PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon-'Claw, first draft (Cardinal System homebrew)

Rakaydos
2013-09-14, 11:13 PM
Dungeon 'Claw is my attempt to convert the Cardinal ruleset (used in a few lesser known games like Ironclaw, Nogglestones and Myriad Song) for a D&D like tolkin-fantasy setting. I will be basing this mostly on Ironclaw.

Cardinal Core mechanic: Cardinal is a skill based system, but instead of modifiers from different sources, you get larger or smaller dice (d4 through d12) in your dice pool. Someone with a d10 body can swing a sword better than somone with a D6 body, but someone with a D4 body, 3 points in the melee combat skill (D8), and a D6 Carear of Paladin will probably be more sucessful... and FAR less likely to botch. (you botch if all your dice come up 1)

There are two resolution mechanics- Vs 3, and Opposed.
Vs 3 is a simple dice pool roll- everything that's 4 or higher is a success. (things anyone could do require 1 success, "Trained only" requires 2 successes, "Masters only" requires 3 successes)
Opposed is an opposed roll- each side rolls their dice pool and whichever side has the highest number showing, gets a number of successes equal to the dice higher than ANY of the opposing dice. (if the highest dice tie, the opposed check ties.)

In the Cardinal system, every race and every class has 3 associated skills and 2 or 3 (depending on which system) feats. (for this homebrew, I will be balancing around 3 feats) For instance, a Fighter might get the Feats of Endurance, Resolve, and Veteran, and get their class die to the skills of Melee Combat, Ranged Combat, and Tactics. A Paladin, on the other hand, might get the feats of Resolve, Literacy, and Apprentice White Magic and the skills of Leadership, Melee combat, and Academics. (note that the fighter could easilly take the feat of Apprentice White magic when he earns one- they are not class exclusive)

If you want to help with this homebrew, I will be using feats ("Gifts") from the Ironclaw game (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/103569/IRONCLAW-Players-Book), perhaps tweaking the magic system slightly. Feel free to give suggestions, but I'm going to be trying to stay within the bounds of the existing system.

What are the most iconic classes and races of D+D, and what are their signature capabilities, in your opinion?

Rakaydos
2013-09-15, 12:29 PM
Human: Gifts of Tracking, Animal Handling, Hiking (bonuses to long distance travel)
Apply Human racial trait to the skills of Gossip, Inquiry, Negotiation

Humans are naturallly suited toward tribal interactions and journeys over great expances of open ground.

Dwarf: Gifts of Spelunking, Carousing, Night Vision
Apply Dwarf Racial trait to Digging/Stonework, Crafts, Endurance

Dwarves have a natual affinity with caves, booze, stonework, and smithing. (though I'm thinking of splitting Crafts: Simple from Crafts: mechanics)

Elf: Gift of Increased Trait: Carear, History, Sure Footed.
Apply Elf Racial trait to Negotiation, Jumping, and Stealth

Elves are long lived, and spend decades improving their grace and knowlege.