View Full Version : Starting a new game

Lukethefluffy
2013-09-14, 08:11 PM
Hello there! I am still fairly new to D&D and was curious if anyone here would help me to make a powerful build? I don't really care how crazy powerful(or not) the character is I just don't want to be left behind by other experienced characters and 7 other people will be playing which we aren't allowed to tell each other our builds until the game actually starts.

I have access to everything except vile, psionics and fighter/rogue/wizard, everything else is fair game except only base races allowed and I start off at level 8 with 20k gold to spend, 32 point build

As for where I want to go, I want to be a damage dealer pretty much, I don't care too much about ac as long as I don't just go squish

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-14, 08:18 PM
If you're starting at level 8 and want to be 'powerful', all you have to do is play a full caster (eg. cleric, wizard, druid). There's not much you need to do besides that. If the other players in your group are much more experienced, then the power level of your character isn't going to make as much of a difference - experience will generally trump raw power. Keep in mind that flexibility is generally more useful than straight-up power; the three classes above combine the best of power and flexibility.

Edit: If you're just looking to keep up with the other players, then not knowing everyone else's build works against you. It's easiest to have fun when other player's aren't stepping on your toes and doing the things that your character is built to do. In this case, I recommend playing either a druid or a cleric - both will allow you to easily change your role so that you can be good at whatever everyone else isn't.

Deaxsa
2013-09-14, 09:24 PM
If you're starting at level 8 and want to be 'powerful', all you have to do is play a full caster (eg. cleric, wizard, druid). There's not much you need to do besides that. If the other players in your group are much more experienced, then the power level of your character isn't going to make as much of a difference - experience will generally trump raw power. Keep in mind that flexibility is generally more useful than straight-up power; the three classes above combine the best of power and flexibility.

Edit: If you're just looking to keep up with the other players, then not knowing everyone else's build works against you. It's easiest to have fun when other player's aren't stepping on your toes and doing the things that your character is built to do. In this case, I recommend playing either a druid or a cleric - both will allow you to easily change your role so that you can be good at whatever everyone else isn't.

i second the druid/cleric option. easy to be good, versatile enough to spend your time doing things others are not. if playing a cleric (and to a lesser extent druid) be very wary of becoming a healbot, it's really not fun.

Lukethefluffy
2013-09-14, 09:32 PM
Alright, so a cleric or druid, go straight cleric/druid or take prcs along the way?

Lateral
2013-09-14, 09:33 PM
Depends which one. If druid, go straight. If cleric, prestige out.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-14, 09:46 PM
Good places to start are the Druid's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0) and the Cleric's Handbook (http://www.brilliantgameologists.com/boards/?topic=420.0).

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-14, 09:46 PM
Druid will probably be the better choice. Your allies won't feel like you're obligated to heal for them, and you can always play a minimum of two roles at once - SNA/damage + anything else.

A good build for druid is probably Druid 20, with natural spell at lvl 6. All other feats are up to you.