around, beaming.

I'm here. I'm really here...!

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-28, 09:39 PM
Bartholomew looks around eagerly, face still split with a wide smile. His stride is sure as they are shuffled closer to the head of the great hall, though he can still barely contain his excitement. He wishes they would just hurry up and sort them already!

That's not a knock against the speed of the plot, asdflove; just an eleven year old's impatience :smallbiggrin:

MandibleBones
2013-10-28, 10:10 PM
Lachlan's attempts to calm down fail utterly, and he just keeps muttering "omigoshomigoshomigoshomigosh" under his breath until they finally call his name.

asdflove
2013-10-29, 08:25 PM
Flitwick starts reading names off the long list.
"Darian Nevile" He eventually calls.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-29, 08:50 PM
Present, Sir.

Nevile stands and hesitantly approaches Flitwick, to take a seat in the appointed chair.

asdflove
2013-10-29, 09:02 PM
The hat is dropped on his head, and slides over his eyes.
"Oh! An elf then. Interesting. Quite a focused boy, indeed. Very ambitious, and intelligent too... I'll go with... SLYTHERIN!"

Several minutes later...
"Erikson, Bartholomew!"

Chilingsworth
2013-10-29, 09:07 PM
Nevile nods, accepting the hat's decision.

I figured either that or Ravenclaw

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-29, 09:19 PM
Bartholomew's grin somehow widens further as he seemingly bounds to the front of the hall. He sits down on the seat, awaiting the hat to be placed on his head.

asdflove
2013-10-30, 04:05 PM
The hat is dropped on his head, sliding over his eyes.

"Brave, yet ambitious. Like your idol you could fit into both Gryffindor or Slytherin. Very focused on your dreams. Slytherin could help you on the way to your goals, but in the end it really comes to bravery and determination, doesn't it? I'll go with... GRYFFINDOR!"

"Juror, Pyrom!"

Hamste
2013-10-30, 04:17 PM
Pyrom walked up nervously as hoped that he got into Ravenclaw. He was a bit disappointed that none of his new friends were Ravenclaws but at least if he ended up not in Ravenclaw he would have friends...unless if he got into Hufflepuff some how.

asdflove
2013-10-31, 10:07 PM
"Hmm, A good Intellect, eager to learn, insatiable curiosity? There's no house for you other that... RAVENCLAW!"

"MacMillan, Lachlan!"

MandibleBones
2013-11-02, 10:20 PM
Lachlan bites back his nervousness by going over facts from 1001 Magical Herbs and Fungi in his head as he walks down the aisle toward the Sorting Hat.

Ravenclaw Ravenclaw Ravenclaw Ravenclaw Ravenclaw... he thinks as hard as he can, as Flitwick drops the hat on his head.

asdflove
2013-11-03, 08:52 AM
"Heh. RAVENCLAW is is then."

MandibleBones
2013-11-03, 12:09 PM
Thank you, Sorting Hat, sir! Or ma'am! he thinks, and dashes off to join Pyrom at the Eagle's table. A few feet off the stool, he pauses, takes the hat off his head, and sheepishly hands it back to Prof. Flitwick before running to Ravenclaw.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-05, 11:46 PM
Nevile is saddened that he shares a house with none of his new friends, but decides to make the best of it, appraising those students assigned to Slytherin with him.

asdflove
2013-11-14, 08:54 PM
McGonagal gives her opening speech and the food appears.

MandibleBones
2013-11-15, 04:18 PM
Lachlan suddenly realizes he is very, very hungry... and despite the temptation to dive right into weighty conversations on subjects he does not yet understand, he instead goes straight for whatever meat and starch combination is being served tonight. After all, food takes knowledge too, and he's a very curious — and hungry — child.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-16, 04:19 AM
Nevile eats slowly, taking mental note of each new item he eats, and taking the time to enjoy the flavor. Also, making a point of trying everything offered, if he possibly can.

While he does so, he tries to take the measure of the other students at the Slytherin table.

ooc: what's being served, anyway? /ooc

asdflove
2013-11-16, 12:29 PM
ooc: what's being served, anyway? /ooc
Just about everything. It's a Hogwarts feast. If you can think of a (legitimate) food item, it's probably on the table somewhere.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-16, 12:37 PM
Despite his best efforts, Nevile fails to sample everything and is overwhelmed in his attempts to do so.

He starts by sampling some of the abalone, and just barely makes it to the Kobe beef. At this point, he feels that his stomach will explode.

Thokk_Smash
2013-11-16, 12:58 PM
Bartholomew happily chows down on a medium-rare steak, with mashed potatoes and broccoli. As he begins to finish it up, he wonders if they possibly have corned beef and cabbage...and as soon as he thinks it, the beef and cabbage appear on the plate across from him! This place is the best, he declares, grinning as he heaps his plate with it. He takes a bite, thinking, Not quite as good as Ma's, but still pretty good!

As he continues to make his way through the food, he turns to the person next to him. Hello, he says after swallowing his mouthful of food. I'm Bartholomew Erikson. What's your name?

asdflove
2013-11-16, 04:50 PM
The boy next to you appears to be 15 or 16 years old, and he has blue hair. "Huh? Oh, Teddy Lupin." He holds out a hand for a hand shake.

Thokk_Smash
2013-11-16, 05:18 PM
Bartholomew takes the other boy's hand in a firm grip. Pleasure to meet you, Teddy, he says. You can call me Bart or Barty, if you'd like.

Your last name's Lupin, so that means your ma was an animorphmagus, right? he asks, gesturing at the older boy's unnaturally colored hair. That's so cool, he says with a grin, putting another bite of food in his mouth.

asdflove
2013-11-16, 06:21 PM
"Metamorphmagus, actually. Yeah, my mum was one. I've been told she kept her hair bright pink."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-22, 03:07 AM
As he reaches his (not particularly impressive) limit on food, Nevile introduces himself.

I'm Nevile Darian. I hope we'll all have mutually beneficial careers together, both in school and after graduation.

asdflove
2013-11-23, 09:36 AM
As he reaches his (not particularly impressive) limit on food, Nevile introduces himself.

I'm Nevile Darian. I hope we'll all have mutually beneficial careers together, both in school and after graduation.
The girl next to him is staring at her plate, she seems to have eaten less than Nevile. She's also a first year, her name is Vivian Dusk, if you remember that. Her black hair is hanging in her face.
"Huh?" She looks up startled. "Oh. I am Viviani- Vivian Dusk" She smiles awkwardly.
No one else really paid him much mind.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-23, 09:46 AM
Nevile nods and returns the smile.

Nice to meet you, Vivian.
So, which subjects are you most interested in? Personally I hope to focus in divination and battle magics.

Thokk_Smash
2013-11-23, 11:07 AM
"Metamorphmagus, actually. Yeah, my mum was one. I've been told she kept her hair bright pink."

Bartholomew nods. My favorite color's emerald green, he says. Not that I don't like my red hair, but having emerald-green hair would be pretty fun.

He pauses for a moment, a glint coming to his eyes. So what's it like having Harry Potter as your godfather? he asks, unable to fully conceal his desire to hear the answer. I'll bet it's totally awesome; firsthand stories of dodging Death Eaters and beating Voldemort are probably the best bedtime stories. Did he teach you any cool Auror tricks before you came to Hogwarts? He manages to stop himself from encroaching on the other boy's personal space, but not by much.

MandibleBones
2013-11-23, 02:13 PM
Having quieted his stomach, Lachlan listens around to see what stimulating conversation is to be had at the Ravenclaw table.

asdflove
2013-11-23, 04:30 PM
Nevile nods and returns the smile.

Nice to meet you, Vivian.
So, which subjects are you most interested in? Personally I hope to focus in divination and battle magics.
"Oh. Defense against the Dark arts as well. I also like charms..." She pauses, seeming nervous. "I have heard the divination class here is a joke, easy O, you know? The teacher suposedly does not even teach any divination spells."

Bartholomew nods. My favorite color's emerald green, he says. Not that I don't like my red hair, but having emerald-green hair would be pretty fun.

He pauses for a moment, a glint coming to his eyes. So what's it like having Harry Potter as your godfather? he asks, unable to fully conceal his desire to hear the answer. I'll bet it's totally awesome; firsthand stories of dodging Death Eaters and beating Voldemort are probably the best bedtime stories. Did he teach you any cool Auror tricks before you came to Hogwarts? He manages to stop himself from encroaching on the other boy's personal space, but not by much.
"Let me guess, you're a fan?" He chuckles. "Uncle Harry's a normal guy. A nice normal guy, but a normal guy none the less." A smile creeps onto his face. "Let me let you in on a secret. Most of his time 'dodging Death Eaters' was him, Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione apparating around to random places and sleeping in a tent while nigh constantly bickering. Of course I know Uncle Ron just loves to exaggerate the story, but the only exciting parts before the Battle of Hogwarts were at Godric's Hallow, the Lovegood's house and Malfoy Manor."

Having quieted his stomach, Lachlan listens around to see what stimulating conversation is to be had at the Ravenclaw table.
Lachlan hears snippets of many conversations.
"I can't believe I took divination, again."
"I bloody hate dogs, you know?"
"and the square root of pi multiplied by 1000-"
"Someone really should fire Binns already, he's the worst."
"Do you think McGonagal is going to retire soon?"
"-and he was like "Bloody Hell!" and I said "I know right?" It was unbelievable how it-"
"-Quibbler. Yeah, it's silly, but I like it."
"The OWL's are supposed to be incredibly difficult, but your future career depends on them, so you have to pass!"

Thokk_Smash
2013-11-23, 04:56 PM
"Let me guess, you're a fan?" He chuckles. "Uncle Harry's a normal guy. A nice normal guy, but a normal guy none the less." A smile creeps onto his face. "Let me let you in on a secret. Most of his time 'dodging Death Eaters' was him, Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione apparating around to random places and sleeping in a tent while nigh constantly bickering. Of course I know Uncle Ron just loves to exaggerate the story, but the only exciting parts before the Battle of Hogwarts were at Godric's Hallow, the Lovegood's house and Malfoy Manor."

Bartholomew grins, unashamed of his curiosity. Ah, you're just saying that 'cause you've known him for so long, he says, voice comically over-dismissive as he flaps his hand. You may think of him as a "normal guy", but you gotta admit that he did amazing things when he wasn't even a decade older than us. Someday I'm gonna be an awesome Auror, then I'll work together with him, and we'll be the best team the Ministry's ever seen. He nods after saying this, a determined grin on his face. Or that's the general idea, anyway.

So what's life like at Hogwarts, anyway? he asks. My da mentioned the moving staircases, and to avoid Peeves, but it's been awhile since he stayed here.

Hamste
2013-11-23, 05:43 PM
Think we will see the others a lot? I hope so. It's kind of sad that only two of us were actually in the same house together. Then again we didn't know them for that long. Pyrom said to Lachlan as he tried to understand the context of the conversations. He looked around trying to connect the voices with people for future conservations. He would probably end up forgetting but it could be useful for making friends if he could somehow remember. He ate mostly meats with a few grains for energy. He would out a bit later while he studied. After all he had to do well in school if he wanted to do well in life.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-23, 05:48 PM
"Oh. Defense against the Dark arts as well. I also like charms..." She pauses, seeming nervous. "I have heard the divination class here is a joke, easy O, you know? The teacher suposedly does not even teach any divination spells."

Nevile seems highly disappointed.

A joke of a divination class? Guess I'll have to do an independent study then. That, or rely on the training I received back home in the States for that sort of magic.

asdflove
2013-11-23, 06:21 PM
Nevile seems highly disappointed.

A joke of a divination class? Guess I'll have to do an independent study then. That, or rely on the training I received back home in the States for that sort of magic.
"Yes. All about tea readings and crystal balls. You are from America?"

MandibleBones
2013-11-23, 06:31 PM
"Wait, nobody's exorcised Binns yet?" Lachlan bursts in, utterly incredulous. "Haven't the History of Magic O.W.L. scores been awful forever? Doesn't everyone drop that class for N.E.W.T.S.?"

Chilingsworth
2013-11-23, 06:56 PM
"Yes. All about tea readings and crystal balls. You are from America?"

Nevile nods.

Yes. Seattle to be more precise. Though my family spends a lot of time in D.C. these days. My father was interested in your way of harnessing magic. In particular, the possibilities of combining your ways and ours. Unfortunately, he's too old to enroll and too busy in any case, so he recruited me. Not that I mind, by any means.

Hmm... I don't know that I'd discount crystal balls and tea readings. Some of our folk use such things in their spells. But... without the actual spells, they are indeed useless.

asdflove
2013-11-23, 07:16 PM
"Wait, nobody's exorcised Binns yet?" Lachlan bursts in, utterly incredulous. "Haven't the History of Magic O.W.L. scores been awful forever? Doesn't everyone drop that class for N.E.W.T.S.?"
"Huh? No, they haven't. Sadly. Actually some people take his class, believe it or not."

Nevile nods.

Yes. Seattle to be more precise. Though my family spends a lot of time in D.C. these days. My father was interested in your way of harnessing magic. In particular, the possibilities of combining your ways and ours. Unfortunately, he's too old to enroll and too busy in any case, so he recruited me. Not that I mind, by any means.

Hmm... I don't know that I'd discount crystal balls and tea readings. Some of our folk use such things in their spells. But... without the actual spells, they are indeed useless.
"Oh. My magic training up to now mostly discounted things such as that. Sure, some spells require a focus, but for the most part..."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-23, 07:28 PM
"Oh. My magic training up to now mostly discounted things such as that. Sure, some spells require a focus, but for the most part..."

Nevile smiles reassuringly.

So I've heard. Your form of magic uses a caster's wand for such purposes.

Ours is wandless. The advantage is that we're not as strongly tied to a specific object. But, we pay for it in a lack of versatility, and a need to maintain a supply material components for many of our spells.

Actually, I'm versed, however slightly, in two forms of magic. We don't have a single magic tradition, you see. Rather, we've inherited elements of many traditions, because we're a nation of immigrants. That's true of the mages among us at least as much as the muggles.

asdflove
2013-11-23, 07:57 PM
Nevile smiles reassuringly.

So I've heard. Your form of magic uses a caster's wand for such purposes.

Ours is wandless. The advantage is that we're not as strongly tied to a specific object. But, we pay for it in a lack of versatility, and a need to maintain a supply material components for many of our spells.

Actually, I'm versed, however slightly, in two forms of magic. We don't have a single magic tradition, you see. Rather, we've inherited elements of many traditions, because we're a nation of immigrants. That's true of the mages among us at least as much as the muggles.
"Oh? No. No. No. No. I have never used a wand. I only bought one yesterday. That sounds quite like the magic I have been learning. I was not aware that Americans studied magics so similar to that of the e-... nevermind..." Vivian trails off awkwardly, looking away from Nevile.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-23, 08:03 PM
"Oh? No. No. No. No. I have never used a wand. I only bought one yesterday. That sounds quite like the magic I have been learning. I was not aware that Americans studied magics so similar to that of the e-... nevermind..." Vivian trails off awkwardly, looking away from Nevile.

Knowledge checks to guess what she stopped herself from saying:

Arcana: [roll0]
History: [roll1]

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if there's anything other than "elves" she could have been thinking of.

asdflove
2013-11-23, 08:15 PM
Knowledge checks to guess what she stopped herself from saying:

Arcana: [roll0]
History: [roll1]

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if there's anything other than "elves" she could have been thinking of.

Absolutely nothing.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-23, 08:24 PM
As I said, the US is a nation of immigrants, mage and muggle alike. Our traditions come from everywhere, pretty much.

[roll0]

asdflove
2013-11-23, 08:33 PM
As I said, the US is a nation of immigrants, mage and muggle alike. Our traditions come from everywhere, pretty much.

[roll0]
"Are you lying to me? I think you are." She scowls. "I understand if you want to keep your secrets, but do not lie, just say nothing at at all."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-23, 08:48 PM
"Are you lying to me? I think you are." She scowls. "I understand if you want to keep your secrets, but do not lie, just say nothing at at all."

Nevile's eyes widen.

(quietly)
You're right. You've done nothing to earn my dishonesty.
If you understand this, you can likely guess why I might hide the truth. The fact you know of my kind surprised me. And I wonder if you might be of similar origin.

How does she know about us at all? Either she'll figure out the truth, or she'll jump to a worse false conclusion. Hmm... Of course, she might know by being another elf. Well, I suppose I don't have too much to lose. In for a penny...

asdflove
2013-11-23, 08:54 PM
Nevile's eyes widen.

(quietly)
You're right. You've done nothing to earn my dishonesty.
If you understand this, you can likely guess why I might hide the truth. The fact you know of my kind surprised me. And I wonder if you might be of similar origin.
She turns her head to you, grinning.
"Interesting" She looks him in the eyes and her blue eyes flash to reveal their true color of light pink. "Perhaps we are of the same origin." She idly twists a ring on her finger. "I think learning here at Hogwarts will be fun. Do you not agree?"

Chilingsworth
2013-11-23, 09:00 PM
Nevile returns the grin and eye contact (his eyes don't change though, since green is a natural if rare human eye color.)

Indeed.

(quietly)

"What fools these mortals be," eh?

asdflove
2013-11-23, 10:01 PM
Nevile returns the grin and eye contact (his eyes don't change though, since green is a natural if rare human eye color.)

Indeed.

(quietly)

"What fools these mortals be," eh?
"Of course."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-24, 12:49 PM
Still, some of them are quite clever. And I met a few on the train I think are alright.

MandibleBones
2013-11-24, 04:58 PM
Right, Lachlan thinks. "I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt," he tells the older Ravenclaw. "But seriously, if he's as bad as people say he is, I'll need to find three disgraced professors and a former member of the Hogsmeade Fire Brigade."

He looks around, trying to find someone in his year. It would have been helpful, he realizes, if I'd been paying any attention to the rest of the sorting.

Then he realized the quiet kid from their compartment had been sitting across from him the whole time and was speaking to him.

"Ach! Pyrom! I completely lost track of my thoughts," he apologizes. "Yeah, I'm sure we'll have classes with them at least. I'm pretty glad both of us ended up in the same house, though. Must be lonely for the other two, out in the other houses."

asdflove
2013-11-26, 04:22 PM
Still, some of them are quite clever. And I met a few on the train I think are alright.
"I met a few on the train as well, though most I only talked to my friend, and read... The one I did speak briefly with seemed nice, if a bit odd. He had blue hair, which I know is not natural for them..."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-26, 05:40 PM
"I met a few on the train as well, though most I only talked to my friend, and read... The one I did speak briefly with seemed nice, if a bit odd. He had blue hair, which I know is not natural for them..."

Blue hair? Hmm. that is unusual. But this friend... there's a third of our kind here?

asdflove
2013-11-26, 05:52 PM
Blue hair? Hmm. that is unusual. But this friend... there's a third of our kind here?

"Yes." She turns, looking towards the Gryffindor table. "He is a Gryffindor." Her eyes scan he table. "The brunet on the far end near the doors."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-26, 06:03 PM
Nevile casually looks where Vivian indicates, while he's at it looking around for anyone with blue hair.

(incidentally, male or female, assuming I can see the person well enough to tell? (or does brunet only refer to women/girls?))

Hmm. The people I met... three of them, one was sorted into Gryffindor, the other two were sorted into Ravenclaw. *he then gives short descriptions of Bart, Lachlan, and Pyrom.*

Sadly, I wasn't sent here with any of our kin.

asdflove
2013-11-26, 06:11 PM
Nevile casually looks where Vivian indicates, while he's at it looking around for anyone with blue hair.

(incidentally, male or female, assuming I can see the person well enough to tell? (or does brunet only refer to women/girls?))

Hmm. The people I met... three of them, one was sorted into Gryffindor, the other two were sorted into Ravenclaw. *he then gives short descriptions of Bart, Lachlan, and Pyrom.*

Sadly, I wasn't sent here with any of our kin.

(Brunette is Female, Brunet is Male.)

He sees the person Vivian was referring to stirring their drink with their finger absentmindedly.
Farther down the table he sees the blue hair person and Bart sitting next to them.

"Ah. Lenkylen is my best friend. He chose to come when I decided I wanted to."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-26, 06:14 PM
Hmm... seems your blue-haired acquaintance has met my acquaintance Bart. Small world, I guess.

Hamste
2013-11-26, 08:19 PM
Yeah, that is a bit sad. At least we will be seeing them again. Think they will have a tour around here? I wonder if they have a weight room. I like to exercise while studying as it helps me concentrate. I also can't wait to see the library. I heard that it holds some interesting books in it. Pyrom said. He was getting a bit antsy again. The train made him miss his great sword training and he needed exercise to focus his mind.

MandibleBones
2013-11-27, 09:08 PM
"Definitely looking forward to the library," Lachlan agrees. "If we can't find a weight room for you, though, I bet we could get some help setting up an empty classroom, or something. At the very least, we can run, at least until it snows."

asdflove
2013-11-29, 01:43 PM
Hmm... seems your blue-haired acquaintance has met my acquaintance Bart. Small world, I guess.

"Well technically the world is quite large. It has a circumference of 40,075 kilometers... Nevermind..." She falls silent, staring at her plate.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-29, 08:27 PM
"Well technically the world is quite large. It has a circumference of 40,075 kilometers... Nevermind..." She falls silent, staring at her plate.

No please continue. Nevile smiles. I find the natural sciences fascinating. Sure, magic can make the laws of physics sit down and shut up. But, having a working knowledge of those laws can still come in handy, not so?

asdflove
2013-11-30, 09:27 AM
No please continue. Nevile smiles. I find the natural sciences fascinating. Sure, magic can make the laws of physics sit down and shut up. But, having a working knowledge of those laws can still come in handy, not so?
"Well I was just saying that the phrase small world is incorrect because the world is actually quite large, unless you are talking about it on a cosmic scale..."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-30, 09:38 AM
"Well I was just saying that the phrase small world is incorrect because the world is actually quite large, unless you are talking about it on a cosmic scale..."

Actually, I was thinking more of the magical "world." Those aware of magic (let alone able to make use of it) form a tiny portion of the sapients on this planet. And the areas we claim as our own represent a similarly tiny portion of its surface.

asdflove
2013-11-30, 09:57 AM
Actually, I was thinking more of the magical "world." Those aware of magic (let alone able to make use of it) form a tiny portion of the sapients on this planet. And the areas we claim as our own represent a similarly tiny portion of its surface.

"Hmm. That is not what it sounded like you meant, and really still not correct. Perhaps if you do think about it on a global scale, but the wizarding, and magic world in general, makes up about 2% of the population, which is still over 100 million people."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-30, 11:22 AM
"Hmm. That is not what it sounded like you meant, and really still not correct. Perhaps if you do think about it on a global scale, but the wizarding, and magic world in general, makes up about 2% of the population, which is still over 100 million people."

Hmm. Put that way, I suppose you're right.

asdflove
2013-11-30, 11:26 AM
Hmm. Put that way, I suppose you're right.

"Uh huh. 'Darius wanted me to know more than just magic, so he's taught me more than just magic. To clarify I was learning magic before I came here. My teacher's name is Rendarius." She smiles. "Well, one of them..."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-30, 11:49 AM
"Uh huh. 'Darius wanted me to know more than just magic, so he's taught me more than just magic. To clarify I was learning magic before I came here. My teacher's name is Rendarius." She smiles. "Well, one of them..."

That sounds not dissimilar to my background. In my case, my family has been part of our Muggle Monitoring Service for about as long as it has existed. My father is placed in the US State Department. My mother was placed within the FBI, to keep track of smugglers and other traffickers in illicit magical goods... Until one group of such killed her.

*he turns sad at mentioning his mother, but forces the feeling down*

The upshot is, I was exposed to muggle ways- I have actually spent some time in the States- and have also been raised to learn more than just magic.

asdflove
2013-11-30, 01:15 PM
That sounds not dissimilar to my background. In my case, my family has been part of our Muggle Monitoring Service for about as long as it has existed. My father is placed in the US State Department. My mother was placed within the FBI, to keep track of smugglers and other traffickers in illicit magical goods... Until one group of such killed her.

*he turns sad at mentioning his mother, but forces the feeling down*

The upshot is, I was exposed to muggle ways- I have actually spent some time in the States- and have also been raised to learn more than just magic.

"Oh? My family is actually of a high station back home..." She pauses, taking a deep breath. "My mother died when I was very young as well. I never have lived anywhere but this small little village by the coast, though I have been to the capital more times than I could count. Most of my family lives there after all..."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-30, 02:00 PM
"Oh? My family is actually of a high station back home..." She pauses, taking a deep breath. "My mother died when I was very young as well. I never have lived anywhere but this small little village by the coast, though I have been to the capital more times than I could count. Most of my family lives there after all..."

Ah. My family doesn't have a title or anything, though we're well enough off, I suppose. I spent the first decade or two of my life in the capital, before my parents got their assignments. Since then, I've spent at least as much of it abroad... mostly in the States... as at home.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

asdflove
2013-11-30, 02:08 PM
Ah. My family doesn't have a title or anything, though we're well enough off, I suppose. I spent the first decade or two of my life in the capital, before my parents got their assignments. Since then, I've spent at least as much of it abroad... mostly in the States... as at home.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

"It was a long time ago anyway..." She mutters. "So, is Nevile your real name, or a false one to better fit in?" She says clearly trying to steer the conversation away from the past.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-30, 02:19 PM
"It was a long time ago anyway..." She mutters. "So, is Nevile your real name, or a false one to better fit in?" She says clearly trying to steer the conversation away from the past.

It's kind of both. It's a lot like your name, I'm guessing, if I heard you right when you introduced yourself. Nevil'd'rattine'r'Darian is my proper name. However, the person "Nevile Darian" does legally exist (granted, based on magically forged US paperwork and some carefully administered memory charms) and I've been using that name long enough that I identify myself by it easily.

asdflove
2013-11-30, 02:24 PM
It's kind of both. It's a lot like your name, I'm guessing, if I heard you right when you introduced yourself. Nevil'd'rattine'r'Darian is my proper name. However, the person "Nevile Darian" does legally exist (granted, based on magically forged US paperwork and some carefully administered memory charms) and I've been using that name long enough that I identify myself by it easily.

"That is absurd. My name is just Vivianius." She says laughing slightly. "Vivian Dusk... Only exists according to Hogwarts."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-30, 02:31 PM
"That is absurd. My name is just Vivianius." She says laughing slightly. "Vivian Dusk... Only exists according to Hogwarts."

Nevile likewise laughs.

Yes I know my proper name is silly. Another reason I prefer my pseudonym. My name got so... enlarged because both my parents added their surnames to it.

asdflove
2013-11-30, 02:58 PM
Nevile likewise laughs.

Yes I know my proper name is silly. Another reason I prefer my pseudonym. My name got so... enlarged because both my parents added their surnames to it.

"Ah, that makes sense. I actually got my mothers surname, though I was named after my paternal grandmother."

In elven society when a noble gets married the spouse takes the nobles surname, regardless of gender. If they both are nobles, the higher stationed one is whom the surname is taken from.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-30, 03:20 PM
Nevile nods.

[roll0]
Seeing if he remembers any other noblewoman named Vivianius from around two generations ago. Not trained in Knowledge (Nobility) but if it's a DC of 10 or less: [roll1]

I see. As I said, my parents bore no titles. So, they each kept their own surname and gave both to me, though the surname of my pseudonym is my father's.

asdflove
2013-11-30, 04:05 PM
Nevile nods.

[roll0]
Seeing if he remembers any other noblewoman named Vivianius from around two generations ago. Not trained in Knowledge (Nobility) but if it's a DC of 10 or less: [roll1]

I see. As I said, my parents bore no titles. So, they each kept their own surname and gave both to me, though the surname of my pseudonym is my father's.

"Yeah. What do you hope to get from learning here at Hogwarts?"

There was a minor noble women named Vivanius Leafstrong.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-30, 04:15 PM
"Yeah. What do you hope to get from learning here at Hogwarts?"

Truthfully? To gain enough skill to identify my mother's killer or killers and avenge her. I believe divination will be vital, or at least very useful, to this effort, hence my desire to study it. What about you?

asdflove
2013-11-30, 05:50 PM
Truthfully? To gain enough skill to identify my mother's killer or killers and avenge her. I believe divination will be vital, or at least very useful, to this effort, hence my desire to study it. What about you?

"This is honestly just another step along the way to master magic. It's my dream to be a true master of magic, arcane and divine."

Chilingsworth
2013-12-01, 09:49 PM
"This is honestly just another step along the way to master magic. It's my dream to be a true master of magic, arcane and divine."

Ah. You're walking the path of the theurge? I'm also seeking to combine multiple disciplines. Though in my case, both are arcane.

asdflove
2013-12-14, 04:53 PM
Ah. You're walking the path of the theurge? I'm also seeking to combine multiple disciplines. Though in my case, both are arcane.
"Ah. I actually started out just learning arcane, but my cousin, who decided he didn't want to come here, convinced me to learn divine magic with him." She pulls a holy symbol necklace out from under her robes briefly. "Aleaina, goddess of Knowledge and Magic."

Chilingsworth
2013-12-14, 11:16 PM
"Ah. I actually started out just learning arcane, but my cousin, who decided he didn't want to come here, convinced me to learn divine magic with him." She pulls a holy symbol necklace out from under her robes briefly. "Aleaina, goddess of Knowledge and Magic."

A worthy patron. There aren't that many divine practitioners these days, are there? A shame really. That path offers several useful skills. Then again, it could be that a combination of muggle secular philosophies, and the shear preposterousness of many muggle religions have discouraged such things among our kind.

asdflove
2013-12-18, 11:35 AM
A worthy patron. There aren't that many divine practitioners these days, are there? A shame really. That path offers several useful skills. Then again, it could be that a combination of muggle secular philosophies, and the shear preposterousness of many muggle religions have discouraged such things among our kind.
"Our people have more divine practitioners than others. I'm sure most people here would stare at me like I was a daft fool if I said something about divine magic."

asdflove
2013-12-24, 03:17 PM
Bartholomew grins, unashamed of his curiosity. Ah, you're just saying that 'cause you've known him for so long, he says, voice comically over-dismissive as he flaps his hand. You may think of him as a "normal guy", but you gotta admit that he did amazing things when he wasn't even a decade older than us. Someday I'm gonna be an awesome Auror, then I'll work together with him, and we'll be the best team the Ministry's ever seen. He nods after saying this, a determined grin on his face. Or that's the general idea, anyway.

So what's life like at Hogwarts, anyway? he asks. My da mentioned the moving staircases, and to avoid Peeves, but it's been awhile since he stayed here.
"Yeah, I guess. But think about it this way, it very well could have been Nevile Longbottom instead, if things had just happened a little different." He pauses.
"Well, personally, I love it here. Your dad is right about Peeves. Avoid him at all costs. With teachers, it varies. Slughorn, the potions master," He gestures at the staff table. "loves it when you suck up. You might even get in his prestigious 'slug club'. Apparently he's been around so long he even taught my dad. The charms professor, Flitwick, is the nicest, cheeriest teacher you'll ever meet. I don't think it's possible for him to get mad. You've probably already met Hagrid, but he teaches care of magical creatures, you won't have him unless you sign up for his class in you 3rd year. Professor Clayworth teaches Defense against the Dark Arts- I think you'll like this- At least once a year she gets Uncle Harry to come in and teach the classes. In fact, McGonagal wanted Uncle Harry to be the teacher, but he declined, because he wanted to be an auror. He grins. "Professor Longbottom teaches herbology. You could ask him lots of questions about Uncle Harry. They were school friends."

Thokk_Smash
2013-12-24, 05:38 PM
"Yeah, I guess. But think about it this way, it very well could have been Nevile Longbottom instead, if things had just happened a little different." He pauses.
"Well, personally, I love it here. Your dad is right about Peeves. Avoid him at all costs. With teachers, it varies. Slughorn, , the potions master," He gestures at the staff table. "loves it when you suck up. You might even get in his prestigious 'slug club'. Apparently he's been around so long he even taught my dad. The charms professor, Flitwick, is the nicest, cheeriest teacher you'll ever meet. I don't think it's possible for him to get mad. You've probably already met Hagrid, but he teaches care of magical creatures, you won't have him unless you sign up for his class in you 3rd year. Professor Clayworth teaches Defense against the Dark Arts- I think you'll like this- At least once a year she gets Harry to come in and teach the classes. In fact, McGonagal wanted Harry to be the Teacher, but he declined, because he wanted to be an auror. He grins. "Professor Longbottom teaches herbology. You could ask him lots of questions about Harry. Thye were school friends."

Bartholomew nods at the mention of Neville Longbottom; he'd heard his father talk of the "prophecy" that had started Harry Potter's legacy, and he would like to talk to Professor Longbottom at some point.

He grimaces slightly at the mention of the "Slug Club". Such blatant favoritism might help him in his studies, but it rankles him. Glad to hear the teachers are all good to have...although I've heard that Professor Hagrid's classes are rather more interesting than the others.

The mention of Harry Potter making an appearance brings a visible smile to his face, but he chooses not to exclaim on it. He should probably show some form of restraint, he supposes. I think I'll enjoy speaking with Professor Longbottom, he says instead. There are many useful herbs that my father tried to drill into my head, but I never paid them much mind.

He continues to eat, this time working on a chocolate pudding that had appeared in front of him. It is delicious, of course, and he licks his spoon clean as he finishes. Turning to Teddy, he asks, Do you take part in any of the physical classes; fencing, or archery, or whatnot?

asdflove
2013-12-24, 05:55 PM
Bartholomew nods at the mention of Neville Longbottom; he'd heard his father talk of the "prophecy" that had started Harry Potter's legacy, and he would like to talk to Professor Longbottom at some point.

He grimaces slightly at the mention of the "Slug Club". Such blatant favoritism might help him in his studies, but it rankles him. Glad to hear the teachers are all good to have...although I've heard that Professor Hagrid's classes are rather more interesting than the others.

The mention of Harry Potter making an appearance brings a visible smile to his face, but he chooses not to exclaim on it. He should probably show some form of restraint, he supposes. I think I'll enjoy speaking with Professor Longbottom, he says instead. There are many useful herbs that my father tried to drill into my head, but I never paid them much mind.

He continues to eat, this time working on a chocolate pudding that had appeared in front of him. It is delicious, of course, and he licks his spoon clean as he finishes. Turning to Teddy, he asks, Do you take part in any of the physical classes; fencing, or archery, or whatnot?
"They are certainly... interesting, all right." He chuckles.
"Oh, no. I actually meet my physical requirement with quidditch. I'm a keeper."

Thokk_Smash
2013-12-24, 05:59 PM
"They are certainly... interesting, all right." He chuckles.
"Oh, no. I actually meet my physical requirement with quidditch. I'm a keeper."

Oh, that's wicked, Barty replies. How has Gryffindor been doing in Quidditch, anyway?

asdflove
2013-12-24, 07:34 PM
Oh, that's wicked, Barty replies. How has Gryffindor been doing in Quidditch, anyway?
Won the cup last year. Year before the Ravenclaw won, but who really cares about that." He jokes. "Do you play quidditch at all?"

Thokk_Smash
2013-12-24, 10:35 PM
Won the cup last year. Year before the Ravenclaw won, but who really cares about that." He jokes. "Do you play quidditch at all?"

He shakes his head. Not really. I can fly a broom well enough, but actually playing it doesn't truly appeal to me. I'll fill my physical requirement with fencing, probably. My da showed me a few moves with his old saber.

asdflove
2013-12-26, 09:54 PM
He shakes his head. Not really. I can fly a broom well enough, but actually playing it doesn't truly appeal to me. I'll fill my physical requirement with fencing, probably. My da showed me a few moves with his old saber.
Ah, Teddy smiles. "I see. Quidditch isn't for everyone, but it's kinda a thing in my family. Even James, who's only 8, is already playing quidditch. Albus too, actually," He chuckles lightly. "though Aunt Ginny doesn't know that.

asdflove
2014-01-10, 03:46 PM
As everyone finishes eating, prefects at every table call for the first years to follow them to the dorms.

Thokk_Smash
2014-01-10, 04:00 PM
Bartholomew follows the Gryffindor prefects, eagerly continuing to look at the portraits and staircases as they move along.

MandibleBones
2014-01-14, 01:58 PM
Lachlan follows his prefects along, eager to see the famed Ravenclaw Tower for the first time. To what strange riddles might the door require answers? Is the common room library more helpful than the Restricted Section? Have the eagles discovered central heating (because this is definitely a tower in Scotland, and winter is coming)? Only the next few minutes will tell!

asdflove
2014-01-17, 11:29 AM
Everyone reaches their common room and are shown to their dorms.