PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Build

Milionac
2013-09-15, 02:48 PM
I've heard Wizards are pretty overpowered, but I've never been able to really outshine anybody with one. I think the problem is that most of the builds I find online are geared towards very high level play, and so while trying to follow these builds I pretty much suck while leveling up.

What I'm looking for is a Batman-style Wizard build that will be pretty dependable as it levels. So even if it isn't as powerful as another build at level 20, I'd like it to be playable at any level.

Also appreciated, but not necessary, would be some basic spell combinations and survival strategies as it levels, because I am really really stupid and won't use the right things I can guarantee it.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-15, 03:03 PM
Full casters don't really shine until about level 5. Druids are good starting at 1, but I believe that they're the only one like that.

Doing a little bit of googling will find you many handbooks (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/09/wizards-handbook-part-one-attributes.html).

However, the quick answer is: prepare grease, colour spray, and a few other spells. Let your mooks fighters mop up.

Milionac
2013-09-15, 03:26 PM
Seems pretty solid. I've looked through the handbook you linked but it seems most of it is geared towards, as I mentioned above, end game character killing stuff. I can probably make use of Grease and Colour Spray though.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-15, 03:31 PM
Grease is one of the best spells you can cast, honestly. Your Rogue will love you if nothing else.

The best way to make a powerful Wizard is to help everyone else be awesome and/or make the enemy party less awesome. Don't try to kill things yourself, that's what the people with swords are for.

Silvanoshei
2013-09-15, 03:34 PM
This (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spells_That_Fvcking_Kill_People_(3.5e_Other)) may help a little! :belkar:

Milionac
2013-09-15, 03:36 PM
This (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spells_That_Fvcking_Kill_People_(3.5e_Other)) may help a little! :belkar:

From a brief glance...that list looks amazing!

ahenobarbi
2013-09-15, 04:01 PM
Gray Elf
Generalist Wizard 1

Take Elven Generalist Substitution levels from Races of the wild (exta highest level slot and other bonuses)
Take domain Wizars ACF from Arcana Unerathed (extra slots & spells known) (preferably Transmutation or Conjuration domain).
Feats:

1: Precautious Apprentience (Complete Arcane, page 181, not Feats section), take Flaming Sphere as the spell known.
1, flaw: Fiery burst (Complete Mage).

This should get you to level 5. You can deal 2d6 fire damage (reflex half) in 5ft burst with 30ft range to damage enemies. You can use your spells to stay alive.

Benign Transposition (level 1 spell, from Spell Compendium) lets you trade places with willing creature. Get a bunch of whatever animals trained to allow the effect and stay some distance from you. When in trouble switch places.

Unseen servant can carry a blanket. If it moves between enemies and you you'll be much safer.