PDA

View Full Version : Torch Light II: Dnd Conversion Announcement

Almightycricket
2013-09-15, 08:41 PM
I am currently in the midst of making a total conversion for torchlight into a D&D multi-player universe. More info here. (http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57934&p=482837#p482837)

I need suggestion on what area of dnd/edition/classes. Generally people who have great in-depth knowledge of the universe in general. And any modders for TLII who want to contribute, or teach me things I need help with...also listed in the above link, would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Sajiri
2013-09-15, 10:48 PM
I always liked 3.5e Forgotten Realms (even though I play pathfinder). I'd offer help, but know nothing about modding Torchlight ): Very fun game though

Almightycricket
2013-09-15, 11:11 PM
Well that input is incredibly helpful. I need a player base :P So knowing which realm/edition most people like is a good start.

Tebryn
2013-09-16, 08:21 AM
Well that input is incredibly helpful. I need a player base :P So knowing which realm/edition most people like is a good start.

Going to keep an eye on this, pretty ambitious project all things considered.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-09-16, 10:46 AM
That is...very ambitious. (I would also advise you to do research on the 3.5 OGL.)

What all are you intending to convert? No edition of D&D matches exactly to Torchlight, and a lot of some editions (aka 3.5) can't be replicated without serious hax and massive asset-building. 4th is a bit closer, but the tactical movement aspect isn't very Torchlight-y.

I'd personally recommend starting smaller, and learning your way up the modding skill tree, but good luck! :smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2013-09-16, 11:24 AM
Yeah, total conversion mods are the most ambitious projects you could undertake.

Start small, learning how to install minor plugins and model replacers.

Almightycricket
2013-09-16, 03:56 PM
I already learned a lot last night about guts and created about 20 new items/ 3 dungeons and 4 classes (though incredibly unbalanced) So I know how to use the basic functions. And it is very ambitious, I agree, but I really have wanted to do this for a long while, and I did stumble upon the Ogl and I am in talks with Wotc if its actually needed in my case seeing as I'm not using campaigns (though the locations will exist because I am using the world) themselves verbatim but I want to use the races and classes though. The reason I haven't just slapped it on yet is because of how it does infringe upon my rights to control distribution, and essentially allows any user of my mod complete legal right to crack it open and use it's contents all willy-nilly.

Almightycricket
2013-09-16, 04:12 PM
... but the tactical movement aspect isn't very Torchlight-y...

DOUBLE POST SORRY

I know the tactics aren't going to be here, and that sucks, but I figure being in the 3.5 world with friends with classes with class trees, that can be highly customizable, with races, and some serious dungeon crawling is pretty appealing. All I know is I saw daggerdale and got pissed after buying and playing, and wanted to create something that did what they did except you know...properly. And I want to use the 3.5 world cause across the board its what most people liked, and I plan on creating skills close to the effect given in the description.

Psyren
2013-09-17, 08:38 AM
If you can do this, awesome.

Why not convert an existing D&D game? Or at least one segment of an existing game? You could, say, start with the Prologue of Neverwinter Nights (Very small-scale - takes place entirely in the academy, goes from levels 1-3.) Then if that goes well you can do the whole first act with tracking down the plague cure through the 4 wings of the city.

Sajiri
2013-09-17, 07:05 PM
If you can do this, awesome.

Why not convert an existing D&D game? Or at least one segment of an existing game? You could, say, start with the Prologue of Neverwinter Nights (Very small-scale - takes place entirely in the academy, goes from levels 1-3.) Then if that goes well you can do the whole first act with tracking down the plague cure through the 4 wings of the city.

One day I want an actual conversion of Baldur's Gate for something ): Seems there's always a group starting a conversion for whatever game is out at the time, but its never finished

Psyren
2013-09-18, 06:29 AM
One day I want an actual conversion of Baldur's Gate for something ): Seems there's always a group starting a conversion for whatever game is out at the time, but its never finished

There was a full conversion of Baldur's Gate for NWN2 (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/06/mad-mod-recreates-baldurs-gate-in-neverwinter-nights-2/) that updates the entire game to 3.5 rules. I'll get around to playing it one of these days.

Avilan the Grey
2013-09-18, 08:08 AM

"Anything but 4ed"?

Forgotten Realms is the setting most CRPG players know, thanks to Bioware's games.