PDA

View Full Version : Can you... just leave a vestige hanging ?

ko_sct
2013-09-14, 11:02 PM
So, reading pact magic, I was wondering if you were allowed to summon but not bind a vestige for an extended period of time.

It says in the book that when you summon a vestige, you must address it within 1 round or it will disappear and that making a pact take 1 min. But is it possible to summon a vestige, address it (like, say hello for example), and then simply NOT make a pact ? So the vestige can just hang around for as long as it want ?

chronomatophobe
2013-09-14, 11:08 PM
One could reasonably assume it vanishes if it's not properly "addressed" (which I've always assumed was the obvious first step of making a pact. You have to say "Hello") within the given time frame. One should reasonably assume one is not the only entity addressing it at the time, and that it will not waste itself on the unready.

Imagine telephoning a celebrity, if no one is sure the celebrity exists except a cult you're a part of.

Slipperychicken
2013-09-14, 11:25 PM
So, you want to use odd rituals to call forth the powers of forgotten mystic beings who teeter on the edge of nonexistence... and prank-call them.

That is ridiculously awesome :smallbiggrin:

Perhaps you could deliberately delay/extend pact negotiations?

Vinyl Scratch
2013-09-14, 11:45 PM
Will you use Ghost Sound for "on hold on the phone" elevator music?

ko_sct
2013-09-15, 12:49 AM
Well, I realize you can't actually force them to stay here, but what if they didn't mind ? like the scenery is real nice or something ?

The funny thing is that the book mention they are so desperate for the taste of reality that they will always answer a call, soo, i guess even if you can't leave them hanging for more than a single round, you can prank call them every minute or so and they'll answer.... Anyone know a way to make seals faster ? I know there's a feat and a magic item, but they are both 1/day only, I'm really looking for more efficient trolling here.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-15, 01:05 AM
So, you want to use odd rituals to call forth the powers of forgotten mystic beings who teeter on the edge of nonexistence... and prank-call them.

That is ridiculously awesome :smallbiggrin:

Perhaps you could deliberately delay/extend pact negotiations?

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/257/4/c/him_prank_calls_by_tvtyrant-d6mcy4o.png

Flickerdart
2013-09-15, 01:08 AM
Well, I realize you can't actually force them to stay here, but what if they didn't mind ? like the scenery is real nice or something ?

The funny thing is that the book mention they are so desperate for the taste of reality that they will always answer a call, soo, i guess even if you can't leave them hanging for more than a single round, you can prank call them every minute or so and they'll answer.... Anyone know a way to make seals faster ? I know there's a feat and a magic item, but they are both 1/day only, I'm really looking for more efficient trolling here.
They're desperate to be real. The thing you see is but a shadow that can neither feel nor act upon the real world without being bound to a physical creature. Imagine if you really wanted some candy, and your dad took you to the candy store, but then wouldn't buy it for you. How much would you enjoy that experience?

The Viscount
2013-09-15, 01:26 AM
Note that the vestiges themselves might not actually appear, as the manifestation is explicitly stated to be an illusion.