PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Feats That Don't Exist That Should

PraxisVetli
2013-09-17, 03:25 PM
So, I want to make a feat.
A feat for High STR/CON characters that simply just don't care about that fireball.
Potential thought:
You may choose to automatically fail the Reflex save, taking normal damage. You lose any benefits from (Improved) Evasion, but may instead take a swift action to move your movement speed.

General purpose being to floor it through the blast, willingly taking the damage in exchange for being closer to the caster.
Thinking I might call it "Bounce it off Your Pecs"
Maybe put it in Races of Stone.

Tl;dr, ITT: Feats we wished existed.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-17, 03:37 PM
So, I want to make a feat.
A feat for High STR/CON characters that simply just don't care about that fireball.
Potential thought:
You may choose to automatically fail the Reflex save, taking normal damage. You lose any benefits from (Improved) Evasion, but may instead take a swift action to move your movement speed.

General purpose being to floor it through the blast, willingly taking the damage in exchange for being closer to the caster.
Thinking I might call it "Bounce it off Your Pecs"
Maybe put it in Races of Stone.

So something like this...

Face the Fire
Prerequisites: Constitution 15+
Benefit: When you would be asked to make a Reflex save for partial damage, you may instead choose to voluntarily fail your saving throw. If you do so, you may immediately move up to your base land speed towards the source (or caster, if applicable) of the effect. You may only take this action once per round, even if you are forced to make Reflex saves against multiple effects.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-17, 03:40 PM
One feat I wished existed? Quick Sheathe.

Because seriously, why is that not a thing?

Morgarion
2013-09-17, 03:49 PM
I was just thinking about Quick Draw, actually, and how strange it is that the fastest way to select a new weapon/free up your hands in combat is to drop what you're holding.

Xuldarinar
2013-09-17, 03:54 PM
I was just thinking about Quick Draw, actually, and how strange it is that the fastest way to select a new weapon/free up your hands in combat is to drop what you're holding.

Well, think about it. How do you drop something? You open your hand. Is there anything that could be faster than that?

PraxisVetli
2013-09-17, 03:55 PM
One feat I wished existed? Quick Sheathe.

Because seriously, why is that not a thing?
Honestly as a DM, I would House Rule that they're synonymous.
I probably butchered the spelling.

So something like this...

Face the Fire
Prerequisites: Constitution 15+
Benefit: When you would be asked to make a Reflex save for partial damage, you may instead choose to voluntarily fail your saving throw. If you do so, you may immediately move up to your base land speed towards the source (or caster, if applicable) of the effect. You may only take this action once per round, even if you are forced to make Reflex saves against multiple effects.
Maybe not call it "Face the Fire," simply because it would apply to Cone of Cold and other elemental effects.
Does that seem ludicrious though? I think it makes sense..
Edit:
by "that" I am referring to the feat concept, not the changing of the name.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-17, 04:07 PM
Maybe not call it "Face the Fire," simply because it would apply to Cone of Cold and other elemental effects.
Does that seem ludicrious though? I think it makes sense..

Face the Fire was the best non-cheesy name I could think of for the effect. I think the rules made it pretty clear that it worked for non-fire effects.

PraxisVetli
2013-09-17, 04:10 PM
Face the Fire was the best non-cheesy name I could think of for the effect. I think the rules made it pretty clear that it worked for non-fire effects.

touche.
Would you allow this feat at your table? I'm DMing a campaign and a few of the players have been pushing for such a feat, I want other's opinion before I decide to let them have it.
To me it seems fair, barreling through rather than dodging. It makes sense, when has the Frenzied Berserker ever actually thought of dodging something when the squishy annoying guy is just right over there, begging to be axe'd?

Nero24200
2013-09-17, 04:53 PM
Feats that allow for tanking. There's one in Drow of the Underdark that allows you swap places with someone, but it's one feat really. I wish there were more, like ones that let you make AOO against foes not striking you, or let you apply attack/spell DC penalties when the enemies attacks/spells don't include you as a target.

NichG
2013-09-17, 05:06 PM
I'd have no problem with that feat, I'd honestly consider it a little underpowered (although the corner cases of using it to escape a Web or Grease are funny).

In one of my campaigns one of the characters had a custom feat that let him 'cut out' a chunk of AoEs if he voluntarily failed the save and survived the blast. So basically, if you were behind him in a cone-shaped region, you were shielded from the blast.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-09-17, 06:14 PM
For Trailblazer:

Greater Weapon Kata
Prerequisites: Weapon Kata, +7 BAB
Benefit: The character has learned to strike harder and faster by studying the way their body works. They add any unarmed damage of which they are entitled to their normal weapon damage, so long as they are not wearing a heavy load, and not wearing armor or wielding a weapon which they do not have proficiency with.*

*Wish I hadn't gone 4 sessions in a game before realizing the Trailblazer Monk doesn't get this!

NichG
2013-09-17, 06:30 PM
As an feat chain from Face the Fire, what about 'Melee Counterspell':

Melee Counterspell:
Req: Face the Fire, BAB something-or-other

When you Face the Fire, if you end your movement next to the caster of the effect you can also make a single melee attack against them at full BAB.

JoshuaZ
2013-09-17, 06:31 PM
touche.
Would you allow this feat at your table? I'm DMing a campaign and a few of the players have been pushing for such a feat, I want other's opinion before I decide to let them have it.

It is highly situational and isn't that useful (since it basically means one is going to be taking a lot of damage or have other issues when one uses it). I'd be fine with it.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-17, 06:34 PM
Would you allow this feat at your table?

Probably not. It's a rarely utilizes feat that becomes very powerful (as it breaks the action economy) only in a very particular set of circumstances. Add that the characters most likely to take it are very unlikely to pass save DCs against high-level abilities, so this is basically no penalty at all for the effect.

I'd also be concerned about allies firing low-damage AoE abilities to give their buddies extra move actions, and denying that capability via the feat rules would feel awkward.

So I probably wouldn't allow it. Not because it's to strong, but because it's either useless or oddly swingy, and it interacts strangely with a number of weaker and/or allied effects.

JoshuaZ
2013-09-17, 06:40 PM
Probably not. It's a rarely utilizes feat that becomes very powerful (as it breaks the action economy) only in a very particular set of circumstances. Add that the characters most likely to take it are very unlikely to pass save DCs against high-level abilities, so this is basically no penalty at all for the effect.

I'd also be concerned about allies firing low-damage AoE abilities to give their buddies extra move actions, and denying that capability via the feat rules would feel awkward.

Well, that convinces me to go with no also then, which is too bad because the idea is cool. The action economy issue is a serious one an I don't know how to make up for it in any sane way. And the fact that it would apply primarily to people who would likely fail the save is also serious.

But there really should be some way to get something similar to work. I'm not sure though how to do it mechanically. Maybe restrict to a five foot step? Butt then it will likely be too weak.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-17, 06:46 PM
But there really should be some way to get something similar to work. I'm not sure though how to do it mechanically. Maybe restrict to a five foot step? Butt then it will likely be too weak.

The easiest fix is to allow it as an alternative to making a SUCCESSFUL save: opt to take full damage (half damage if you have Improved Evasion) in exchange for closing the distance (maybe with a single free attack). You'd shunt it into the realm of Rogues and other fast characters, which would make the damage meaningful, especially as they'd be completely evading it otherwise.

I'd also probably specify that effects created by your allies do NOT give you the ability to use this ability.

Couple it with maybe a minor Reflex boost or a minor speed boost to make sure the feat is granting you something even in non-optimal conditions.

gr8artist
2013-09-17, 06:48 PM
Metamagic with downsides other than altered spell levels.
Increase dice size but take static penalty, increase area but drop the DC, etc.

Ranged equivalent for Power Attack (thank you, Pathfinder).

Spell equivalent for Power Attack.

Feats that grant class features, to reduce dipping.

NichG
2013-09-17, 07:08 PM
I don't actually think the action economy issue is all that bad - movement alone isn't very powerful, and an ally burning a standard action to give someone else a move action (albeit in a weird way) is kind of a bad trade usually - there are already ways for someone to burn a standard action to give someone else an extra attack or even a full round action (thank you White Raven Tactics...).

Also, what's wrong with the alchemist and gnome barbarian making a 'rocket-powered-gnome' combo with some alchemist fire? I guess it doesn't fit the tone of some games.

Now, if there's some PrC ability somewhere that lets you make a full attack every time you move, then it becomes an issue.

Perseus
2013-09-17, 07:23 PM
Martial Spellcasting.

Fighter 8, Monk 8, Rogue 10, Barbarian 10

Choose one spell that a sorcerer of your level would normally be able to cast on the list below.

You may recreate this effect a number of times an encounter equal to your Con Mod (minimum 1). This ability still grants saving throws which the DC is 10 + 1/2 ECL + Strength or Dexterity mod.

(I would make a list of spells that can be explained as Ex... Like disintegrate = hitting really hars or plane shift = cutting the fabric of time and space).

NichG
2013-09-17, 07:27 PM
Martial Spellcasting.

Fighter 8, Monk 8, Rogue 10, Barbarian 10

Choose one spell that a sorcerer of your level would normally be able to cast on the list below.

You may recreate this effect a number of times an encounter equal to your Con Mod (minimum 1). This ability still grants saving throws which the DC is 10 + 1/2 ECL + Strength or Dexterity mod.

(I would make a list of spells that can be explained as Ex... Like disintegrate = hitting really hars or plane shift = cutting the fabric of time and space).

This isn't a bad idea but I think it'll be more palatable if you call it something like 'Mythic Deed' or 'Legendary Ability'.

Amridell
2013-09-17, 08:02 PM
The easiest fix is to allow it as an alternative to making a SUCCESSFUL save: opt to take full damage (half damage if you have Improved Evasion) in exchange for closing the distance (maybe with a single free attack). You'd shunt it into the realm of Rogues and other fast characters, which would make the damage meaningful, especially as they'd be completely evading it otherwise.

I'd also probably specify that effects created by your allies do NOT give you the ability to use this ability.

Couple it with maybe a minor Reflex boost or a minor speed boost to make sure the feat is granting you something even in non-optimal conditions.

This.

Also, more mobility feats in general. I think the way to make monks/rogues better in combat would be to make them feel like what they are-agile combatants that can jump through anything to kill.

JoshuaZ
2013-09-17, 09:30 PM

Hmm, about the following version then:

Ride the Explosion
Prerequisites: Dex 13+
Benefit: When you succeed on making a Reflex save for partial damage, you may instead choose to voluntarily fail your saving throw, and take an additional 1d6 damage of whatever type of damage the effect does. If you chose to do so, you may immediately move up to your base land speed towards the source (or caster, if applicable) of the effect. You may only take this action once per round, even if you are forced to make Reflex saves against multiple effects. Also, you get a +2 bonus reflex saves for any effect that allows a reflex save for partial damage.

That still allows one to do stunts with your players rocket blasting you around, but the extra damage should help prevent that being used too much and that's not exactly a great tactic anyways.

Metamagic with downsides other than altered spell levels.
Increase dice size but take static penalty, increase area but drop the DC, etc.

Ranged equivalent for Power Attack (thank you, Pathfinder).

Spell equivalent for Power Attack.

Feats that grant class features, to reduce dipping.

Some of these are easier to do than others. Metamagic could be awkward if it isn't done carefully. Something like the Metamagic material components might do it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/metamagicComponents.htm) (Heck being able to do so in a setting where that doesn't otherwise happen might be a reasonable feat itself.)

But how about the following:

Mage Draining Spell [Metamagic]
Prerequisites: Able to cast 1st level arcane spells.
Benefit: A Mage Draining Spell may only effect a spell that has allows a save and spell resistance. When you cast a mage draining spell you must also sacrifice a spell slot of at least the same level of the spell cast. Any spellcaster who fails their save against a Mage Draining Spell loses one spell slot or prepared spell randomly selected of their highest level. If they have multiple spellcasting classes this occurs separately for each class.

I like the feats instead of class levels idea, and I don't know if these would do a decent job. More editing and balancing may be required.

Sneak Attack
Prerequisites: BAB 3+, May not have any sneak attack damage.
Benefit: You gain 1d6 sneak attack damage just as if you were a first level rogue.
Special: If you ever gain sneak attack (such as taking rogue levels) this feat immediately stops functioning, but you may choose at that time to replace this feat with any fighter bonus feat you meet the prerequisites for.

Magician
Prerequisites: You may not have any class levels that grant prepared arcane spellcasting.
Benefit: You have learned some small skill in magic similar to, but not as fully trained as a wizard. Chose 3 cantrips and a level 1 spell slot from the sorcerer/wizard list. You gain 2 spell slots, a level 0 spell slot and a level 1 spell slot. You may prepare and cast spells from a spellbook just like a first level wizard but may only prepare the spells you chose. You do not get any bonus spell slots from a high ability score, but use your intelligence to determine your save DCs (if any). If you take this feat at first level, you automatically receive a spellbook containing your chosen spells.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, you add an additional 3 cantrips and an additional level 1 spell to your list. Also, if you ever gain any levels in wizard or any other class that prepares arcane spells, any copies of this feat cease to function. However, you may immediately replace any copies of this feat with metamagic, item creation, or spell focus feats that you meet the prerequsite for.

Note: The above feat can also be fluffed as a feat for an apprentice wizard.

Lesser Sorcerer
Prerequisites: You may not have any class levels that grant spontaneous arcane spellcasting
Benefit: You have learned some small semblance of sorcery. Chose 1 cantrips and a level 1 spell slot from the sorcerer/wizard list. You gain 2 spell slots, a level 0 spell slot and 2 level 1 spell slots. You may cast spells spontaneously using these spell slots just as if you were a first level sorcerer with spells known. You do not get any bonus spell slots from a high ability score, but use your charisma to determine your save DCs of your spells.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, you add an additional cantrip or an additional level 1 spell to your list of spells known. Also, if you ever gain any levels in sorcerer or any other class that spontaneously arcane spells, you instead lose your spell slots granted from this feat and treat the spells given as extra spells known.

Pious Soul
Prerequisites: You may not have any class levels that grant prepared divine spellcasting.
Benefit: You have a small ability to channel some divine force. Chose 1 cantrips and a level 1 spell slot from the cleric list. You gain 2 spell slots, a level 0 spell slot and 2 level 1 spell slots. You may prepare and cast spells these spells just like a first level cleric. You do not get any bonus spell slots from a high ability score, but use your wisdom to determine your save DCs of your spells.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, you add a cantrip and an additional level 1 spell to your list of spells you may prepare. Also, if you ever gain any levels in cleric or any other class that prepares divine spells, you immediately lose the benefits of this. You may immediately replace any copies of this feat with Skill Focus Knowledge(Religion), [Divine] feat, Improved Turning, or Extra Turning, Natural Spell, or a metamagic or item creation feat. You must meet meet the prerequisites for the new feat.

Perseus
2013-09-17, 10:19 PM
This isn't a bad idea but I think it'll be more palatable if you call it something like 'Mythic Deed' or 'Legendary Ability'.

Thanks, oh yeah the name was more or less a cop out haha.

But magic has always been this untouchable thing when really many of the effects can be explained through Ex abilities but WotC doesn't want to disturb the sacred cow.

I'm going to write up this feat sometime and may even write up a template of sorts to add onto mundanes so that they automatically gain this stuff.

But its off to bed with me.

Edit:

Magic Eater

Choose a number of spells equal to Con Mod (min 1) + ECL (when you gain levels you may select more spells). You are immune to all effects of these spells.

Creatures brought forth by using summon monster/nature ally can't touch you but a monster called can.

When you are targeted by spells you are immune to you gain a number of temp HP equal to spell level + caster's spell casting modifier. You may take this feat one additional time but gain [con mod] additional spells added to list of immune spells in addition.

(I lied and wanted to post this... This is based off a really cool soulmeld).

PraxisVetli
2013-09-17, 11:46 PM

Ride the Explosion
Benefit: When you succeed on making a Reflex save for partial damage, you may instead choose to voluntarily fail your saving throw, and take an additional 1d6 damage of whatever type of damage the effect does. If you chose to do so, you may immediately move up to your base land speed towards the source (or caster, if applicable) of the effect. You may only take this action once per round, even if you are forced to make Reflex saves against multiple effects. Also, you get a +2 bonus reflex saves for any effect that allows a reflex save for partial damage.

That still allows one to do stunts with your players rocket blasting you around, but the extra damage should help prevent that being used too much and that's not exactly a great tactic anyways.
I can dig that, especially since it grantsthe ability to move, not a move action. Stops people from abusing Belt of Battle with it.

PraxisVetli
2013-09-17, 11:54 PM
Also, I know I'm off-topic'ing my own thread, but man, I wish the Heal Skill wasn't so useless.
Though I did once find a table that allowed points per rank in Heal; points could be spent on Synthentic Cure type Spells.
It was meh, we tried it in a campaign, end result was so long as you kept Heal capped, you were essentially half you Character lvl in Cleric. With way less spells per day.
And it was just flat too much hassle.

Andion Isurand
2013-09-17, 11:59 PM
http://magerune.blogspot.com/2011/10/feat-sheet-102611.html

NichG
2013-09-18, 12:04 AM
I think Magic Eater is too swingy, and it basically forces the people playing a Fighter to go and learn everything a Wizard could do to them to decide what handful of things they don't want the Wizard to do to them. Its also kind of poorly explained why somehow 'not being magical' translates to being 'antimagical'.

For that matter, its a really good feat for Wizards too - take it for Dispel Magic and you can no longer be counter-spelled, etc. Or for anyone really.

Also, I know I'm off-topic'ing my own thread, but man, I wish the Heal Skill wasn't so useless. Though I did once find a table that allowed points per rank in Heal; points could be spent on Synthentic Cure type Spells. It was meh, we tried it in a campaign, end result was so long as you kept Heal capped, you were essentially half you Character lvl in Cleric. With way less spells per day. And it was just flat too much hassle.

In my last campaign there were status conditions that flat out required a certain number of ranks of Heal to remove, and you could resolve most status conditions (Nauseated, etc) with a Heal check. People still didn't take Heal, but there were a few times the party wished someone had.

PraxisVetli
2013-09-18, 12:07 AM
For that matter, its a really good feat for Wizards too - take it for Dispel Magic and you can no longer be counter-spelled, etc. Or for anyone really.
Yeah...that could be an issue...

Perseus
2013-09-18, 05:35 AM
Yeah...that could be an issue...

Of course there would be exceptions, that was a first draft I wanted to throw out there.

The thing about feats is that they are so underpowered that people make new ones balanced with the old ones.

Feats really really need a boost in power and they need to not have draw backs unless they are really good. Spellward shirt gives you immunity to a ton of spells changeable each day so Magic Eater isn't that crazy. Plus dispell magic is usually only used by players cause when a DM uses it it is considered being a bad DM (all jokes aside DMs don't use it all that much I've found, to troublesome).

However for magic eater and magic eater 2 (both prototypes) they will drop your caster level by 4 or 6 mage slayer does.

Magic Eater 2

Choose three schools of magic. You always take half effect/duration/penalty from any spell in these schools. Any positive effect from a spell in these school are not affected. When targeted by these spells you gain a number of temp HP equal to Spell Level + Caster's casting Stat.

Taking this feat reduces your caster level by 6.

Improved Save
Fighter 8, Rogue 10, Barbarian 8, Ranger 10

Choose Fort, Ref, or Will. You gain a good progression on your save table. Recalculate as if class always had this good save progression. This feat may only be taken once.

Krazzman
2013-09-18, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't restrict the class feature ones that if taken you exchange them for something...

I would go:
Backstabbing:
Prereqs: BaB +3, Dex 13.
Benefit: You gain +1d6 Sneak Attack damage like the Sneak Attack ability of the Rogue.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times.

Something giving you spontaneous casting is already there, albeit it is a faerun feat. That feat slightly pimped would be a pretty decent feat to get on a Totemist to dip Dragon Disciple.

Maybe make the special thing for the caster classes be that they get an extra 1st level slot(in case they know all their list give them a +1 CL on their chosen spell).

Perseus
2013-09-18, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't restrict the class feature ones that if taken you exchange them for something...

I would go:
Backstabbing:
Prereqs: BaB +3, Dex 13.
Benefit: You gain +1d6 Sneak Attack damage like the Sneak Attack ability of the Rogue.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times.

Something giving you spontaneous casting is already there, albeit it is a faerun feat. That feat slightly pimped would be a pretty decent feat to get on a Totemist to dip Dragon Disciple.

Maybe make the special thing for the caster classes be that they get an extra 1st level slot(in case they know all their list give them a +1 CL on their chosen spell).

This Backstab is a feat though for the generic classes. Look on d20srd.org

PraxisVetli
2013-09-18, 02:06 PM
How would Improved Save affect multiclassers?

Perseus
2013-09-18, 05:18 PM
How would Improved Save affect multiclassers?

Choose 1 class and that save from that class becomes a good save progression.

Really doesn't help multiclassers as much I guess unless you are dipping and have 2 classes.

Edit: perhaps make the feat

Special: you may take this feat multiple times but only once per class that has been taken by the PC.

Zaydos
2013-09-19, 12:43 PM
Killing Momentum
You have learned to make the most of the battlefield, pushing forward as one enemy dies to move on to the next.
Prerequisites: Cleave, Great Cleave, BAB +11.
Benefit: When you drop an enemy as part of a full-attack you may move up to your speed before making any attacks granted by Cleave or Great Cleave. You may only use this feat a number of times in a single round equal to your Base Attack Bonus. The movement from this feat does not provoke attacks of opportunity for leaving threatened squares.

Because Cleave stops working at high levels and I just keep thinking about scenes in the Illiad where Hector, guy whose name I can't remember despite being able to beat Ares, and to a lesser extent Ajax are running across the battlefield just slaughtering things.

ddude987
2013-09-19, 01:04 PM

Ride the Explosion

What happens if the caster and the spell are invisible. RAW you still walk towards the source. I would either write in restrictions, or, since melee users are already very restricted and can't break the action economy, make the feat allow you to move wherever you chose within your movement speed of course.

Killing Momentum
You have learned to make the most of the battlefield, pushing forward as one enemy dies to move on to the next.
Prerequisites: Cleave, Great Cleave, BAB +11.
Benefit: When you drop an enemy as part of a full-attack you may move up to your speed before making any attacks granted by Cleave or Great Cleave. You may only use this feat a number of times in a single round equal to your Base Attack Bonus. The movement from this feat does not provoke attacks of opportunity for leaving threatened squares.

Isn't there an unending charge feat for this purpose?

Zaydos
2013-09-19, 01:06 PM
Isn't there an unending charge feat for this purpose?

Not that I've ever heard of, putting the term unending charge feat into google doesn't get me anything but Powerful Charge and a reference to a 3.0 A&E lance.

Edit: Looking up the lance it does much the same thing but only on a charge (which it doesn't say it makes compatible with Cleave and since Cleave requires a Full-Attack I'd chalk that up to bad editing or lack of understanding the rules) and even then you can only continue in the direction of the charge so it only works if all your enemies are in a straight line.

Jane_Smith
2013-09-19, 02:22 PM
I believe Knight Protector from complete warrior had something like Mighty Cleave, where he could continue a cleave by making a move between each target? Or, I think that was the name of the prc. Picture of a human and dwarf in blue-ish armor fighting?

Zaydos
2013-09-19, 02:40 PM
I believe Knight Protector from complete warrior had something like Mighty Cleave, where he could continue a cleave by making a move between each target? Or, I think that was the name of the prc. Picture of a human and dwarf in blue-ish armor fighting?

Limited to 5-ft step and uses your 5-ft step for the round. It was my favorite PrC when Sword and Fist came out for 3.0.

Jane_Smith
2013-09-19, 02:59 PM
Same. I always tried to get one as a cohort. XD Then drow of the underdark came out with the guardian feats, just made it all the better.

But, isn't there a feat or class feature that makes your 5 foot step for the round a 10 foot step? And another that lets you make it twice per round/etc? The idea was just to use those obscure feats/etc to be able to move like 20-30 feet with great cleave. God i can't remember there names, its been way to long.

Anyway, I like your version more anyway, I was just telling you it did kinda exists, but required some supplements/hunting and like a prc and 2-3 feats to do.

And a feat that should have been in the game a long time ago - why is there not more feats that augment your vision/hearing/perception RANGE? Not low light vision, dark vision, or blind sense, nothing that gives you special vision - but like, oh your normal eye sight is twice as far then normal, or four times, or twenty times. You'd think hawks/eagles, avoriels, elves, etc would get it for free.

I know spot/listen and perception (in pathfinder) bonuses is the equivalent to how far you can see, etc, but its not a huge boost. Even with skill focus and as an elf, your only going to see like 20 feet further then a normal human, or spot a nearby hidden enemy a little easier. There is nothing in the game that just says, ok, you can see x2-5 times further then normal before taking spot/listen/perception penalties.

Also, I find it kinda hilarious because that means extremely large monsters are basically near sighted. Oh look, this giant 120 foot wide, 600 foot tall giant can only see like 100-200 feet ahead clearly.

ddude987
2013-09-19, 05:18 PM
Not that I've ever heard of, putting the term unending charge feat into google doesn't get me anything but Powerful Charge and a reference to a 3.0 A&E lance.

Edit: Looking up the lance it does much the same thing but only on a charge (which it doesn't say it makes compatible with Cleave and since Cleave requires a Full-Attack I'd chalk that up to bad editing or lack of understanding the rules) and even then you can only continue in the direction of the charge so it only works if all your enemies are in a straight line.

Ah I believed it worked by getting great cleave the powerful charge and pounce or something like that.

urkthegurk
2013-09-19, 05:49 PM
As an feat chain from Face the Fire, what about 'Melee Counterspell':

Melee Counterspell:
Req: Face the Fire, BAB something-or-other

When you Face the Fire, if you end your movement next to the caster of the effect you can also make a single melee attack against them at full BAB.

How about you can do this attack against any opponent you end your move next to?

... a feat or class feature that makes your 5 foot step for the round a 10 foot step? And another that lets you make it twice per round/etc? The idea was just to use those obscure feats/etc to be able to move like 20-30 feet with great cleave. God i can't remember there names, its been way to long.

Anyway, I like your version more anyway, I was just telling you it did kinda exists, but required some supplements/hunting and like a prc and 2-3 feats to do.

This feat progression seems entirely reasonable to me. Its more along the lines of what fighters should be able to do using feats alone.

...why is there not more feats that augment your vision/hearing/perception RANGE? Not low light vision, dark vision, or blind sense, nothing that gives you special vision - but like, oh your normal eye sight is twice as far then normal, or four times, or twenty times. You'd think hawks/eagles, avoriels, elves, etc would get it for free.

The monster manual states that Avorals can 'see detail in objects up to ten miles away and are said to be able to discern the colour of a creature's eyes at 200 paces.' Now they've got a spot skill of +18, which is including the same +8 bonus that hawks and so on get. That's a hefty bonus, but my gut tells me there's something else going on here, like the 'range increments' on vision you're pointing out

Network
2013-09-19, 06:00 PM

You don't need a full-attack to use Cleave. You can even use it on an attack of opportunity.

Killing Momentum looks somewhat similar to a PrC class feature from Mongoose (ever heard of the Legend class?), but better and more easily accessible.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-19, 06:17 PM
Instant Counter
Prereq: Dex 13
Effect: Once per round, if an enemy within range performs an action that requires concentration, you may immediately make a ranged attack against them, similar to an attack of opportunity. If you hit, double the damage for purposes of interrupting their concentration.

Greater Instant Counter
Prereq: Combat Reflexes, Instant Counter
Effect: You may make as many Instant Counters as you can Attacks of Opportunity.

Field Shot
Prereq: none
Effect: +4 bonus to ranged attack rolls against non-adjacent enemies in open terrain (10 or more feet from any sort of cover)
Special: Can be taken multiple times. The effects stack.

Penetrating Shot
Prereq: Strength 16, Dexterity 16, Deadly Aim
Effect: Your ranged attacks penetrate barriers, allowing you to hit at enemies behind them, if your strength modifier+total enhancement bonus of your weapon at least matches the barrier's thickness in inches plus its hardness score. Both the barrier and the creature you aim at take damage normally. Magical barriers without hardness may use 1/2 their caster level in its place.

Just to Browse
2013-09-19, 08:32 PM
Instant counter makes archers auto-win against attack casters and makes buff casters even stronger than they were before. I don't think that should be encouraged.

Field Shot is both overpowered (when useful) and incredibly disappointing (when not useful). It also appears to work better in small tunnels than in fields.

Penetrating Shot needs bigger numbers. Right now that'll let me punch through wood... maybe.

EDIT: It's always strange to me when a character gets to perform more actions by virtue of an enemy doing something. It seems to screw with physics of the world a lot more than desired. Making extra attacks, running faster, being harder to hit just because someone who isn't you did something is very dissociative.

ddude987
2013-09-19, 09:14 PM
Instant counter makes archers auto-win against attack casters and makes buff casters even stronger than they were before. I don't think that should be encouraged.

Most casters, even with little optimization, will have something to stop it. Abjurant Jaunt, wind wall, being invisible etc. so I don't see it being to much of a problem. You hit the BBEG and his minions the first few times, then he learns and then his minions either learn or die.

Perseus
2013-09-19, 09:54 PM
Most casters, even with little optimization, will have something to stop it. Abjurant Jaunt, wind wall, being invisible etc. so I don't see it being to much of a problem. You hit the BBEG and his minions the first few times, then he learns and then his minions either learn or die.

Abrupt Jaunt isn't as powerful as people think, unless you move outside the range of an attack it can still hit you.

Anyways...

Penetrating Shot should just be able to ignore hardness and damage reduction.. Why? Because it penetrates and with yours you still can't target a creature that is on the other side of a wall and will have 50% miss chance... If you knew where they were.

Basically mountain hammer for ranged types.

Just to Browse
2013-09-19, 10:28 PM

The first one isn't "little optimization", it gets banned the way polymorph, shapechange, and time stop are banned. The second two are not attack spells and are instead buff spells, supporting my point.

anacalgion
2013-09-20, 12:35 AM
Not to get too full of myself or anything but I started a thread with some feat redesigns much in the same vein as these. I'd really appreciate anyone giving it a look so here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304165) it is.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-20, 01:28 AM
Abrupt jaunt will only trigger a second Instant Counter once you got the greater version, and so would celerity or any of the other immediate action crap a wizard tries to pull off.

Wind wall, wings of cover, even wall of force is penetrated by Penetrating Shot.

If simple invisibility is a problem for anyone beyond lvl 8 or so, they deserve to get blasted.

As for physical reactions allowing for more actions, no they don't. They allow for more effective actions and the abstract combat system only counts those. Pick up a sword; you can swing it way faster than once per 6 seconds. Those extra swings are not taken into account though because you aren't an epic level fighter and you're going to get at most one barely effective attack out of that many swings.

So when someone takes an AoO or makes a counter, they don't act faster; they only take advantage of an opportunity or other opening.

Last but not least, field shot works as it was intended. Archery is generally weak and needs the boost. As for when it works, it's easier to hit a guy across an empty corridor than in an open field - in the field he could roll into cover or dodge wildly whereas in the corridor he has nowhere to go.

Ghost Nappa
2013-09-20, 06:40 AM
Something that allows Ranged Rogues to Sneak Attack from outside a Medium Creature's Movement Range. Even just incrementing it to 45 ft would be good.

Perseus
2013-09-20, 08:40 AM
Something that allows Ranged Rogues to Sneak Attack from outside a Medium Creature's Movement Range. Even just incrementing it to 45 ft would be good.

It should just be part of the class.

Jane_Smith
2013-09-20, 10:08 AM
I made a feat once for that, called Deadly Aim, that allows precision based damage, sneak attacks, sudden attacks, etc that have a "range limit" (like point blank shot even), to work within the first range increment of any ranged weapon you use. So 110 feet sneak attacks with a composite longbow.

Also, in pathfinder there is a rogue archtype called Sniper that allows you to ignore all but total cover when attacking from ranged at the cost of your trap finding, but only out to 30 feet... combined with deadly aim, which it works with as I wrote it, makes a very fun combo. Im actually playing an elf rogue as a rapid-fire/precision based archer in my next game.