PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5: Drums in the Deep [IC]

Shepsquared
2013-09-16, 08:25 PM
As you awaken,you first notice the water that you are lying in. As you look around you notice the darkness, with illumination coming from what must be the entrance. As you stand, you notice more. You are definitely on a ship and most of your equipment is missing. The worst hangover you have ever experienced makes you wince and the faint taste of spice and rot fills your mouth.
You slowly come to the inevitable conclusion: You, and the others that are starting to stir, have been shanhaied.

OOC found here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16037039#post16037039) You have familiars (if you have one) and waterskins. Nothing else atm. You'll get your gear later though

Cuthalion
2013-09-16, 09:14 PM
Kelvyn sighs.

I knew those fellows were up to no good. They're off with my weapons, too.

He stands up and rinses out his mouth with some water from his canteen, which for some reason is still by his side. Kelvyn then proceeds to try to straighten his hair and clothes, at least as well as possible in the dark. He then walks around the area they are confined in, and checks if the entrance is a usable exit.

Thundercracker
2013-09-17, 04:40 AM
Ferinor Veriax

So thirsty...

His face was half submerged, and he opened his mouth to take a sip, but spit it out just as quickly.

Sea water, ech.

Ferinor sat up, and regretted it instantly as a wave of dizziness threatened to send him back into unconsciousness.

Others were beginning to stir.

"Where are we?" he asked, looking around for a source of light.

gallagher
2013-09-17, 07:53 AM
Maha'oi, having once served as a slave-rower, is quite familiar with the practice of impressment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressment), and is not surprised to have been taken in the night again. What he is surprised about is that it doesnt seem like the royal navy this time.

He grunts and stands up, testing to make sure his legs are not asleep, and tries to walk to the deck.

who needs gear? I have spells and a bite attack, good luck to anyone trying to fight me

Shepsquared
2013-09-22, 12:32 AM
The hatch is hauled open, allowing daylight to stream in and illuminate your dingy surroundings. You hear a rough voice shouting in dwarven as a ladder is slid into the hold. Clearly you are expected to climb it

gallagher
2013-09-22, 11:06 PM
Maha'oi climbs up, and looks around. Every nasty look is returned with a glare of his own, an unspoken challenge for anyone to try and pick a fight with the brute.

Shepsquared
2013-09-23, 12:33 AM
Standing in front of the hatch was a heavily scarred dwarf, bald with a white beard. His left eye was permanently shut and he was waiting for them with a fierce scowl. The moment Maha'oi looked away from him he moved, striking the mans knees with the flat of his blade before kicking his legs out, forcing him to hit the deck.
"Welcome aboard the Shattered Dragon lad. If ye be lucky, ye may survive the experience."
He said in heavily accented common

Thundercracker
2013-09-23, 09:05 AM
Ferinor

Ferinor, second out of the hatch, squeezed his eyes shut against the glare of the sun, and stumbled for a bit before coming to rest on one knee. He slowly tried to open his eyes a crack, attempting to let them get used to the brightness of the day again.

Cuthalion
2013-09-23, 04:29 PM
Kelvyn's head appears over the rim of the hatch. He winces at the light, then shades his eyes with a wet, dirty hand and sizes up the dwarf.
Are you the captain here, or can I lodge complaints about our treatment with your higher officer?

Shepsquared
2013-09-24, 07:10 PM
"Complaints?" The dwarf asked as the rest of the crew began laughing. "You don't want to go bothering the captain with complaints lad. Unless you want to be keelhauled. I'm Gregar Horntooth, first mate of the Dragon. You're our new recruits. So speak up quick, tell us why we should keep you instead of selling you as a slave."

Cuthalion
2013-09-24, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry. Didn't really realize I signed up for this. He looks around and scratches his chin. So you're saying we aren't slaves already? Or... did I just volunteer and forget?

Shepsquared
2013-09-28, 10:18 PM
"You have a choice lad." The dwarf responded.
"Either you bow your head and obey the captains orders, praying that you survive until he grows tired of your face and lets you leave. Or you object and get keelhauled, your corpse left to sink and be forgotten." He paused and laughed.
"Of course, if you aren't worth keeping we'll toss you over board anyway. Tell me lad, why should we keep you?"

Cuthalion
2013-09-28, 10:23 PM
It seems I have to obey the captain. He clambers the rest of the way out. Tell me, are we going to have beds at night, or do we get to sleep in the water down there?

He then glances around to see if there is any land in sight.

Shepsquared
2013-09-29, 07:20 PM
"You'll get yer berth, assuming the captain decides to keep yer. You two, speak up." He says gesturing to Maha'oi and Ferinor. "Don't let the elf decide yer fate."

Thundercracker
2013-09-29, 07:45 PM
Ferinor

"I'll show you my worth, long as I get my fair share of the spoils," Ferinor said.

gallagher
2013-09-29, 11:54 PM
Maha'oi bares his teeth and snarls

Had you not felt I were worthy of this ship, you would not have taken me. Whether it be rowing or killing or rowing while killing, I am bound to be useful

Shepsquared
2013-09-30, 06:09 AM
"I was more asking if ye would follow orders, and if you knew anything about sailing already."The dwarf said. "The captain has the final word, but I believe you'll all find a place on the crew." He turned and walked away, the crew members around you either returning to their duties or their amusements. He pauses at the stairs to the deck, looking back and grinning again. "Unless you die first. That's always a possibility, so say yer prayers to Osprem."

gallagher
2013-09-30, 10:45 PM
Maha'oi spits on the deck and says a Yep to neither question in particlar

Thundercracker
2013-10-01, 04:48 AM
Ferinor

The mercenary glanced about, attempting to figure out what kind of ship he was on, and who it was allied with.

Shepsquared
2013-10-03, 01:37 AM
The ship is similar to a galleon, with crimson sails and a draconic figurehead made of bone. It differs primarily in size, with 5 separate masts, 3 visible decks and something similar to a crows nest half way up the primary mast. Gregar is climbing the stairs to the upper deck and other sailors are performing their duties. The most notable feature that you can spot is the ships flag; a red dragon's head surrounded by bones on a black background.

Cuthalion
2013-10-03, 08:12 AM
Kelvyn strides over to the edge and looks around. Is there any land in sight?

Shepsquared
2013-10-03, 06:36 PM
There is none readily visible, but you may roll a spot check to be certain

gallagher
2013-10-03, 07:02 PM
Maha'oi stands tall, making himself look strong enough that nobody will mess with him, until the captain shows up to tell him his duties

Thundercracker
2013-10-03, 07:15 PM
Ferinor Veriax

If nobody addresses him, or otherwise gives him instructions, Ferinor will begin looking for the kitchen.

Shepsquared
2013-10-04, 02:31 AM
Ferinor fails to find the kitchen on the lower deck, but sees a man in an apron arguing with a halfling on the rear middle deck. The other sailors are mostly ignoring you, but a few smirk at your obvious plight and one even seems to be disappointed upon seeing you.

Thundercracker
2013-10-04, 02:37 AM
Ferinor

Walking as if he knows exactly where he's going, Ferinor makes his way up to the rear middle deck and attempts to enter any door near to where the apron wearing human and halfing are arguing.

Shepsquared
2013-10-04, 05:07 AM
The arguing pair don't seem to notice Ferinor, continuing their argument in halfling. When Ferinor tries to open the door the human turns and switches to common.
"No food until I finish cooking it, fish bait. So move along!" He says with a scowl.

Thundercracker
2013-10-04, 05:37 AM
Ferinor

"So why are you out here talking and not in there cooking?" Ferinor asked, "Is this Halfling giving you a problem?"

Shepsquared
2013-10-04, 07:13 PM
"The rat disagrees with my methods. Not that it matters. I cook what and how the captain wants me to cook, and the rest of you can all jump in the brink." The cook said.

Thundercracker
2013-10-04, 10:24 PM
Ferinor

"Damn, what's a guy gotta do to get some grub around here?" Ferinor asked.

Shepsquared
2013-10-04, 10:56 PM
"Wait. Get back to work before the captain sees you fish bait, or there'll trouble." The cook answered before entering the door that he'd blocked Ferinor from entering, the halfling following and continuing to rant in halfling.

As Maha'oi and Kelvyn wait, they notice a Tiefling with a Bicorn Hat looking down at them from the upper rear deck, grinning as Gregar says something to him.

Thundercracker
2013-10-04, 11:15 PM
Ferinor Veriax

"Back to work," he muttered, "nobody's even told me what to do."

Ferinor made his way over to stairs, attempting to climb to the upper rear deck and find someone in charge.

If he can get there and find someone who looks like they're in authority (tiefling): "The cook says I need to do some work before I can get some food, so give me something to do so I can get a meal, deal?" he said.

Shepsquared
2013-10-06, 08:06 PM
The Tiefling grins back as Gregar falls silent.
"You'll do." He said. He stands six inches taller than Ferinox, his dark red skin and curved horns making his fiendish heritage obvious to all. His tail flicks as he strokes his goatee, his yellow eyes gleaming.
"Its a deal. Get in the crows nest and replace Dalys since you're so eager. And tell your friends," he says with a sneer. "to get up here. They're not much use standing around."He turns to Gregar, clearly intending to continue his conversation before speaking again.
"I am Captain Velonis Hellfire of course. And so long as you are on board the dragon, I am your king, your god and your master. Do as I say and we'll have no problems."

gallagher
2013-10-06, 10:31 PM
Master, eh? I have been a slave before. Maha'oi grits his teeth and makes no suggestion as to whether he is pleased or displeased with the revelation. Where would you have me go. Maha'oi says, resigned to his fate for now.

Shepsquared
2013-10-06, 10:38 PM
"Not a slave. I do not deal in slaves. You will be payed, fed, given shelter and rewarded for your deeds." Velonis said grimly, scowling at the thought. "Go below with Gregar, get the crew ready for combat."

Thundercracker
2013-10-07, 03:18 AM
Ferinor Veriax

Ferinor nods, doesn't salute, however, and makes his way up to the crows nest. Once there, he'll nod to the other sailor and say, "Cap'n sent me."

no access to my sheet at the moment, but Ferinor will take 10 on climb

Cuthalion
2013-10-07, 08:29 PM
Kelvyn ambles over amiably. Is there anything you'd like me to do, sir? Or, if you want, I could go back into the room down there. Not very productive, I think, but you wanted me to be down there earlier.

gallagher
2013-10-07, 10:15 PM
Shall I assume that I will be getting my possession back? Or shall I be fighting with my teeth and my hands? Maha'oi asks dryly? He does not wish to reveal his gift from the seas, his spells, unless it is needed.

Shepsquared
2013-10-08, 03:41 AM
"Weapons will be waiting until we can trust you or until we go into battle." Velonis responded. "For the rest of your gear you can ask old Half-Jaw if he feels like being nice." He sneered. "Gregar will tell you when you are free to do so. Until then, you're under his command."

Cuthalion
2013-10-08, 12:05 PM
Kelvyn, not receiving an answer, strolls to the edge and stares over, remaining that way until spoken to.

Shepsquared
2013-10-08, 06:07 PM
The captain turns away, returning to his cabin. Gregar frowns at Kelvyn and speaks. "Come on lad, the captain's given his orders. Its not wise to ignore them." Are his words, as he moves towards the lower deck and the entrance to the hold. "But if you want to be thrown overboard, be my guest."

Cuthalion
2013-10-08, 08:19 PM
He trots down the stairs and assumes a position about four feet behind Gregar.

Shepsquared
2013-10-08, 10:32 PM
"Tell me yer names lads." Gregar says as the three of you descend. "Looks like you'll be sticking around for a bit.

__________________________________________________ _________________

The elf grins at Ferinor, showing a set of sharpened teeth.
"You're the new recruit right? If the captain sent you, you're welcome up here." He holds out his hand towards him. "Dalys Starbloom, primary lookout. If you manage to perform a good job I'll get more time to sleeo."

Cuthalion
2013-10-08, 10:38 PM
The name's Kartoffel. What's the ship called?

Shepsquared
2013-10-12, 06:18 PM
"The Shattered Dragon lad. Captain had it special built as a present for some princeling before we stole it and the princeling's crown as well." Gregar says with a grin. "What about you, mister tall and strong?" Gregar asked. "Whats yer name?"

gallagher
2013-10-12, 06:34 PM
You can call me Tall and Strong if you like, but drop the mister. Maha'oi says dryly, in what might or might not have been a joke. It is hard to tell, his face is stony and stoic.

You can put me at the oars, or you can give me back my axe, and I'll be the ship's butcher.

Shepsquared
2013-10-15, 07:11 PM
"Well the Captain sounds like he's expecting trouble, so you'll be a butcher for now. We shouldn't need the oars in this weather anyway lad, gods willing." Gregar says as you descend below decks. "Kartoffel, Tall and Strong, go up there and get everyone up, tell them to be ready for a fight, Captain's orders. I'll do the same down this end." He says, gesturing first to the front of the ship, and then to the back.

Cuthalion
2013-10-15, 07:50 PM
Kelvyn grins cheerfully and casts Message. He picks the fiercest looking warrior on that side, and, while walking in that direction, whispers to him, Get ready for battle. Gregar's orders.

gallagher
2013-10-16, 11:09 PM
Maha'oi pauses, and holds out his hand: First, my axe. Give it to me, and I'll be the front line against anything that crosses our rails. I'll make sure the captain thanks you personally for making sure his butcher has his blade

Thundercracker
2013-10-17, 06:12 AM
Ferinor Veriax

Up in the crow's nest, Ferinor fashioned his shirt into a cover to keep the sun off his head, and kept his eyes peeled for trouble.

spot: [roll0]

Shepsquared
2013-10-20, 08:16 PM
Ferinor sees what the Captain must already know about; a set of sails ahead of the ship. The other ship is too far away for him to make out any details, but it's obvious the captain intends to attack it. On the ships starboard side (north, judging by the position of the sun) is a distant coastline.

The tall human grins, grabbing his axe and backhanding the dwarf next to him. "Get your hammer. Gregar wants us ready for a fight." Several other crew members react, mostly by going for armor or heading to the deck. It seems that the tall man is the only crew member below decks who actually had a weapon on him.

"Fine butcher." Gregar says scowling. "But if you don't live up to your promise, you'll be suffering for the rest of your life." He gestures at the dwarf that had previously been seated next to the tall man. "Follow Stonehammer and get your gear from Half-Jaw. Then report back to me."

Thundercracker
2013-10-21, 09:41 AM
Ferinor Veriax

"Sails, dead ahead!" Ferinor called out, followed by his best estimate of a distance.

He looked down, looking to make eye contact with someone in charge in case they wanted to give him any orders.

Cuthalion
2013-10-21, 10:32 AM
Kelvyn then will trot back to Gregar.

Shepsquared
2013-10-25, 10:57 PM
"We know." The half-elf at the helm yelled back. "Tell me if they change their heading"

______
Gregor nods at Kelvyn. "Follow your friend, get your weapons. If you ask nicely, Half-Jaw might give you back your other things as well."

Thundercracker
2013-10-25, 11:31 PM
Ferinor Veriax

"Aye!" Ferinor yelled, then turned his attention back to the sails on the horizon. If they change direction, he will call out to the helm.

gallagher
2013-10-26, 05:16 PM
Maha'oi brings his ax upon the deck, and sets to sharpening it with his whetstone to pass the time. He also looks about to find any ropes with which he can swing.

Spot: [roll0]

Cuthalion
2013-10-30, 08:13 AM
Kelvyn slips over to One-eye. Would it be possible, kind sir, to allow me to reclaim my gear, at the very least that that is necessary for war?