PDA

View Full Version : Demon/Devil Stronghold

Dming For Noobs
2013-09-15, 04:54 PM
I`m trying to make a suitable plane shifting fortress using a custom wondrous architecture of Suspension. So I have 3 Questions

1. What things would a demon/devil put in a mobile strategy center? It is not a combat vehicle, it is a mobile strategy center, able to hover. I also need a propulsion system.

2. Any cheap way to have it plane shift besides a wondrous architecture of plane shift?

3. What should be overcame to get it. One of my players is a malconvoker who really likes it, and wants one (they have seen one, but never got in one). What monsters for an ECL 9/10 party fight to get at one.

Krobar
2013-09-15, 06:31 PM
Shape it like a ship and put a Planar Helm on it. That will cover the plane shifting. Put a Cloud Keel on it if you want it to fly/hover.

Shadowbite
2013-09-15, 06:54 PM
Not exactly what you are looking for, but this might provide some inspiration.

In 2nd edition the Yugoloths had this mobile armed city called the Crawling City. Always thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.planewalker.com/encyclopedia/crawling-city

Perhaps instead of grafted legs, thousands of demonic/devilish wings grafted to keep it flying.

SassyQuatch
2013-09-15, 07:07 PM
I don't have my books with me, but the Stronghold Builder's Guidbook answers all.

Dming For Noobs
2013-09-15, 08:00 PM
I tried looking in the SBG, and it was not what I was looking for. I have used it before to make a stronghold in a different campaign thought.

The Planar Helm idea is a good one, I did not know about that

What about propulsion? Need something that can be propel a ship that is levitating.

NM020110
2013-09-15, 08:59 PM
Stronghold builder's guidebook has plenty on making buildings move, but it'll be expensive.

Somewhat less expensive, but involving greater bookkeeping, would be Grammarie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291019).

In any case, if this is a command center it should definitely be protected from teleporting enemies, lest the legions of demons/devils with Greater Teleport as a spell like ability take the opportunity to invade.

I'd also recommend one of the weather orbs (draconomicon and/or SBG), to deal with flying foes. Nothing says 'no fly zone' quite like a perpetual tornado...