PDA

View Full Version : Concentration and endurance running

Eladrinblade
2013-09-14, 06:42 PM
Why doesn't the concentration skill have anything to do with running distance?
Or autohypnosis at least?

Rubik
2013-09-14, 08:11 PM
Or autohypnosis at least?It's consciously using the process of psychosomatic response to override the body's limits.

TuggyNE
2013-09-14, 08:22 PM
Or autohypnosis at least?

I was about to say, "Autohypnosis can totally be used for that!" but then I looked it up and there's no way to ignore fatigue. Seriously, WotC? :smallsigh:

Not totally sure if Concentration as such is really well suited to that, though, since in its current form it's almost entirely about ignoring external distractions enough to finish a task, not ignoring conditions that would prevent a task's completion. (Put another way, spellcasters should certainly not be the best long-distance runners.)

Eladrinblade
2013-09-14, 11:25 PM
ignoring external distractions

Like a sword to the face?

not ignoring conditions that would prevent a task's completion.

I'm not trying to troll you, I just think that pain is pain, regardless of where it comes from. If a sword to the face can't stop you from doing something, why should a little subdual damage (or fatigue)?

(Put another way, spellcasters should certainly not be the best long-distance runners.)

Well, look at real long-distance runners, they're often skinny, bony types with a little bit of hard core-muscle (like most spellcasters are portrayed as). I know that soldiers in the military are required to do long runs, but that's with a bunch of gear added on (AKA, do you have high enough con and str?), not just a "how far can you run?" type thing that marathon runners do.

I think that an 18 con warblade with maxed concentration should be able to run farther than the 14 con wizard with maxed concentration, despite the warblade being a huge hulk of a dude and the wizard being relatively skinny, but the wizard should be able to run farther than the 18 con fighter who has never trained his mind and body specifically to ignore pain.

Is my point getting across to anybody?

Deophaun
2013-09-14, 11:40 PM
I'm not trying to troll you, I just think that pain is pain, regardless of where it comes from.
Pain is pain, but pain is not fatigue. Pain is an emotional response to a stimulus. Fatigue is the inability of your muscles to continue working because of lack of energy/chemical interference preventing them from contracting. It requires chemistry to overcome, not discipline.

TuggyNE
2013-09-15, 12:13 AM

Yes.

No, because a sword to the face does not itself stop you from casting, picking a lock, or thinking hard, it merely distracts you. (With great vigor.)

If your muscles seize up, or your lungs can't get enough air, or something else, well, that directly affects your ability to run.

I think that an 18 con warblade with maxed concentration should be able to run farther than the 14 con wizard with maxed concentration, despite the warblade being a huge hulk of a dude and the wizard being relatively skinny, but the wizard should be able to run farther than the 18 con fighter who has never trained his mind and body specifically to ignore pain.

But what kind of lamesauce fighter has never trained to ignore pain or fatigue? :smallconfused: Seriously now.

This is why Concentration is a bad choice of skill, because it makes Fighters and Barbarians not only less likely, but less able to train to run far compared to Wizards and Sorcerers, or even a Paladin (and Paladins get a special mount! why would they be running?). In fact, the more I think about it, the worse it seems.

Instead, refit Autohypnosis into the right classes and give it the needed special ability (and maybe some others that martials can use to make training it worthwhile).

Spuddles
2013-09-15, 12:16 AM
the 18 con fighter who has never trained his mind and body specifically to ignore pain.

I see that you don't play sport nor do you know any athletes.

Eladrinblade
2013-09-15, 12:31 AM
I should have known better.