PDA

View Full Version : Porting over favourites between browsers

Morph Bark
2013-09-17, 08:46 AM
So recently, Google Chrome has been crashing on me a lot, or simply not loading pages when I start it up, or even not starting up when I click on it in my toolbar (just briefly lighting up with a little box, before then disappearing again). Supposedly this can be fixed by reinstalling Google Chrome, but I have a lot of favourited internet pages with it that I'd like to keep, so I'm thinking of porting them over to Torch, the one I'm currently using.

So I'd like to ask: How do I port over favourites between browsers, or at least save them somewhere?

Spiryt
2013-09-17, 08:49 AM
I'm pretty sure you can import/export bookmarks/favorities between most popular browsers at least.

You save them as a file, and then import them from said file in another browser.

Dr. Bath
2013-09-17, 08:52 AM
If you have a google account Chrome will save all your bookmarks to that account. Otherwise I'm not really sure, I think installing Internet Explorer gives you the option to import bookmarks but I'm not certain.

Morph Bark
2013-09-17, 08:59 AM
I'm pretty sure you can import/export bookmarks/favorities between most popular browsers at least.

You save them as a file, and then import them from said file in another browser.

Isn't that only possible when first installing that browser? Torch never asked me anything like that, though.

Spiryt
2013-09-17, 09:15 AM
Isn't that only possible when first installing that browser? Torch never asked me anything like that, though.

Don't know about Chrome, in about any other browser, there's "Bookmark manager" or something in that vein under "Bookmarks" in toolbar.

valadil
2013-09-17, 12:06 PM
Most bookmark managers allow import/export. It may take a little digging, but it's almost always there.

As an alternative, allow me to suggest xmarks. It's a browser plugin. You make an account with them and it syncs bookmarks between any browsers you install the plugin on. I use it to keep my bookmarks the same on my home and work machines, but you could certainly use it for multiple browsers on one computer. https://www.xmarks.com/

This is literally the second thing I install on any computer I have, the first being firefox.

Morph Bark
2013-09-18, 05:19 AM
This is literally the second thing I install on any computer I have, the first being firefox.

Isn't the plug-in useless though if you only use Firefox? :smalltongue:

At any rate, it worked, so thanks. Another, related question, though: how can I port over favourites from one computer to another? Either to start primarily using the other one, or to temporarily save them while re-installing the first.

valadil
2013-09-18, 10:03 AM
Isn't the plug-in useless though if you only use Firefox? :smalltongue:

There are versions for several browsers. I wanna say it runs on Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari but I'm not positive.

Manga Shoggoth
2013-09-18, 12:45 PM
I create my own local home page - an HTML file with all the links to sites that I would normally bookmark. This works with all browsers, and means that I can freely move between browsers without problems.

I actually have an Excel spreadsheet that generates this for me - if you want a copy, PM me and I'll send it on.