PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Greco-Roman Deities

Chester
2013-09-14, 05:07 PM
I've been scouring the interwebs, but I cannot seem to locate any sources for using the Greek Pantheon as deities in a D&D 3.5 campaign. Does such a source exist?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-14, 05:08 PM
Deities and Demigods is a 3.0 book, but includes statblocks and other information for the Greek pantheon, among others. If you have specific questions I can answer them as I happen to have the book to hand.

Chester
2013-09-14, 05:17 PM
Deities and Demigods is a 3.0 book, but includes statblocks and other information for the Greek pantheon, among others. If you have specific questions I can answer them as I happen to have the book to hand.

I'll look it up, but if you have it handy....

Looking for Neutral deities, or perhaps if a neutral cleric could be a priest of Hades. Newcomer to the party wants to stay neutral to keep balance (party is leaning evil), but wants to play a "darker" cleric.

He mentioned Athena, whom I'm sure is good aligned, but I'd like to know what options are out there.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-14, 05:30 PM
Athena is LG. Neutral options are Artemis (NG), Demeter (N), Dionysus (CN), Hades and Hecate (NE), Hephaestus (NG), Hera (N), Hestia (NG), Nike (LN), Pan and Poseidon (CN), Tyche (N) and the Academy (NG).

The Academy specifically is really awkward for people because it's the deific embodiment of a philosophical system which rejects all Olympian deities as truly deific. It sorta flies in the face of people who hate deityless Clerics.

johnbragg
2013-09-14, 05:40 PM
I think a neutral cleric of Hades would be fine.

On the god side, Hades is a jerk in most of the myths, but so is Zeus.

On the player side, death happens and has to be dealt with. Think of a True Neutral (or LN) Hades cleric as the D&D world's equivalent of a mortician. His job is regarded by most as icky, but he's not necessarily a bad guy. He's taking care of an unpleasant but necessary task.

I don't remember what 2E Deities and Demigods had to say about Hades and undead (i.e. whether creating undead was A-OK with Hades as a way to extend his dominion, or a foul abomination circumventing his rightful authority.)

Zonugal
2013-09-14, 06:07 PM
Hades is the god of death and wealth, sounds like he's perfect for a D&D adventurer...

rexreg
2013-09-14, 11:17 PM
the title of this thread is Greco-Roman
everything mentioned has been Greco
if your DM allows 3rd party stuff, Green Ronin published a book called Eternal Rome that is a d20 book...it has a chapter on the Roman interpretation of the gods

Alleran
2013-09-14, 11:20 PM
On the god side, Hades is a jerk in most of the myths, but so is Zeus.
Hades is probably one of the nicest of the gods. He's mostly concerned with maintaining the laws separating life and death, and ensuring that "the trains run on time" (for lack of a better term). He's known for always playing by the rules (e.g. before he took Persephone he asked for her father's permission, and he usually doesn't sleep around like the rest of his family), and just as often bending those rules to give mortal heroes a fair chance (e.g. bending them to let Orpheus have a chance of getting Eurydice back, or letting Herakles take Cerberus).

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-14, 11:50 PM
Hades is probably one of the nicest of the gods. He's mostly concerned with maintaining the laws separating life and death, and ensuring that "the trains run on time" (for lack of a better term). He's known for always playing by the rules (e.g. before he took Persephone he asked for her father's permission, and he usually doesn't sleep around like the rest of his family), and just as often bending those rules to give mortal heroes a fair chance (e.g. bending them to let Orpheus have a chance of getting Eurydice back, or letting Herakles take Cerberus).

Ya, I don't get why Hades is NE. LN sounds more likely

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-15, 12:53 AM
It's entirely because there's only one other NE god. Nothing about his description is evil at all; he's just that way to make up numbers. It's like how in the regular Greyhawk pantheon, St. Cuthbert is Lawful Neutral, despite being the god of truth, discipline, wisdom, common sense and honesty, all of which are considered virtues. The only other LN god is Wee Jas and not every Lawful Neutral character wants to worship the goddess of death magic.

Thanatosia
2013-09-15, 03:30 AM
I dunno, I've always considered St Cuthbert to be a god with a "Javert" (from Les Mis) type outlook... the stern and harsh god who puts way more emphasis on order and the law then compassion or mercy. Much like the plane he resides on, while he leans noticably more towards the 'good' side of lawful neutral, he his far far far more dedicated to 'law' then 'good'.