PDA

View Full Version : Becoming and outsider and aging

Yogibear41
2013-09-15, 01:36 AM
There are alot of classes who's capstones turn you into outsiders, and while I can't seem to find something in black and white on the matter I know outsiders generally either have incredibly long life spans or are basically ageless. So my question would be say a human gains the outsider type from say divine-crusader
what effect would that have on his maximum age category?

Flickerdart
2013-09-15, 01:44 AM
None. Native outsiders are mortal.

Yogibear41
2013-09-15, 03:50 AM
I read somewhere that there were these half-celestials (native outsiders) that served this god or something for over 1000 years. Seems like becoming a native outsider should give you some kind of extended life span.

Bhaakon
2013-09-15, 06:00 AM
I read somewhere that there were these half-celestials (native outsiders) that served this god or something for over 1000 years. Seems like becoming a native outsider should give you some kind of extended life span.

Native outsiders come in many flavors, some of which live a long time, but there's nothing intrinsic to the being or becoming a native outside that extends a character's lifespan. You'd need additional text to do that, like "At level 20 you become a native outside and stop aging."

Both humans and elves are mortal humanoids, but a human doesn't live nearly as long as an elf. The common creature type means that both species share a host of similarities listed in the creature type description, but lifespan isn't one of them.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-15, 06:03 AM
Fun fact: Eladrins, who are unquestionably 'proper' Outsiders, die of old age.

It takes thousands of years for them to do it, but it happens! So, really, there's nothing intrinsic to the Outsider type that makes you immortal.

Yogibear41
2013-09-16, 01:43 AM
Well it was less about becoming immortal, and more about living more than one hundred years and still staying in your prime one would say(as a human)

Souju
2013-09-16, 03:28 AM
I know that the pathfinder native outsiders (tieflings, aasimar, undine, ifrit, sylph, oread) age and eventually can die of old age...but they're very long-lived. To put the scale in perspective, a humans "maximum" starting age via dice rolls is 27, while a native outsider's is 108
However, Pathfinder native outsiders are quite different from 3.5 outsiders in that they have actual rules and societies. Also, PF tieflings get the shaft compared to aasimar but that's another rant.

CRtwenty
2013-09-16, 03:30 AM
Well it was less about becoming immortal, and more about living more than one hundred years and still staying in your prime one would say(as a human)

Very few options are available if you want to stay human, almost all of the examples I've seen require you to turn into something else. Generally though simply turning into an Outsider doesn't change your lifespan unless it specifically states otherwise. There's plently of "Outsiders" that age, just ask the Giths.

GreenSerpent
2013-09-16, 04:12 AM
Not an outsider, but Elans are one of the few D&D races that are truly immortal. And they're made from humans...

Crake
2013-09-16, 04:44 AM
If i recall correctly, most of the classes don't ACTUALLY make you an outsider, but simply make you count as an outsider for the purpose of spells and abilities