PDA

View Full Version : What do you get for divine rank 0

Invader
2013-09-16, 07:03 PM
Do you get everything listed for deities at divine rank 0? The description makes it sound like you don't really get that much but I can't tell what you actually get if it's something different.

NEO|Phyte
2013-09-16, 07:16 PM
You get everything from http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#divineCharacteristics that doesn't specify needing rank 1 or higher.

Absol197
2013-09-16, 07:29 PM
Plus you technically should get the divine ability score array: 35, 29, 25, 24, 24, 24.

That's not something that's easy to find. How you would apply that to a character that gains DR 0, I don't know. They're not racial ability mods, do you wouldn't just subtract 10, but... maybe determine which ability had the highest base, make it the 35, then add in racial and level gains, then repeat for each additional ability? Something like that, probably.

~Phoenix~

Bogardan_Mage
2013-09-16, 08:31 PM
Plus you technically should get the divine ability score array: 35, 29, 25, 24, 24, 24.

That's not something that's easy to find. How you would apply that to a character that gains DR 0, I don't know. They're not racial ability mods, do you wouldn't just subtract 10, but... maybe determine which ability had the highest base, make it the 35, then add in racial and level gains, then repeat for each additional ability? Something like that, probably.

~Phoenix~
No, you shouldn't. I mean, you can if that's how the setting works, but there's no "technically" about it, the divine array was just a tool used by the designers of Deities & Demigods to easily give deities very high ability scores. There's a suggestion (and only a suggestion) that achieving these scores through levelling and epic feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#greatCharisma) be required for divine ascension, but the claim that all deities get them automatically is just a misconception.

Absol197
2013-09-16, 09:11 PM
Oh, then I apologize! I don't have Deities and Demigods, so I didn't get the chance to read that part.

So it's something you could consider should you want your DR 0 to pack a bit more punch, but not something you should automatically get.

Sugashane
2013-09-16, 09:18 PM
No, you shouldn't. I mean, you can if that's how the setting works, but there's no "technically" about it, the divine array was just a tool used by the designers of Deities & Demigods to easily give deities very high ability scores. There's a suggestion (and only a suggestion) that achieving these scores through levelling and epic feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#greatCharisma) be required for divine ascension, but the claim that all deities get them automatically is just a misconception.

Not quite. The web enhancement for Deities and Demigods "New Gods on the Block" has several examples of the same character (Erbin) at various levels, including at a level 1 rogue who also has a Divine Rank of 0 (no outsider hit dice). His stats come out to: Str- 28, Dex- 40, Con- 24, Int- 25, Wis- 24, Cha- 24. While not the exact divine array so many seem to have, Erbin is simply a human male, and it says he was "a petty thief, who by some circumstance, became a deity." So they are indeed super-human even without high use of feats, magic, etc once they ascend, just from any amount of godhood.

Bogardan_Mage
2013-09-16, 10:29 PM
Oh, then I apologize! I don't have Deities and Demigods, so I didn't get the chance to read that part.
It's not actually in the book, it's in the FAQ. The book doesn't mention how divine ability scores are derived at all, which is why I'm inclined to view it as merely a design tool that is outside the formal rules of the game.

Not quite. The web enhancement for Deities and Demigods "New Gods on the Block" has several examples of the same character (Erbin) at various levels, including at a level 1 rogue who also has a Divine Rank of 0 (no outsider hit dice). His stats come out to: Str- 28, Dex- 40, Con- 24, Int- 25, Wis- 24, Cha- 24. While not the exact divine array so many seem to have, Erbin is simply a human male, and it says he was "a petty thief, who by some circumstance, became a deity." So they are indeed super-human even without high use of feats, magic, etc once they ascend, just from any amount of godhood.
"They" aren't, Erbin is. There are no rules stating that Divine Rank 0 grants those ability scores, and nothing explaining how Erbin got them. A DM would be perfectly justified in ruling that Divine Rank 0 does indeed grant those scores, but it would be at best extrapolated from ambiguous stat blocks and certainly not based on RAW.

Chronos
2013-09-16, 11:32 PM
From the SRD: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#rank0)

These entities cannot grant spells, but are immortal and usually have one or more ability scores that are far above the norm for their species.
They usually have super-good scores, but not always. And the super-good numbers might be in only one score.

Sugashane
2013-09-16, 11:47 PM
It's not actually in the book, it's in the FAQ. The book doesn't mention how divine ability scores are derived at all, which is why I'm inclined to view it as merely a design tool that is outside the formal rules of the game.

"They" aren't, Erbin is. There are no rules stating that Divine Rank 0 grants those ability scores, and nothing explaining how Erbin got them. A DM would be perfectly justified in ruling that Divine Rank 0 does indeed grant those scores, but it would be at best extrapolated from ambiguous stat blocks and certainly not based on RAW.

The book says he was once mortal and gained the divinity. It doesn't matter how he gained it, nor was that even a factor in the OP's question. Being that he was simply human, he was not born with those ability scores. There is no plausible explanation otherwise as to how he would have such a high stat block.

And of course a DM can say they don't get the scores, but they can also say you get a feat per level, can roll 6d6 per ability score and keep the 4 highest added together, can start off with 5x's the starting equipment for their level, etc. That is the wonderful thing about DM'ing, you get to choose what happens in your games, and the cool part is WotC can't stop you!! As such a DM would also be perfectly justified in allowing them or even upping the array. I also like the fact that no deity has low (not competitive with this array) stats in any WotC book, and this is even straight out of a web enhancement WotC released, but you think that since it is not spelled out for you it is considered an ambiguous source. Either way it is up to a DM, just ask them and make your case for or against it.

Psyren
2013-09-17, 12:04 AM
The book says he was once mortal and gained the divinity. It doesn't matter how he gained it, nor was that even a factor in the OP's question. Being that he was simply human, he was not born with those ability scores. There is no plausible explanation otherwise as to how he would have such a high stat block.

RAW has nothing to do with plausibility though, even if a correlation can be made.

Malimar
2013-09-17, 12:43 AM
A deity with divine rank 0 gets:

maximum hit points for each Hit Die
60 ft move speed for a Medium biped, otherwise consult the table
a deflection bonus to their AC equal to their Charisma bonus (if any)
As outsiders with alignment subtypes, the natural attacks of deities, as well as any weapons they wield, are considered aligned the same as the deity for the purposes of bypassing damage reduction
immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that alters its form. Any shape-altering powers the deity might have work normally on itself (doesn't apply if the attacker is a deity of equal or higher rank)
not subject to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage (doesn't apply if the attacker is a deity of equal or higher rank)
immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) (doesn't apply if the attacker is a deity of equal or higher rank)
damage reduction 10/epic
fire resistance 5
spell resistance 32
naturally immortal and cannot die from natural causes. Deities do not age, and they do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe. The only way for a deity to die is through special circumstances, usually by being slain in magical or physical combat
A deity automatically grants spells and domain powers to mortal divine spellcasters who pray to it. Most deities can grant spells from the cleric spell list, the ranger spell list, and from three or more domains. Deities with levels in the druid class can grant spells from the druid spell list, and deities with paladin levels can grant spells from the paladin spell list. A deity can withhold spells from any particular mortal as a free action; once a spell has been granted, it remains in the mortal’s mind until expended.
can use any domain spell it can grant as a spell-like ability at will. The deity’s effective caster level for such abilities is 10. The saving throw DC for such abilities is 10 + the spell level + the deity’s Charisma bonus (if any).