PDA

View Full Version : [Gift] Mirrored Scales

ArmorArmadillo
2006-12-24, 05:51 PM
This is a wondrous item that requires a bit of careful management by the DM, but I think it could put a special twist on any game that no simple Spell-Like ability or numeric bonus could.

The Halfling caravan thanks you furiously for saving them from the tribe of Kobolds. They hand over some gold, and you smile and prepare to leave. "You know," a sultry, abliet small, voice calls out, "there's something else we can give you for your, unique services." Shaking off her use of innuendo to describe a situation involving Kobolds, you turn to the small, gypsyeque, woman who called back to you. In exchange for the gold they would have given you, she hands over a tiny pair of platinum Scales suspended on a necklace. Smiling, you leave.
"Thank the Gods you finally got rid of that thing," the leader says to the smiling sorceress. "Whatever you say," she responds, "I'll still miss them."

Mirrored Scales
These Scales can tip the Cosmos in, or out, of your favor.
Description: This necklace bears a platinum pair of unbalanced Merchant's Scales encrusted with diamonds on the right scale and onyx on the left scale.
Activation: The Scales are activated by switching the balance from one side to the other. The player can switch the weight from heavy on the left to heavy on the right as a swift action that requires one open hand. The DM can switch the scales from heavy on the right to heavy on the left as a immediate action.
The Scales must be weighted on the correct side for the individual to shift them.
Effect: By shifting the weight of the Scales to the right, the player can immediately request "Luck" from the DM, who must immediately produce an effect equivalent to Telekenesis that shifts the player's situation to his favor.
However, while the scales are weighted to the right, the DM can shift them back to create a similar effect that shifts the situation out of the favor of the player, or players.
Aura/Caster Level: Moderate Transmutation. CL 12th.
Construction: Craft Wondrous Item, cheat, bestow curse, telekenesis, 9,000 gp, 720 XP, 18 days.
Weight: 1 lb.
Price: 18,000

I know many DMs will shrug at the thought of introducing something that requires on the spot decision-making, but I like to think that that is what will make this a memorable item.

You could also make it a very minor item and make the effect cheat, but that isn't very memorable.

::Edit for story syntax::

Bearofbadnews
2006-12-25, 08:20 AM
I am interested in the consequences of using this item in-game, but I haven't decided how I feel. And I might be a little confused too. I do have a few ideas to spruce up the fiction though.

*"Handing over some gold, you smile and prepare to leave."

You've got a problematic sentence there, unless our unnamed narrator routinely pays for the pleasure of beating up kobolds. Which might clue me in to the innuendo reference...

*I believe it is albeit, just a little typo.

*The sudden switch in POV ought to at least be broken up by a line break, if not reconsidered.

Those are just a few things that caught my eye. Cool concept.

ArmorArmadillo
2006-12-25, 02:14 PM
You were payed by some Halflings to protect them from Kobolds, but gave them back the gold to instead take the Scales.

Really, the ultimate idea I'm trying to get across is an item that can help you, but each time you use it you open the DM to turn it back on to you.

Bearofbadnews
2006-12-25, 06:12 PM
Ok, cool. I don't think your fiction is communicating that right now, though. Especially because the first time the reader hears about an exchange it is brought up by the halfling sorceress, after you've handed them a bunch of gold (which we have no indication that they gave you). And the narrator seems to be getting ready to leave before he gets the item he substituted for. I just think it might help out the entry to have the flavor-stuff be a little clearer.

How do the scales shift back? The DM does it, right?
Do you mean this literally, for example, our Dashing Hero moves the (lead?mythril?copper?) weight to the diamonds side, thus tipping the cosmos in his favor. Just then he gets news from a messenger that his wicked uncle has died, leaving him a title and lands. For the next few weeks he enjoys his newfound wealth and status until-- what?

*his new bride on the day of their wedding accidentally switches the scales? (the retributory bad luck occurs when the scales are physically switched, in-game, though this will happen through some means eventually, by accident or malign intent of others)

*he wakes one day to find his lands in flames, his peasants rebelling, in fact they've just managed to break into the manor-- looking for a Lord to swing from the gallows. he notices the weight has switched sides, now the onyx side bears the balance's weight.
(the retributory bad luck occurs when the weight magically shifts after a period of time)

A few worries-
What keeps a player from using the scales and then handing them off to some other fool to reap the consequences (aka how do we know who the "owner" is)?

How often can this be used (aka what keeps a PC from tipping the scale in their favor and then simply waiting for things to go bad, so they can tip it in their favor again?)

No matter what, this item will require close supervision by a DM... these issues probably need to be handled if even that is going to be successful.

ArmorArmadillo
2006-12-25, 11:25 PM
I noticed an error in the story that I fixed.

There's no weights, it's that the pendant is on a fulcrum, and one side will always be lower than the other, representing where weight would be on a scale.
As for how the switch works, here are the examples I think of:
The gnolls close in on the group, vastly outnumbering them. The fighters charge, and the sorcerer slings magic missles, but their sheer numbers seem unstoppable. Sensing no other choice, the rogue pushes the onyx scale of her pendant upwards, shifting the balance to the right. Suddenly, the mortar above them seems to weaken, and a small cave in occurs, causing bricks to fall on the gnolls, killing several and restricting their movement.

Later, the group watches with bated breath as the rogue picks the complicated lock, delicately evading the trap placed on it. She feels around carefully, confident that she can work this out. Suddenly, she feels a movement on her chest, and looks down to find the sides of her pendant shift, pushing the balance back to the Onyx on her left. Suddenly, she hears a loud snap and the finds that her lockpick has broken off in her hand, and begins to hear the steady hiss of poison coming from the door.

The shift to "Bad Luck" is on DM fiat. The idea is that using it puts the player in a position to be hurt later, but the DM using it gives the player the opportunity to take advantage later. Using is giving, both ways.

I've decided to change the effect from simple DM fiat to Telekenesis, so that it's more manageable, and less likely to be imbalanced between good/bad.