PDA

View Full Version : What is that damn song?! It's Darren Hanlon's All These Things!

Serpentine
2013-09-15, 09:00 AM
GRARGH. I've been trying to remember this song for MONTHS and it's giving me the irrits! Halp, plox?

I saw it on Rage* a couple of times. It's a sweet little indie duet, between a man and a woman. The "band" name was something like [boy's name] and [girl's name] - I got the impression that it was a once-off collaboration rather than an ongoing partnership, but I could be mistaken. The video clip had the two singers going through a series of scenes like a play or pantomime - at one point they're "driving" in a cardboard car; at another she's at the top of a ladder while he kneels below in a sort of Romeo and Juliet scene.
Every time I try to remember the tune, I get "Anyone Else But You" by Moldy Peaches stuck in my head - I think it has a similar sound, but it's not that one.
Sound familiar to anyone? :smallfrown:

*Australian music video show. Good stuff, you should watch it.

Sunfall
2013-09-15, 09:21 AM
Hmmm. Do you remember approximately when you saw it on Rage? They've got all their playlists online...

And do you remember what it was about? What the two singers looked like? That might help narrow it down...

Your description of the video reminded me of Mrs. Greenbird, who tend to have episodic music videos with cardboard props (like here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTxALK5Nad8)), but seeing as they're a comparatively unknown German duo, it's highly unlikely.

Serpentine
2013-09-15, 09:30 AM
Not with any certainty, no - months and months, at least. And no, that's not it, although it's not entirely dissimilar in sound.

edit: The guy was fairly ordinary looking. Short hair, I think clean-shaven, maybe a bit on the soft-around-the-middle side but not fat. The girl was pretty, but normal looking, I think with mid-long straight hair. They may have been Australian, but I'm not sure. I vaguely recall something about the man being a solo singer-songwriter.
I can't remember enough of the words or clip to say exactly what it was about. I think it was similar in theme to Anybody Else But You, with a sort of discussion of everything that was wrong with the relationship and each other but how good they were together anyway. There's a line of it that's right on the tip of my brain, about people being out for the girl or something, but it keeps getting overrun by Moldy Peaches...

Oh, I think at one point the girl had an umbrella and there was fake rain, and I think there were stagehands running around setting up all the props.

Sunfall
2013-09-15, 10:19 AM
That's quite some info :smallsmile: The umbrella tickles my memory, but I can't quite remember why.

That said, the singer-songwriter bits and everything you said about the lyrics give me a strong "Somebody I used to know" vibe (Gotye feat. Kimbra), but the video, of course, is nothing like you describe.

It's not anything from Angus and Julia Stone, is it? They're Australian and their videos seem to have that kind of style... (Although the guy -in a good way- looks anything but normal and clean-shaven.)

And, totally unrelated: Found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdZvYwP-kiw) while sifting through the Rage playlists. While it's got next to nothing to do with your description, I find it quite epic :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2013-09-15, 10:37 AM
Heh. No, it's definitely not Gotye - I'd know it if it was.
I think A&JS has been raised as a possibility before, but having a quick look on Youtube doesn't look right.
It was a really bright, cheerful, silly little song, and definitely a love song (as opposed to Somebody I Used To Know).
I also could very well be mistaken about them being Australian. Although, as you've seen, it's always worth going through Aussie music anyway :smallwink: I think I've heard that song on JJJ a couple of times... Never actually listened to the words before, though.
Blarg. I seem to recall the guy being Kind Of A Big Deal, too, but I could be wrong or it could just be within the genre or within Australia or within JJJ...

edit: Okay, imagine this sort of video clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3u_YRY-PSw) (except more theatrey - as in, actually on a stage and I think complete with curtains - and with a greater focus on the two singers) to something like this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBMF0BqDrU) or else Noah and the Whale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8YCSJpF4g4). Also that guy is adorable I want him to smile at me forever.

Serpentine
2013-09-15, 11:02 AM
Well, I was reminded that Coin Laundry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90DflEOXi9E) exists, so it's not a complete wash.

Serpentine
2013-09-15, 11:52 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I FOUND IT I FOUND IT :D

It's a sweet little indie duet, between a man and a woman.Yep.

The "band" name was something like [boy's name] and [girl's name]Nope, just the guy's name, apparently. Must've just heard them refer to the girl when it played on the radio.

I got the impression that it was a once-off collaboration rather than an ongoing partnership, but I could be mistaken.Not sure, can't find any info on the girl, but it looks like it's usually just him.

The video clip had the two singers going through a series of scenes like a play or pantomime - at one point they're "driving" in a cardboard car;Bam.

at another she's at the top of a ladder while he kneels below in a sort of Romeo and Juliet scene.Nearly - the ladder's there, but he's on it, not her.

Every time I try to remember the tune, I get "Anyone Else But You" by Moldy Peaches stuck in my head - I think it has a similar sound, but it's not that one.Kind of similar.

The guy was fairly ordinary looking. Short hair, I think clean-shaven, maybe a bit on the soft-around-the-middle side but not fat. The girl was pretty, but normal looking, I think with mid-long straight hair. They may have been Australian, but I'm not sure. I vaguely recall something about the man being a solo singer-songwriter.Bullseye on all scores.

I can't remember enough of the words or clip to say exactly what it was about. I think it was similar in theme to Anybody Else But You, with a sort of discussion of everything that was wrong with the relationship and each other but how good they were together anyway.Maybe, sort of...

There's a line of it that's right on the tip of my brain, about people being out for the girl or something, but it keeps getting overrun by Moldy Peaches...Things "following" her - close enough.

Oh, I think at one point the girl had an umbrella and there was fake rain,Fake snow, no umbrella.

and I think there were stagehands running around setting up all the props.Yep, lots!

It was a really bright, cheerful, silly little song, and definitely a love song (as opposed to Somebody I Used To Know).Deffo. Well, actually... So-so on the love song bit.

I also could very well be mistaken about them being Australian.Yep, he's Aussie!

Blarg. I seem to recall the guy being Kind Of A Big Deal, too, but I could be wrong or it could just be within the genre or within Australia or within JJJ...Kind of, on the Aussie scene.

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!
The song I was looking for was...
*rumblerumblerumblerumble*
All These Things by Darren Hanlon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwsWs0sImwk)!

Sunfall
2013-09-15, 11:56 AM
Heh. No, it's definitely not Gotye - I'd know it if it was.

Yeah, I figured as much, but it didn't hurt to throw it out there. Fascinating how that song went around the globe. BTW, Gotye's other videos are quite the must-see, too.

Haven't found anything else yet that could fit, though. But I learned a lot today :smallbiggrin: Never twigged that Nick Cave was Australian... Laughed out loud at Rage featuring Einstürzende Neubauten. And found out about Simone & Girlfunkle and Jep & Dep. Not bad, not bad at all :smallcool:

Well, I was reminded that Coin Laundry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90DflEOXi9E) exists, so it's not a complete wash.

That's nice, too :smallsmile: Great, now I have "My Freeze Ray"stuck in my head...

+++

Edit: Ninja'd!

Congrats on finding that little gem! I hate to have a song in my head that I can't remember well enough to easily find... It took me years to find Cool T's "Magic Key" with only the sample and a vague memory of the video in my head.

Serpentine
2013-09-15, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I figured as much, but it didn't hurt to throw it out there. Fascinating how that song went around the globe. BTW, Gotye's other videos are quite the must-see, too.Believe me, I'm well familiar with Gotye :smallwink: You know apparently Somebody I Used To Know is the second-most internationally played Australian song, after Highway To Hell by ACDC? Weird.

Sunfall
2013-09-15, 12:08 PM
Aahahahaaa! They marketed him as a Belgian musician over here, working with that singer-songwriter from New Zealand. *Looks at Wikipedia entry* Well of course you are familiar with him...

Go on, go on, nothing to see here... :smallredface:

Serpentine
2013-09-16, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your help :smallsmile:
Sadly, I don't quite like that song as much as I thought I did :smallsigh: