PDA

View Full Version : Paladin|Druid, review please.

Tegu8788
2013-09-16, 11:04 PM
So, I was thinking about a character I want to LARP as, and decided to try and build it. And after about 20 minutes of playing around, I think I actually have something pretty decent here. Between Druid of Summer and Staff Expertise, you have reach 3 with a d12 weapon, you are pretty darn tough, and you actually make for a pretty decent leader. Given Paladin defenses your summons are extra durable, and your Divine Challenge can be pretty nasty. Between Controller ranged powers and a pair of beasties under your control, I feel like this guy could do a very good job as an unusual Defender, healing up any damage he can't mitigate. He also has high perception, which is never a bad thing.

Thoughts, reviews, suggestions?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Ilikan, level 14
Goliath, Druid (Sentinel)/Paladin, Champion of Order
Season: Druid of Summer
Hybrid Paladin Option: Hybrid Paladin Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Inherent Bonuses
Occupation - Mariner (+2 to Perception)
Theme: Guardian
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 22, CON 13, DEX 13, INT 9, WIS 22, CHA 11
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 12, DEX 12, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 10
AC: 30 Fort: 27 Ref: 24 Will: 27
HP: 91 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 22
TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +18, Heal +18, Nature +20, Perception +22
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +6, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +4, History +6, Insight +15, Intimidate +7, Religion +6, Stealth +4, Streetwise +7, Thievery +4
POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian‘s Counter
Goliath Racial Power: Stone's Endurance
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Druid Attack: Combined Attack
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: World Speaker's Command
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Shaman Feature: Healing Spirit
Druid Attack 1: Grasping Tide (Druid)
Paladin Attack 1: Valiant Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Paladin's Judgment
Druid Utility 2: Warding Wind
Druid Attack 5: Summon Guard Drake
Paladin Utility 6: Shield of Discipline
Paladin Attack 7: Resurgent Smite
Druid Attack 9: Sunbeam
Druid Utility 10: Clear the Chaff
Champion of Order Attack 11: Certain Justice
Champion of Order Utility 12: None Shall Pass
Druid Attack 13: Primeval Thunder
FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Mighty Challenge
Level 4: Spirit Talker
Level 6: Mending Spirit
Level 8: Staff Expertise
Level 10: Virtuous Recovery
Level 11: Honored Foe
Level 12: Spirit's Eyes
Level 14: Bitter Challenge
ITEMS
Plate Armor x1
Staff x1
Heavy Shield x1

Mando Knight
2013-09-16, 11:16 PM
One thing, though: as a weapon, a staff is always two-handed when used as a weapon, so you can't use a heavy shield with it.

Epinephrine
2013-09-17, 06:04 AM
Also, you don't get the 1d12 damage as a hybrid sentinel.
"Acolyte of the Natural Cycle (Hybrid): You gain the Acolyte of the Natural Cycle class feature, but you gain only the animal companion and the skill bonus associated with your season choice."

Tegu8788
2013-09-17, 06:48 AM
I was just looking at the builder, and it didn't mention that part. Still, reach two 1d8 isn't bad. Hafted Defense can help buff defenses up later.

Epinephrine
2013-09-17, 07:03 AM
I was just looking at the builder, and it didn't mention that part. Still, reach two 1d8 isn't bad. Hafted Defense can help buff defenses up later.

I agree; the character I am running in a Lair Assault right now is a Shaman/Druid(Sentinel) and between the bear, the spirit, and my summon I have a lot going on.

As far as suggestions go; have you looked at the spirit of the wastes as the animal companion, since you don't derive any benefit from the staff? The bear is nice for a leader-y bonus to defenses, but the elemental-type companion has two advantages: 1) it flies, so you can position it right on top of foes if you want (fly it over an annoying ranged caster-type while you deal with tying something else up, get OAs through it if they provoke) and 2) it is a Wisdom-only summon (the others are Wis+Con for damage, this one is only Wisdom, so you don't feel like you are sacrificing much for it). The zone of obscuring that it carries stacks with power bonuses to defense, which can be handy. My Sentinel Shaman also does the whole "ranged controller" type thing, while sending his summons/animal/spirit into battle.

Mando Knight
2013-09-17, 09:52 AM

It looks like it's because you used a Staff (as an implement, it's one-handed) rather than a Quarterstaff (which is what it's called when used as a weapon).