PDA

View Full Version : Improved familiar + Urban Companion advancment.

Snig
2013-09-15, 03:50 PM
Hey everyone, I have a question regarding my character and his familiars

At level one I would like to take a druid level with the ACF "Urban Companion" which bascially gives me a familiar similar to that of a sorcerer that shares my BAB and 3/4 of my HP.

at level 2 I would like to start progressing as a Battle Sorcerer. I would gain a 2nd familiar (slightly weaker then my urban companion) and continue on to level 3 where hopefully my plan will come to life.

At level 3 I would take the feat improved familiar, then at level 4 (3 levels as an arcane spellcaster) I would exchange both my familiars in for two worgs (via Improved familiar).

Now can I keep leveling up as a battle sorcerer while progressing both my familiars along with me?

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-15, 04:25 PM
As a general rule, classes that have familiars stack to determine the power of your familiar rather than advance two familiars of separate tracks. I know of no exception to this rule.

Check the last line of the familiar entry on sorcerer. You can only have one familiar at a time.

A character with more than one class that grants a familiar may have only one familiar at a time.

Snig
2013-09-15, 04:58 PM
As a general rule, classes that have familiars stack to determine the power of your familiar rather than advance two familiars of separate tracks. I know of no exception to this rule.

Check the last line of the familiar entry on sorcerer. You can only have one familiar at a time.

I wonder if I could bypass this entry since technically one of them is an Urban Companion? Not sure if this would work seeing as how it qualifies as a familiar for the improved familiar feat......

Anyhow I'm pretty sure there is a extra familiar feat from one of the dragon magazines I could take to help make this happen?

Snig
2013-09-16, 03:57 AM
Can anyone think of a better way to utilize my idea of a spellcaster mounted atop a worg with a 2nd worg fighting in melee?

1 take druid with urban companion
2 take battle sorcerer (gain familiar)
3 take the feat "extra familiar"
4 take the feat "improved familiar"
5 I now have 2 worgs to fight with.

those are the steps I have to take to make my idea work.

Any better ideas?

Ashtagon
2013-09-16, 04:11 AM
Druid with Wild Cohort feat.

Snig
2013-09-16, 06:16 PM
If I deciede to go straight druid, with Urban Companion, would I still be able to the the feat Improved Familiar?

Urban Companion

Benefit: The character gains the companionship of a smaller but far more intelligent creature than she otherwise would have. This is identical to the sorcerer's ability to summon a familiar (PH 52), including all benefits granted and gained by the familiar, except as noted below. Her functional level for determining the abilities of the companion is equal to her druid level or one-half her ranger level.

Improved Familiar

Prerequisite

Ability to acquire a new familiar, and base attack bonus, compatible alignment, sufficiently high arcane spellcaster level

Chronos
2013-09-16, 07:10 PM
You could either do an Improved Familiar and take the Extra Familiar feat (Dragon #280), which then gives you two improved familiars, or you could stay Druid, get one dire wolf as your animal companion, and then take the Wild Cohort feat to get another one.

Snig
2013-09-16, 07:39 PM
You could either do an Improved Familiar and take the Extra Familiar feat (Dragon #280), which then gives you two improved familiars, or you could stay Druid, get one dire wolf as your animal companion, and then take the Wild Cohort feat to get another one.

I'm trying to do the math to figure out which would be the more powerful option for combat?

A druid with Urban Companion (basically a familiar), Extra Familiar, and Improved Familiar for two worgs

Or a Druid with a regular animal companion and a wild cohort, for something like a direwolf and a riding dog.....