PDA

View Full Version : A Homage to Warcraft: Healing Barrage

Ruethgar
2013-09-16, 10:27 AM
When I used to play warcraft, I loved all of the "when you hit you heal" abilities. Judgement/Seal of Light, Attonment, Vampiric Enchantments. My favorite for fun became Seal of Light with the Ravager weapon because it made my paladin increasingly harder to kill the more creatures attacked him. For more serious play, my smite priest could out damage any shadow priest and do triple the healing of the group healer and tank most fights. Good times.

Now I finally put together something similar for D&D, kind of melds the paladin and priest together a bit, able to heal himself or others for fairly decent sums.

Original
Race: Siarran(-2 Con +2 Dex 4 arms, lower two -2 Str may take (Improved)Multiweapon Fighting or Multidexterity when he would be allowed a feat)
Class: Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Brawler Barbarian 1/Kensai Fighter 5(Ward Cestus)/Martial Chaos Monk 2
Flaw(Shaky): Martial Study(Crusader Strike)
Flaw(Feeble): Martial Stance(Martial Spirit)
Barbarian: Multiweapon Fighting(replaced TWF via racial ability), Improved Unarmed Attack
1st: Multidexerity(I couldn't find a 3.5 update, if DM rules that MWF is updated like TWF was then this slot is free and I would suggest Weapon Finesse)
3rd: Circle Kick
Fighter(3rd): Rain of Blows
Fighter(5th): Storm of Blows
6th: Snap Kick
Monk(7th): Weapon Focus or Finesse
Monk(8th): Weapon Focus or Finesse(Assuming you had to take Multidexterity otherwise open)

Overview
Level 1: You are ok at this point. Grab a handful of cheap, simple weapons you won't mind throwing away as well as your 4 ward cestus for next level. You can now charge and do a full 4 attacks(5 while enraged), at -2 hit, healing yourself or allies 2 per hit.
Level 2: Yay ward cestus proficiency! You also get +1 attack and damage with them making them slightly better than quad wielding clubs.
Level 3: Mmm circle kick and rain of blows. Taking a staggering -5 on all attacks you can now hit 6 times while enraged and 6 more times against a second target, healing 2 per hit(24 max). You can gauge for yourself whether or not the -3 to hit for 1 attack is worth it.
Level 5: Storm of Blows is a -6 hit for two more attacks. Combine with Rain and Multiweapon and you have a debilitating -11 to hit with 8 attacks in a rage plus 8 against an adjacent target. The more I look at that minus he less I like it, but you have the option against mooks to maim and murder.
Level 6: Snap Kick is a much better deal at a -2, though it should be noted that being a kensai essentially makes Rain and Storm a -2 per hit as well by giving +1 attack at first and fifth. At any rate, another two attacks added to the potential per-round now at 18 total(36 healing).
Level 7: Juicy. Flailing strikes can be used as part of an unarmed attack for an extra 1d4-1 attacks at a -2 hit. This brings the max potential to 24 attacks(48 healing) at -15 in one round at level 7. You can skip Kensai and go straight for this but that delays Circle and Snap Kick which is bad. If you don't want Storm of Blows and the +1 att/dmg you can skip 3 levels of Kensai and take monk at 4th and still get Circle Kick on time.
Level 8: Only there because fighter bonus feats and evasion are nice to have.

Update:1
Race: Siarran(-2 Con +2 Dex 4 arms, lower two -2 Str may take (Improved)Multiweapon Fighting or Multidexterity when he would be allowed a feat)
Class: Crusader 1/Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem City Brawler Barbarian 1/Kensai Fighter 1(Ward Cestus)/Totemist 2/Martial Chaos Monk 2
Flaw(Shaky): Multiweapon Fighting
Flaw(Feeble): Weapon Focus(Unarmed)
1st: Weapon Finesse
Barbarian2nd: Improved Unarmed Attack, Multidexerity
3rd: Circle Kick
6th: Multiattack
Monk(6th): Weapon Focus(Ward Cestus)
Monk(7th): ?

Overview
This version trades out a lot of unarmed attacks for more accurate natural attacks totaling at 24 attacks at a -6(To be most accurate assume 18 dex that is 8 attacks at +5 and 8 at +3 with 8 more against an adjacent target at +5, removing 2 of the +5, by assuming you aren't raging, increases you hit by 2 and is more worth it I think). Four more fighter levels would give another 6 attacks at a further -9. Three more monk levels will get you a -1 penalty 1d4 extra attacks(instead of -2 penalty 1d4-1 attacks) and a (low) chance to daze on charge. Also as a martial monk you can freely multiclass with fighter instead of taking all of monk in one go. If you manage a decent strength, you can void the weapon finesse and effectively eliminate the penalty to the extra attack from enrage. Since you are already getting 3/4 of the prerequisites for multitasking, I would probably go more crusader and be able to burn through a cycle of maneuvers with 2 or 3 per round.

At level one you can do sword and board with a 2-hand weapon as the sword and still have a free hand. You're feats will be next to useless, but until 2nd level with multidexterity, other methods of attack kind of suck. Level two, congrats, go punch people. Or wield actual weapons until 3rd when unarmed becomes more beneficial. Circle kick again is your friend and at 3rd your ward cestus is your best weapon, quad-wield them. Totemist, grab Claws of the Wyrm and Chaos Roc's Span then grab and bind Girallon Arms for a cool 8 attacks. You do need some constitution for this. Martial Chaos Monk, same as before, potential 6 attacks -2 hit.

Any thoughts on how to improve it?

Getting a massive bonus to hit would be nice to make that many attacks actually viable, but I somewhat doubt it to be possible. Currently my thought would be to continue Kensai to get more full BaB and another +2 att/dmg, but I wouldn't know what to do with all of those feats. More monk would increase my number of attacks and remove 2 of the penalty to hit as well as increase my unarmed damage which could be nice.

Ruethgar
2013-09-17, 05:44 AM
One bump and I let it die. Just looking for any other/better ways to heal from attacking. I suppose I could try multitasking manifest life in there, but that would take till 20 to get thematic results. Stalwart battle sorcerer wouldn't loose me much BaB and I could jump into Eldritch Knight, grab bestow wounds(however wretched), healing touch and vampiric touch for themed spells.

Any suggestions, any at all?

ben-zayb
2013-09-17, 05:49 AM
How are you getting Martial Study and Martial Stance with IL0?

Ruethgar
2013-09-17, 06:16 AM
I could retrain/shuffle for them at later levels I suppose. Although, technically level is not under the prerequisite section of the maneuvers.

Gemini476
2013-09-17, 06:39 AM
I could retrain/shuffle for them at later levels I suppose. Although, technically level is not under the prerequisite section of the maneuvers.

The general rule is that you can only learn a maneuver if your IL is high enough to learn a maneuver of that level. To assume otherwise is to invite madness, especially due to the one 9th level maneuver without prerequisites.

Krazzman
2013-09-17, 06:45 AM
Well... if I wanted to do something like this I would probably go Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian, Totemist, Crusader combination

Probably starting as a Quasilycanthrope Azurin Barbarian. Then 2 or 3 levels of Totemist, 1 or 0 Barbarian, then 1 Crusader and then into Warshaper.

After that into incarnate to get the healing multiplicator.

Also:
Where is Circle Kick, Rain and Storm of Blows from?
Where can I find the Kensai Fighter and the Martial Chaos Monk?

Ruethgar
2013-09-17, 06:47 AM
One level of warblade or crusader, delaying barbarian, would solve that issue and being that I have 12 levels to go wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.

Edit: Kensai Fighter and Martial Monk are from Dragon 310 as are the abilities Rain and Storm of Blows under the Kensai fighter, Chaos monk is from 335. Circle Kick is from Sword and Fist and I didn't find a 3.5 update for the feat so it is still valid.

Totemist would grant the nice ability to add more natural attacks for more healing. Hadn't really thought much about Incarmun for this, thank you.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-09-17, 06:50 AM
Alternately, go PsiWar with Empathic Transfer, Hostile

Ruethgar
2013-09-17, 07:01 AM
PsiWarrior would be nice, but it runs into the same problem of Bestow Wounds in that you have to be lower on health for it to function. You could intersperse the healing version with the hostile, but the touch range and loss of damage output is not optimal, taking one round to prepare for the next round's attacks goes against the pursuit of the all mighty action economy.

ben-zayb
2013-09-17, 07:13 AM
Alternatively, instead of having multiple appendages and big full-attacks, you can also make a lockdown AoO build instead. Especially with a Crusader, you got all the tanking healing in the world. Although that would remind me more of a Blood DK than a Paladin, if we're to go the WoW feel.

Chronos
2013-09-17, 10:13 AM
One level of warblade or crusader, delaying barbarian, would solve that issue and being that I have 12 levels to go wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.
It would also mean you wouldn't need to spend feats to get a maneuver and a stance, and the fewer feats spent means you could use fewer levels on Fighter. It would also give you several other maneuvers, and an in-combat refresh mechanic.

Really, the only times when Martial Study or Martial Stance really make sense are when you're either a spellcaster and just need one specific maneuver or stance but aren't willing to give up your spell progression to get it, when you're already a ToB class and want to pick up something from one of the other discipline lists, or when for some odd reason you need to pick up a particular maneuver at just exactly a certain level, and wouldn't learn one at that level. Otherwise, you're almost always better off just dipping one level into the appropriate class.

Ruethgar
2013-09-17, 10:25 AM
The levels in fighter are required for Rain and Storm of Blows and. If you wanted to keep both, you would still need 4 levels in fighter, the 5th level is just for a free +1 att/dmg to your weapons. I said warblade mostly because I had a different character in mind that would benefit more from the refresh method, crusader is the obvious choice for this build.

Edit: OP updated with a new build including totemist and crusader.

@ben-zayb One of the things I really liked about my priest was his ability to heal the party as well. Although a lockdown AoO'er would function to the same result of no net loss of health, I would rather stick with the healing by number of attacks unless I can get a damage=healing thing going well without cheese and excessive 3rd party.