PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords (Gestalt): Book 2

random_guy
2013-09-17, 12:18 AM
Sandpoint, Light of the Lost Coast

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4505/2ln8.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/2ln8.png/)

The sun rose above Sandpoint and led to the beginning of a bright, new day. The goblin attacks that started a few weeks ago were all but forgotten, as if it happened in another lifetime. With the recent defeat of Nualia, the five local goblin tribes had no rallying force to unite them. As leaderless mobs that quarrel among one another, they will pose no threat to Sandpoint for some time.

Despite the peace and calm that pervades Sandpoint, Sheriff Belor Hemlock remains as grim as ever. He patrols the streets along with several town guards and greets newcomers as they arrive while keeping an eye on any unusual individuals. Merchants come and go from various places to ply their wares, and travelers from other places have gone to Sandpoint in order to hear tales of local adventurers and their stories.

A man dressed in silk garments, a plumed hat, and a bejeweled rapier at his side wanders the streets asking everyone he can about Nualia and the heroes who defeated her. Accompanying him are four men who wear breastplate and wield halberds. The man claims to come from Magnimar and was brought her by tales of the heroes' deeds.

-------------------------------------------------------------

In an old building near the ruins of The Old Light (a tower like structure that appears to have been unable to withstand the test of time), Galen Thonius and the local sage, Brodert Quink, are researching Thassilonian magic. They found the story of what Lanaya and the others encountered at Thistletop intriguing. An illusion of a man with a glaive in one hand and a spellbook in another, speaking a strange language. Based on what they have heard, Galen and Brodert concluded the language spoken by the illusion was the ancient language of Thassilon. When the heroes brought out various items that included a medallion that bore the Sihedron rune, they realized some kind of connection between recent events and Thassilonian magic.
Since Galen Thonius is studying Thassilonian magic, I thought it would make sense for him to hang out with the sage, someone who is studying the subject himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On the outskirts of town, Miliwakeen, a half-orc far away from home, is starting a new life selling magical fetishes to the locals. As a town with few half-orcs, Miliwakeen stands out among other merchants, and curious locals would approach him. A young elven couple were looking at his goods, contemplating the possibility of buying them as trinkets for their children. An elderly human woman is also looking around trying to find something that interests her.

OOC: Shugyosha, see spoiler below. I have questions I should have asked earlier.
When your character sheet said Miliwakeen sold magical fetishes for a living, I assumed he sold various novelty items, such as those typically sold at tourist attractions. Since he has the craft wondrous item feat, let me know if what he sells are actual magic items. If that is the case, I may have to retcon this post. Also, are his goods distinctive enough that a person from his past can recognize his handiwork?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Far away from town, Freya Plumega walked along the Long Coast Road toward Sandpoint. She still had a long road ahead of her, and it would be nightfall before she reached town.
Sorry for having your role in the story slightly delayed. I have a reason for your character to reach town at night.

shugyosha
2013-09-17, 09:28 AM
Miliwakeen

The half-orc smiled, it was a good day he thought. He slowly moved over to the elven couple, and produced a stylized ball on a string. "Here, this you might like," he said to them. The foreign marking and patterns were nice enough. Then speckles of light danced about as he bobbed it up and down.

Most of what he sells are none magical item. These are for tourists and are usually in the front for display. Most of his magic wears are very simple cantrip infused items like the ball, (dancing light). He does have more expensive item that he can make, usually at commission, as the material are too expensive for him to have a stock of them.

For people of Sandpoint they are very distinctive, for people of his native area, not so much... but them how many people from his area are around here?

Akisa
2013-09-17, 10:57 AM
Lanaya

Lanaya had woken up a bit earlier than she liked as the morning sun seemed to blast her in the face as she forgotten to close the curtains like she normally does due a night of drinking and celebrating. Lanaya contemplating spending her new found gift to get rid of the hang over as she got dressed, instead she decided to shrug it off the old fashion way and head downstairs forgoing breakfast as if to walk it off. With complete boredom and aimless wandering Lanaya managed to find herself just in the outskirt of town and looking at one merchant who seemed to stood out from the rest, a half-orc.

With still the dreary eyes of a half asleep hung over Lanaya slowly approached the merchant to get a better view of his wares. Lanaya allowed the elves and the elderly woman to talk business with the merchant as she quietly looked at the wares of

Athaleon
2013-09-17, 10:59 AM
Galen

Galen drew a sharp breath as the implications of this new evidence dawned on him. His hand went unconsciously to the hilt of his sword, almost as though to reassure himself that it was still there. He had been obliged to use it against many a Goblin of late, and now the proof was before him clear as day — Someone was still using Thassilonian magic, long thought to be forgotten knowledge from a dead civilization. That someone was slowly asserting his power, and that someone was here.

"This has the potential to be monstrous, Brodert. I can't stay in cloistered study any longer, I need to get out there and get a handle on exactly what's going on. I just hope that party of adventurers is still in town, and still up for more adventuring."

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-17, 10:13 PM
As the sun streams in through the inn's uncurtained window, I slowly come to. Man, I feel like I've been sleeping forever. Before rolling out of bed, I reach my hand onto the ground next to me to make sure my sword's still there. What, did you think I'd just grow legs and walk off?

Hey, it could happen. I like to be sure. Verdict, my blade, and I continue the mental banter while I put on my armor and prepare for the day. I spend just a couple minutes preparing only the most basic of spells before I head downstairs into the inn proper for breakfast.

Batpope Scott
2013-09-17, 10:55 PM
Altarion awoke before the sun came up; his morning respects to the sunrise are whispered in verse before he goes downstairs for breakfast. The inn is the same as it's been, though he notices Aralon headed the same way. The elf approaches and says simply "The morn is good, yes?"

oyzar
2013-09-18, 01:50 AM
Freya Plumega is dressed very lightly, in what some would call scandalous clothing. Strips of clothing cover and support her breasts, but most of her belly and shoulders are left bare. They are smooth and well muscled, clearly she has been working her body. Though there are no bulbous muscles on her body and it is not easy to guess her true strength from looking at her. Her skincolor is a vibrant tan, though it seems to be almost shining in the sun, a hint of her celestial ancestry. Her lower body is not much better covered. A set of wraps of clothes cover her hips amd crotch, but again she is bare from over the knee, showing off her similarly lean well muscled legs. Her face looks almost like an elf. Very clean lines and pointy ears, though her ears are hidden by her massive blonde hair.

She is walking together with her tiger, clearly enjoying the nice weather. "We should be there soon Elata, though I guess that is both a good and a bad thing. A good thing because we can start doing things, but I am not sure I will like such crowded habitations much."

random_guy
2013-09-18, 10:16 AM
Ever the early riser, Ameiko had breakfast prepared and ready. Breakfast was varied to accommodate different patrons and their needs. Simple gruel for those who wish to get the day started and pick up a full meal later on at mid-day, and a much more filling stew for those who want the strength to start a day of hard labor. There are a variety of breads, cheeses, and hams laid out as well.

Ameiko herself happens to be in a conversation with Eugeni, the richly dressed man who was asking about Nualia. He also seems particularly interested in the tales of Manius, the thief who died when he went ahead of the group and fought a greater barghest alone. (The barghest caught him by surprise. So much for keeping the room's loot to himself). He claims to be a friend of Manius from his past. However, any wealthy acquaintance of Manius would be a victim of his thievery and unlikely to be a friend. Eugeni's armed attendants had rented rooms and headed to their rooms to drop off their gear. They are nowhere to be seen at the moment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Brodert
"An opportunity to study Thassilonian magic directly instead of through accounts written by others? This is the opportunity of a lifetime! Were I younger, I would seek out the others as well. I sense there is something much greater other. Forces beyond our understanding that are beginning to make their move. Nualia's return to terrorize our town is just the beginning."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The elven couple thanked Miliwakeen and asked if he had a similar ball.
"We have twins, you see. If we bought one they would end up fighting over it."
OOC: I will leave the interaction between Miliwakeen and Lanaya up to you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A group of horse riders passed Freya as she headed to Sandpoint. They were cloaked and hooded, but it was apparent they were armed and armored beneath their cloaks. One of them leered at Freya as he rode past. They look like they were of orcish descent, but it was difficult to determine if they were orcs or half orcs. Heavy armor could make someone look bulkier, but there is one rider who is clearly much more frail than the others.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-18, 01:27 PM
"The morn is good, yes?"

I nod and walk with him to a table. "It is indeed. I can't believe it's all over: Nualia, the Thistletop goblins... where do we go from here? The morning is a new beginning, for us and for the town."

shugyosha
2013-09-18, 03:08 PM
Miliwakeen

"Twin's? How lucky you are, and here I was wondering what I would do with the second one," he says pulling out another ball.

Once the transaction was finished he turns to the latest arrival, "Yes, is there something I can do for you?"

OOC: What form is Lanaya in?

Batpope Scott
2013-09-18, 10:19 PM
Altarion nods absently as he gazes dully towards the wall. He smiles and states "We will do what we have done before. The world doesn't stop having trouble because you save it once."

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-19, 04:50 AM
I nod. "Mmm, you've got that right." I eat without speaking for a little while, but then I break the silence to discuss the day's activities. "So, what are your plans for the day?"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-19, 05:22 AM
"Assuming nothing gets in the way, I was going to go for a swim. Maybe from the harbor to Chopper's Isle." Altarion's eyes flick over to meet Alaron's for a moment before he sighs and pauses in his eating to say "Other than that, I have to be on the lookout for ways to make myself useful; idle days are not a good companion."

Akisa
2013-09-19, 11:36 AM
“I’m just curious, are you a new here? I haven’t seen you before” replied Lanaya as she looked back at the merchant. Like nearly always Lanaya is currently in her human form as she still conceals that she was kitsune to public.
“What is your name by the way” Lanaya said to be courtesy.

shugyosha
2013-09-19, 09:36 PM
Miliwakeen

He gives the human woman a toothy grin and answers, "I am Wiliwakeen. And who do I have the pleasure to address this day?"

random_guy
2013-09-19, 10:51 PM
Sheriff Hemlock happened to drop by and overhear Altarion say, "Chopper's Isle."

"Good morning gentlemen," Sheriff Hemlock said as a dropped by to chat. "I can't help be hear you mention Chopper's Isle. Did you know I was a member of the town watch at the time the Chopper incident happened years ago? Brutal series of murders they were. Anyway, I was hoping I can talk to the two of you and Lanaya about something."

He holds out a slip of paper with Lanaya's name written in blood on it. "Can we meet some place discrete to discuss this?"

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-20, 05:28 AM
"Oh." I look around. "Our rooms are safe, right? Mine is over here."

This should be interesting. Written in blood? That is the oldest cliche in the book. It should not be too hard to track them down and start writing with their blood, right?

Quiet. This is important.

As soon as we get to my room, I exclaim, "What?! What would anyone crazy enough to write in blood want with Lanaya?"

Akisa
2013-09-20, 05:49 AM
“Well nice to meet you Wiliwakeen, boy that is a mouthful, my name is Lanaya. I kind of stopped a goblin threat around the area along with some of my friends” replied Lanaya with a cheerful tone despite the hangover that was still bothering her.
“Are you a traveling merchant, if so how long are you here for” Lanaya continued to ask with curious tone to her voice

random_guy
2013-09-20, 08:53 AM
Sheriff Hemlock:
"First, let me thank you again for all you've done for Sandpoint. It's fortunate you've proven yourselves so capable, because we've a problem I think you can help us with-a problem I wish I didn't have to involve anyone with, but one that needs dealing with now before the situation grows worse.

"Put simply, we have a murderer in our midst--one who, I fear, has only begun his work. Some of you doubtless remember the Late Unpleasantness, how this town nearly tore itself apart in fear as Chopper's slayings went on unanswered. I'm afraid we might have something similar brewing now.

" Last night, the murderer struck at the sawmill. There are two victims, and they're ... they're in pretty gruesome shape. The bodies were discovered by one of the mill workers, a man named lbor Thorn, and by the time my men and I arrived on the scene, a crowd of curious gawkers had already sprung up. I've got my men stationed there now, keeping the mill locked down, but the thing that bothers me isn't the fact that we have two dead bodies inside. It's the fact that this is actually the second set of murders we've had in the last few days.

"I come to you for help in this matter-my men are good, but they are also green. They were barely able to handle themselves against the goblins, and what we're facing now is an evil far worse than goblins. I need the help."

Sheriff Hemlock hands over the note:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1379/5toe.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/5toe.png/)

"This note was found at the most recent murder scene, the sawmill. I believe someone left it there to cast suspicion upon Lanaya. I believe all of you are innocent, but if word of the note gets out, I am not sure how the town would react. Please keep information about these murders as quiet as possible.

"I am seeking your help because my men and I have been unable to determine the identity of the perpetrator. However, I would like to provide you with the information we have available, since you may discover something we did not.

"The most recent murders took place at the sawmill. The bodies are still there, and we have not cleaned up the crime scene yet. This should be the first place to investigate. It is best we gather any clues available and then bury the dead.

"I spoke to Ibor Thorn immediately after he reported finding the bodies. I believe the frightened man knows nothing about what happened.

"The victims at the sawmill are Banny Harker and Katrine Vinder. The two were meeting in secret for a tryst. It is possible that Katrine's father, Ven, is enraged at the discovery and got carried away with his anger. I do not think this is the case, but he is the only suspect at this point.

"The first murder victims were three con men from Galduria. They were found murdered in an abandoned barn south of town a few days ago. Their bodyguard survived, but has gone insane, and has been sent to Habe's Sanatorium. One of the three men had a seven pointed star carved on his corpse. The symbol seems to have some kind of significance to the murderer.

"I hope this information helps. Please put a stop to this before it gets out of hand."

A perception check to see if anyone is snooping around can reveal the following:
Stealth [roll0]: Someone is trying to listen to the conversation outside the door.
Perception [roll1]: Mysterious person's perception to listen in on the conversation.

shugyosha
2013-09-20, 09:24 AM
Miliwakeen

“Well nice to meet you Wiliwakeen, boy that is a mouthful, my name is Lanaya. I kind of stopped a goblin threat around the area along with some of my friends” replied Lanaya with a cheerful tone despite the hangover that was still bothering her.
“Are you a traveling merchant, if so how long are you here for” Lanaya continued to ask with curious tone to her voice

"Goblins? Oh yes, that was the festival. Good day, lots of business until those goblins came," he said. "I'll be here, this places seems nice."

"You say you and your friends handled the goblins, I do commissioned work, if you ever need special items."

Akisa
2013-09-20, 11:13 AM
"Oh, what sort of items? And why don't you set up shop inside town anyway?" Lanaya continued to ask.

oyzar
2013-09-20, 04:45 PM
Freya hails the travellers as they pass her by. Can't hurt to be nice. She waves her hand and says. "Good day to you travelleres. It's such a wonderful days with so many beautiful things to see out here in nature." She smiles widely, not ashamed at all over her attire at all, she is proud of her body. Elata is walking calmly by her side as Freya holds a hand down towards the large animal, touching her shoulder slightly as if to show to the travellers that the two of them are together to minimize the risk of either of them getting attacked.

Batpope Scott
2013-09-21, 01:42 AM
"Is it possible these murders are unrelated?"

Perception [roll0]

random_guy
2013-09-21, 10:41 PM
Sheriff Hemlock:
"I suppose it is possible. The victims of the first event are travelers from out of town, and the second group of victims are locals. The prospect of one murderer is disturbing enough. The possibility there are more murderers out there is not a comforting thought. At any rate, I hope this means you are willing to help investigate these murders?"

random_guy
2013-09-24, 10:30 PM
While Miliwakeen and Lanaya are talking to each other, a nearby male human attempts to magically shoplift an item.

DC 15 spellcraft checkto recognize the spell as mage hand.

He is not making any attempt at sleight of hand, and he is counting on the possibility that Miliwakeen will not notice while he is talking to Lanaya. The man is twenty feet away. He wields a long sword and is wearing a heavy cloak that may be concealing light armor underneath.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The leader of the riders scoffed at Freya and urged his men to continue on towards Sandpoint. Freya reached Sandpoint Bridge without further incident.

Galen Thonius arrived at the Rusty Dragon Inn to find the heroes of Sandpoint are nowhere to be found. Instead, he found the proprietor of the inn, Ameiko Kaijutsu, and the inn's patrons chatting and getting their day started.

shugyosha
2013-09-24, 10:57 PM
Miliwakeen

"I can make for you all kinds of items, things that will keep you safe, things that make you stronger, or better to deal with danger..." he answers...

[roll0] perception
[roll1] spell craft

then interrupts himself, "You there what are you doing?" he yells at the man wearing a heavy cloak.

Athaleon
2013-09-25, 12:59 AM
Galen

As Galen hurries into the tavern, he barely has breath to nod a greeting to the owner as he looks around for the heroic companions that were a regular fixture here.

Seeing that they plainly aren't in, he reins in his haste somewhat and asks Ameiko, "Have the adventurers been in today? Would you happen to know where I can find them? It's a matter of grave urgency."

Batpope Scott
2013-09-25, 01:18 AM
"Yes, I would help with these murders though I cannot speak for anyone else." Altarion smiles at the sheriff and then looks over at his companion before asking "And you?"

Akisa
2013-09-25, 07:26 AM
"I see, I'm not really sure what I need" replied Lanaya

Perception[roll0]
Spellcraft [roll1]

"What the hell are you doing" Lanaya said as she turned and faced the cloaked man and directed a glare towards him.

random_guy
2013-09-26, 01:12 AM
Ameiko: "Who would you be, and what urgent business do you have with them?" Ameiko glanced at Galen's sword, possibly nervous about an armed person rushing to meet her patrons. "They probably have their own business to take care of at the moment. I can let them know you are looking for them, or you can entertain us with a story of your travels and adventures while you wait for them to return."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cloaked figure immediately decides to flee once caught by Miliwakeen and Lanaya.

Initiative:
If he wins initiative he takes a run action to run 120 feet away, bringing him to a total of 140 feet away. He will run out of town towards the Long Coast Road where Freya is currently located.

Edit: OOC: First one to roll initiative gets to roll initiative for the group. I think the average modifier is +4 for the group. (Posting from my phone, so can't check.) For attacks, make attack rolls and damage rolls in the same post instead of rolling damage after a hit or crit is confirmed.

For example:
Attack: [roll]1d20
Damage: 1d8
Confirm: 1d20
Critical Damage: 1d8

oyzar
2013-09-26, 01:28 AM
Freya is traveling along the Lost Coast Road. On the southeastern area of town, it leads to the entrance through a forest instead of along the coast, unlike what the name would indicate. Along the treeline, booths are set up in the morning shade, and merchants gather to peddle their wares. On the other side of the road, there are children playing in the water, and there are boats moving back and forth from the harbor to the west. Some of the boats carry passengers who are cruising for leisure, and others are merchants traveling by water. Along the road, leading up to the bridge, there are a number of people window shopping, traveling along the road, or watching their children in the water. The bridge itself has people on it as well, but there is moving traffic and there are no crowds gathered on the bridge. There is a clear line to the town, and there is no maneuvering or pushing and shoving necessary to get there. There are about thirty people outside, and they are spread out between the bridge, the merchants' booths, the boats, and wandering along the road.

Freya is walking calmy along in the same light atire as before. Elata is walking close by her side so as to not draw too much fear. Still the combination is not quite fitting in with the rest of the town. She wanders over to one of the closer stalls and reaches out her arm for the other person as she says. "Hello there! I am Freya and I am new to this settlement." A wide smile is on her face as she grabs the other person.

Grapple: [roll0]

She pulls the merchant close for a tight hug, holding it for a full five seconds before releasing and pulling back. It's a pleasure to meet you. She says while holding. After having done so she is still all smiles as she says What is happening here? Have anything interesting happened in town lately?

shugyosha
2013-09-26, 10:07 AM
Miliwakeen

"You're going no where thief!" the brutish half-orc yells. With a quick arcane flourish of his hands he tosses a ball of mud at the man.

casting mudball
[roll0] range touch attack

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-26, 11:26 AM
"And you?"

"Of course!", I exclaim. "I couldn't let a murderer walk free, could I?"

random_guy
2013-09-26, 10:34 PM
The smell of fresh fish clings to the man that Freya is hugging. The man looks like he is in his late twenties or early thirties. He has black disheveled hair, brown eyes, and a twinkle in his eye as he smiled at Freya.

"Hello there. My name is Tiberiu. You must be tired from your travels Freya. Would you care for some fresh fish? Perhaps your feline companion there would be interested."

Tiberiu had an assortment of cod, salmon, and tuna kept in buckets of water to keep them alive. He also set up a cooking area where he would grilling salmon, hoping the smell would direct travelers, and customers, to him.

As he spoke, the sound of Miliwakeen's exclamation reached them.

"Sounds like something interesting just happened."
I will wait until Lanaya takes her action. In the meantime, the thief attempts a reflex save:
[roll0]
"Excellent," said Sheriff Hemlock. "I will let my men know you plan on heading to the sawmill, so they will hold off on cleanup until you arrive. I will also check on those who are patrolling to make sure they are keeping an eye out for trouble." With that, Sheriff Hemlock left the room.

Athaleon
2013-09-26, 11:23 PM
In irritation, Galen hastily introduces himself. "Galen Thonius, arcane scholar. If they come back here, let them know I need to speak with them, please."

With that, he departs the tavern and hurries to the market district. Adventurers needed supplies, and in any case it was a good area to ask around. If the people he was looking for were still in town, chances were they'd be at either the inn or the market.

Akisa
2013-09-27, 07:28 AM
Lanaya attempts to rush over towards the thief as fast as she could taking a run action to catch up. "I suggest you stop and turn yourself in, you may like it when I get angry" Yelled Lanaya

random_guy
2013-09-28, 01:37 AM
"I will let Lanaya know when I see her." Ameiko responded.

OOC: Regardless of who might be the party leader, Ameiko would see Lanaya as a point of contact because of their relationship.

Immediately after Ameiko responded, Sheriff Hemlock walked out from the inn's rooms to the common area. He happened to hear Ameiko's response as he walked out.

"Hey there," Sheriff Hemlock said. "Looking for Lanaya? I'm looking for her myself. Could I join you in looking for her?"
-------------------------------------------------------------
The thief did not expect to get caught. He had a frantic look on his face as he attempted to run, but Miliwakeen's mudball landed a direct hit on him. He was able to shake the mud out of his eyes, but could not bolt before Lanaya caught up to him.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-28, 09:48 AM
With that, Sheriff Hemlock left the room.

I turn to Altarion. "Well, this should be interesting, at the very least. I'd want to head out now and survey the scene before anyone has a chance to mess with it, but it would be foolhardy not to prepare my spells first. I'll get started now so we can head out sooner rather than later?" I look expectantly at him, giving him a chance to respond before I just sit down and zone out.

Akisa
2013-09-28, 09:58 AM
After catching up to the thief Lanaya quickly vanished in thin air just before she attempts to grapple the would be thief.

CMB [roll0]
(Note since I'm invisible he should loose his Dex bonus to CMD unless he has Uncanny Dodge))

Batpope Scott
2013-09-28, 11:41 AM
Altarion nods and states "I'll leave you to your meditation, then. I'll wait down the stairs until you're done so you can concentrate."

He walks out the door and goes to relax downstairs as his companion prepares.

Athaleon
2013-09-28, 11:51 AM
"I was just about to look for them at the market," Galen nods, indicating for the Sheriff to come along.

oyzar
2013-09-29, 10:30 AM
"Fresh fish sounds delicious, but first I will run over to check out what is happening over there." With that Freya bolts over to the commotion, the smile being replaces by a look of concentration. Elata does her best to follow, the two of them speeding over the marketplace towards the fighting. "Sorry." Freya calls out as she bumps into a person on the way.

As she aproaches the comotion she sees a man shaking something off his face while a storeowner looks on enraged. "Maybe he is a thief?" She thinks as she heads towards the man. As she gets closer suddenly a figure appears next to the man and tries to hold him.

I assume that I have same intiative as the rest of the group. I'll use my action to run both Elata and Freya as they run 160 feet per round.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-29, 06:54 PM
I close the door behind Altarion and begin meditating for my spells. It'll take an hour, so I hope I'm not interrupted.

random_guy
2013-09-29, 11:51 PM
Aralon's meditation went by without any interruptions.

Altarion arrived reached the inn's common area just as Sheriff Hemlock walked out with someone. Ameiko approaches Altarion and said, "Hey there, how have you been? An arcane scholar named has been looking for all of you with urgent business to discuss. Does the name Galen Thonius ring a bell? He and Sheriff Hemlock went to look for Lanaya, since we could not find any of you."

As Galen stepped out onto Market Street, he hears the sound of vendors pitching their produce at the farmer's market to the right. The Sandpoint Meat Market, blocks his view of the actual marketplace, and in meat market, he sees lamb, chickens, deer, and boar on display. The meat comes from a variety of sources, including livestock, and game from hunters.

To the left, Market Street leads to the Sandpoint Bridge. It appears that an altercation had started on the other side of the bridge. Someone just attempted to seize a mud covered human, who turned tail and ran.

OOC: Galen may recognize Lanaya based on what he has heard about her description. He arrives after the first round started, so he did not hear Miliwakeen. However, he is close enough to see what is going on.

A frantic look appeared in the thief's eyes when he saw Lanaya disappear and reappear out of thin air. He was unable to react to her grapple attempt, but was relieved when she did not get a solid grip on him. He turned and bolted, not noticing that Freya was headed for him. At the end of his run he paused to catch his breath.

OOC: Freya is now 20 feet away from him. The thief does not have the run feat, so he would be flatfooted.

oyzar
2013-09-30, 01:08 AM
Freya sees the man bolting towards her. I don't like thieves. They take whatever they can wether it be from man or from nature She slows down her own spring and moves to intercept him. As she approaches she gracefully steps to one side but lifts up one leg so the tief collides with her knee. His movement halted she throws both arms around him, trapping his arms between her own. "Why are you running?" She says, her words calm in contrast to her actions.

Move action to get next to the guy.
Standard action: Grapple check [roll0]

Akisa
2013-09-30, 07:25 AM
Lanaya continues to chase after the thief even after he had run knowing full well that he wouldn't be likely to escape thanks to some special abilities she have of her own. "Stop that thief" yelled Lanaya even though that's what the strange woman was doing as she approached the pair.

Lanaya stops just short of the two unsure what to expect as it could be a possible ruse.

shugyosha
2013-09-30, 10:31 AM
Miliwakeen

He didn't want to move too far from his tall but ran after the thief a few hundred feet when he saw that the thief was grabbed.

With a sigh of relief he continued over there and said, "That man was caught stealing."

random_guy
2013-10-01, 12:38 AM
"I have not stolen anything," he defended against Miliwakeen's claim. "I have nothing of his. I was just minding my business when I was attacked, so I fled."

Sheriff Hemlock looks over the scene as it happens and tries to take note of everything.
Perception: [roll0]

When the altercation started, the bystanders gave everyone a wide berth to avoid getting involved. As the thief fled, and the others caught up to him, they started gathering around to see what was going on. Taking advantage of the fact that everyone was heading towards to thief, a man dressed in a loose shirt and baggy breeches decided to walk by Miliwakeen's stall and sneak something in it before moving on with everyone else.
Sleight of hands: [roll1]

oyzar
2013-10-01, 01:09 AM
Freya keeps her grip on the man and then pulls his ear. She also motions Elata to take a step closer, and suddenly the tiger is right up next to the man. "They would not have attacked you if nothing happened, now tell the truth. Did you steal or attempt to steal something?"

Grapple check to maintain grapple: [roll0]
Nonlethal damage:[roll1]
Sense Motive to tell if he is lying or hiding something [roll2]
Perception to see what is going on around [roll3]

AttilaTheGeek
2013-10-01, 07:50 AM
I continue to meditate on my spells, oblivious to the commotion just a couple blocks away.

Akisa
2013-10-01, 08:44 AM
"He clearly used the mage hand spell in order to attempt a theft at a distance. As member of the guard I can attest to this" Lanaya added from a distance quite content the theft was pinned down.

random_guy
2013-10-01, 09:50 AM
Seeing the tiger approach frightened the thief. "It's wrong to torture a confession out of someone. I have not done anything."

He struggles to escape after Freya hit him.
CMB: [roll0]

When Lanaya stepped in to provide her eyewitness account, he realized there was no escape, so he changed his story. "I have gambling debts to pay off. My lender have sent some orcs to collect the debt. I need to grab a few magic items to earn some easy money to pay off the debt in order to avoid getting killed."
Bluff: [roll1]
The fact that Freya saw those riders head towards Sandpoint makes the thief's defense believable. However, the fact that he did not start with it might make it suspicious.

Athaleon
2013-10-01, 10:27 AM
Galen had come running to the scene along with the Sheriff, but had so far stayed silent. He was satisfied that he had found the people he was looking for, but when he heard the thief's pleas he couldn't help himself.

"Let's pretend for a moment that your story is true. You used a Mage Hand spell to attempt this stunt. Now if you have even a little of the Talent, what are you doing running up gambling debts? Why would you resort to theft to pay them off? And what part of this situation entitles you to steal anything from anyone?"

shugyosha
2013-10-01, 10:33 AM
Miliwakeen

He couldn't tell what the truth was from the thief, but he knew he was a thief. "Bha... I'm going back to my stall before anyone else decides to steal something. You know where to find me if you want my statement."

oyzar
2013-10-01, 05:09 PM
Freya keeps on holding the man. She turns and spits on the ground, a gesture made somewhat awkward by the fact that she is so tightly restraining the guy. "Stop spewing lies. It might be that you have debts to pay, but it's unlikely that you will get killed over it. Seeing as you have a guard here, are you sure you want to add lying to your list of offenses." She makes no further move to harm the man though, just keeps him in a vice.

If taking 10 is allowed I will do so to maintain the grapple for 26 (+5 from already grappling him), if not [roll0]

random_guy
2013-10-02, 12:35 AM
"What talent?" He responded to Galen. "I have an item that lets me cast Mage Hand. I have no magic ability whatsoever, and I don't really have a head for numbers."

The thief eyes Elata nervously before turning back to Freya. "I racked up thousands of gold pieces in debt. They want to set an example for others. The bounty hunters out to get me should be in town today. They have given me one last chance to settle the debt. I can show you where we are supposed to meet." His voice started breaking a little as he suggested Freya take him to the meeting place.

The grapple maintained. He is not going to actively attempt to escape the grapple, so there is no need to roll for now.

Sheriff Hemlock approaches the group. "Excuse me sir, but with all due respect, you have eyewitness accounts of your attempted theft. You are also guilty of disturbing the peace and causing a disruption. We can keep you safe in a holding cell, while we deal with these bounty hunters, should they seek you out. If any show up to attack you, they will be put to justice for their crimes. In the meantime, you will have to pay for your crime."

As Miliwakeen walked back to his stall, the bystanders walked past him to see the commotion. At his stall, he noticed that something was amiss. The drawer or chest where he would normally store items not on display appear to have been disturbed.

oyzar
2013-10-02, 01:58 AM
Freya look over at the newcommers, her gaze scrutenizing them to figure out who they are. This gives her a look of concentration. "I am sorry, for I am new in town, but I do not knoww who you are. I assume you are some sort of authority-figure in this town? I am Freya. I would greet youmore properly, but the situation does not permit so." She shrugs her shoulders. "Where is this holding cell that you speak of?"

Perception to study the sheriff, Galen, Lanaya etc..[roll0]

shugyosha
2013-10-02, 11:39 AM
Miliwakeen

Getting back to his stall he looks around to see if anything was stolen while he was gone. He gets the ground to see if the thief might have dropped anything, particularly what he was trying to steal.

[roll0] perception

Athaleon
2013-10-02, 03:03 PM
"Oh, my mistake — You had an item that would fetch a good price at the market. Lies are bad enough, but these are stupid lies."

With that Galen turns to the rest of the group, ignoring the thief as though he had already been taken away by the Sheriff.

"I have something of major importance to discuss with the Heroes of Sandpoint, regarding the recent unpleasantness. As soon as we can talk in private."

oyzar
2013-10-02, 03:15 PM
Freya arches one eyebrow at Galen. "Heroes of Sandpoint? That is a mighty fine title. I would love to hear the origin of that, but this might not be the best time. Let's finish this matter first." She moves her arm slightly as to indicate the man she is holding. She nodds towards Galen as she says. "Who might you be yourself?"

random_guy
2013-10-03, 12:01 AM
"I happen to be the sheriff," Belor Hemlock replied. "We have space beneath the garrison that we use as jail cells. Cross this bridge," he gestured at the Sandpoint Bridge, "and keep going straight until you get past the marketplace. Turn right on Main Street, and keep going until you reach Tower Street. It should be on your left side. You cannot miss it, since it is right across the street from the town hall. If you are hesitant about releasing your grip on him and prefer to take him there yourself, you can just follow me." He pointed at the thief's long sword, "It may be prudent to disarm him before dragging him off."

The thief seems resigned to his fate and has nothing left to say.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miliwakeen discovered that nothing was stolen. Instead, someone had left something in his stall. Bundled inside a mass of wool, is a bloody handaxe.

Akisa
2013-10-03, 06:16 AM
"I guess you never truly have a day off" said Lanaya towards the sheriff, jokingly about chasing the thief. Lanaya than begins to stretch her arms before releasing a yarn. "I think I may go back to bed soon" Lanaya said to herself out loud.

"So Galen what's up" said Lanaya softly as she walked up towards Galen thinking what he needed to say wasn't all that important.

Athaleon
2013-10-03, 10:11 AM
Galen waits for the thief to be taken out of earshot before speaking up.

"That 'Heroes of Sandpoint' sobriquet was not invented by me, I assure you. Anyways, as you may know, I am an arcane scholar who has made my home in Sandpoint these past few years in order to study the lost civilization of Thassilon. Of particular interest to me was the runic magic they wielded, which was powerful beyond compare, and whose secrets have been lost to the ages.

The reason I'm inflicting all this upon you is that Brodert and I have uncovered a connection between Thassilonian magic and all of the recent troubles that have plagued this town. Some mage, or magi, has rediscovered the old secrets. I don't know who it is, or what their motives are, but a rabble of Goblins will be the very least of what can be thrown at us."

DM's going to have to help me out with the details of this since I haven't played the first book.

shugyosha
2013-10-03, 10:28 AM
Miliwakeen

Spotting the bloody axe, the half-orc is about to pick it up when he realizes that is a bad idea. Instead he runs back to the others.

"Sheriff! All of you come quick. He's not a thief. He's worse. He's a murderer. He's trying to hide evidence in my shop!"

random_guy
2013-10-05, 07:31 PM
The sheriff removed the thief's sword from its scabbard and held it out. When Freya released him, he used his free hand to lead the thief away. As he headed back to town, he heard Miliwakeen's exclamation and turned back to see what what Miliwakeen discovered and raised the sword in anticipation of any sudden movement from the thief.

The thief defended himself from the accusation, "Impossible! I was nowhere near your stand before my attempted theft. There is no way I can plant evidence in front of everyone."

Akisa
2013-10-06, 03:42 AM
"Well it's possible that you could've used the spell to hide the evidence, and than when you thought you got caught acted like you were trying to steal" said Lanaya after pausing to think.

Sense motive [roll0]

"Come to think of it, perhaps someone else took advantage of the moment. Mage hand would make it very difficult to plant the evidence." Lanaya continued

Lanaya than turned towards Freya before she would leave "Anyway what's your name stranger" she asked before Freya would leave.

random_guy
2013-10-06, 08:54 PM
It does not seem like the thief is lying. He honestly believes there is no way someone can plant evidence from where he was standing.

Athaleon
2013-10-06, 10:10 PM
"His little stunt was a diversion for an accomplice," Galen reasoned, "ergo he wanted to be spotted and chased. That would explain a lot."

Galen spoke of the thief as if he wasn't present, though he was looking right at the thief's face. It was partly to let the thief know what Galen really thought of him, and partly to gauge his reaction.

shugyosha
2013-10-07, 10:07 PM
Miliwakeen

"I think the question we should be asking is what was the sword used for and why plant it here," he says looking at the sheriff.

Miliwakeen takes a moment to inspect the sword.

[roll0] Appraise
[roll1] Perception
Detect magic:
[roll2] knowledge arcana
[roll3] spell craft

random_guy
2013-10-07, 10:57 PM
The thief shifted uncomfortably at Galen's comment, but did not respond. The sheriff was watching him as well, so he did not want to make any sudden moves.

The weapon planted was a non-magical handaxe. It was not even a particularly high quality handaxe. Bloody fingerprints cover the handle. While the fingerprints have smeared a bit, it is apparent they belong to someone with smaller hands than the thief. The blade has traces of rotted flesh and bone, and a foul stench emanates from it. Very close inspection can sicken a person.

DC 13 Fortitude Save.

Around the stand, some civilians stood by to continue watching the events unfold, while others started walking away. Some were visibly disturbed by the smell of the handaxe as it was removed from its bundle for inspection, and left for fresh air. Others were horrified at the sight and went off to rush their children home.

OOC:
The thief was wielding a longsword. The evidence planted was a handaxe.

oyzar
2013-10-08, 01:31 AM
Freya furrows her brow slightly. "Why would someone hire him for this just to plant the axe." She turns to look at the witch. "You are the owner of this stall right? Do you know anything? Maybe it is a warning or threat telling you to do or not do something?" She then turns back to the thief. "What truly brought you here today? The truth this time." She moves fluidly up to the thief, casually flexing her muscles as she does so.

random_guy
2013-10-08, 10:36 PM
The thief responded, "When did you become a local magistrate? You cannot pin every single crime onto me just because I was caught committing one. For all I know, this could be his axe and he's taking advantage of the chance to claim it is mine."

At this point Sheriff Hemlock intervened. "We have enough reason to lock him up already. We can hold on to the axe for evidence and investigate any connection he has to it later. If you find it urgent and want to investigate it now, be my guest. This man will be available for questioning in his cell." He turned to Lanaya, "Lanaya, you may want to speak to Aralon and Altarion. They have business to discuss with you. It may also be a good idea to have them along to investigate the axe, should you decide to pursue the issue."

Sheriff Hemlock does not actually make any move to take the axe away at this point. He leaves it up to Miliwakeen if he wants to investigate it now, or leave it until later.

shugyosha
2013-10-08, 10:47 PM
Miliwakeen

The half-orc sighs. Looking around it seemed that this fiasco had scared off the days costumers from his shop. No one is going to want to buy anything from the shop with the bloody axe.

He looks around hoping to find the old lady, maybe she saw something.

oyzar
2013-10-09, 10:34 AM
Freya frowns "I dislike thieves. I might not be a wielder of the law here, but that I have to remain passive when bad things happen." Freya turns away from the thief and towards Lanaya. "Does this kind of thing common here? I wish people were more true to nature and not take things they do not need."

Akisa
2013-10-09, 11:06 AM
"no not really, but wait doesn't nature take things from each other all the time? Like larger animal taking the meal from another smaller animal?" replied Lanaya jokingly, knowing full well that a meal is likely needed by the bigger animal.

"So what brings you to town, aisde for catching thieves" Lanaya continued.

random_guy
2013-10-09, 11:30 PM
The old lady was too old for excitement, so she did not run off to watch Freya apprehend the thief. She remained within the general area of the stall, and she did not run off when the axe was revealed. She did cough and gag from the smell though.

"I was here the whole time, but I did not see anything." She explained to Miliwakeen. "I can say that I did not see that bundle when I was inspecting your wares. It seems to have appeared at some point after the thief ran off, but I did not see who put it there. I can vouch for your innocence to the sheriff if you would like."

She started coughing again. "My what a powerful smell. Even Chod's market does not smell that bad when his meat gets rotten."

Sheriff Hemlock turned to Freya, "Thank you for capturing this thief. I appreciate your assistance in making Sandpoint a safer town." Seeing the Miliwakeen is asking about the axe, he decides the leave it behind and took the thief away.

oyzar
2013-10-10, 01:26 AM
Freya smiles "Thank you for asking. Catching thieves is nice, though it is but a drop in the ocean." her face turns serious. There is far to much crime, unfairness and bad things happening in the world. If people just lived more in tune with nature I am sure things would work out better. I hope to make people realize that. Of course i also want to see more of the world and this is as good place to start as any." She looks sheepisly down at the ground at the last comment, a bit embarrased to admit it.

shugyosha
2013-10-10, 11:33 AM
Miliwakeen

The old lady was too old for excitement, so she did not run off to watch Freya apprehend the thief. She remained within the general area of the stall, and she did not run off when the axe was revealed. She did cough and gag from the smell though.

"I was here the whole time, but I did not see anything." She explained to Miliwakeen. "I can say that I did not see that bundle when I was inspecting your wares. It seems to have appeared at some point after the thief ran off, but I did not see who put it there. I can vouch for your innocence to the sheriff if you would like."

She started coughing again. "My what a powerful smell. Even Chod's market does not smell that bad when his meat gets rotten."

"Thank you for your patients. Here have this little tolken of my appreciation," he says handing her a small feathered pendent. As she takes it he looks at her hands.

Is her hands the right size of the prints, does it have blood on them as well?

random_guy
2013-10-10, 08:25 PM
The woman thanked Miliwakeen and accepted the pendent. Her hands are not an exact match for the prints, but it may be a result of the smearing. Her hands are definitely closer in size to the prints than the thief's hands. She did not move gracefully, and her hand was shaky and unsteady.

"Well, if you want me to talk to the sheriff, let me know. Otherwise, I am going to go for a walk and get some fresh air."

With that she left and headed towards the bridge.

Akisa
2013-10-11, 09:07 AM
"Thank you for your help as well" said Lanaya towards Freya as she nodded her head. "Anyway I better go find my friends, it seems they need me again. For one thing this excitement has woken me up now" Lanaya said out loud just before she headed off to find the others.

random_guy
2013-10-11, 10:37 PM
As Lanaya left, a group of orcs headed towards Sandpoint from the Long Coast Road. Five wore plate armor of some form, and one wore a chainshirt. The leader of the group wore full plate and wields a greataxe. The one in the chainshirt stood next to him and dual wields handaxes. The leader of the group is looking in Miliwakeen's general direction and it is clear he is heading towards Miliwakeen's stand. His partner seems nervous around him, as if he were ready to bolt. Aside from wearing lighter armor, it is apparent he is the only half-orc in a group of orcs. All six wore raiment that identified them as members of the Bloody Fang Clan.

Freya would recognize this group as the same group that passed her as she was heading towards Sandpoint.

shugyosha
2013-10-12, 05:32 PM
Miliwakeen

The half-orc sighed as he watched the woman walk away.

I dont have access to my sheet but please do a sense motive check for me.

Athaleon
2013-10-15, 09:12 PM
"The axe was an obvious attempt at intimidation, but I don't know whose calling card it would be." As the group of Orcs approaches, he quips "It looks like the intimidators might have just arrived. You know this lot?" he asks Miliwakeen.

oyzar
2013-10-16, 01:49 AM
Freya looks over at the arrivals, her expression fairly neutral. "I passed these people on the road here. If they were the ones who planted the axe then they did not do it themselves. They were travelling in the other direction when I mmet them and I walk almost as fast as a horse. I think they are fairly unrelated to the issue with the axe. Instead of guessing at what we do not know, it is better to take sound descisions based on what we do know. You talked about a mage earlier, what manner of threat does he pose?"

random_guy
2013-10-17, 11:21 PM
As Altarion waited in the common area for Aralon to finish meditating. Three armed individuals appeared from the guest rooms and entered the common area. The spoke in whispers walked briskly towards the inn's exit. All three individuals were human, one was armed with a rapier. The others were armed with halberds.

As Freya and Galen talked to each other, the orcs continued heading towards the group. At roughly 150 feet, They dismounted and continued on foot. All of them drew their weapons as they approached.

Athaleon
2013-10-18, 02:04 AM
"Without more information, it's hard to say how immediate our danger is. But we do know that there is a mage out there somewhere, already commanding minions and building his power base. And he wields the arcane magic that both built and destroyed a great empire of the ancient world."

As the Orcs approach with their weapons drawn, Galen discreetly casts a Mage Armor spell on himself. After that, he conjures up an illusion of some watching town guards, in a location where the approaching Orcs wouldn't see them until they got close.

"Either this bunch is related to the issue with the axe, or our merchant has a lot of enemies."

Batpope Scott
2013-10-18, 02:17 AM
Altarion absently puts a hand on his ranseur at the sight of the armed men, but doesn't do anything. He scolds himself slightly for being on edge just because the men are armed.

shugyosha
2013-10-18, 05:23 PM
Miliwakeen

As Lanaya left, a group of orcs headed towards Sandpoint from the Long Coast Road. Five wore plate armor of some form, and one wore a chainshirt. The leader of the group wore full plate and wields a greataxe. The one in the chainshirt stood next to him and dual wields handaxes. The leader of the group is looking in Miliwakeen's general direction and it is clear he is heading towards Miliwakeen's stand. His partner seems nervous around him, as if he were ready to bolt. Aside from wearing lighter armor, it is apparent he is the only half-orc in a group of orcs. All six wore raiment that identified them as members of the Bloody Fang Clan.

The half orc eyes them with a nod. "That is a war party. they've come for me."

He'd thought he'd have more time in Sandpoint, hide here and possibly make a life for himself, but that seem less likely. Miliwakeen ducked into his stall. A second later he holds his war club and fetish mask.

random_guy
2013-10-20, 01:00 AM
The group of orcs continued approaching until they were about forty feet away.

"Well lookit that, " the leader of the group bellowed. "Your framing scheme didn't work. Your human side makes you weak, and your human sell-swords are even worse. An orc kills his enemies himself instead of hiring others."

"I was hoping they'll run him out of town, so he'll be alone. If you want to take him on, then he's all yours Arkus." As the group of orcs approached, the half-orc had been steadily veering away from the group. He is now off the road and near the tree line.

The other four orcs wielded falchions and wore breast plate. They were about ten feet behind their leader. All four were uncomfortable in the sunlight and had to squint in order to see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As Altarion relaxed once the men walked out, he saw Shalelu Andosana walk in. She glanced in the general direction of the armed men, and made a mental note of the direction they were headed before approaching Altarion.

"Looks like those guys can be trouble," the elf said. "The sheriff just arrested someone, and he is escorting the prisoner to jail. These guys are headed in the same direction. They might be attempting a jail break. I will round up some guards and have them backup Sheriff Hemlock. Do you mind investigating this incident? I have no idea what happened, but someone must have seen something?"

shugyosha
2013-10-21, 10:20 AM
Miliwakeen

He half orc began to chant out a spell since they were far away.

Once complete he yell at them, "Should have known it was you, only a Bloody Fang would use an ax so poorly."

Cast Mage armor on himself

oyzar
2013-10-21, 12:47 PM
Freya looks from the group and back to the now masked merchant. "Looks like they intend to fight right here. I wonder what reason they have for fighting. Seems like the masked one has done something that group don't like. Do you know either of them?" She asks Galen. She does not make a move towards any of the combatants having no reason to interfere one way or another.

Athaleon
2013-10-28, 09:07 PM
"I didn't help to repulse that Goblin attack just so some piss-ant Orcs could go around killing whom they pleased in this town. If they come over here, and we can't talk them down, I at least have got your back."

Galen casts a Shield spell on himself and draws his blade, affecting a look of disdain as he stands. He made sure the Orcs could see him peer at them as though they were just another minor curiosity.

random_guy
2013-10-29, 12:18 AM
Arkus walked up to Miliwakeen and roared as he swung his greatsword at him. The fierce blow would have landed directly on Miliwakeen, but the force field generated by mage armor stopped the sword right in its track.

The other orcs stayed back, uncertain of whether or not they should join the fight.

shugyosha
2013-10-29, 09:40 AM
Miliwakeen

He'd rather had more time to prepare for this. As it was he had one spell up. He could call for the hex he prepare this morning, but the immediacy for action was apparent. Instead he force a bellicose roar and swung his club in an up stroke.

Rage
[roll0] power attack and rage
[roll1] damage

Athaleon
2013-10-30, 06:26 PM
Of course the orc leader had charged straight in without parley or preamble. He either failed to see the illusory guardsmen, or saw through the illusion, or just didn't care.

Well, Galen was not one to make empty promises with a man's life. The orc was going down, and his rabble would not be allowed to intervene.

As Galen sprang into action, the edge of his scimitar began to glow a faint white. His sword hand came up to guard position as his other hand conjured a gout of webs to ensnare the group of Orcs. Better to seize that opportunity now, than wait for their leader to order them into the fray. At the same time, he was moving into position to assist Miliwakeen in the melee.

Swift action, use Arcane Pool to enhance his weapon.

Standard action, cast Web (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/web) on the group of Orcs.
(DC 17 Reflex save to avoid being grappled. The whole area counts as difficult terrain.)

Move action, move adjacent to the orc leader, in a position where Miliwakeen can gain flanking on his next turn.

random_guy
2013-10-30, 07:45 PM
Arkus roared in pain as Miliwakeen's attack hit him. He shows visible signs of struggling to remain upright. Nevertheless, he retaliated with an attack that landed a solid hit on Miliwakeen.

13 damage after DR has been accounted for.

Seeing Galen getting involved and finally seeing the illusory guards now that he is close enough, Arkus spoke up.

"Let's settle this one on one like real warriors. I kept my lackeys out of this fight, yours should stay out as well."

Meanwhile, the four orcs he brought with him found themselves tangled in the web created by Galen. None were able to shake themselves free from the webbing.

Off to the side, Odious pulls out a wand and points it at Miliwakeen to cast a spell. There is no visible affect from his attempt to cast the spell.

shugyosha
2013-10-30, 11:49 PM
Miliwakeen

The blade cut deep and the pain only focused his mind. Miliwakeen's lip curled in a snarl. "They're not mine and you talk too much," he chided his opponent. This time he swung down, bringing his great club crashing down.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

random_guy
2013-11-01, 09:53 AM
Arkus dodged Miliwakeen's attack and struck him again.

11 damage

One of the orcs managed to free himself from Galen's webbing. Unable to see the action, he decided to slowly head through the web towards the sound of combat. The sound of armor clanking through the web got louder as he made his way through. The web continued to block his path, but he can be seen near the edge of it, ready to make his way through and join the fight. The sound of the other three orcs struggling can be heard. But there are no signs of them heading towards the fight.

Athaleon
2013-11-01, 11:27 AM
"Your skulking Odious isn't one of your lackeys, I take it?" Galen couldn't tell what spell Odious was casting through the wand, but its very presence made the half-orc a major threat. Miliwakeen would have to deal with the Orc leader on his own, after all.

Without further comment, he broke from the fight and charged headlong at Odious. The move was a bit reckless for Galen 's liking, but there was nothing for it. This fight had to end quickly, before the Orcs' superior numbers could be brought to bear.

F*** me. Disregard what I had here, and see the OOC thread for the explanation.

Attack 1:
[roll0] (+5 bonus from Bladed Dash)
[roll1]

Attack 2:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Two natural ones.

shugyosha
2013-11-01, 01:55 PM
Miliwakeen

Redoubling his efforts he spins his great club the smashes at Arkus

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

random_guy
2013-11-05, 12:00 AM
Arkus swiped his greatsword at Galen as he left, but he missed Galen. As Miliwakeen struck him with the great club, the blunt trauma from the attack left Arkus staggered. He made another attack that was blocked by the mage armor. He struggled from the effort of the swing and had difficulty keeping up.

Odious decided to flee from the fight, rather than join in.

"I'm not his lackey, and I will return with backup. Just stay put until I return."

With that he moved toward the woods.

He provokes an attack of opportunity from Galen as he takes off.

shugyosha
2013-11-05, 10:22 AM
Miliwakeen

Seeing the opening the half orc spins around, gathering momentum for his next smash against Arkus.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] dam

Athaleon
2013-11-06, 02:30 AM
"Right, I'll just let you go get them."

Galen swipes his sword at Odious as he flees, and attempts to trip him up with a quickly-conjured ice projectile.

Attack of Opportunity:
[roll0]
[roll1]

On Galen's turn he will move 30' in pursuit and cast Snowball at Odious.

Ranged Touch Attack:
[roll2]
[roll3] Cold Damage
Staggers target for one round (Fortitude DC 16)

random_guy
2013-11-06, 10:35 AM
The attack crushes Arkus' ribcage and he collapses to the ground. The one follower who managed to free himself from the webbing say Arkus' death and turned around to flee, slowly making his way through the webbing. The others are still stuck and trying to free themselves.

Galen's attack glanced off of Odious' armor. The snowball hit him, but he was able to recover from it. He continued to put distance between himself and Galen and moved on.

Meanwhile, Miliwakeen heard the sound of whispering in his ear. Odious' voice spoke to him, "You might win today and continue to win for some time. However, while you stay, innocents die for your sake. More are dying as we speak. I have eyes and ears in this town. Civilians who associated with you will die."

shugyosha
2013-11-06, 10:18 PM
Miliwakeen

"Bring it on," he whispers.

[roll0] sense motive (is he telling the truth or just getting under his skin)

Taking a moment the large half-orc stumbles as he begins to catch his breath.

random_guy
2013-11-12, 11:54 PM
------------------Time Skip--------------------------------------------
A rag tag group of individuals gathered around in the Rusty Dragon Inn in order to contemplate the situation they found themselves in. There have been a string of murders in the past few days. A group of travelers had been killed, just outside of town a few days ago. One man had a seven pointed star carved on his chest. The night before, a mill worker and the daughter of a local shopkeeper were found dead. On this day, a bloody handaxe mysteriously appeared in Miliwakeen's stall. No connection has been made between these three events, but a half-orc has claimed that his orcish tribe will send people to kill civilians in order to guilt Miliwakeen into leaving the town, so they can kill him without interference.

Aside from the information about the murders, there are two witnesses available. The bodyguard of the travelers has been committed to a sanatorium. A mill worker, Ibor Thorn, saw the corpses of Banny Harker (the dead mill worker) and Katrine Vinder (Banny's paramour). According to Sheriff Hemlock, Ibor was more frightened than anything else, and probably does not have much to say.

Not much is known from the travelers, since they are not from the area. The only information readily available, is their reputation as some form of con men. Banny and Katrine's deaths were fairly recent, so not much research has been conducted yet. The saw mill is available for inspection, and Ven Vinder has been detained as a potential suspect. The matter of the handaxe is even more recent, and not much is known about it at this point.

shugyosha
2013-11-14, 12:35 AM
Miliwakeen

It became apparent to the half-orc that if he wanted to make friend here and possibly find allies as well as have the town on his side he needed to build good will and that would be helping to solve these murders.

He looked at those around the table and asked, "What does any one know about Banny Harker and Katrine Vinder."

[roll0] knowledge arcane about the seven pointed star carved on the chest

Athaleon
2013-11-15, 10:02 PM
Galen

"I'm afraid I don't know much about the townspeople. My research has kept me either cloistered with my books, or out in the wild." With a sigh, he continues. "Were it not for these new threats to this town, we could be tracking down our unknown practitioner of the lost arts. Then again, the ritual murders might not be unrelated. I wonder if we may yet extract some useful clue from the man in the sanitarium."

Knowledge: Arcana on the Seven-Pointed Star insignia:
[roll0]

random_guy
2013-11-19, 08:43 PM
Not much is known about Banny Harker and Katrine Vinder beyond the public knowledge everyone knows about them.

The rune is not recognizable by Miliwakeen. Due to the time spent studying Thassilonian magic with Brodert, Galen recognizes the rune as a Sihedron rune. It is a seven pointed star that signifies the seven virtues of rule (wealth, fertility, honest pride, abundance, eager striving, righteous anger, and rest) and the seven schools of magic recognized by Thassilon. The rulers of Thassilon do not actually display these virtues, and the seven mortal sins (greed, lust, pride, gluttony, envy, wrath, and sloth) are corruptions of these virtues of rule.

shugyosha
2013-11-22, 06:14 PM
Miliwakeen

"Maybe we should take a look at the mill," he said then getting up to see who might join him.

Athaleon
2013-11-22, 09:59 PM
Galen

"That seven-pointed star is a Thassilonian Rune... Sihedron, I believe. Seven points, seven schools of magic, seven virtues, and seven corresponding sins. This confirms it, our mystery practitioner is at the center of these events. Yes, let's talk to this mill worker straight away."

Seven deadly sins, seven ways to win, seven holy paths to hell, and your trip begins.

Seven downward slopes, seven bloodied hopes, seven are your burning fires...

Seven your desires...

random_guy
2013-12-07, 12:05 AM
The mill worker, Ibor Thorn, was not present at the mill. The town guards stationed at the mill pointed out that he stayed at the garrison to rest after the sheriff had questioned him. Since Miliwakeen and Galen were at mill anyway, they suggested that they took a look a round.

The mill stands on the shore of the Turandarok River. A sizable crowd had gathered outside, apparently aware of the deaths inside the mill. The mill is a well-built wooden structure with very thick walls. The roof is made of wooden shingles, and doors are simple timber and unlocked. The mill machinery has been disengaged.

Inside the mill itself is sawdust strewn with footprints and splashes of blood. There is a lingering scent of decay in the air, not unlike the smell from the handaxe left behind in Miliwakeen's stall.

Two corpses were found in the mill. Katrine's corpse appears to have been through the log splitter and her mangled remains lie on the mill's lower floor among piles of bloodstained firewood. Harker's body has been horribly mutilated. He was affixed to the wall by several hooks with has face carved away and lower jaw missing. His chest bore a seven-pointed star carved onto it.

Athaleon
2013-12-07, 01:27 AM
Galen

The mage looks on stone-faced at the mutilated corpses. "That rune again. Any psychopath can put up a bloody display, but whoever did this is trying to send a message to all who would recognize the symbol. In this town, that's a very short list."

Galen continues thinking out loud, enunciating the cold flow of logic to keep the macabre scene from getting to him. "Until very recently, I had no reason to keep my archaeological work here a secret. So if word slowly spread that I was pursuing this research, and someone decided he wanted me to stop, why not simply send someone to kill me?"

He shakes his head, drawing blanks as he tries to continue. "Whoever did this may believe that the Sihedron rune is well-known generally, but why would anyone think that? Perhaps they want to ensure that no one in this town would ever forget the sign of the seven-pointed star, after having seen it on these victims, but to what end?"

shugyosha
2013-12-07, 11:12 AM
Miliwakeen

THe half orc remains silent as he looks over the place. Taking his time examining things. Finally he suggests, "Message? Maybe ritual…hmmm…"

perception
[roll0]

random_guy
2013-12-08, 12:04 AM
Despite the time Galen and Brodert (the local sage) had spent studying the rune, most of what they understand about it is vague. As far as Galen knows, the rune's involvement in some kind of ritual would not be outside the realm of possibility.

Based on a cursory overview of the area, there is not much to note aside from the corpses themselves. A small indentation in the ground near the log splitter looks like a handaxe had been embedded into the ground at some point in time. Traces of rotted flesh, similar to what was on the handaxe shows up near the indentation.

Athaleon
2013-12-08, 10:18 PM
"I bet that axe would fit in this indentation. Has the Sheriff started to question the slimeball that tried to plant that axe in your stall?"

shugyosha
2013-12-09, 06:57 PM
Miliwakeen

"No, I believe Hemlock is leaving it up to me." he says as he pulls out the now clean ax and checks the fitting. "If it is Odious then we have more serious problems."

random_guy
2013-12-10, 01:43 AM
The axe fit into the groove in the floor perfectly. It would appear the axe had been used in the mill at some point during the murder.

The sheriff had not mentioned anything about questioning the suspect at this point in time. He is currently locked in the jailhouse, which is located in the same building as the garrison. A rescue attempt was made, and the sheriff managed to fend off the attackers. He is making his rounds to secure the area, but his guards have orders to allow the heroes to question any suspects.

shugyosha
2013-12-13, 12:16 PM
Miliwakeen

"So the ax was used here..." He takes one last look around before saying, "I got nothing else, let's go interview the witness when you're ready."

Athaleon
2013-12-13, 12:20 PM
"Agreed. If I stay here too much longer I won't be able to smell anything else."