PDA

View Full Version : Drow deity in Oots-verse?

Xanamir
2013-09-14, 08:30 PM
Hey guys,

Just something I was wondering about as I was rereading Start of Darkness. It's probably not a big spoiler, but I'll hide it to be on the safe side.

When Redcloak is discussing how the Dark One was able to become a god through the bloodshed caused by his followers, he also mentions how "certain powerful elves" were also able to become gods. Later, when Loki and Tiamat break ranks to side with the Dark One, it gets mentioned that the gods were welcoming to the new elven gods."

My question, then: has it been mentioned anywhere whether the drow have a god? Do they have someone included in this group of "ascended elves?" If not, do they have a version of Lolth in this universe?

Just wondering if it's ever been mentioned anywhere. If not, what's your rampant speculation on the matter?

Porthos
2013-09-14, 08:41 PM
In the 'Dragon Magazine' continuity there is reference to "those dark elf priestesses with the weird arachnid fetish". Not the same continuity, per se. But there is often cross polination between the two.

CRtwenty
2013-09-14, 09:20 PM
It's most likely Lolth, but since Lolth is trademarked by WoTC Rich can't directly reference her.

137beth
2013-09-14, 10:02 PM
In the 'Dragon Magazine' continuity there is reference to "those dark elf priestesses with the weird arachnid fetish". Not the same continuity, per se. But there is often cross polination between the two.

Yea, this is probably the best hint we have about Lolth existing in OOTS.

Raenir Salazar
2013-09-14, 10:05 PM
A little sad, she was definitely one of the more interesting deities in Forgotten Realms in the "Actually gets up and does stuff" department.

Newwby
2013-09-14, 10:16 PM
I think it's a moonlight-tinged GENIUS (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2003/04/12/episode-272-mind-games/)

Heksefatter
2013-09-15, 03:34 AM
We know next to nothing about the Elven pantheon. Apart from what's been mentioned, the only thing I think is known is that there are gods of knowledge, since V has stated that he worships those.

Presumably if there isn't a specifically drow deity, the drow have just found someone suitably nasty in the general Elven pantheon.

ti'esar
2013-09-15, 05:04 AM
My assumption has always been that one of the ascended elven gods is functionally a Stickverse version or "expy" of Lolth, but that this isn't going to come up in the comic due both to copyright issues and the fact that drow civilization isn't relevant to the story.

Bulldog Psion
2013-09-15, 05:51 AM
Probably Lulth or Loolth or something. :smallbiggrin:

Klear
2013-09-15, 06:02 AM
Wait, LoLth? Seriously? That's hilarious =)

JustIgnoreMe
2013-09-15, 11:30 AM
It'll clearly be Olthlay, from Yamara.

(Being a Brit and thus not knowing Pig Latin, that joke took me years to get).

Ramien
2013-09-15, 02:41 PM
My assumption has always been that one of the ascended elven gods is functionally a Stickverse version or "expy" of Lolth, but that this isn't going to come up in the comic due both to copyright issues and the fact that drow civilization isn't relevant to the story.

Isn't relevant yet. It's a safe bet we'll be seeing the dwarven homelands at some point soon, and the conflict with the trees can only give us so much story - and Serini/Kraagor's gate is implied to be an underground complex, and we know those attract drow like a sale on cobwebs at a Halloween store.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-09-16, 10:57 AM
If Z was still about, I'd think we'd see a small scene in drow territory while the LG regrouped. Not happening now, of course.

t209
2013-09-16, 11:02 AM
If they have scene from Drow territories,
Will they (http://drowtales.com/) be referenced?
So
A. A hot drow with leather outfits (mmmmmm, leather).
B. A Spider
C. Eldritch Abomination, like Ground based Cthulhu
D. A Mole, or any underground creatures.

F.Harr
2013-09-16, 12:36 PM
It'll clearly be Olthlay, from Yamara.

(Being a Brit and thus not knowing Pig Latin, that joke took me years to get).

I'm an American and I didn't get it either until you pointed it out.

If they have scene from Drow territories,
Will they (http://drowtales.com/) be referenced?
So
A. A hot drow with leather outfits (mmmmmm, leather).
B. A Spider
C. Eldritch Abomination, like Ground based Cthulhu
D. A Mole, or any underground creatures.

Who wouldn't want to worship a mole?

quasit
2013-09-17, 01:52 PM

...yet.
It's quite a stretch of mine, but the elven gods as well as the drow were mentioned before in comic (thought not being depicted yet) and they even got fruit baskets from Tarquin! It could be otherwise ofc, but it looks a bit like foreshadowing, doesn't it? Also dwarves and caverns.

Back on topic it would depend on how the Drow of the oostverse are (about whom readers do not know much but they having not too good rep). Evil kin people that live as well as they could under a very harsh and ruthless government or caste system or directly compelled (magically or otherwise) to obey his evil deity's wims? Lolth expy, mainly. Rebellious heroes that fight to trow off the reputation of their evil kind Free willed people? Anybody (including lolth): D&D drows can worship and even have non-evil deities on his own panteon.

Psyren
2013-09-17, 05:11 PM
Yea, this is probably the best hint we have about Lolth existing in OOTS.

But if their religion is considered "a weird fetish" that implies she doesn't exist, and they're just crazy spider-worshippers.

CletusMusashi
2013-09-17, 05:34 PM
The Drow are an unpeakably evil race. Therefore, they worship Celine Dion. Where else would Thog have gotten that record from?

brionl
2013-09-17, 05:42 PM
Probably Lulth or Loolth or something. :smallbiggrin:

I'm going with Shmolth.

Castamir
2013-09-17, 05:44 PM
It's most likely Lolth, but since Lolth is trademarked by WoTC Rich can't directly reference her.
YAFGC had Lolth as a prominent supporting character for quite a while, so I don't think even a company as litigious as WoTC would allow that but not a mere lookalike.

F.Harr
2013-09-18, 10:00 AM
I liked this episode.

http://yafgc.net/?id=2

Damon_Tor
2013-09-18, 12:04 PM
YAFGC had Lolth as a prominent supporting character for quite a while, so I don't think even a company as litigious as WoTC would allow that but not a mere lookalike.

There's a lot of throwing around words like "trademark" and "copyright" in this thread, but very little understanding of what those words mean. Copyright is totally meaningless in this context. Trademark law doesn't apply here because 1) trademarks do not work that way and 2) parody is protected speech. Companies can (and do) throw their weight around in the defense of their trademarks and many people will capitulate with their demands because defending themselves in court is a hassle and can be expensive, even if you are totally in the right.

Thrax
2013-09-18, 02:16 PM
She's called Lmaoth.

malloyd
2013-09-18, 10:03 PM
Given that substituting the vowels is a pretty ordinary thing in both Semitic languages and magical texts, I rather suspect the name Lolth was pulled off a list of actual demons somewhere, as a variation of Lilith, though the spider motif is probably original to Vault of the Drow.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-09-18, 11:44 PM
2) parody is protected speech.

Well, the drow certainly do know about that (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html). (Yet, Z barely resembles whoever it was he was trying to rip off...)