PDA

View Full Version : Invading a Demiplane

WebTiefling
2013-09-17, 11:51 AM
I'm looking for ideas on how to get into a demiplane. There cannot be any Gates into the plane from anyone other than its owner (a deity granted this protection in return for deeds done), and the same is true of Wish-based transportation.

Theoretically, it's floating somewhere out in the Astral Plane, and let's grant that the character can locate it on the Astral, how could a person get in?

Can a person blast in through the "shell" from the outside?

Astral Projection? How does one go about forming the second body on another plane? Would this work to enter the demiplane? Do an Astral Projection to the Astral Plane, locate the demiplane, and then use the Astral Projection ability to form a new body on another plane to enter the demiplane?

Other ideas?

WebTiefling
2013-09-17, 12:23 PM
I realize I can always make stuff up, but I'm hoping to find something less pulled-outta-my-butt and more related-to-official-descriptions.

Right now, I can think of Astral Projection and a physical boundary they can physically breach.

I'd like to have some more ideas about how a demiplane works so I can have a good idea of how to work with the "interesting" solutions that might be generated.

Captnq
2013-09-17, 12:36 PM
Get hair from the owner.
Clone/Simulacrum/Ice Assassin a copy of the owner.
Copy gets handed a scroll of gate.
Copy reads scroll, target: Demi-Plane
Deploy army of minions through said gate.
Step through like Darth Vader taking Tantive IV.
Order your minions to find the missing plans.
Discover two constructs are missing.
Order minions to search the nearby desert demi-plane for the missing constructs.

WebTiefling
2013-09-17, 12:52 PM
Get hair from the owner.
Clone/Simulacrum/Ice Assassin a copy of the owner.
Copy gets handed a scroll of gate.
Copy reads scroll, target: Demi-Plane
Deploy army of minions through said gate.
Step through like Darth Vader taking Tantive IV.
Order your minions to find the missing plans.
Discover two constructs are missing.
Order minions to search the nearby desert demi-plane for the missing constructs.

Sir, you win. The whole Internet.

LOL!!

In this case it's a scale or something from an Ancient Red dragon, 17th level Cleric of Tiamat. He's not there (thankfully for the party) but they need to get in because ...blah blah blah plot stuff.

Ice Assassin should work very nicely. I'll keep that in mind if player ideas are scarce - it's amazing what stuff a Knowledge (Arcane/Religion/History) can pull up to bring up brilliant ideas!

For the direct entrance approach:
Is it possible to find a demi-plane on the Astral? It's an infinite plane, so random chance certainly won't let you run across it, but magic can help them track it down if it is possible. Are there any official descriptions of a demi-plane on the Astral?

Evo_Kaer
2013-09-17, 01:06 PM
Sir, you win. The whole Internet.
For the direct entrance approach:
Is it possible to find a demi-plane on the Astral? It's an infinite plane, so random chance certainly won't let you run across it, but magic can help them track it down if it is possible. Are there any official descriptions of a demi-plane on the Astral?

It is possible. There are what is called "color pools" on the astral plane, which basically work as gates to other planes even demiplanes. They just occur naturally if I remember correctly. If you can find one, you can just go through and land on another plane. You just need to find the right pool if you aim for a specific plane.

Also they go both ways. Usually (I think therre are also one-way pools. Gotta reread that [Manual of the Planes btw])

WebTiefling
2013-09-17, 01:28 PM
Color Pools. Got it. I'll need to track down some more info on them. I can see that working, though. The nature of planes is to be connected with the Astral Plane, so even a demiplane will have links via color pools. Though they might be one-way, leading into the demiplane.