PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Pixie build

MilesDaFoo616
2013-09-15, 11:48 AM
So I had this idea for a character in D&D 3.5 that was a pixie that specializes in the use of Fighting using unarmed combat with punching, kicking, grabbing, ect. Although I'm having trouble deciding what classes to go for.

From what I'm aware when going unarmed putting some levels in monk would be a good idea but they are only lawful and I didn't really want to play a lawful character. then I saw this class battle dancer which is for chaotic characters but then I noticed that Pixies are only neutral good.

Any suggestions for what classes to take, or possibly even slightly different race that's for the most part similar.

Mainly what I'm trying to make is a size small or smaller fairy/pixie like character who is good at fighting unarmed.

LA or Racial traits that subtract strength shouldn't be a problem, I'll deal with them as the time comes.

Anyway thanks in advance

Snowbluff
2013-09-15, 11:51 AM
Swordsage would serve you well.

If you never intent to be larger, clever wrestler is quite good. The Girallon Arms soulmeld is generally the best source of grappling bonus, especially if you have totemist levels.

Anxe
2013-09-15, 11:54 AM
I was thinking Warlock with Hideous Blow, but I only have a few of the extra books. You'd also want to be getting weapon finesse to take advantage of your naturally high Dex. A way to get Dex to damage would be good too, but I don't know of one.

Zombulian
2013-09-15, 12:12 PM
I was thinking Warlock with Hideous Blow, but I only have a few of the extra books. You'd also want to be getting weapon finesse to take advantage of your naturally high Dex. A way to get Dex to damage would be good too, but I don't know of one.

Shadowhand discipline in TOB has maneuvers to give you Dex to damage, and one of the favored weapons of the discipline is unarmed strike, so you're golden.

MilesDaFoo616
2013-09-15, 12:48 PM
Swordsage would serve you well.

If you never intent to be larger, clever wrestler is quite good. The Girallon Arms soulmeld is generally the best source of grappling bonus, especially if you have totemist levels.

Thanks I wouldn't have guessed Swordsage would be useful but after finding the unarmed Variant I realized that this was exactly what I was looking for, not to mention the tons of options with stances and maneuvers, I can't wait to try this out.

WhamBamSam
2013-09-15, 12:56 PM
Don't go Monk or Unarmed Swordsage. Just take Superior Unarmed Strike, since for non-Monks it disregards size when determining your unarmed damage.

Assuming multiclass penalties aren't in effect (gods they're a pain for non-humans), Hit and Run Fighter 2 will snag you Improved Unarmed Strike and one other feat along with Dex to damage.

I'm not actually totally sure that this works myself, but the way Great Flyby Attack is written, the extra attack granted by the Snap Kick feat might apply against all targets.

Other than that, I'll second/third/nth a Shadow Hand focused Swordsage using Shadow Hand for Dex to unarmed damage. If the Great Flyby Attack trick I suggested works you can also use Swordsage to snag Girallion Windmill Flesh Rip, which will then deal 8d6 rend damage to everything you hit with both attacks.

zlefin
2013-09-15, 02:18 PM
while the LA cost is high; you could use a pixie with some additional templates. Several templates change alignment, so you can use them to change the alignment to what you want.
Half-dragon could work for that purpose.
I remember a polystalt game where I made a heavily templated pixie; man did that have silly stats.

Ruethgar
2013-09-15, 04:42 PM
I would agree that you should probably avoid monk and take Superior Unarmed Attack, though if you insist on monk the Chaos Monk is great because their flurry isn't as limited as the base version.

The Brawler Barbarian can work, automatic TWF with unarmed only and Improved Unarmed Attack, with the whirling frenzy and spirit lion variants tacked on it is a potent dip. Hit and run fighter is great, but I would also keep in mind the Pugilist Fighter for defense, Iron Jaw and Shake it Off are pretty nice abilities for reducing damage and synergize well with the barbarian's dependence on Con. If you want to be cheesy, get immunity to non-leathal damage and you can't die by getting hit.

Other than those, I would again suggest Swordsage with the Shadow Blade feat, though you could avoid it with two more feats(Martial Study, Martial Stance), that is up to you. If you don't mind that it wasn't intended to be serious content, the Cat Feats are pretty nice, namely Don't Mind Me to avoid AoOs for moving into people's space and Twining Trip to use dex to trip.

A one level dip into shapeshift druid would get you a constant +4 Str +4 AC and some wicked speed. It should be noted that strength is still important even with Shadow Blade because it adds dex in addition to strength. So -4 from strength +6 from dex would net you a bonus, but would be far from optimal. Rage and shapeshift would eliminate most/all of the negative.

Snowbluff
2013-09-15, 04:48 PM
Swordsages can trip with Dex as well.

Daer
2013-09-15, 04:55 PM
warlock with eldritch claws for unarmed and grappling blast [Dragon #358]for grappling

Snowbluff
2013-09-15, 05:10 PM
Beast Strike would add your Claws (Edritch Blast damage + Unarmed) to your unarmed attacks.

nedz
2013-09-15, 06:23 PM
Don't go Warlock — Hideous Blow, that invocation is well named since it blows hideously. Eldritch Claws or Eldritch Glaive are far better.

You could try a few levels of Sneak Fighter: Full BAB, d10 HD and sneak instead of fighter feats. It's a bit dull though.

Gavinfoxx
2013-09-15, 10:39 PM
I'd go all in for the Punching barbarian! Very good offense and mobility.

Here's how you do it:

1.) Be a Barbarian
2.) Take Whirling Frenzy (System Resource Document or Unearthed Arcana) or Ferocity (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
3.) Take Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion, this helps tripping significantly)
4.) Take Skilled City Dweller-ride for tumble (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
5.) Take City Brawler (Dragon Magazine #349)
6.) Take Streetfighter (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
7.) Get the feat Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle)
8.) Get a Monk's Belt (Dungeon Master's Guide or System Resource Document)
9.) Get a Necklace of Natural attacks (Savage Species, this lets you enchant unarmed strike with things beyond +#'s; very useful! You can get the smoking property to get a miss chance on your body, for example, or magebane or sure-striking!)
10.) Get a Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic)
11.) Take Snap Kick (Tome of Battle)
12.) Take mobility skill tricks of various sorts, especially to do with charging (Complete Scoundrel)
13.) You now have a fantastic and brutal, hard style mundane martial artist!