PDA

View Full Version : Eidolons and Holy Word

Down Comforter
2013-09-15, 05:34 PM
I'm in a Way of the Wicked campaign at the moment and am likely going to be dealing with Clerics hitting my evil self and my Eidolon with Holy Word. My question is this: Does the 24 hour banishment prohibit the spell Summon Eidolon from calling back the Eidolon?

Jade_Tarem
2013-09-15, 05:39 PM
I'd say it does if the Eidolon fails the save - the text in Holy Word is pretty unambiguous, the Eidolon is a discrete and constant entity, and I like the idea that something in the universe could maybe put a dent in the Summoner's lofty perch - but you may want to check Paizo's boards to see if any devs have weighed in on the issue.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-09-15, 07:28 PM
It does. Happened to our Summoner once, though she was good aligned and hit with Blasphemy.

She complained for 2 rounds about being useless, then I pointed out she was now free to use standard actions to port in hordes of smiting, pouncing celestial tigers on the BBEG. Two rounds and hundreds of points of damage later (BBEG burned through Fortunate Fate, a 3E spell that's like Contingent Heal, an actual contingent Heal, and all his hp once again, mainly from the tigers), the boss was dead, and the player was noticeably happier.

Yeah. Poor summoner loses his eidolon. Boo hoo. Cry me a river...

Snowbluff
2013-09-15, 07:58 PM
Yeah. Poor summoner loses his eidolon. Boo hoo. Cry me a river...

Even without her Summons or Eidolons, Summoners are damn good casters. :smalltongue:

What spells was she toting?

Psyren
2013-09-16, 09:15 AM
Can't you lock down your Eidolon with Dimensional Anchor (3rd-level spell on the Summoner list)? That will keep you from using abilities like Maker's Call with it, but should also keep it from being banished.

ahenobarbi
2013-09-16, 09:41 AM
Can't you lock down your Eidolon with Dimensional Anchor (3rd-level spell on the Summoner list)? That will keep you from using abilities like Maker's Call with it, but should also keep it from being banished.

I'm not that familiar with PF but in 3.5 Dimensional Anchor and friends specifically say you can't use them to prevent summoned creatures from returning.

Psyren
2013-09-16, 09:50 AM
I'm not that familiar with PF but in 3.5 Dimensional Anchor and friends specifically say you can't use them to prevent summoned creatures from returning.

It can't stop a summoned creature from poofing when the spell that summoned it runs out, but Eidolons have no duration - they're there permanently. That clause doesn't apply to dismissal/banishment.

Dimensional Anchor does not prevent summoned creatures from disappearing at the end of a summoning spell.