PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Snowflakes from SPACE!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-25, 03:40 PM
Crystalline Entity

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/da/ST-TNG_Silicon_Avatar.jpg/300px-ST-TNG_Silicon_Avatar.jpg

Huge Aberration
Hit Dice: 28d8+168 (294 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: Fly 400 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 39 (+4 deflection, +3 dexterity, +24 natural, -2 size), touch 15, flat-footed 36
Base Attack/Grapple: +21/+41
Attack: Arm +31 melee (1d8+12/19-20x2 plus 1d4 con drain)
Full Attack: 16 arms +31 melee (1d8+12/19-20x2 plus 1d4 con drain) or 16 touches +31 touch (1d4 con drain)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Hunger for life
Special Qualities: Blindsight 1000 ft., damage reduction 10/-, etherborn, teleport, vulnerability to sonics
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +14, Will +17
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 17, Con 22, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 18
Skills: Listen +32
Feats: Ability Focus (hunger for life), Dodge, Flyby Attack, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (arms), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Lightening Reflexes, Mobility, Power Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 22
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral or neutral evil
Advancement: 29-40 HD (Huge), 41-68 HD (Gargantuan), 69-81 HD (Colossal), 82+ HD (Colossal+)
Level Adjustment: -

This creature resembles an enormous, towering snowflake taller than most trees. Branch after crystaline branch glistens and glows with coursing energy.

Crystaline entities are enigmatic beings that are said to arrive from the depths of space to slowly, or not so slowly, wipe out entire planets. They have an insatiable appetite that keeps them destroying acre upon acre, continent by continent of all life until the land is rendered more desolate than the dryest desert. Once an entire world has become sterile they transport away, spending months teleporting through the desolate reaches of the ether for the next world to ravage.

Crystaline entities speak a language of high-pitched, resonating frequencies that is almost impossible to hear by most creatures.

Combat
The crystaline entity is only concerned with hunger, and generally tries not to kill its prey physically as this would detract from its feeding, instead using its hunger for life to drain others of their energy.

Hunger For Life (Ex): Once per minute the crystaline entity may release a 100 ft. cone of bright light that deals 2d6 points of damage per hit die of the Crystaline Entity (DC 32 fortitude save halves). This acts as the Disintegrate spell, except that it is only effective against living creatures and has no damage limit. For every 5 hit points dealt by this cone the crystaline entity gains 1 extra hit point as it feeds on the life force. These hit points may not exceed twice its healthy total, and last for 24 hours. This cone may pass through 20 feet of dirt or wood, 10 feet of stone, or 1 foot of normal metals. It cannot pass through mithral, adamantine, or any other substance with a hardness of 15 or higher. Any square of land that is touched with the cone is rendered sterile and cannot support life for a year. The save DC is Constitution-based.

As well, the touch of the crystaline entity drains 1d4 points of constitution.

Etherborn (Ex): The crystaline entity does not breathe, and is immune to cold and pressure damage.

Teleport (Sp): The Crystaline Entity may use Teleport, as the spell, at will, with a caster level equal to twice its HD. Once per day it may use Greater Teleport.

Vulnerability to Sonics: A crystaline entity takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from sonic effects, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure. As well, if the crystaline entity fails a save against a sonic attack it is rendered Stunned for 1 round.

Whirlwind Attack (Ex): A crystaline entity may spin in place, its dozens of razor-sharp arms slashing, slamming and gouging all those in range. This acts as if the crystaline entity had the whirlwind attack feat, even if it does not meet the prerequisites.

XtheYeti
2006-12-25, 07:23 PM
Oh dear god... wehat would posess you to make this and why is it not vulnerable to fire?

Oh btw...AHAHAHA!!! ITS UNSTOPABLE!!!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-25, 07:29 PM
Oh dear god... wehat would posess you to make this and why is it not vulnerable to fire?
Eh, just always thought it one of Star Trek's cooler creatures. Anyways, its not a TRUE giant snowflake. Its pure crystal, so no real problem with fire.

The Demented One
2006-12-25, 07:44 PM
Wait, show you based off of it? Did you write Star Trek episodes, or somesuch? Anyways, neat. Might be a bit under-CR'd, but with epics, who can really tell?

Vaynor
2006-12-26, 02:37 AM
There needs to be a book, "The Vorpal Tribble Monstravanganza". Maybe two, one might be too little room.

Fizban
2006-12-26, 06:37 AM
Wait, show you based off of it? Did you write Star Trek episodes, or somesuch? Anyways, neat. Might be a bit under-CR'd, but with epics, who can really tell?
Methinks grammar has sticken once more.
"based it off of" not "off of it"

Vaynor
2006-12-26, 03:18 PM

Methinks spelling has "sticken" once again. Or maybe that was "stricken"....

:smallwink:

The Demented One
2006-12-26, 04:46 PM
Aha. I see. I like my version better, still.

Strucken?

Demented
2006-12-26, 05:28 PM
I calculated it, and as long as it uses its Teleportation every round, it can literally travel light years in a few weeks as it did in the show I based it off of. Over a million miles an hour.

Huh?

I calc'd 37 years/light year for an 82HD version.
What am I missing?

Fizban
2006-12-26, 07:00 PM

:smallwink:
Silence, my spelling is impeci....imepca...SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-27, 01:23 PM
Huh?

I calc'd 37 years/light year for an 82HD version.
What am I missing?
Actually, you are right... for some inexplicable reason I calculated AU's instead of Light Years.

Ok, I'm saying it can use Greater Teleport once per day. Now it can go from world to world as long as it has an inkling of what kind it wishes to visit.

fangthane
2006-12-27, 01:53 PM
Hmmm... Based on a limit of 2800 miles per teleport (which takes 6 seconds) I got the following...
(100 miles/level*round)*(28 levels)*(5280 feet/mile)*(1/3.333 meters/foot)/(6 seconds/round) = max speed (in meters per second)
7.4E05 m/s speed
Light, on the other hand, travels at 3.0E08 m/s, roughly 400 times faster. It either needs to cast teleport at 400 times its HD as a caster level, or it needs Greater Teleport (which has no range restriction at all)
Doh, ninja'd while I did some actual work! Foul! Foul!

Also, I note that its strength bonus wasn't added to its base in order to calculate its actual attack bonus. Nor does its full bonus appear to have been added to its other attacks...
Grapple = +21 + 8 (huge) +12 (str) = +41 (not 31)
Attack = +21 - 2 (huge) +12 (str) = +31 (not 21)

A couple other points which could stand to be made clear within the creature design... Does the disintegrate effect max at 40 dice of damage as the spell, or does it deal twice the creature's HD on a fail regardless of how many that may be?
Also, I'm assuming you mean disintegrate, rather than the spell used to turn Ents back into trees... ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-28, 12:18 PM
*adjusts his early-morning-addled creation*

fangthane
2006-12-28, 01:26 PM
If it's a consolation I think it's safe to say we've all been there ;) I've seen very few posts which didn't require at least a couple of edits.

I was thinking, Star Trek seems to be a pretty decent spot to seek inspiration too... I can see making a beastie patterned after the goo that killed Tasha as well as many others. I wonder if anyone's ever statted up the Horta.

bosssmiley
2006-12-29, 03:31 PM
There needs to be a book, "The Vorpal Tribble Monstravanganza". Maybe two, one might be too little room.

I've been saying this for months now. Been waiting to give the big, hairy Georgian some money in return for a collection of his gribbly beasts, but he just won't be having it. :smallwink:

Iituem
2006-12-30, 01:14 PM
You know, this thing would be rather vulnerable to the undead.

Fizban
2006-12-30, 01:43 PM
Everyone has said that VT needs to make a book, and I'm pretty sure he said he's looking to get published eventually, so just copy/paste and wait for it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-30, 02:29 PM
You know, this thing would be rather vulnerable to the undead.
No more than anyone else. And it can still shred them into piece.

Everyone has said that VT needs to make a book, and I'm pretty sure he said he's looking to get published eventually, so just copy/paste and wait for it.
Well, if Dragon Magazine doesn't get with the game and start responding to folks (talked to over a dozen who've heard nothing back no matter how many mails are or are not sent) then I might just have to do my own.

ImpFireball
2006-12-30, 10:04 PM
Wonder if the Thog feat, Boredom Driven Rampage could be enough for this thing. Kinda doubtful though. Boredom Driven Rampage is under page 3 of the "Thog Feats!" thread.

Danu
2006-12-31, 12:54 AM
Shouldn't the 'crystialline entity' be able to destroy most undead as well? Most undead have some form of flesh, even if that flesh is no longer living.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-31, 01:03 AM
Shouldn't the 'crystialline entity' be able to destroy most undead as well? Most undead have some form of flesh, even if that flesh is no longer living.
But thats it, it feeds off the life of creatures. Undead are not only not alive, but animated by sort of an anti-life power.

ImpFireball
2006-12-31, 07:13 PM
So, can Boredom Driven Rampage be enough for this creature?

I really need some ppl reading up on that.

Tussy the Druid
2007-01-01, 06:06 PM
Jesus. That is a big snowflake.