PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcaster Loremaster?

Xuldarinar
2013-09-17, 11:48 AM
Im thinking about a (hypothetical) build for a shadowcaster Loremaster. I just wanted feed back on the idea. What would make the best use out of this?

The best progression i can think of off the top of my head goes as follows:

Level|Class Level Gained|Effectively|Caster Levels
1st|Wizard (Diviner)|Diviner 1|Wiz 1
2nd|Wizard (Diviner)|Diviner 2|Wiz 2
3rd|Wizard (Diviner)|Diviner 3|Wiz 3
4th|Wizard (Diviner)|Diviner 4|Wiz 4
5th|Wizard (Diviner)|Diviner 5|Wiz 5
6th|Shadowcaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 1|Wiz 5, Sc 1
7th|Shadowcaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2|Wiz 5, Sc 2
8th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 1|Wiz 5, Sc 3
9th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 2|Wiz 5, Sc 4
10th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 3|Wiz 5, Sc 5
11th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 4|Wiz 5, Sc 6
12th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 5|Wiz 5, Sc 7
13th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 6|Wiz 5, Sc 8
14th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 7|Wiz 5, Sc 9
15th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 8|Wiz 5, Sc 10
16th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 9|Wiz 5, Sc 11
17th|Loremaster|Diviner 5/Shadowcaster 2/Loremaster 10|Wiz 5, Sc 12
18th|Shadowcaster|Diviner 4/Shadowcaster 4/Loremaster 10|Wiz 4, Sc 14
19th|Shadowcaster|Diviner 3/Shadowcaster 6/Loremaster 10|Wiz 3, Sc 16
20th|Shadowcaster|Diviner 2/Shadowcaster 8/Loremaster 10|Wiz 2, Sc 18

Fax Celestis
2013-09-17, 12:24 PM
...why are you taking Diviner at all?

Xuldarinar
2013-09-17, 12:47 PM
...why are you taking Diviner at all?

Shadowcasters lack 3rd level divination, which is needed. By the time I've finished loremaster I can have a 6th level divination, meaning i no longer have need of diviner for the prerequites, so i can then take advantage of creeping darkness.

Spells: Able to cast seven different divinations spells, one of which must be 3rd level or higher.

Chronos
2013-09-17, 01:09 PM
Does Shadowcaster have any lower-level divinations? Is there a Heighten Mystery feat?

A_S
2013-09-17, 01:12 PM
Mysteries don't count for specific spell prerequisites, even if they mimic a spell. No warlock entry for them.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-17, 01:23 PM
Mysteries don't count for specific spell prerequisites, even if they mimic a spell. No warlock entry for them.

It's not a specific spell prereq. It's a spell school prereq, of which mysteries specifically have schools.

However, you can't meet the seven div spells requirement until 17th(!).

However, I would recommend looking at the Dark Scholar prestige class in Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde: it works basically the same way as Loremaster with some different options. Better prerequisites, but it specifies arcane casting for entry. See if your DM will allow you to qualify as a shadowcaster (you really should be able to, because seriously, that prereq limitation shadowcaster has should really be an "or" rather than an "and", which would solve a lot of issues the class has).

Xuldarinar
2013-09-17, 01:23 PM
Does Shadowcaster have any lower-level divinations? Is there a Heighten Mystery feat?

If i recall correctly, They have 2 fundimentals, a 1st level, and 2 2nd level. The next level with divination is 6th.

They dont for specific, such as requiring Detect magic. School based requirements shouldnt be a problem. The problem arrises here in number of myseteries and level, he se the diviner entery idea.

And if i recall correctly, warlock invocations lack Schools entirely, making the point irrelivant from the stand point of prerequisites of that nature.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-17, 01:30 PM
It's not a specific spell prereq. It's a spell school prereq, of which mysteries specifically have schools.

However, you can't meet the seven div spells requirement until 17th(!).

However, I would recommend looking at the Dark Scholar prestige class in Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde: it works basically the same way as Loremaster with some different options. Better prerequisites, but it specifies arcane casting for entry. See if your DM will allow you to qualify as a shadowcaster (you really should be able to, because seriously, that prereq limitation shadowcaster has should really be an "or" rather than an "and", which would solve a lot of issues the class has).

Expanding on this: if you went this way, I might recommend doing something like Shadowcaster 5/Paragnostic Apostle 5/Dark Scholar 10.

A_S
2013-09-17, 05:49 PM
You're absolutely right. Whoops!

Xuldarinar
2013-09-17, 07:12 PM
I've looked up the Dark Scholar. I have to admit, it fits and wouldn't take much to adapt it to shadowcasters.

Atleast change the spellcasting requirement to:
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 4th-level arcane spells or mysteries.
or even just:
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 4th-level spells
I can see Archivists making interesting Dark Scholars.

if you wanted this to be shadowcaster specific:
Mysteries: Ability to cast 4th-level mysteries.

If you wanted to further adapt, making this work with shadowcaster organizations:
Special: You must have an affiliation score of 9 or higher with the Tenebrous Cabal to become a dark scholar. If your affiliation score drops below 9 after you become a dark scholar, you retain all class features but you can't advance further in the class.