PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary and Debuffs.

Cranthis
2013-09-17, 03:21 AM
Me and my friend got into a conversation about my next character, a debuff cleric. What I need to know is, would I be able to debuff while having Sanctuary on, or are debuffs considered attack spells? It seems more like a grey area, and we can't find any rulings on it.

TuggyNE
2013-09-17, 04:48 AM
Attacks
Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents are considered attacks. Attempts to turn or rebuke undead count as attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks. Spells that summon monsters or other allies are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone.

Since sanctuary is definitely one of those spells that refers to attacking, sorry, debuffs would break it.

Psyren
2013-09-17, 08:15 AM
TuggyNE is correct, debuffs are attacks. Invisibility/Sanctuary are generally better for summoning since those won't breach your protection.

Person_Man
2013-09-17, 08:40 AM
Though on the plus side, you can just heal, buff, throw up barriers, and Summon (assuming that your Summons do not attack - you can still mass them and then attack when you're ready), and so on.

Cruiser1
2013-09-17, 09:41 AM
and Summon (assuming that your Summons do not attack
Actually monsters you summon can attack and not break your invisibility/sanctuary, because they're different creatures attacking.

Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth. If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear.