PDA

View Full Version : Magic items and dispel

Melcar
2013-09-17, 10:07 AM
Hello...

I was sitting trying to come up with way of getting hold of "epic" item without paying the outrageous prices that follow (ELH). And found, that by enchanting items with spells, that have a continuous effect, it can become much cheaper. Example: Headband of Intellect +12 costs 1.440.000gp and 720.000gp to create. So after searching through a lot of book (3rd party for the most part) I found a spell that gives +1 enchantment bonus to strength per caster level (max +20). This is a level 8 spell, and following the rules of item creation in DMG the price comes up like this: spell level x caster level x 2000 x 2(1min/lvl duration) or 8*15*2000*2 = 480.000 a third of the price of a +12 item.

Now what I’m thinking is, that this is a continuous buff spell, so I would think that it can be dispelled, but how does that work when it’s a continuous effect from an item?

Asteron
2013-09-17, 11:28 AM
A magic item that is targeted of a Targeted Dispel Magic is rendered inert for 1d4 rounds on a successful dispel check.

It's in the wording for Dispel Magic.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-17, 11:36 AM
The rules for item creation are guidelines and subject to DM approval. If there is already an item that does exactly what you want that's what the effect costs, not matter how you go about creating it.
Also, a +12 enhancement bonus to a stat is epic for a reason. By the time you're epic level you can afford the item.

Melcar
2013-09-17, 12:18 PM
The rules for item creation are guidelines and subject to DM approval. If there is already an item that does exactly what you want that's what the effect costs, not matter how you go about creating it.
Also, a +12 enhancement bonus to a stat is epic for a reason. By the time you're epic level you can afford the item.

On page 285 in DMG there is a listing of different items and there creation price. Under one of them is: "user activated/continuous this has a different pricing than the top one namely stat increase, which is bonus squared x1000.

Where does it say that two items doing the same thing, in two different ways must follow the same pricing?

Curmudgeon
2013-09-17, 12:23 PM
Where does it say that two items doing the same thing, in two different ways must follong the same pricing?
On page 282 in the section BEHIND THE CURTAIN: MAGIC ITEM GOLD PIECE VALUES:
Each of the magic items presented here was examined and modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point.

John Longarrow
2013-09-17, 01:06 PM
Melcar,
If this is for a game you are running, have fun. If this is for a game you are playing in, check with your DM.

I've had people want to argue items like this with me when I'm running a game. If I don't want it in my game, its not in my game. If they can't accept that, they can choose a different group.

As a DM, normally you only want to allow continuals if there isn't another type of item that already does this. That is why you can't just pick up a bracer that has a continual shield spell on it instead of forking out the 16K for a +4 shield. Likewise this avoids the I get an Abjurant Champion to makes it, so its permanent +9.

Chronos
2013-09-17, 01:11 PM
It's like the Sword of Use-Activated True Strike all over again.

I don't know why everyone always focuses on the guideline that gives a price in terms of the level of the spell etc., but ignores the guideline that says to compare it to the price of similar existing items.

TuggyNE
2013-09-17, 05:47 PM
I don't know why everyone always focuses on the guideline that gives a price in terms of the level of the spell etc., but ignores the guideline that says to compare it to the price of similar existing items.

Because that wouldn't be as cheap! :smallyuk: (Also because the concept of "pick the guideline among this complex list that somewhat subjectively best fits what you're trying to do" is somewhat non-trivial.)