PDA

View Full Version : Converting Monster Math

originalginger
2013-09-15, 12:10 PM
So, I just recently got Monster Manual 3, Monster Vault, Dark Sun Creature Catalog, and Threats to Nentir Vale (as well as several other supplements not related to my question) for six bucks each at the used book store. After a few sessions with the new monsters, I am totally in agreement that the 'new math' is better, and leads to more engaging battles. This leads to my question.

Is there a reasonable way to convert the old monsters to the new math? There are lots of critters and NPC foes in MM1, MM2, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, various adventures, etc. that I want to use, but preferably with the updated system. Also, does this effect the system of raising and lowering monster levels, converting to elite or solo, and such as described in the DMG? If so how? Should I be converting 'ally creatures' such as pack horses and mounts that are found in the adventurer's vault as well?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Ashdate
2013-09-15, 12:23 PM
Is there a reasonable way to convert the old monsters to the new math?

Yes:

For MM1 and MM2 monsters, add 0.5 average damage per level. So for a level 10 monster, increase it's average damage by 5.

For MM1 Paragon tier Elites and Solos, reduce their hit points by 1/5, and reduce three of their defenses by 2.

originalginger
2013-09-15, 12:41 PM
Yes:

For MM1 and MM2 monsters, add 0.5 average damage per level. So for a level 10 monster, increase it's average damage by 5.

For MM1 Paragon tier Elites and Solos, reduce their hit points by 1/5, and reduce three of their defenses by 2.

That's it? I can make that happen in mere seconds! Thanks, it is much appreciated.

Surrealistik
2013-09-15, 01:07 PM
Solos have the HP of 4 Standards of their type (Brute, Artillery, etc), not 5.

Also, you should generally give MM1-2 Solos an additional turn/initiative count.

Ashdate
2013-09-15, 01:30 PM
Also, you should generally give MM1-2 Solos an additional turn/initiative count.

This is a good idea.

originalginger
2013-09-15, 07:27 PM
Thanks everyone, this helps immensely.