PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder house rules for assassination and grappling

tasw
2013-09-15, 11:05 PM
I've got a few new rules I'm trying out for my pathfinder E6 game to give martial characters who few more potent options. I'm curious what people think about them and what rules they have for the same issues.

1. we have a houserule we've been using so far with our stealthy ranger where if you sneak up on someone and they are totally unaware of you and your in melee range (not movement range, melee, so it takes 2 turns) when the surprise round starts then with an appropriate weapon you can make a combat maneuver check to use a coup de grace on the target. And I use massive damage rules so this can be pretty good for a sneaky guy.

2. Grappling. I'm a jui jitsu guy in real life and so are 2 of my players so we got to chatting and came up with this together.

If you get an opponent in a grapple you can make regular attacks with a +2 to hit and damage on your next round, or you can attempt a submission. In which case you make a CMB roll and if you succeed you can do 1d6+2 damage to a phsyical ability score of your choice.

Or you can take the extra turn to get a pin and then go for it. Giving you +4 to both kinds of attacks.

Its come up a couple of times so far and both the barbarian and the monk used it to their advantage and seemed to like it.

I'm also considering letting a fighter add his character level to damage, or maybe just damage on a crit before the multiplier. Still muddling over that one.

anyway thoughts?

Squirrel_Dude
2013-09-15, 11:08 PM
The grappling rules would at least make it more interesting/worthwhile to do. The only danger being that monsters will also really like to do that to the beatsticks when the monsters start getting bigger and stronger.

tasw
2013-09-15, 11:16 PM
The grappling rules would at least make it more interesting/worthwhile to do. The only danger being that monsters will also really like to do that to the beatsticks when the monsters start getting bigger and stronger.

Yeah, I'm thinking i would tone the damage down for a regular campaign, but with E6 if your fighting something huge its supposed to incredibly dangerous and scary, kind of the point of that set up, so it would just reinforce that image.

tasw
2013-09-17, 08:23 AM
Dang buried in 2 days. didnt realize how fast this forum section moves. Bump