PDA

View Full Version : That thread where we read FAR too much into little things in games.

druid91
2013-09-16, 10:29 PM
So, I've sorta been doing a bit of looking into Sith philosophy and such on wookiepedia because I've been playing Kotor....

And it occurred to me that Bastila is still romancing Revan while turned to the dark side. First she's attempting to kill him for her sacrifice, notable Is that the sacrifice has to be something dear to you, someone or something you love.

But more than that, she seems outright offended that you're a puppet of the jedi masters. Dancing along on their strings when once you used to be the dark lord of the sith. She wanted to kill you because what you "Are" in her mind doesn't match up with what you once were, unfavorably so.

Further she seems elated when she realizes that that part of you isn't entirely gone. The sacrifice goes out of her head entirely and she latches onto you. Through the entire ending sequence she seems to alternate between Businesslike Sith, and an ecstatic Fangirl who's just found out she's working with her celebrity crush.

So, what about you playground? When have you gone off the deep end and started putting way too much thought into something?

Mando Knight
2013-09-16, 10:55 PM
I thought she makes it emphatically clear that she's still got the hots for you even after she turned, and would rather you actually switch sides for her and show everyone who's the awesomest Sith ever (you).

Stick to the Light, and you can use the romance sidequest to bring her back easy.

Hawriel
2013-09-16, 11:34 PM
The biggest character/plot problem I had was with Bastila turning to the dark side at all.

She gets captured then torchered for a bit, so she renounced every conviction, and loyalty she ever had? Yeah I call bovine excrement on that.

Is Bastila so week willed that over the top proclamations by space villain along with some very un inspired torcher going to brake her so quickly and completely? If so than she should never have been in the position she had in the Jedi Order. Or the Jedi as a whole are just week Sunday Jedi.

Tylorious
2013-09-17, 07:27 AM
I would have to say that my biggest moment was in diablo 3, but in a different way than yours. Mine involved numbers and character builds. I thought until it hurt and then i thought some more. i'm still thinking about it and its been a year. "do i use skill1 with this rune or skill2 with that rune" it's probably not what you are talking about but...

druid91
2013-09-17, 08:31 AM
The biggest character/plot problem I had was with Bastila turning to the dark side at all.

She gets captured then torchered for a bit, so she renounced every conviction, and loyalty she ever had? Yeah I call bovine excrement on that.

Is Bastila so week willed that over the top proclamations by space villain along with some very un inspired torcher going to brake her so quickly and completely? If so than she should never have been in the position she had in the Jedi Order. Or the Jedi as a whole are just week Sunday Jedi.

Well, it's actually pretty clear that she was a bit of a Revan fangirl before that and while she parroted the jedi masters teachings perfectly, her actions were far from perfect. It probably didn't help that she managed to somehow bind her emotional state to someone who was previously a Sith Lord.

It wasn't the torture really. It was something that was already there. Malak just gave her an excuse to let it out.

I would have to say that my biggest moment was in diablo 3, but in a different way than yours. Mine involved numbers and character builds. I thought until it hurt and then i thought some more. i'm still thinking about it and its been a year. "do i use skill1 with this rune or skill2 with that rune" it's probably not what you are talking about but...

Anything where you put far more thought than normal into something that should be sorta casual. :smalltongue:

So yes. That sounds about right.

Wookieetank
2013-09-17, 09:21 AM
So I've finally gotten around to ME3 singleplayer these past 2 weeks (about 2/3s of the way through so far). I know the general gist of the endings, (kinda hard not to at this point in the game), so on a whim, I've been creating quite the head cannon for the game.

For me Shepard dies (or is dying from) the opening sequence when earth gets attacked. And strangely enough, there's a lot going on in the game that rather supports this.

~Sheppard saying she'll sleep when she's dead
~Thane's son prayer for sheppard and here comments about how Thane won't be alone for long.
~And many other comments by Sheppard about death

Makes the game into a very detailed and interesting dream/hallucination simulator. Also explains why so many of the aliens have human motivations, why you can take your time saving earth, and why Sheppard is the only one who can SAVE THE GALAXY. Even with this explaination in the back of my head, the amount of headdesking this game's plot is causing is still painful. At least it has fun gameplay.

Siosilvar
2013-09-18, 10:43 AM
So I've finally gotten around to ME3 singleplayer these past 2 weeks (about 2/3s of the way through so far). I know the general gist of the endings, (kinda hard not to at this point in the game), so on a whim, I've been creating quite the head cannon for the game.

-snip-

Seems not terribly unlike Indoctrination Theory, the basic premise of which is that Shepard spent too much time around Reapers and is now seeing and hearing things nobody else can see (the dream sequences, inconsistencies during the ending sequence), which are telltale signs of indoctrination.

IIRC the devs tried to shut it down as best they could, but for people who strongly dislike the endings, it's quite an attractive postulate.

Warning: Spoilers (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9727423)

Sylthia
2013-09-18, 08:59 PM
In the Tales of series each name is usually related to the game some how related to the plot "Tales of the Abyss" has an Abyss, etc.

In Tales of Symphonia, there's no real symphony, but a symphysis is where two bones come together into one unit, and in the game, you bring two different worlds together.